AF needs funding again

- - - - -

Should I get braces? Does it damage your teeth?

115 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

Well, i'm a 16 year old male, and i'm thinking about whether i should get braces or not. i really want to better align my teeth, but then my mom told me there are certain complications that happen in future, like it will make your teeth loose, and cause your teeth to fall out earlier than usual. Is this true?

#2 impression151

impression151

Sexually Confused

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

Don't even believe in that. Without good teeth, you will get nowhere in most of the world, especially if you live in America. It's all about looks here in AMerica.

#3 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

Demoted due to spamming

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:18 PM

i had braces before and it didn't damage my teeth in any way. but when you first get it, it is really hard to eat so you would have to eat liquids for a few days because your teeth won't be as befire as strong

#4 idofan

idofan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

I have brace long time ago. After braces your teeth will be all straight and aligned. But what I noticed was that after awhile 1 of more of your tooth may die and you likely to have more cavities. Your tooth may die because of all the pulling while wearing braces.

#5 bedelicious

bedelicious

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:53 AM

I don't think your teeth will fall out in the future if you get braces. Well, i had braces for a couple of years now and my teeth are pearly white and straight. Nothing has ever happened to any of my teeth yet. Just take good care of your teeth and you'll be fine.

#6 pk_heaven

pk_heaven

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:03 AM

I had braces, now they are out and after a few years. when they are out, teeth were align and straight as anything. few years on, teeths have gone un-aligned and feels all crooked.

#7 Guests

• Guests

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:13 AM

i think you should wait until ur wisdom teeth come in. your 16 now and its gonna take 2 years before your can take it out. but around that time your wisdom teeth gonna come and they might mess up ur teeth. then you'll have to get braces again.

#8 smash901

smash901

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:04 AM

i had braces when i was about 13. i'm 15 now. and nothing is wrong. braces aren't bad. they're not as bad as some people make it seem. to me, the only bad side is if they need to remove your teeth and when they tighten them. because then it becomes pretty hard to eat.

why don't you ask for a dentist's adive? i think thats the best.

#9 rubie

rubie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

You should get braces younger rather than older. Your gums will heal faster because you are still growing. If you wait, it'll take longer to heal. As for the teeth becoming unaligned afterwards, it won't happen if you stay on retainers after the braces come off. Make sure your dentist is around to monitor everything when your wisdom teeth are coming out. I'm sure the dentist will make sure it looks ok. Besides, you don't want to wear braces after you start college.

#10 MlonerM

MlonerM

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

I had braces before...it didn't damage my teeth..however, you have to make sure that your dentist actually cares for you instead of just the money...I heard stories where dentists just cares about the money and so just try to fix someone's teeth with in like a year or something....it would hurt the roots if the dentist try to move it too much...so has to do it slowly...or even if they did not damage the teeth, your teeth will go back to where they were with in weeks...

#11 yping

yping

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:01 PM

I think about now is the right time for braces. By 16 all your milk teeth would have been replaced by permanent teeth, your bone is relatively strong but not too dense, so easier for teeth to move and a full mouth x-ray can determine whether your wisdom teeth are there or not. If they might cause future problems, then a good treatment plan to either make space for the wisdom teeth to erupt (because usually the problem with wisdom teeth are lack of space for them to erupt and function normally) or the wisdom teeth might be removed if they might cause lots of problems.
Usually in straight forward cases, fixed braces takes about 18 to 24 months duration followed by retainers (removable 6 mths full time, or fixed retainers are permanent usually placed at the back surfaces of your lower front teeth to prevent the teeth from crowding again).
No, braces will not cause your teeth to become loose. Unless of course, u already have gum disease. With the fixed braces in, it makes cleaning teeth harder and might worsen existing gum disease plus the teeth might not be stable after treatment due to lack of bony support of the roots of teeth. If u have very crowded teeth, then, u might be prone to decay in between your teeth because they r harder to clean and constantly traps food. So, braces will actually improve not just the aesthetics of your smile but also makes it easier to maintain a good oral hygiene.
Hope this helps

#12 Guests

• Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:59 AM

Braces will actually help you instead of harming your teeth...because when you're teeth are all crooked it is harder to floss and clean between it because it is not straight and aligned and also it could boost your confidence level because you know your teeth are straight and have a beautiful smile

#13 imasha122

imasha122

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:24 AM

I am having my braces right now and it's done nothing bad to my teeth except straightening them. I think I will be able to smile with more confidence after my braces are taken out! You should get them and don't worry about what your mom told you.

