AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Old TVB Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 Hong Kong

Hong Kong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:28 AM

I am really bored of watching the new series so can u guys give me recommendation on old series(90s)

thanks for ur help

#2 psyduck03

psyduck03

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:42 AM

hm.. dependin on your taste of series.. i would recommend Time before Time (i think it was from 1997s more or less) w/ Gordan Lam.. it was early 1900s hk era ghost love story.. for police stories.. definately go for the Detective Investigation Files series.. i would say the 4th one although i loved all of them but the people look so out of date now lol.. for ancient series.. how about State of Divinity 1996? i forgot the main leads' names.. but it was pretty well mad series.. compared to the other remakes.. although the technology and background landscape was too repetitive.. but good storyline =) there were al ot of vampire series in early 1990s but i forgot their titles.. i remember there was one w/ sammi cheng in it and that was good

anyways.. good luck.. and any recommendations for me too? hehe i'm gettin tired of the current series too.. but problem is finding good quality of the old series (and if theres still people sharing them)

Edited by psyduck03, 29 November 2005 - 03:43 AM.

#3 bluph0enix

bluph0enix

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:54 AM

Song Bird starring Nnadia Chan and Leon Lai is a real good one, though i think it came out it the late 80s if not early 90s, can't remember that, it follows the life of Nnadia as she becomes a singer, a semi-tragedy series....

Journey to the West, Burning Flame, Healing Hands, and Armed Reaction all came out in the 90s too. I would start with Burning Flame from among those...

The Legend of the Condor Heroes is also one of my favorites, it stars Athena Chu and Julian Cheung...it one of those kung fu ancient type of series. They made sequels of this series [based on Jin Yong books] but I think this one was the best, probably cause I liked Athena.

If you are in for laughs, you might like Show Time Blues [i think that was the name] starring Gordan?, it's a parody of singers like Anita Mui, Vivian, and Sammi...kind of plotless...

Heartstrings starring Aaron and I think Gigi....don't remember much except that it's about doctors, i remembered the name of it so i figured i must have enjoyed it...Working Women was a nice one too with Kenix Kwok, it followed the lives of four women [sort of like short stories where each women was focused at different points in time]

#4 MokaGirl

MokaGirl

::: the one and only :::

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:53 AM

90's ?? That was my favorite decade for TVB series: here a few, hope you'll like my list

Ancient series:

( serious )
- Romance of the White-hair Maiden ( Ada -Timmy Ho)
- Against the Blade of Honor ( Louis Koo, Noel Leung SuiBing-Eddie, "" )
- Swordman LaiBooYee ( Patrick Tam, Noel Leung, Timmy Ho )
- Justice Sung 1

( comedy )
- Happy Ever After ( Marianne- Bobby-Nnadia, ... )
- Journey to the West 1 ( Dicky, ... ( many stars ))
- the Legend of Master Chai ( Joey Leung, Noel Leung, Timmy Ho, Cherie )

there was also good Modern Time serie.

I'll add more later ...

#5 hrm

hrm

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:55 AM

Cold Blood Warm Heart -------- a true classic
A Stage of Turbulence
A Kindred Spirit ---it's long though so maybe you should watch portions of it
Plain Love I and II
War and Remembrance
Instinct
Looking back in Anger --- another true classic

Edited by tcwas, 29 November 2005 - 09:01 AM.

#6 NetDragonC

NetDragonC

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:28 AM

The Breaking Point with Leon Lai and Deric Wan
The Final Verdict with Adam Cheng and Kenneth Tsang
Big Family with Alex Man

Classical classics :)

#7 arava

arava

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:20 PM

A few that I'd like to recommend are;
Cold Blood Warm Heart
Greed of Man
Happy Ever After
and of course, both the Journey to the West series. :)

#8 abc888

abc888

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

I like "The Turbulent Decade". The direct English translation for the Chinese title is Happy Golden 10 Years. Anyone know where I can get this series? My all time favorite next to the Police Cadet series.

#9 Hong Kong

Hong Kong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:12 AM

Thanks guy for ur help..
Can u give me more.

Some of the one u put up their is pretty interesting.
Right now I'm watching Burning Flame.

Journey to the West is pretty good but I hate the skeleton episode. Its long and boring so I don't think I will watch JTTW.

Still thanks.
More Recommendation Please.

#10 nicha

nicha

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:34 PM

I think TVB series in '90s are great!!
Better than now..because now lots of great actors and actresses have left :crying:

#11 watchie

watchie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

I think Legend of Condor Heroes 94 is excellent. Chilam and Anthena Chu were very good and so was all the rest of the actors in it.

Other than that, File of Justice is one intelligent and witty series.

Or perhaps you could go for DIF, I don't know how it will be like to watch it now, LOLS.

