Learn Hokkien

54 replies to this topic

#1 Rukawa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:52 PM

ok this sounds stupid , but can anyone who knows how to speak hokkien , somwhat teach me thru the net or sumet ?? pm me for my details .. thanks

#2 acel

^_^ little lover

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:15 AM

^..it's a dialect...but there's a lot of type of hokkien..i speak malaysian hokkien...but can i ask somethin???...does hokkien has any words??...like chinese writing??..hehe

#3 snuggie ♥

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

I do. But can you actually type it out in letters? I don't think it will be too accurate. :blink:

#4 Rukawa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

snuggie, on Aug 14 2005 8 50 AM, said:

I do. But can you actually type it out in letters? I don't think it will be too accurate.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol , thats not the problem , only need basic understanding and all ... so , who cares to help ? :tricky:

acel, on Aug 14 2005 7 15 AM, said:

^..it's a dialect...but there's a lot of type of hokkien..i speak malaysian hokkien...but can i ask somethin???...does hokkien has any words??...like chinese writing??..hehe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol im not interested in writing , only speaking , and yes , malaysian hokkien is the perfect one ! wheee

• Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

Walau! Why suddenly you need to speak hokkien so bad? Any motive?

#6 Rukawa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

capfelix008, on Aug 15 2005 5 11 PM, said:

Walau! Why suddenly you need to speak hokkien so bad? Any motive?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

err , communication purposes loh. I'm gonna do lecturing , so , i need abit of mandarin , canton and hokkien lo. And also communicate to gandparents and all leh , abit malu lah if cannot even speak to them.

#7 mustang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

hmm.... some of the basic Hokkien:

eat-jiak
sleep-kun
shy-paiseh
comb-sa se
fish-hu
prawn-"he"
walk-kia lo
television-tien see kee
car-chia

well, some words. Hope it helps

#8 PhantomGaL

I <3 Tony Leung & Leo Ku

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:59 PM

It's not exactly that easy to write out the pingyum for hokkien...very hard and it wont be as accurate =/

Take mustang's translation for example. If you're not a hokkien person, chances of you getting the tone and everything else wrong is high. It's pretty impossible for you to learn hokkien through this way, mate...

Didnt you learnt any hokkien by conversing with your parents, grandparents, friends, etc. since you were small? It's pretty weird to see that you don't know how to speak in hokkien if your family members know how to speak that dialect :huh:

#9 Lililasoh1

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 07:55 PM

PhantomGaL, on Aug 19 2005 4 59 PM, said:

It's not exactly that easy to write out the pingyum for hokkien...very hard and it wont be as accurate =/

Take mustang's translation for example. If you're not a hokkien person, chances of you getting the tone and everything else wrong is high. It's pretty impossible for you to learn hokkien through this way, mate...

Didnt you learnt any hokkien by conversing with your parents, grandparents, friends, etc. since you were small? It's pretty weird to see that you don't know how to speak in hokkien if your family members know how to speak that dialect :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't find that wierd.. My dad's fluent in Hokkien and I don't know how to how to speak it (I speak Malaysian-English with him).. But I can hear some. The fact is when I go n visit my relatives on my dad's side they all comes and just spit on my face all this hokkien fraces, n I'm like "Huh?!" but if you don't speak it at home with your parents..it's natural not to know how to talk that language..

#10 Rukawa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

PhantomGaL, on Aug 19 2005 4 59 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

erm , my parents tried teaching me when i saw a kid , but i ignored them completely. Haha , and yeah , i have trouble speaking to some people , eg , grandma and aunts and others. but basically i wanna learn atm , for erm , convinience purposes , and also i'm gonna be lecturing soon , so i need to know mandarin, canton and hokkien. And yes, i'm a hokkien person :D . I can get the pronunciation right,, only dont know the words, actually i do, but not enough , i need to know how to converse properly.

#11 mustang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:12 AM

i think you have to learn through experience. The first few times, you may get it wrong though, but as times goes on, you will find tourself getting more familiar with the pronunciation and at the same time learn more words from the people around you if they speak hokkien.