#14 ronnknee ^^v

ronnknee ^^v

ronnknee is the best =)

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:56 AM

Yea. You should get them while you're young otherwise it'll hurt more in the future. I'm getting mine soon (I'm 14) and they're gonna cost me a lot of money T__________T.

#15 QuackieChau

QuackieChau

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:50 AM

I had braces; my teeth are perfectly fine. Just remember to keep wearing your retainer after you get the braces removed. I stopped wearing my retainer, and my wisdom teeth grew in (I'm one if the few that didn't have them pulled) and now my teeth are starting to get misaligned again. *tear* Years of braces down the drain.

I want to go to the orthodontist to get a new retainer to realign my teeth, but our dental insurance sucks now and I'm not willing to shell out the money. lol. C'est la vie.

#16 handsomepig

handsomepig

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 07:43 AM

Just go for it.. braces will do good to your teeth. About your wisdom ask the dentist if it obvious you can take it out if you want 2. And also ask the dentist opinion need to be taken out or not. Dont worry man

#17 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:26 PM

thanx everybody for all ur advise, has been really helpful. But the problem is my teeth arent really that crooked, it's pretty straight and aligned except this small area. Only like two of my teeth on the bottum is a bit crooked, but you cant really tell unless u look very close. It's a very small problem and the dentist didnt even say i needed braces, only after i asked him 'how can i align this area?', he checked it again and said i can get braces. :blink:

#18 rabbitinpumpkin

rabbitinpumpkin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:38 AM

If it's minor then you can probably just get those clear molded braces that you have to change every 2 weeks. each change is a small adjustment to make your teeth go straighter and straighter. It seems silly to get the metal ones (which are for major realignments and to prevent overbite)

these are mainly made for adults last time i checked though.

Your teeth will be fine as long as you take the time to clean them properly, with or without braces.

I recommend you get a look at all your options (if the clear ones are viable then it might be worth it, but $$$)

#19 Guests

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:30 AM

Well, i'm a 16 year old male, and i'm thinking about whether i should get braces or not. i really want to better align my teeth, but then my mom told me there are certain complications that happen in future, like it will make your teeth loose, and cause your teeth to fall out earlier than usual. Is this true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you've got nice teeth then all you need is to straighten them. Otherwise, if your teeth appear discolored and you want to also whiten them as well. An option would be veneers. They are like fake fingernails place over the top of your existing teeth. You see people get them done on extreme makeovers. But in terms of what your mom has told you about complications in the future, it's not true. If you have invested money into straightening your teeth, I would imagine that you would be taking good care of them as well. The best advise is to ask what your dentist thinks. You make want to seek a second opinion from another dentist as well if your still can make up your mind. Everyone here has given you very good advice.

#20 Guest_xtingtingx_*

Guest_xtingtingx_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:33 AM

braces do nothing to your teeth except straighten them. your teeths and gums are very flexible things. the forces of the braces will gradually shape them into the way you want, but nothing else will happen. i had braces and my teeth are perfectly fine. my case was turned out so well that my orthodontist showed it off at ortho conference or something. dont worry about anything happening to ur teeth if u get braces =)

#21 Guests

• Guests

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

yea, nothing gonna happen to ur teeth but straighten up... however prepare to suffer when you get braces...

#22 Aries903256

Aries903256

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

i can ensure u that nothing will go wrong with ur teeth it's not going to fall off or anything...i got braces and my teeth didn't fall off so i don't see a reason not to go get braces to make u look/feel better.

#23 Guest_Guest_John_*_*

Guest_Guest_John_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:51 PM

no no no, i'm not talking bout the teeth falling off right after u get braces, i will over time, when u get old and become like 70. cause i heard, braces loosen ur teeth a bit and causes ur teeth to fall off at an earlier age. Like say if u loose ur teeth at 80, it falls off at 70, like that.

#24 hanabi*

hanabi*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

yea i think you should get braces and your mother is right.

i'm getting braces too and at least if you get it theres someone to share the pain with :P
i went to the orthadontist and had four teeth taken out... the process was not painful.. but the injections hurt a bit. then you will feel that eating is hard... (what i am experiencing now) and i talk funny
going again this wednesday to get braces done.

i hope that wat they mention on the above is not true.

btw one of my wisdom is coming out now but the orthadontist says he will extract them later.. what if all four grows out??? yikes!!! the thought of it makes me shiver.

personally i am afraid of tooth extration because the injections --- they hurt alot (lied earlier) but i think it is worth it.

another btw my orthadontist sas the clear moulded ones are not as good as the metal ones because the metal ones give better and nice results

Edited by gotmilk, 13 August 2005 - 05:45 PM.