#12 Soeng_Yee

Soeng_Yee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:03 AM

I recommend Blood Stained Intrigue. (although it was 89). Really good storyline. Full of mysteries.. I miss those series back then. But there soo hard to find. Blood Stained Intrigue was never released on dvd yet.. Dunno why though, such a classic (despite the ending). But I recommend:
- The Commendments (1990) - Deric Wan, Vivian Chow, Chor Ka Por, etc. (this was the serie I grew up with. loved Deric and Vivian ever since)
- All About Tin (1991) short & sweet, very sad though. wish it was longer
- Looking Back in Anger (Deric does soo well as a villian, hated him to the bones)
- Money and Fame (1991) - Dicky Cheung, Alvina Kong
- Road For The Heroes (1993) - Roger Kwok, Alvina Kong. Alvina is so hilarious in this serie. short and sweet
- The Serprentine Romance (1991) - Maggie, Hugo, very dramatic/sad serie. Love Maggie in this serie
- The Zu Mountain Saga - Nadia, Ekin. - although everyone say part I was better, but part 2 was pretty good as well. Nadia and Ekin make such a cute couple. Thats why their in so many series together.

#13 MokaGirl

MokaGirl

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:28 AM

I have to agree with ya Soeng_Yee.

Blood-Stained Intrigue was truly a great serie to watch. Eventho I was really sad for the ending. ** no spoiler here ** I thought everyone did an amazing job. Altho the casting wasn't with any big star. ( Kenneth stared in there as cameo only ... ) I think every characters was well-written and also well acted. ( I was still a bit irritated by Jimmy's two bro, I know they supposed to bring the humourous side to the serie ... but .. kinda don't fit with the story itself ... ) There's few part I've cried and can even recite the dialogue by heart. I was really much entertained by the plot. I was particulary amased by the Chess Game scene ( maybe due to my young age at that time ?? ^_^' ... ) The soundtrack was beautiful too. very sad. very accurate to the serie. REALLY RECOMMENDED for whoever looking for good acting, good storyline, interesting plot, nice soundtrack, ... altho the graphic wasn't catchy but still ... it was well produced for that period.

#14 meow

meow

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:43 AM

hmm some of my facourites are:

-Legend of the condor heroes 94 with chi lam and athena
-File of justice
-State of Divinity (currently watching it...)
-Cold blood warm heart

#15 Smiley_18

Smiley_18

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:53 AM

- Greed of Man
- Files of Justice (all of them)
- Conscience (w/ maggie siu)

#16 i_fotted

i_fotted

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

the 90s definitely have some of my favorite all time series....

- The Challenge Of Life (Leon Lai, Kitty Lai, Jacqueline Law, Sean Lau)

- Blood Of Good And Evil (Deric Wan, Kitty Lai, Maggie Siu)

- Looking Back In Anger (Felix Wong, Carina Lau, Kathy Chow, Maggie Siu, Deric Wan)

- The Good Old Days (Steven Ma, Amy Chan, Sheren Tang, Maggie Siu)

- Racing Peak (Felix Wong, Amy Chan, Ada Choi)

- The Breaking Point (Leon Lai, Cathy Chow, Maggie Siu, Deric Wan)

- Armed Reaction (Ester Kwan, Joyce, Tang, Bobby)

- Cold Blood Warm Heart(Gallen Lo)

Can't remember much good Wuxia in the 90s... but a few good ones I remember are:

- DGSD (Felix Wong, Benny Chan, Carmen Lee)

- Hero from Shaolin( (Deric Wan, Vivien Leung, Gigi Lai)

- Blood Stained Intrigue (Jimmy Au, low budge series and not much of a cast but a very good series)

I have to agree with ya Soeng_Yee.

Blood-Stained Intrigue was truly a great serie to watch. Eventho I was really sad for the ending. ** no spoiler here ** I thought everyone did an amazing job.  Altho the casting wasn't with any big star. ( Kenneth stared in there as cameo only ... )  I think every characters was well-written and also well acted. ( I was still a bit irritated by Jimmy's two bro, I know they supposed to bring the humourous side to the serie ... but .. kinda don't fit with the story itself ...  ) There's few part I've cried and can even recite the dialogue by heart. I was really much entertained by the plot. I was particulary amased by the Chess Game scene ( maybe due to my young age at that time ??  ^_^' ... ) The soundtrack was beautiful too. very sad. very accurate to the serie. REALLY RECOMMENDED for whoever looking for good acting, good storyline, interesting plot, nice soundtrack, ... altho the graphic wasn't catchy but still ... it was well produced for that period.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you... I love this series so much. I love the casting in here, eventhoug starting actors in here are not very well known. The storyline was great too, so much mystery. 1 question though, what was sad to you about the ending? As far as I can remember, the story had a happy ending and everythign worked out.

I really wish there was a remake of this series.

I have 1 question. Does anyone know who played the Jimmy Au's older sister? Also who played the girl detective that helps Jimmy Au thoughout? She was very elegant and pretty.

#17 cheeweng

cheeweng

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

Cold Blood n Warm Heart stands out!! Gallen inside was excellent!! A wun regret serial!!!

#18 MokaGirl

MokaGirl

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

the 90s definitely have some of my favorite all time series....

