AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

XBOX Plays anything?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 eternal lover

eternal lover

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:08 PM

Hi, ive got a question. I have lots of series on my computer and they are all rmvb files and it takes really long to convert them to DVD. So ive heard that an XBOX game system can play any type of media file, so im planning to get one now. So my question is, does it go for all XBOX game system and what do I need to do when i do get one and how to play the rmvb files.

Thank You..

#2 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

Hi, ive got a question. I have lots of series on my computer and they are all rmvb files and it takes really long to convert them to DVD. So ive heard that an XBOX game system can play any type of media file, so im planning to get one now. So my question is, does it go for all XBOX game system and what do I need to do when i do get one and how to play the rmvb files.

Thank You..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't own a Xbox but this is what I heard. You need to download some stuff for the Xbox in order for Xbox to play those files. Or/and you need for Xbox to be mod with a mod chip of some sort.

I don't suggest buying a Xbox now since Xbox 360 is coming out in November I believe. It'll be a waste of money just to buy the Xbox just for playing rmvb files.

I suggest buying a DivX DVD player such as the Phillips 642 from Amazon.com
I usually convert the rmvb files to DivX avi format with very little quality lost when you watch it on TV. The Phillips 642 DVD player is only about $65 max. I use Winavi to convert the rmvb files to Avi DivX format. I usually fit 20 Episodes (10 on each DVD) on two DVD if the series is 20 episodes total. 15 each DVD if 30 episodes long.

Edited by NYC_Defiance, 23 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

#3 jazzvl

jazzvl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:25 AM

a xbox can be used as a media centre when it is modded.
u have hardware mod and software mod
after that u need to install media center and with that u can play everything
rm.avi.mpeg.ogm etc

the fact that xbox 360 is comming out doesn't mean that buying an xbox would be a bad idea. it depends what what u are planning to do with it.
if u just want to mainly use it as an media centre i would say buy an xbox.
because when the xbox 360 comes out will will be very expensive and the modification aren't that general yet. It would be difficult to find some one to mod the thing.
while an regular xbox can be modded everywhere.

by buying a xbox it would save u money u can play nice games and use it as an media centre
a xbox 360 would be expensive and u maybe will have to wait before u can mod it . and that would really be a waste of money if u are just buying an xbox 360 for the funtionality that a xbox also has

Edited by jazzvl, 23 July 2005 - 12:26 AM.

#4 eternal lover

eternal lover

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:31 AM

a xbox can be used as a media centre when it is modded.
u have hardware mod and software mod
after that u need to install media center and with that u can play everything
rm.avi.mpeg.ogm etc

the fact that xbox 360 is comming out doesn't mean that buying an xbox would be a bad idea. it depends what what u are planning to do with it.
if u just want to mainly use it as an media centre i would say buy an xbox.
because when the xbox 360 comes out will will be very expensive and the modification aren't that general yet. It would be difficult to find some one to mod the thing.
while an regular xbox can be modded everywhere.

by buying a xbox it would save u money u can play nice games and use it as an media centre
a xbox 360 would be expensive and u maybe will have to wait before u can mod it . and that would really be a waste of money if u are just buying an xbox 360 for the funtionality that a xbox also has

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thankz for replying but what do you guys mean by modded? i am very lost with these things. lol

#5 Soulless

Soulless

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:38 AM

I have a xbox modded to play rmvb files.

Basically, you need a an xbox (duh!) then have it modded (ie. modchipped) then you can install third party software on it (ie. Xbox Media Centre) which will play everything from rmvb to divx to quicktime to wateva.....

You can network the xbox to play files from your computer or install a bigger HDD on the xbox if you like. Personally I just dump the rmvb files onto a DVD-R and play it off that.

#6 niker23

niker23

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:07 AM

I'm on the same boat.. I'm hoping after the 360 comes out. there will be a price drop on the Xbox.