#12 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:10 AM

i'd be glad to help you~ hokein is my mother tongue~ so if you need help PM me~

#13 Guest_Guest_snow white_*_*

• Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:56 AM

I speak fujian or fuzhou hokkien. I am not sure if it is the same as malazian hokkien.

here are some fuzhou hokkien

dog - cainyan (the first part cain sounds the same as cain in english. the AN in the yan sounds like ON in english, as in onion)
chicken - ge

and mustang, isn't car in hokkien key-ya?

#14 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

that doesn't sound like the hokkein i speak~ lol
the hokkein i speak is like what mustang posted
dog is "kow"
and car is "chia"
chicken is "guei"

#15 mustang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:29 AM

@Guest_snow white_*
Actually hokkien consists of other types also. There are other "tribes" of hokkien which i'm not so familiar. Maybe it's a bit more advance? But in my hometown, my hokkien dialect is the same as zhiai5566 (i think), because the words that she wrote.

anyway some other words
cow-gu
aeroplane-puoi ki
run-chau
jump-tiau
move aside-"siam"
knife-to
chair-kau ee
table-to teng

*edited* some typo error ^_^'

Edited by mustang, 20 August 2005 - 08:49 AM.

#16 PhantomGaL

I <3 Tony Leung & Leo Ku

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:44 AM

Oooo...then I guess you guys must have not used Hokkien that much at home when talking to your parents, etc.
Because I thought it's a natural learning process thingy for almost everyone.
Perhaps in my hometown, Penang, it's more Hokkien oriented unlike KL which is more to Cantonese, so you tend to not use it as much.

Btw, there are quite a variety of Hokkien. Like people from Taiwan, their Hokkien's totally :blink: to me, hehe...their's sounded pretty deep and mine's lighter and easier maybe. And yeah, mine's the same as mustang's.

Some words to share with you, and it's supposed to rhyme :lol?:

Come si lai, ki si go, mi na chai, tomorrow :P
Ah mo kio, tomato, wa mm chai, I don't know ^_^

I'm sure you can figure that out, it's pretty simple and funny, lol :loool:

#17 Guest_Guest_snow white_*_*

• Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

I guess my hokkien is sort of like the tiwanese hokkien. My state or provence in china is like 10 miles from tiawan. This is the hokkien I speak.
http://en.wikipedia....n_%28dialect%29

#18 chichi1985

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:03 AM

could it be that they also speak hokkien in singapore?!?

• Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 04:45 AM

:harhar

hokkien, is what my parents and relatives speak in brunei,

i have to say it is quite a vulgar language,

i think it sounds okay, and because my mandarin isn't too flash whenever they speak hookien in taiwan i find that i can understand more.

but to be honest hokkien is not commonly used much, some times you might hear singaporeans use it to swear. apparently during National service they get taught all the really rude words.

wah eh hel tieh bei hel gong jing jie = i can understand but no speak much

#20 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:34 AM

chichi1985, on Aug 20 2005 5 03 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yepp~ some people do speak hokkein in singapore. most of the people understand it

in brunei most of the asians speak the language. most chinese in brunei can understand it and can speak some basic hokkein. it's different from the taiwanese tai yu. some of the wording is different and words are pronounced differently

@mustang: i think i speak same as you~ cos all those words you wrote.. that's how i say them~

Edited by zhiai5566, 21 August 2005 - 06:37 AM.

• Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:26 AM

Hokkien 101 - LOL. Is there any hokkien in the Yummy Yummy series?

#22 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

lol isn't yummy yummy a tvb production?? i don;t think there will be any hokkein in that show~

#23 WrxSti

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:39 AM

i speak a dialect of hakka too. anyone know more about the history? i speak ngai. it sounds like some of urs

#24 IcedMocha

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

zhiai5566, on Aug 21 2005 7 34 AM, said:

lol isn't yummy yummy a tvb production?? i don;t think there will be any hokkein in that show~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

errr..don't think so i heard any hokkien in the series.

and hokkien in different places have different slang. i sometimes cant understand hokkien in taiwan. :noclue

#25 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

yeah taiwan tai yu is really hard to hear~ i don't really understnad it.. mostly because the hokkein we speak in brunei is mixed with a bit of malay

#26 chichi1985

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:51 AM

by the way, is there a different between hakka and hokkien or are these the same?

#27 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:36 AM

nope they're not the same. theyre different dialects.

