Korean Actors and their 'National Service'

59 replies to this topic

#1 jayelae

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

Which actors have already finished their 2-year military service?

#2 _Snowie_

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

i don't know who've finished it but i know a lot of actors who's in the army right now..for example Song seung heon, So ji sub and won bin

#3 Gork

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:00 AM

ermm...I think Kwon Sang Woo has, and pretty much all of the age 30+ actors like Bae Yong Jun and Jang Dong Gun

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:29 AM

wonbin is in the military already?!
i thought he'll start his service on november??!!

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:39 AM

ShadyzLady, on Sep 14 2005 12 29 AM, said:

wonbin is in the military already?!
i thought he'll start his service on november??!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Won Bin defintely is also Han Jae Suk and Ji Sung are as well serving their military service.

Those who are born in the early 1980s will go pretty soon, maybe 2 years later. I think they have to join before they reach 28. Someone want to clarify? Wow, imagine Lee Dong Gun, Rain, Hyun Bin, Kim Jae Won, Kim Rae Won, Jae Hee, Kang Dong Won, Cho Han Sun, Jo In Sung etc all gone...sniff!

#6 0r4ng3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:40 AM

how long normally they have to serve in military?
:down
OHH no, everyone gona soon?
:shock

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:27 AM

Joona, on Sep 14 2005 7 39 AM, said:

Yes, Won Bin defintely is also Han Jae Suk and Ji Sung are as well serving their military service.

aawww.. now you got me really depressed!
i was hoping he could still do a film or something before serving the military
.. i guess not. :crying:

Those who are born in the early 1980s will go pretty soon, maybe 2 years later. I think they have to join before they reach 28. Someone want to clarify? Wow, imagine Lee Dong Gun, Rain, Hyun Bin, Kim Jae Won, Kim Rae Won, Jae Hee, Kang Dong Won, Cho Han Sun, Jo In Sung etc all gone...sniff!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

KRW should serve AFTER wonbin finished his.. or else i'd die! LOL!
cant bear not seeing the two of them for 2 years! :D

are u guys sure JDG has finished his service?
i remember reading somewhere that he hasnt served yet. and thats really kinda odd since he's over 30 years old.

#8 uglyduckling

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:27 AM

Oh gosh! Everyone is almost gone to military service. I wonder what actors are left to parcipate in news dramas. I am goign to cry without all those hotties actors...ahh ..i have a question. Why Koeran men have to serve military service? I heard about it, but i just curious and wonder why. I watched a movie car 'Friends" but i wonder why...lol..i am slow..

#9 _Snowie_

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

yeah..i really wonder why they have to go to military too...and why does it have to be 2 years...isn't one year or less enough?

#10 Icetea

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:10 PM

ShadyzLady, on Sep 14 2005 2 27 AM, said:

aawww.. now you got me really depressed!
i was hoping he could still do a film or something before serving the military
.. i guess  not.  :crying:
KRW should serve AFTER wonbin finished his.. or else i'd die! LOL!
cant bear not seeing the two of them for 2 years! :D
are u guys sure JDG has finished his service?
i remember reading somewhere that he hasnt served yet. and thats really kinda odd since he's over 30 years old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JDG was exempted from service because he had undergone a major surgery as a teen. He had water in the lungs aka pheumonia. :down

#11 rhapsodic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 08:38 AM

Song seung heon, So ji sub and won bin - at the peak (or near) of their careers and drafted...and just when i was becoming interested in SSH and won bin's work *sob* and then it'll be rain and jo in sung *sob again*

kwon sang woo? i didn't think he was 30+ - i always thought he was the same age as SSH

#12 honey_bear

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

ohh, so many good actors are out in the military .. !!
den looks like we wun have much new k dramas to check out ... !!
waiting for ji sung, soo ji sup to finish their military ..bcux i m so eager for eir new drama.. !