#7 jazzvl

jazzvl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

thankz for replying but what do you guys mean by modded? i am very lost with these things. lol

modded means modification to your xbox.
there is hardware mod and software mod. hardware mod is by installing a chip on the xbox motherboard on this chip an alternative bios will be loaded when u boot up your xbox.
but this way is out dated and rarely used anymore.
mainly because it is expensive
it has risks that if the one installing the chip makes an mistake it will fry your xbox.
u can't go on xbox live

now a days most of the time software modifications ar used.
this is just installing another bios on the harddrive while also keeping the old one.
when u boot the xbox the alternative bios will be loaded. then u can play downloaded games, watch pics, listen to mp3's and watch video on your xbox and many other options (u also have theswe options with a hardware mod)

but the advatage of this is
it is cheaper
less risk (if the first time fails when installing the bios no problem just do it again)
u can go on xbox live (depending on the bios that is installed) like i said with some software mod the original bios won't be overwrited so when u use an original game to boot de xbox u get the original bios and u can go on xboxlive.

#8 General

General

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

Actually you can go on xbox live with a modchip. I have a xecuter chip and I can still go to xboxlive because I can boot my xbox in 2 different ways.

#9 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:56 PM

i'm planning to mod my xbox after reading this post clapclap but is there a lot of different soft mods out there? certain one u guys would recommend? thanx in advance

#10 eternal lover

eternal lover

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:28 AM

thankz for the great replies guys, but how do i get it modd? Do i just modd it when i buy it too? What would i have to ask them to do, i dont want to sound dumb. lol

#11 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

goto the tutorial section of www.xbox-scene.com and all the info about modding the xbox is there or goto Team Xecuters site http://teamxecuter.e...anfanatics.net/

it doesn't play all rmvb files....certainly not those encoded using version 10

#12 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:22 PM

I'm got a modded XBox to and install Xboxmediecenter. But some older version of XBMC have some problems with playing rmvb. But after a update of XBMC he play rmvb files perfect. there are also a option to choose a dual audio :P.

#13 g400g400

g400g400

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

Just wanna know if there is any rmvb dvd player in the market? it would be nice to watch those series in rmb format on my 34" tv

#14 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:29 AM

i remember someone posting something similar to this. the closest thing to a rm format dvd player would be a moded xbox i believe.

#15 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:34 AM

yeah. if got this type of player would b nice. but i heard tat most asian uses rmvb format. and most european and american uses divx. izit correct. maybe china will come out wit this player soon.

#16 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:30 AM

i don't think those player will ever come out, since the quality is bad with rmvb, and if they are going to release those player, they are like promoting :D more downloading hehe.

#17 g400g400

g400g400

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:34 AM

it's nice to watch rmvb format on big screen tv, rather than on the computer screen, i am sure one day those taiwan/china expert will come up with one, i will be the first one to buy it..

#18 g400g400

g400g400

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:43 AM

looks like i will need to buy a xbox and mod it in order to enjoy watch those rmvb series on my 34" tv....

#19 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:20 AM

I watch asian series in rmvb format on my TV using the TV out on my computer video card. The video quality is actually quite good on the TV.

It would be more convenient if there was a stand alone DVD player that plays RMVB.

#20 Jon Lai

Jon Lai

for techies=> http://www.emvee.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

looks like i will need to buy a xbox and mod it in order to enjoy watch those rmvb series on my 34" tv....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or you can just use a computer with a video out video card.

#21 caitsai

caitsai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

nowadays there is no solution for u
just buy a modified xbox
or use your pc with tv out
or buy a media center tu put it in your liveing room

#22 330d

330d

Catch you if you Spam

• Forum Crew
  • 18517 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

i don't think those player will ever come out, since the quality is bad with rmvb, and if they are going to release those player, they are like promoting :D more downloading hehe.

The players which support divx is doing the same or not?
Maybe there are dvdplayers support rmvb in china/hk. For me, it isn't needed since I use my tv-output which provides good playback quality on my tv.

#23 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

not really yet.

you can watch with pc or laptop with tv out.
or you can convert to mpeg odr dvd and watch with dvd player

#24 HamletHappy

HamletHappy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Rmvb is a closed format which means company has to pay for it if players wanna use it :/

#25 mcheng08

mcheng08

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

the only way to play rmvb is to get a modded xbox...