- The Good Old Days (Steven Ma, Amy Chan, Sheren Tang, Maggie Siu)
- Racing Peak (Felix Wong, Amy Chan, Ada Choi)
- The Breaking Point (Leon Lai, Cathy Chow, Maggie Siu, Deric Wan)
- DGSD (Felix Wong, Benny Chan, Carmen Lee)
- Hero from Shaolin( (Deric Wan, Vivien Leung, Gigi Lai)
- Blood Stained Intrigue (Jimmy Au, low budge series and not much of a cast but a very good series)

I agree with you... I love this series so much. I love the casting in here, eventhoug starting actors in here are not very well known. The storyline was great too, so much mystery. 1 question though, what was sad to you about the ending? As far as I can remember, the story had a happy ending and everythign worked out.

I really wish there was a remake of this series.

I have 1 question. Does anyone know who played the Jimmy Au's older sister? Also who played the girl detective that helps Jimmy Au thoughout? She was very elegant and pretty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the Good Old Days was ATV serie ?: Still have to agree with ya. This epic serie was very entertaining. ( altho Steven-Maggie part was a bit dragging ) Steven character gets on my nerve but I have liked the rest of the cast. Amy, Sheren, Maggie ( pretty Maggie. I didn't like her character much but I thought her really cute with short haircut. She looked so slim. ) I even liked Gilbert character. He was bad in the start but turn out devoting himself to support his family. Ive enjoyed seeing him falling for Amy. So cute. Soundtrack was also very well-done. Very sad. This is the few ancient time series with nice instrumental soundtrack. Good production overall.

I didn't like Racing Peak much. But Ive liked when Amy was so much into MONEY she'S trying to be gambling godness ... That was enjoyable. Amy's one great actress. Her character wasn't really loveable but Amy makes her loveable. I remember a scene when she yelled at Ada in the bar. When Ada told her the truth about her brother's death. ( Amy's hub ) that's scene was good.

I think I prefer the older version of DGSD. I can't say the reason. Maybe bcuz I prefer Idy over Carmen ?? Maybe I saw the version first ? Can't say ...

Heroes from Shaolin was good. I would have prefer seeing Deric ending up with Gigi instead of Vivian(Noel) though. I loved the subsong sang by Gigi.

Spoiler for Blood-Stained Intrigue: highlight to read

Jimmy ends up alone because his love can't bear going with her father's murderer. This is sad ending for me bcuz Jimmy was leading and he remains the one with no one at the end ... Seeing him calling for her was heart-breaking.

Altho they have revenged their parents. The 2nd sister ( Jimmy's sis ) has died. She was pretty. I loved her character. I was sad for her dying. Jimmy's bro ends up good. and the others couple too.

To me this is sad. but If ya have enjoyed the ending still. I'm happy for ya. It's good for the moral to see happy ending you know. ;)

I don't know their names neither. I remember Jimmy older sister has also acted in the older version of Heavenly Sword Dragon Sabre with Simon, Dodo, Tony, Kitty, Maggie, Sheren. ...

#19 asiandotkom

asiandotkom

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

Journey to the West. I have a copy of the entire series. It's so amazing. I've watched it over 50 times.

#20 i_fotted

i_fotted

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

To me this is sad. but If ya have enjoyed the ending still. I'm happy for ya. It's good for the moral to see happy ending you know. wink.gif

Hehe, thats cool. I don't remember that part for some reason. I must have not payed close enough attention to their relationship, which really isn't the focal point of this movie. I don't think their relationship really developed that much.

I don't know their names neither. I remember Jimmy older sister has also acted in the older version of Heavenly Sword Dragon Sabre with Simon, Dodo, Tony, Kitty, Maggie, Sheren. ...

Yea, she played Hiu-Phu's, Yeung Chiu's lover. She was also in many older series.

#21 why_man

why_man

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

well there are many good 90s serie, here are some I recommend:
Drunken Angels, Game Of Deceit, Golden Snake Sword and State Of Divinity 1996

#22 MokaGirl

MokaGirl

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:35 AM

Game of Deceit was good but it could have been better. Still I loved Jess-Nick pairing. They looked cute together. Somhow I thought the story more interesting in the beginning when Jess was still wearing men's clothes. I don't know the name of the girl who played the evil girl. but I think her really cute looking. I saw in in various serie and then stop hearing about her at all. She was once in ICAC with Louis,Eddie,Fennie,Timmy, ... I also loved her character eventho she was spoiled and all but she has done what she thought best and she did everything for the love of the one she loved the most. Either it was aman or a woman. I liked her bcuz of her sacrifice for Jess. Hopefully she'll meet someone ( Jess again ) as a man. I think she deserved a nice ending and such ending was appropriate enough.

Drunken Angels ?? That was one good story. He has it dragging part but overall very entertaining seeing a frail, spoiled and clumpsy man turning to a master in Kung Fu. He made the story realistic. Very good. I think I loved everyone in the serie except the disciple's love story ( triangle ).