#13 para_para_po

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:44 AM

what's with these korean male stars going into some military services?
how is that so? is it mandatory? an obligation as a korean? is that it?

i'm sorry i'm so not aware about this.. i'm not korean.. and i've come across some of these male stars that will be gone for a year or two for their military services.. some of which are.. mm.. that guy in memories of bali or i'm sorry i love you and g.o.d.'s yoon kye sang.. etc..

please, i hope someone would explain this all to me.. are they going to be in the war? is that it? and if it's that so, what if they get killed? or is it just some sorta training? please.. i need an explanation to this..

i have really no idea to what it's really all about.. the military services.. because here in my country.. there's no such thing as that.. like actors to keep from acting to join these military services.. there's nothing like that here..

please explain.. i hope you get my point.. please..

thanks a million in advance!!! :hug

#14 dettol

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:41 AM

Song Seung Hun is already in military and heard that he's causing lots of problem. First trying to be exempted from service. Once he got in, there are reports of him being terribly sick, crying, depression and lots others.

Won Bin on the other hand will enter the military in November. From source, he's reported to be fully prepared and his filming schedule is already properly arranged. He even take one last movie before entering the service though i cant remember what movie.

As for Kim Jae Won, Rae Won, and Rain, i dont think they will attend any military service for this while since all 3 of them is still very young n in their early 20s. But i'd heard that Lee Dong Gun got plan of attending military. Not so sure about this.

Further explantion, Military Service is not about going to war or anything like that. It's about having a reserve army in the country. Something that have been pass down for generations. In the past, country like Korea, Japan, taiwan, China often get themselves into wars. So, till today many country still offers Military Service. Taiwan and Korea is 2 countries that still practice this seriously. China cant afford to have all its citizens to pratice this and i think they already have enough population to attack the world. Haha.

In Korea and Taiwan, National Service is compulsary. Duration is 2 years. If not mistaken, i think Korean need to attend military service so that they could get married. Their culture look at it seriously. A guy is consider immature until they attend the service.

Btw, nobody is going to get killed. it's only an army training. no war. Not like those in Taiwanese movie. Many country actually offers different type of military service. In singapore, i heard they've got these too. In my country(Malaysia). We are picked randomly when we are 17 years to join National Service, only for 2-3 months. About other country, not much known to me.

#15 Guest_CaT_*

• Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:45 AM

awww.... don't think i can go without Rain for 2 years when he does go :(

#16 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:04 AM

Ha ..Ha ..I thiknk KIM JAE WON may not to go to military because of his shortseeing eyes . His ambitition for his chilhood is police . I'm quite happy for this. If he has good eyes , maybe he wouldn't become a actor , and i can't watch him everyday . I don't think his wonderful character in Romance would have been performed by another actor .

#17 para_para_po

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:36 AM

a million thanks to dettol!! i'm quite enlightened now..
o btw, i'm from the philippines.. having military services isn't a must for our actors here.. no one's ever gone to those kind of services..

i think that custom(should i call it?) is nice.. they're quite patriotic for that..
i love won bin.. hehehe..

#18 ngpossible

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:13 AM

i was so disappointed to learn that won bin went to the military. altho you say they're not going to war, i hear it's a real difficult stage when you're in there. it's harsh or something, right?

• Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:16 AM

Song Seung Hun : 6th of November, 2006

Han Jae Suk : I think it will be around January, 2007

------------------------------------------------------------------

star news

#20 Aru-chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:39 AM

dettol, on Sep 28 2005 2 41 PM, said:

Further explantion, Military Service is not about going to war or anything like that. It's about having a reserve army in the country. Something that have been pass down for generations. In the past, country like Korea, Japan, taiwan, China often get themselves into wars. So, till today many country still offers Military Service. Taiwan and Korea is 2 countries that still practice this seriously. China cant afford to have all its citizens to pratice this and i think they already have enough population to attack the world. Haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reserve army?! :shock So if Korea does go to war, will these reserves be called to (waah!) serve? Not my beloved Kwon Sang Woo! Please no... I don't know what I would do if ever :shoot

And if Korea and Taiwan go to war (HEAVEN FORBID!!), will the reserves in Taiwan be brought in as well?? Will my beautiful F4 and these korean hotties be pitted against each other in real battle?? :ohmy:

Okay... the over-imaginative me has taken over. Sorry about that. In any case, thanks for the info about this military service that I've been hearing about... Like the others here, I didn't know Korea - and a few other Asian countries - have that compulsory thing.