#28 PhantomGaL

I <3 Tony Leung & Leo Ku

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:47 AM

chichi1985, on Aug 24 2005 9 51 AM, said:

by the way, is there a different between hakka and hokkien or are these the same?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a whole total different dialect, they're not the same.

It's not as widely used in my place for sure, but some of my friends know how to speak Hakka :)

• Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

it is hard to learn to speak hokkien. there is no writing only speaking. but some old people that is hokkien of course, read chinese charecter in hokkien instead of manderin.

another reason is that there is few movie or tv show that speak in hokien. not like cantonese. there is alot in TVB. so thats y cantonese is easier to learn.

• Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

tai ke ho !!! wo si hok kien lang.

ka ki lang, pak si bo siang kang.

anyone can interprete it??? (especially the second sentences) :lol?: :lol?: :lol?:

#31 vicus

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

AZN-HORNAT, on Sep 3 2005 4 57 PM, said:

tai ke ho !!!  wo si hok kien lang.

ka ki lang,  pak si bo siang kang.

anyone can interprete it??? (especially the second sentences)  :lol?:  :lol?:  :lol?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First sentence, you are saying hi to everyone. And then you intro yourself.
Second sentence, you are saying own people, cant figure out the last phrase.

#32 nssoso

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

i can't speak hokkien but in some taiwanese shows a lot of host or celebrities can speak this language and i find dat it's like teochew!!

#33 caitsai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm Hokkien people... But I don't speak this dialect... I speak cantonese... But my parents told me before that teo chew and Hokkien are almost the same.

#34 zhiai5566

<3 xiezhi~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:36 PM

hokkein and teo chew are totally different.
i speak hokkein and i can't understand teocehw

#35 smurffy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

what you want to learn in hokkien ?

ciak pa boei .. means have u eaten ?

lu ai wa bo..means do you love me?

or you want to learn some other words..

#36 Rukawa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

uhm basically everthing really lol ... uhm yeah to the dude who agreed to help sorry i havent been on for abit ive been totally busy with stuff i try to contact you soon ...

#37 $amnang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:26 PM

Yeah Chinese is full of some many dialect. Well Hokkien is kinda similar to Teochiu or Chaozhou or Chiuchao... You probably could learn Hokkien by going to the library and see if they actually have any lesson for Hokkien lanuage. Some of the words that you just type in Hokkien is similar to Teochiu ou. Best way of learning Hokkien is to practice with your parents. They would be able to educate you on the words. Same thing with Teochiu we only have the speaking language but everything that is writing is in Chinese Character...

Tomato = ang mo kio
Cow = gu
Want = ai
Dog = gow
Chiccen = guei
Car = chai

#38 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

Hi everybody!

If you want to learn Hokkien online, you might want to try looking for 'Taiwanese' - unlike in Malaysia, Singapore etc. where books/ websites on Hokkien are hard to find, Taiwanese websites offer a host of information (much of it in characters, though) - the language is extremely similar, in any case.

BTW: Hokkien has a standard orthography, the so-called church romanization, complete with tones (that nobody in Malaysia uses, though).

Finally, there is a monumental course from the 60s on Hokkien, called "Spoken Amoy Hokkien", by a guy named Bodman. It's pretty good, but not cheap.

Hope this helps!

#39 limjap_dean

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

i was born in the Philippines, and I speak hokkien, i read the responses and i find some words the same, but i think the spelling is not really that accurate, my goa-ma (grandmother) can read the chinese characters in hokkien because that is what she was taught before the revolution i think... but right know, i am completely illiterate in hokkien but can speak it with my family and friends... we oftentimes speak in hokkien when we do not want others to know what we are talking about... it somehow became our "secret message" hehe... when i went to Taiwan, i can converse in the hokkien i speak and they understand, but i find it difficult to understand the "kind" of hokkien they use... i oftentimes ask them to repeat it again.. hehe... hope that helps you ~

#40 Roy88

Supreme Leader of my Life

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

View Postchichi1985, on Aug 21 2005 8 03 AM, said:

Hokkien is one of the chinese dialects in Singapore, since many of the Chinese who came to Singapore are from Fujian.
I can understand Hokkien but can't really speak it.

Is there really a huge difference between Taiwanese and Hokkein?
I can understand Taiwanese when watching Taiwan programmes pretty well although I'm a Singaporean Chinese (my grandparents are from Fujian so I understand Hokkien).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users