Another great serie with Yuen Wah was Night Journey. I loved that serie so much. The filming was great. The soundtrack fitted. altho I was a bit displeased by Daniel acting. Still It was really entertaining. I keep on rewatching it from time to time. I started to be a Louisa fan bcuz of that serie. Whenever I see her name I think of " Pretty Aunty ". How cute she was. Yuen Wah and Louisa shared a very nice chemistry onscreen. clapclap

Yea, she played Hiu-Phu's, Yeung Chiu's lover. She was also in many older series.

Was she also in Luk Siu Fung ?? I don't know the serie real spelling actually. I don't remember that well but I think her nickname character was something like "beef soup" ... That one was definitely not from the 90's ^_^' Now I think of the General Who Never Was ... hahahhah

#23 i_fotted

i_fotted

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

Game of Deceit was good but it could have been better. Still I loved Jess-Nick pairing. They looked cute together. Somhow I thought the story more interesting in the beginning when Jess was still wearing men's clothes. I don't know the name of the girl who played the evil girl. but I think her really cute looking. I saw in in various serie and then stop hearing about her at all. She was once in ICAC with Louis,Eddie,Fennie,Timmy, ... I also loved her character eventho she was spoiled and all but she has done what she thought best and she did everything for the love of the one she loved the most. Either it was aman or a woman. I liked her bcuz of her sacrifice for Jess. Hopefully she'll meet someone ( Jess again ) as a man. I think she deserved a nice ending and such ending was appropriate enough.

Drunken Angels ?? That was one good story. He has it dragging part but overall very entertaining seeing a frail, spoiled and clumpsy man turning to a master in Kung Fu. He made the story realistic. Very good. I think I loved everyone in the serie except the disciple's love story ( triangle ).

Another great serie with Yuen Wah was Night Journey. I loved that serie so much. The filming was great. The soundtrack fitted. altho I was a bit displeased by Daniel acting. Still It was really entertaining. I keep on rewatching it from time to time. I started to be a Louisa fan bcuz of that serie. Whenever I see her name I think of " Pretty Aunty ". How cute she was. Yuen Wah and Louisa shared a very nice chemistry onscreen.  clapclap

Was she also in Luk Siu Fung ?? I don't know the serie real spelling actually. I don't remember that well but I think her nickname character was something like "beef soup" ... That one was definitely not from the 90's  ^_^'  Now I think of the General Who Never Was ... hahahhah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, I believe she was in Man Chi Leung's Luk Siu Fung, that was in 1986 I think...

#24 Prince McDull

Prince McDull

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

i think "food for life" i dunno wat it is really called buy it has maggie in it and bobby......its about cooking and food....its funny....and also i liked i dunno wats it called but its got maggie and roger in it.......when maggie dies and becomes a ghost and roger and maggie fall in love but they can't love each other becuase shes a ghost so they went bak in time......

anyways it really good...and i loved them.....

#25 Steve120

Steve120

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:13 PM

File of Justice and Detective Investigation series were both fantastic, better then all the stuff coming out today. Take a look if you have time.

#26 GhstDreamer

GhstDreamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:17 AM

My favourite tvb series are also from the 80s and 90s. I'd recommend:

The Green Hope
The Greed of Man
The Turbulent Decade
Police Cadet I and II (stay away from III! It was awful!)
The Price of Growing Up (some of the best acting ever!)
The Feud between two Brothers
Final Verdict
Conscience
The Battlefield
Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 86
Looking Back in Anger
Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain
Chor Lau Heung

#27 andyb_04

andyb_04

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

War of Genders (Comedy) Very funny (with Dodo and Dayo Wong)....At The Threshold of Era I and II (with Gallen lo and Kenix Kwok)

#28 wuxiagal

wuxiagal

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:41 AM

I recommend BLOOD STAINED INTRIGUE, old tvb serie. It's great serie, pity no dvd released
I only have the dvd from video ripped with English Language, but it's better than cant watch it :)

#29 jadul80

jadul80

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Many old TVB series have good quality to watch, often dubbed as TVB Golden Era (1980's - early 1990's).
Here's those series from 1990's airing that very well recommended to watch : Blood of Good & Evil (1990), The Breaking Point (1991), Big Family (1991), The Breaking Point (1991), The Greed of Man (1992). One title that mentioned almost all above posters : Looking Back In Anger (airing year : 1989), this drama is absolutely 100% superb, don't miss it :) :thumbsup :thumbsup
Meanwhile most of memorable wuxia series were coming from 1980's : Condor trilogy, Flying Fox 1985, Return of LSF (1986), Legend of Dik Chink (1986), Blood Stained Intrigue (1986), The Wild Bunch (1982), New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung (1984) and many more clapclap

#30 Guest_Gabriel_K_*

Guest_Gabriel_K_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I suggest The Legend of the Book and the Sword (1987), another adapted script from Jin Yong's novel. Shek Sau, Lawrence Ng, Kitty Lai or Simon Yam did good job in this classic drama. Also, watching the Grand Cannal to know how excellently Felix Wong played a negative character, and there are bunches of famous names in this series like Tony Leung, Idy Chan, Lawrence Ng, Margie Tang...