I think that the service being necessary before marriage is a good thing. They should impose that here in the Philippines so that marriage between very young people could be minimized if not totally eradicated.

Edited by quilou, 11 October 2005 - 06:41 AM.

#21 tHEsLAyeR

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

I'm quite curious to find out which korean actors have served their country, and who hasn't? My current list is short...

Park Yong Ha - BEEN
Yoon Kye Sang, Ji Sung, Won Bin - Current

Can somebody please extend this list?

Edited by tHEsLAyeR, 16 December 2005 - 06:24 PM.

#22 BILLIE★

Mrs. Jung Ji Hoon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:48 AM

Song Seung Hun and So Ji Sup are currently serving I think.

#23 ttenovy

jack's brown eyed baby

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,720 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:51 AM

both of them are in the military right now. i think SOng Seung Hun, is gonna be finished soon

#24 tHEsLAyeR

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:51 AM

ttenovy, on Dec 17 2005 4 51 AM, said:

both of them are in the military right now. i think SOng Seung Hun, is gonna be finished soon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

really? thats interesting to know... but anyone knows how their system work? how come those actors can act then leave at the height of their careers?
and whether kim jae won did or not? he surely doesnt look like he did... :lol?:

#25 fanfan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:14 AM

Han Jae Suk and Jang Hyuk for the more well-known ones.

#26 akemi_ai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

song seung hun has less than one year to go.i think he is coming out late next year but not too sure about the others

#27 francesca

Retired AF Global Minister

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:05 AM

son seung hun still has a little more than a year before he can get out :)

#28 snowwhite

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:09 PM

tsk...tsk...my ji seoup is still inside...ohhh,when will my blue world gonna end..?i'm really lost without him. i just hope his smooth silky white skin wont get damaged by the training they do everyday...i wonder what they really do inside.. gosh! they've got to have atleast some mercy with the entertainers who somehow gains respect and fame from other countries for their country. why do they have to oblige them to suffer like this? the entertainment world needs them badly! now!...sigh... :crying:

#29 willenette

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

ezann, on Jan 8 2006 8 14 PM, said:

so when's lee dong gun going...
he is young too...
keke  :tricky:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I read in one of the forums (if I'm not mistaken) that he's going in next year.

#30 ezann

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

ya willenette
hmm all LDG fans including mi at least can see him this year...
hope he leave us many drama movie songs albums....
so we can watch listen while he is away...
haha :lol?:

ezann

#31 BILLIE★

Mrs. Jung Ji Hoon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

There is no need to make such a big deal out of military service you people. They are only in for military training but they are not going off to war so don't freak out. Some of you are exagerrating way too much when you said you'd die if you don't see your fav actor for 2 years. It's not like you would ever see them in real life so that talk about dying is way over the top. Military duty is an honorable thing and if my fav actors go, then I'd be really proud and respect them more. Bi is my fav idol but I can live without seeing him for 2 years. I don't think Kwon Sang Woo went yet and I heard he thought of some excuse to be exempt from the service.

#32 kimchi216

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:59 AM

yeah.. so depressing.. all these hot guys going into the army... this year Kim JongKook, KangTa, Lee DongGun, Jo SungMo, Eric (& half of shinhwa), Sohn HoYoung, Kim TaeWoo will hav 2 serve... :wave: man..i wish they didnt hav 2 go.. 2 years is a long time.. n all of this is because of the Korean War.. :argh

#33 Gork

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

kimchi216, on Jan 11 2006 2 59 AM, said:

yeah.. so depressing.. all these hot guys going into the army... this year Kim JongKook, KangTa, Lee DongGun, Jo SungMo, Eric (& half of shinhwa), Sohn HoYoung, Kim TaeWoo will hav 2 serve... :wave: man..i wish they didnt hav 2 go.. 2 years is a long time.. n all of this is because of the Korean War..  :argh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea i heard guys like Kangta, Kim Jong Kook and Eric got their draft notices already! they'll have to go this year...Im gonna miss Eric and Shinhwa so much!! :down But its good that they do their duty instead of hide from it ^^