#25 bitter_0range

bitter_0range

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:02 PM

You should get it. You're only 16 so it's not too late. I got mine when I was 15. BUt it's a lot of trouble though because you have to wear retainers at night for years. Also it depends on how bad your teeth are, if they're alright then don't and if you don't want to go through all that trouble then don't. BUt personally i think you should because....well straight teeth look nice.

#26 Guests

• Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

Will not damage your teeth.

Will it hurt? Oh yeahhhh...you're basically 20% closer to death =)

#27 Katie3856

Katie3856

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:31 PM

Well, its really up to u if u wanna get braces, but im sure after having ur teeth straightened u would have more confidence in ur self

#28 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:03 PM

Don't even believe in that. Without good teeth, you will get nowhere in most of the world, especially if you live in America. It's all about looks here in AMerica.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious. Smile is the first thing people see. Get braces if i was able to get them when i was younger i would. Now it would cost me $15k just for braces. Best if you get them its weird i find them hot. :crying:

#29 Evalala

Evalala

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:06 PM

thats prob not true. i be getting braces soon and they straighten your teeth. and streat good looking teeth is good. they wont damage them. if they think it will damage your teeth, look and see wat other ways you can straighten your teeth.

that isnt true. the only bad thing that can happen after braces is that you get stanined teeth from the stuff they use to put the brakets on or somthing. but crest whitestrips should take care of that. and having your teeth in place not only helps make your teeth prettier but it also help prevet decays. but braces do hurt.

#30 <3Shinya

<3Shinya

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

I got braces when i was 14. In a 3 months it'll be a year now. From my experiences it won't hurt you in anyway but make your teeth straighter, but it a lot widen you lips/mouth due to all those pulling and stretching ;P.

#31 Guests

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

I have braces for about seven years and still going strong by now. Any questions about teeth and braces that you have should be asked of from an orthodontist NOT an entertainment forum. Talk to your dentist/orthodontist about your concerns, they will be able to tell you their opinion and help you get some security about braces. Good luck.

Edited by Eckoii, 26 August 2005 - 08:25 AM.

#32 Guests

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:18 PM

braces should help you keep your teeth in good shape. but it's going to hurt the first week.

#33 kougetsu

kougetsu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

Braces aren't too bad. Like everyone said they help your teeth more than harm. As for teeth falling out earlier I don't know. I'm only 16 and had my braces off taken off 2 years ago and so far no teeth have fallen out, haha. But they I would worry about most is stains on teeth. With brakets blocking the majority of your teeth it's harder to get them clean so cavities are harder to prevent in some places. As for the pain the first week, that's just a gimmie.

#34 Guests

• Guests

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:32 AM

Hi guys, I am 19 and had my wisdom teeth taken out during christmas. Is it too late for me to get braces? I am just about to start college -___- maybe there are clear ones?

#35 Guests

• Guests

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

I'm not too sure if there is a time when its "too late for braces" but if you're looking to conceal them, there's those clear ones which work pretty well. Such as the one i got from http://www.btinterne...ages/maggie.jpg below:
Posted Image

Also i heard there are also those which you can put behind you teeth, but they take longer and cost more i think.

#36 .xMuiMuiJayx.

.xMuiMuiJayx.

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

yes! braces are so good for ure teeth... if u need them! makes ure smile to much nicer... although it'll hurt for the 2 yrs u have them...but trust me... in the end it's all worthit!!!
and its never to late to get braces... if u need them and u have the money...then get them done!!!

#37 Guests

• Guests

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:06 PM

If your teeth is neat and nice already then don't, most of my friends have had braces and I haven't but my teeth is still fine. I've heard it's a lot of pain but it'll be worth it if it corrects your teeth, no one wants crooked teeth and such!

#38 chenny

chenny

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:39 AM

braces are like an investment and this case it will pay off in the long run. nice straight teeth is an attractive feature

#39 pHiLLyJaY

pHiLLyJaY

P.T.U DePuTy CLaN LeaDeR SpeCiAL 2005

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:07 PM

As long as you take good care of your teeth when you have braces it should be ok.

#40 kssy

kssy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:15 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, did you go to consult with a orthodontics, they can tell you if you need braces or not. If your teeth is malalign, that means can cause offset biting, crowdness leads to poor hygiene then poor hygiene leads to gum and bone loss. Bottom line, if you have malalign teeth, please go get braces, not only you look better, your teeth will feel better because they are easier to brush and clean, trust me on this one, i know, i been to ortho before.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users