If you like comedy, I think The Justice of Life (1989) is an excellent choice, lol! There would be non-stop laughters to watch hilarious convos between Stephen Chow with his father in the series, Ng Man Tat, or with Alex Man and his courtship with Teresa Mo. I still feel laughable to remind these scenes.

#31 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

This is hard, as there are way too many good series from the 80s and 90s that I would recommend. If you're looking primarily for 90s, that would narrow the list down significantly (as only the early to mid-90s was really good....things started going downhill in the late 90s, though there were still a few gems here and there...

Many of the 90s series of note were already mentioned above:

> The Challenge of Life (one of my all time favorites -- Sean Lau, Frankie Lam, Kitty Lai, Monica Chan, Leon Lai, Jacqueline Law, etc.)

> The Breaking Point (seen this a million times -- Deric Wan, Leon Lai, Kathy Chow, Maggie Siu -- plus awesome supporting performances by Power Chan, Michael Tao, Bobby Au Yeung, etc etc.)

> Blood of Good and Evil (one of the best series ever -- Kenneth Tsang, Deric Wan, Maggie Siu, Law Lok Lam, Nathan Chan, Lam Lei, Yvonne Lam, etc. etc.)

> It Runs in the Family (absolutely HILARIOUS -- Sean Lau, Stephen Chow, Amy Chan, Bryan Leung, etc. etc.)

> A Life of His Own (one of Sammi's few TV series -- Hacken Lee, Sammi Cheng, Dickson Lee, etc.)

> Live for Life (very intense, but all awesome performances -- Margie Tsang, Gallen Lo, Mark Cheng, Anita Lee, etc.)

> On the Edge (also very intense drama, but the performances were awesome -- get the tissues ready though -- Deric Wan, Francis Ng, MIchael Tao, Sheren Tang, etc. etc.)

> The Greed of Man (definitely a classic! -- Damian Lau, Adam Cheng, Sean Lau, Yammie Nam, Vivian Chow, Amy Kwok, David Siu, plus way too many people to count...)

> Vengeance (Gallen's first truly evil role -- Deric Wan, Gallen Lo, Irene Wan, etc. etc.)

> Files of Justice I to V (very long, but this is the classic lawyer series that plummetted Michael and Bobby to popularity -- Michael Tao, Bobby AuYeung, Felix Lok, Amy Chan, etc. etc. -- there are way too many artists in this series to list -- each installment introduced different characters and artists)

> The Link (good series, but a bit draggy at times...if you want to see Ada in an evil role, this is the one -- Eddie Kwan, Gigi Lai, Ada Choi, Amy Kwok, David Siu, Dominic Lam, etc.)

> Remembrance (a hidden gem -- wrote a review on this in my blog -- Julian Cheung, Kenix Kwok, Jenny Chou, David Siu, Betsy Cheung, etc. etc.)

> Detective Investigation Files I to IV (totally love the 3rd installment best -- also wrote review on my blog -- this one is absolutely classic -- Michael Tao, Joey Leung, Kenix Kwok, etc. etc. -- note that the supporting cast is absolutely awesome)

> A Kindred Spirit (very long but absolutely one of the bests -- if you're up for 1128 episodes, then go for it...not going to list out the cast though because way too many people)

> Cold Blood Warm Heart (classic series, great ensemble cast -- Gallen Lo, Julian Cheung, Jessica Hsuan, Nnadia Chan, Christine Ng, Adam Cheng, etc. etc. -- again, too many to list)

> State of Divinity 1996 (the ONLY Jin Yong remake of the 90s that I liked -- Jackie Lui, Fiona Leung, Evergreen Mak, Timmy Ho, etc. etc.)

> Time Before Time (one of Kathy Chow's last series from the 90s era -- Gordon Lam, Kathy Chow, Florence Kwok, etc.)

> Untraceable Evidence I and II (my second favorite cop series in the 90s -- another classic -- Bowie Lam, Flora Chan, Margaret Chung, Maggie Chan, Lee San San, etc. etc.)

> Secret of the Heart (another classic with an ensemble cast -- Felix Wong, Amy Kwok, Gallen Lo, Kathy Chow, Ada Choi, Sunny Chan, Jessica Hsuan, Nick Cheung, etc.)

> Armed Reaction (I'm actually not too fond of this series, but love Bobby AuYeung and Esther Kwan -- they are the primary reason why I watched this)

> Witness to a Prosecution I and II (Bobby in an ancient series! Haha -- Bobby Au Yeung, Jessica Hsuan, Marianne Chan, Frankie Lam, etc. -- I actually didn't like the 2nd one as much because the cast totally changed except for Bobby)

> At the Threshold of an Era I and II (the 2nd installment was actually better, but that is techinically a 2000 series -- great ensemble cast consisting of Gallen Lo, Roger Kwok, Sunny Chan, Flora Chan, Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Liza Wang, Paul Chun, Nicholas Wu, Maggie Siu, etc. etc etc.....only watch this if you are into long series, as it is more than 100 episodes) -- also wrote a review on this in my blog

I actually have an even BIGGER list from the 80s (as that is really my generation), so if you're interested, let me know...
>

Edited by llwy12, 02 April 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#32 swivel

swivel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

Anyone know where i and download old tvb ancient series? I am looking for the ones from 1980-2000. Also there are 2 series I do not know the name of and hope maybe some of you will know what i am talking about. 1 is called "siu lei fei duo" its about a guy who can throw these small blades, and another where aaron kwok was the leading man and at the end of the series he fought his good friend and won but was about to die, but his lover played a song on a flute and he came back alive. I believe is his character name is "chun fung?"