I think KSW already did his military service! I remember reading somewhere that he enlisted early or something ^_^

#34 Lucky_Doraemon

Back to reality...T_T

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

i heard Andy and Eric gave up their US status thingy or wotever to do their military service. Respect to them. B) but yeh i think half of shinhwa are about the same age so they'll probably be going together.

Anyone know about 1tym? any of them serving going to serve etc?

Edited by Lucky_Doraemon, 14 January 2006 - 06:03 PM.

#35 BILLIE★

Mrs. Jung Ji Hoon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

View PostLucky_Doraemon, on Jan 14 2006 6 02 PM, said:

i heard Andy and Eric gave up their US status thingy or wotever to do their military service. Respect to them. B) but yeh i think half of shinhwa are about the same age so they'll probably be going together.

Anyone know about 1tym? any of them serving going to serve etc?

I heard that Jinhwan from 1TYM left for military service already.

#36 sassy_sweet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:44 AM

can anyone tell me when do koreans usually have to enlist in the military service?

is jo in sung in the military service right now..?? so does that mean after he shot Spring Day he got drafted already?

how about jae hee (Mong-ryong in Delightful girl)?? did he finished his service already?

#37 willenette

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:29 AM

View Postsassy_sweet, on Apr 6 2006 2 44 PM, said:

can anyone tell me when do koreans usually have to enlist in the military service?

is jo in sung in the military service right now..?? so does that mean after he shot Spring Day he got drafted already?

how about jae hee (Mong-ryong in Delightful girl)?? did he finished his service already?

Hi sassy_sweet, they have to serve the military before they reach the age of 30. Jo In Sung hasn't entered yet, probably we'll wait for 2 years more. I read in one of the forums the reason why he isn't involved with anyone right now because he still has to serve the military & will be gone for 2 years. He doesn't want to be unfair to his girl. I'm not sure if Bae Yong Joon finished his service already. But definitely, RAIN & Hyun Bin haven't entered yet. Gosh, I dont want them to go. Ji Sung & Su ji Sub will be out next year. Go Su I think will be enlisted this year. He is on-training now for 1-month in preparation for his entry. Just not sure if he is still at the camp now.

#38 meohmy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

It's good for them and good for the country. I don't know how their training is like but they learn lots of survival and battle skills in there. Even if they never end up going to war (HOPEFULLY!!), they will have lots of use for those newly learned skills.

#39 Da A

meTeoR dreaMers

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

View Postglitteringstarz18, on Jan 10 2006 4 02 AM, said:

There is no need to make such a big deal out of military service you people. They are only in for military training but they are not going off to war so don't freak out. Some of you are exagerrating way too much when you said you'd die if you don't see your fav actor for 2 years. It's not like you would ever see them in real life so that talk about dying is way over the top. Military duty is an honorable thing and if my fav actors go, then I'd be really proud and respect them more. Bi is my fav idol but I can live without seeing him for 2 years. I don't think Kwon Sang Woo went yet and I heard he thought of some excuse to be exempt from the service.

I also believe that this military service is a very honorable thing to do. Military service is a very good way of showing how much you love your own country. B) I wouldn't mind if my fave actors would go there and train. I mean, it is for their own good. ^_^

By the way, Yeon Jung Hoon (Han Ga In's husband) is also in the military. He joined the military last Nov. 2005.

#40 Lucky_Doraemon

Back to reality...T_T

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

update, i just remember reading that Shinhwa's Junjin may not have to go because he has terrible eyesight apparently, Hyesung might not have to go because he had operations on his kneww he injured a whiel back so maybe no, Eric just got outta hospital so maybe later and Dongwan is going but isn't staying their long or something. Anyd is still young so he might go later?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users