#26 wooish

wooish

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:45 PM

just get a cheaper pc from dell, buy a video card where there's output to the tv then play the rmvb from the pc to the tv. That's it.

#27 EMETIB

EMETIB

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:20 PM

An XBOX is the closest so far I think. To be honest, the prices are so cheap for XBOX now (since the 360 is out soon) you could pick up new or even used ones for really cheap!

#28 den888

den888

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

not heard of any rm dvds, just divx.
There is a modded xbox, or someone told me of those pc media centres, which should run all files

#29 kevinck80

kevinck80

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:36 AM

Depends on your scenario, whether the xbox you brought already comes with the modchip or you are modding an existing xbox. I'm staying in Malaysia a modded xbox usually cost around 600-RM700. If you buy a modchip , and either mod yourself or ask a technician to mod for you it might be cheaper. Besides that, you can choose a better quality modchip. ie Xecutor3. More info on modchips you can check www.xbox-scene.com

#30 g400g400

g400g400

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

Depends on your scenario, whether the xbox you brought already comes with the modchip or you are  modding an existing xbox. I'm staying in Malaysia a modded xbox usually cost around 600-RM700. If you buy a modchip , and either mod  yourself or ask a technician to mod for you it might be cheaper. Besides that, you can choose a better quality modchip. ie Xecutor3. More info on modchips you can check www.xbox-scene.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

u mean RM600-Rm700 for a new xbox inclusive of modchip?

#31 soccer_daemon

soccer_daemon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:29 AM

A modded xbox certainly does let you play back a large diversity of media files,
including rmvb.
You will need to install xbox media center (xbmc) at least version 1.1.

My own experience with xbmc 1.1 (as of late 2004 build) is that it plays about 90%
of the rmvb no problem but some it just won't play.

I am going to upgrade to Sept 2005 build and see how it goes and will let you guys
know.

I am very happy with xbox let's put it this way. :lol?:

SD

#32 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:50 AM

Yea u need to mod ur xbox and install a sorta like an OS application and then media centre which plays basically almost every video codecs type B)

#33 ckwhy

ckwhy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

Xbox is basically a PC. I have one which plays most of the medias. You can check out from some of the websites that teach you how to modified Xbox....or just go to a shop.....and them about it. I am now waiting for the Xbox 360...but i guess.....dont buy it first....wait for the 2nd or 3rd batch,.....wait for the experts to figure out how modified it into a monster.

#34 sush1a

sush1a

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:50 PM

softmodding the xbox is very easy, takes around 1 minute. if you just want to softmod it and install media player center in there and network it up with ur comp, so it can view rmvb. you'll need to google for softmod xbox and to irc to get the media center player..

#35 austin31six

austin31six

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

you have to mod your xbox and use media center to play avi, mpg or rmvb files. However, I had experiences where not all rmvb files play perfectly, like there's no audio and only video or no video and only audio, and it frequently crashed my xbox, so I gave up. Converting the rmvb files to mpg is the most reliable option, but it takes a lot of time to do the converting.

#36 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:42 PM

does anybody have problems playing some .rmvb files on XBMC?

sometimes the intro plays fine (the group intro) but then it goes all funny after the eps starts.. is it normal?

-joe

#37 gonetohkg

gonetohkg

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:19 PM

I play all my series with my XBOX.. most of which are RMVB.

Mine is streamed from PC or burnt to disc in same formatt.. I have never had any problems.

Make sure that your XBMC is up to date

#38 stevenh

stevenh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

I have Xbox, plays everything I throw at it. I got mine from HK and it had a Samsung DVD drive in it which was supposed to be good, but didn't seem to like VCDs (genuine ones).
Last week I bought one for a friend and found the new ones have much better drives and plays most discs fine now even the ones I couldn't play.

#39 viviluv3

viviluv3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

what u need is a modded-xbox plus media center.. it will play any video format that a computer will play. you can play over the wireless network or get a bigger harddrive for the xbox.. I am running mine with wireless game adapter, works flawlessly.

#40 spartan8311

spartan8311

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF supporter
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:58 AM

Where can I find the instructions to do all this?