Also I believe there was a series where Ekin was in and he starred as the guy from the legend of the condor hero who won best kung fu in the world and kung fu book, but died. I believe there was also a series about how the old beggar became the leader of the beggars. Also I believe there was a movie or series about The owner of the blade that "yueng gor" from Return of the condor hero was using when he lost his arm. Any help would be great. Sorry for all these questions.

#33 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3783 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

The one with ekin cheng is: 射鵰英雄傳之南帝北丐 The Condor Heroes Return
The one with the owner of the blade is: 1990 劍魔獨孤求敗 Kim-mo Tuk-ku Kau-pai with wong yat wah

I think the one with aaron kwok is: The Revelation of the Last Hero - 风之刀 with Aaron Kwok, Frankie Lam, Noel Leung, Ada Choi, Fennie Yuen

#34 lemontop

lemontop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

The one with ekin cheng is: 射鵰英雄傳之南帝北丐 The Condor Heroes Return
The one with the owner of the blade is: 1990 劍魔獨孤求敗 Kim-mo Tuk-ku Kau-pai with wong yat wah

I think the one with aaron kwok is: The Revelation of the Last Hero - 风之刀 with Aaron Kwok, Frankie Lam, Noel Leung, Ada Choi, Fennie Yuen

Can someone please tell me what has happened to Fennie Yuen as she was really good with Aaron Kwok in a particular drama series I watched. They were both doctors and he fell in love with Gigi Lai. Poor Fennie died in the end when the other doctor shot her accidentally as the bullet was meant for Aaron. Anyone remember this series?

This is hard, as there are way too many good series from the 80s and 90s that I would recommend. If you're looking primarily for 90s, that would narrow the list down significantly (as only the early to mid-90s was really good....things started going downhill in the late 90s, though there were still a few gems here and there...

Many of the 90s series of note were already mentioned above:

> The Challenge of Life (one of my all time favorites -- Sean Lau, Frankie Lam, Kitty Lai, Monica Chan, Leon Lai, Jacqueline Law, etc.)

> The Breaking Point (seen this a million times -- Deric Wan, Leon Lai, Kathy Chow, Maggie Siu -- plus awesome supporting performances by Power Chan, Michael Tao, Bobby Au Yeung, etc etc.)

> Blood of Good and Evil (one of the best series ever -- Kenneth Tsang, Deric Wan, Maggie Siu, Law Lok Lam, Nathan Chan, Lam Lei, Yvonne Lam, etc. etc.)

> It Runs in the Family (absolutely HILARIOUS -- Sean Lau, Stephen Chow, Amy Chan, Bryan Leung, etc. etc.)

> A Life of His Own (one of Sammi's few TV series -- Hacken Lee, Sammi Cheng, Dickson Lee, etc.)

> Live for Life (very intense, but all awesome performances -- Margie Tsang, Gallen Lo, Mark Cheng, Anita Lee, etc.)

> On the Edge (also very intense drama, but the performances were awesome -- get the tissues ready though -- Deric Wan, Francis Ng, MIchael Tao, Sheren Tang, etc. etc.)

> The Greed of Man (definitely a classic! -- Damian Lau, Adam Cheng, Sean Lau, Yammie Nam, Vivian Chow, Amy Kwok, David Siu, plus way too many people to count...)

> Vengeance (Gallen's first truly evil role -- Deric Wan, Gallen Lo, Irene Wan, etc. etc.)

> Files of Justice I to V (very long, but this is the classic lawyer series that plummetted Michael and Bobby to popularity -- Michael Tao, Bobby AuYeung, Felix Lok, Amy Chan, etc. etc. -- there are way too many artists in this series to list -- each installment introduced different characters and artists)

> The Link (good series, but a bit draggy at times...if you want to see Ada in an evil role, this is the one -- Eddie Kwan, Gigi Lai, Ada Choi, Amy Kwok, David Siu, Dominic Lam, etc.)

> Remembrance (a hidden gem -- wrote a review on this in my blog -- Julian Cheung, Kenix Kwok, Jenny Chou, David Siu, Betsy Cheung, etc. etc.)

> Detective Investigation Files I to IV (totally love the 3rd installment best -- also wrote review on my blog -- this one is absolutely classic -- Michael Tao, Joey Leung, Kenix Kwok, etc. etc. -- note that the supporting cast is absolutely awesome)

> A Kindred Spirit (very long but absolutely one of the bests -- if you're up for 1128 episodes, then go for it...not going to list out the cast though because way too many people)

> Cold Blood Warm Heart (classic series, great ensemble cast -- Gallen Lo, Julian Cheung, Jessica Hsuan, Nnadia Chan, Christine Ng, Adam Cheng, etc. etc. -- again, too many to list)

> State of Divinity 1996 (the ONLY Jin Yong remake of the 90s that I liked -- Jackie Lui, Fiona Leung, Evergreen Mak, Timmy Ho, etc. etc.)

> Time Before Time (one of Kathy Chow's last series from the 90s era -- Gordon Lam, Kathy Chow, Florence Kwok, etc.)

> Untraceable Evidence I and II (my second favorite cop series in the 90s -- another classic -- Bowie Lam, Flora Chan, Margaret Chung, Maggie Chan, Lee San San, etc. etc.)

> Secret of the Heart (another classic with an ensemble cast -- Felix Wong, Amy Kwok, Gallen Lo, Kathy Chow, Ada Choi, Sunny Chan, Jessica Hsuan, Nick Cheung, etc.)

> Armed Reaction (I'm actually not too fond of this series, but love Bobby AuYeung and Esther Kwan -- they are the primary reason why I watched this)

> Witness to a Prosecution I and II (Bobby in an ancient series! Haha -- Bobby Au Yeung, Jessica Hsuan, Marianne Chan, Frankie Lam, etc. -- I actually didn't like the 2nd one as much because the cast totally changed except for Bobby)

> At the Threshold of an Era I and II (the 2nd installment was actually better, but that is techinically a 2000 series -- great ensemble cast consisting of Gallen Lo, Roger Kwok, Sunny Chan, Flora Chan, Ada Choi, Kenix Kwok, Liza Wang, Paul Chun, Nicholas Wu, Maggie Siu, etc. etc etc.....only watch this if you are into long series, as it is more than 100 episodes) -- also wrote a review on this in my blog

I actually have an even BIGGER list from the 80s (as that is really my generation), so if you're interested, let me know...
>

#35 lemontop

lemontop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Can someone please tell me what has happened to Fennie Yuen as she was really good with Aaron Kwok in a particular drama series I watched. They were both doctors and he fell in love with Gigi Lai. Poor Fennie died in the end when the other doctor shot her accidentally as the bullet was meant for Aaron. Anyone remember this series?

llwy12, You and I certainly have the same taste in Chinese dramas as most of the ones you mentioned I already seen and love. Did you like "Blood of Good and Evil"? I could have kicked myself for not recording it at the time. I really liked Deric Wan in it and it was such a lovely change seeing him play a nice guy role. Did you remember "Mon Chung Yan" sorry I don't know the translation in English. It was by Chow Yun Fat and made with Dodo Cheng and also Lee Heung Kam. I think Chow made his name doing that series. It was excellent and I loved the theme song. It had romance, intrigue and as far as I remember some excitment and vengeance. I always liked Dodo pairing with Chow Yun Fat. You probably recognise me from the other site I go on. I'm the one who is absolutely mad on the old 1980s - early 1990s dramas. I can go on and on talking about them but now, I would feel lucky if I have one a year that I like.

#36 jadul80

jadul80

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:42 AM

The English title must be Heartstrings (1994) :)

llwy12, You and I certainly have the same taste in Chinese dramas as most of the ones you mentioned I already seen and love. Did you like "Blood of Good and Evil"? I could have kicked myself for not recording it at the time. I really liked Deric Wan in it and it was such a lovely change seeing him play a nice guy role. Did you remember "Mon Chung Yan" sorry I don't know the translation in English. It was by Chow Yun Fat and made with Dodo Cheng and also Lee Heung Kam. I think Chow made his name doing that series. It was excellent and I loved the theme song. It had romance, intrigue and as far as I remember some excitment and vengeance. I always liked Dodo pairing with Chow Yun Fat. You probably recognise me from the other site I go on. I'm the one who is absolutely mad on the old 1980s - early 1990s dramas. I can go on and on talking about them but now, I would feel lucky if I have one a year that I like.

For me, BOGAE is the best Deric Wan series at TVB beside Looking Back In Anger. He's definitely the right choice to portray Chai Hou Nam, brilliant cast same case with Chow Yun Fat as Hui Man Keung in The Bund :thumbsup :thumbsup

Mon Chung Yan = The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1979), long eps drama, don't remember exactly about this oldies :crying:
Actually, many TVB fans who still love the past series since the current production mostly below par standard :wave:

#37 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

For me, BOGAE is the best Deric Wan series at TVB beside Looking Back In Anger. He's definitely the right choice to portray Chai Hou Nam, brilliant cast same case with Chow Yun Fat as Hui Man Keung in The Bund :thumbsup :thumbsup

Mon Chung Yan = The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1979), long eps drama, don't remember exactly about this oldies :crying:
Actually, many TVB fans who still love the past series since the current production mostly below par standard :wave:

Agreed regarding BOGAE (though I like most of Deric Wan's series, so it's kind of hard to pick a favorite)...but agreed that the casting was excellent!

Yes, the name of the series that lemontop mentioned is indeed The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I remember this series well, as I'm also a Chow Yun Fat fan and his performance in this series was excellent. This was actually one of the first 70s series that I watched and I remember how intrigued I was with it -- like lemontop mentions, it had all the elements of a great drama and is definitely one of the great classics of the 70s. Of course, I loved the CYF/Dodo pairing (classic!), even though his pairing with Susanna Auyeung was good too.

#38 lemontop

lemontop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

Agreed regarding BOGAE (though I like most of Deric Wan's series, so it's kind of hard to pick a favorite)...but agreed that the casting was excellent!

Yes, the name of the series that lemontop mentioned is indeed The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I remember this series well, as I'm also a Chow Yun Fat fan and his performance in this series was excellent. This was actually one of the first 70s series that I watched and I remember how intrigued I was with it -- like lemontop mentions, it had all the elements of a great drama and is definitely one of the great classics of the 70s. Of course, I loved the CYF/Dodo pairing (classic!), even though his pairing with Susanna Auyeung was good too.

Thanks for the translation as I didn't know it was good "The Good, the bad and the ugly" - funny translation as it reminds me of the Spagetti Western by Clint Eastwood. I have never heard of BOGAE - was it a modern drama or set back hundreds of years ago? One thing I have always wanted to know. The dramas where the men wear pigtails I know that would be around the Opium War years (Ching dynasty) but what about the period 1930s in The Bund? Would you call it "Mun Chor" period or would be around 1920s? I loved most of the oldies but particulary loved dramas set around The Bund years as they seem to have lots of excitment, vengeance, romance and intrigue.

I also loved Wong Yat Wah in The Condor Heroes dramas which I have recorded - all three parts. I thought that Barbara Yung was just perfect as Wong Yung. Strangely enough I have never watched the one with Lau Tak Wah who played Yeung Gor and Chan Yuk Lin as Siu Loong Liu. But with the Condor Heroes I thought that the fight scenes were great and Michael Mui was great as the villain.

I wonder has anyone seen "Instinct"? I am rewatching it now as that channel shows most of the older dramas. I really like Adam Cheng in it and actually prefer him to play that role than in Ding Hai. Some people find him a bit boring and too straight laced in this role whereas in Ding Hai he showed lots of emotion. I guess its all a matter of choice. A sad ending however.

#39 jadul80

jadul80

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

I have never heard of BOGAE - was it a modern drama or set back hundreds of years ago? One thing I have always wanted to know. The dramas where the men wear pigtails I know that would be around the Opium War years (Ching dynasty) but what about the period 1930s in The Bund? Would you call it "Mun Chor" period or would be around 1920s? I loved most of the oldies but particulary loved dramas set around The Bund years as they seem to have lots of excitment, vengeance, romance and intrigue.

I also loved Wong Yat Wah in The Condor Heroes dramas which I have recorded - all three parts. I thought that Barbara Yung was just perfect as Wong Yung. Strangely enough I have never watched the one with Lau Tak Wah who played Yeung Gor and Chan Yuk Lin as Siu Loong Liu. But with the Condor Heroes I thought that the fight scenes were great and Michael Mui was great as the villain.

I wonder has anyone seen "Instinct"? I am rewatching it now as that channel shows most of the older dramas. I really like Adam Cheng in it and actually prefer him to play that role than in Ding Hai. Some people find him a bit boring and too straight laced in this role whereas in Ding Hai he showed lots of emotion. I guess its all a matter of choice. A sad ending however.

BOGAE is very well recommended series to watch, one of TVB superb modern drama until now. BOGAE was filmed in 1989 and aired May 1990. Maybe you can see BOGAE thread in this forum -- http://asianfanatics...l-我本善良/

I used to call The Bund era as period drama, different with Manchurian era (some of Jin Yong novel :The Duke of Mount Deer, Flying Fox, Book & Sword).

Ha...ha...couldn't agree more, the 80's Condor Trilogy is my fave too clapclap

Instinct, not quite impressive. IMO The Greed of Man is much better :)

#40 lemontop

lemontop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

BOGAE is very well recommended series to watch, one of TVB superb modern drama until now. BOGAE was filmed in 1989 and aired May 1990. Maybe you can see BOGAE thread in this forum -- http://asianfanatics...l-我本善良/

I used to call The Bund era as period drama, different with Manchurian era (some of Jin Yong novel :The Duke of Mount Deer, Flying Fox, Book & Sword).

Ha...ha...couldn't agree more, the 80's Condor Trilogy is my fave too clapclap

Instinct, not quite impressive. IMO The Greed of Man is much better :)

Its good that we don't like exactly the same things all the time. So you actually prefer The Greed of Man. Funnily enough I'm the other way around and just finished that about a fortnight ago. I thought Vivian Chow was really cute. Liked her in the TVB film "Tulips in Amsterdam" made with Sean Lau around 1995. It was great.

Glad there's someone else who's a Condor Trilogy fan. Did you think Felix Wong Yat Wah fitted that role like a glove as well as Barbara Yung? With The Bund, I can watch it over and over again and never get bored and as for the song by Frances Yip, it was just superb!!!