AF needs funding again

Photo

Yeet Hay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 goku127x

goku127x

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

Hello All,

Just figure i would ask, What exactly is YEET HAY in English and How come it is only Chinese people who get it? Don't White people get it also or do they just not realize when they are. :duh

And what can you do if you do feel Yeet Hay

Edited by goku127x, 24 January 2006 - 06:37 PM.

#2 iCanFly

iCanFly

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3142 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

hot air

well i think it's a belief of chinese ppl... i mean when you get a bleeding nose sometimes you'll go oh it's yeet hay. or when you get kanker sores in your mouth whereever you call it yeet hay as well.

#3 riceboi17

riceboi17

Am I insane?

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

I don't think there's such thing in the English language. I have never heard a doctor say not to eat chips, fried food and such.

#4 jeahh

jeahh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

Sore throat?

I don't know... it's not really a term in english.. more like what are the symptoms.

#5 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13467 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

in american terms...its er...bloody nose and cold sores :D lol that is all i can think up of when you get yeet hay :D other then that i dont think there is english term for that

#6 Fujimi_suki

Fujimi_suki

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

i think the term means that one comsumed too much oily stuff and grew pimples all over. Or get a sore throat due to too much fried and oily stuff.
that's why chinese people have cooling off tea?
and yeet hay = growing of pimples to the american population i think...

#7 shyqt

shyqt

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1708 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

i dont think that they have a term for that since it doesnt exist for the americans...they can eat just about anything and nothing happens to them while if we eat like a lot of fried stuff we get all these weird things like blisters in the mouth, pimples, and sore throat or so

#8 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1263 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

i dont think that they have a term for that since it doesnt exist for the americans...they can eat just about anything and nothing happens to them while if we eat like a lot of fried stuff we get all these weird things like blisters in the mouth, pimples, and sore throat or so

That's retarded. Just because we can't find the term for it doesn't mean it doesn't happen for them. That's the most stupid thing i've ever heard anyone say in my life.

#9 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13467 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:33 PM

hahahahh that is seriously the most funniest untrue and silly statments i have ever ever seen.

just cause there is no term for it in another language that those symptoms don't exist? omfg what a hoot!

look...everyone gets them one time or another..there is NO WAY a person doesn't get pimples...there is NO WAY a person doesn't get a cold sore...or a sore throat or blisters in there mouth...the only person who won't get those is either god or just darn lucky and blessed. but woah...your explaination made entirely no sense at all. :noclue baka...

#10 Sleepy_samurai

Sleepy_samurai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

Hahahaha :buahaha :buahaha

I've been wondering what Yeet Hay was as well as a kid, trying to explain to your friends why you had to drink some special black tea was kind of difficult. My mum said to me it was called heaty <_< I wasn't sure and my mum insisted I tell the doctor that that was what was wrong with me.

Although I didn't say nothing to the doctor I just descibed what things I had been eatting and he kind of understood but he didn't give me anything just said go home and drink lots of water.

Don't think you can actually have a direct translation or that there is one really all you can do is just try have have a balanced diet so you won't get it. :lmao:

#11 ^__^

^__^

Who's Dat?

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:51 AM

I don't think understand yeet hay because my parents and relatives are always talking about how the america's eatting habits are so weird... with their ice water and ice cream and all those other cold stuff.

#12 Libran

Libran

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:15 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it's heaty in English :) If you eat something heaty, make sure you drink lotsa water :D or something cooling

#13 chimagun

chimagun

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:28 AM

theres no such thing in english...yeet hay is just something the elders made up to make us drink lerng cha

#14 hoteggroll

hoteggroll

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:29 AM

Are you sure it doesn't mean yeast infection? How about chinese yeast infection? :buahaha

Does it happen when you eat spicy foods? Is it only restricted to eating?

Maybe there's a tagalog equivalent. :buahaha

#15 Guest_greenTicecream_*

Guest_greenTicecream_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:39 AM

yeet hay is pretty much when you eat too much fried or oily foods..basically what chinese people consider "hot"...you know that system or cold and hot foods....like..some people are "hot" so they can't eat too much "hot" foods or else it will be bad..if you're "cold" then you balance it by eating "hot" food. It's hard to explain. Basically tradition Chinese beliefs...

#16 lil_cute_hamster

lil_cute_hamster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:15 AM

i don't think their is an actual english word for "yeet Hay", but if u really wanna translate it by word then it would be Hot Air.. but in cantonese it would be referring to like oily foods (hot chips) and etc... u usually drink "lerng char" to help with "yeet Hay"

#17 PhantomGaL

PhantomGaL

I <3 Tony Leung & Leo Ku

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, like others, I would say it's called "heaty" too.

I've never heard of a proper medical term for that in English. And yeah, usually you would just describe your condition to the doctors (if they dont know what's yeet hay) and they'll know what you're on.

Yeet hay doesn't really have to do with traditions or whatever that some said earlier about elders making it up so we'll drink lerng cha or etc. It's just a faster way of describing to doctors who understand what's yeet hay instead of saying how much oily stuffs you ate, how little water you drank, how much chips and stuffs you took the past weeks. Yeet hay says it all to them.
It just happens that chinese have a term for this condition and there's none in English (if you do know, please tell me!).

I didnt expect that not everyone knows what this word means...thought it's pretty self-explanatory :P

#18 karrieb

karrieb

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:37 AM

Actually, from what I've learned the correct English term for it is "cankersore". I know it sounds funny, but I think it's the right term.

Usually if I have them, I try to sleep more, since getting less sleep also irritates/forms them as well.

#19 Ingman

Ingman

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

I believe that's a simple state you go into when you've eaten out of balance for a long term.
Chinese people think our body works as a balance "Ying and Yang". And that's why they say things are eater "cold" or "warm". Actually old Western scholars (Hippocrates, galenus) believed in the same system, untill some madman discovered that most sickness are caused by external effects, and burned all the books that discussed internal effects.... therefor conventional western medical science doesn't know this state called "Yeet hay".

Canker sore in your lips are usually caused by stress, out of balanced diet (low greens) or menstrual periods. Funny thing is... Western docters are not 100% sure what causes them :P. Maybe it wasn't so smart after all to burn wise works from other scientists.

Edited by Ingman, 27 January 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#20 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1263 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Actually, from what I've learned the correct English term for it is "cankersore". I know it sounds funny, but I think it's the right term.

Usually if I have them, I try to sleep more, since getting less sleep also irritates/forms them as well.

Nope, wrong term. It is actually called "heatiness" Canker sore is actually for those sores in your mouth.

#21 amsibm

amsibm

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

Well, in chinese, yin and yang are very prevalent in the society. Therefore, foods are divided into hot and cold variety. If you eat too much of the "hot" food, you will develop something called "yeet hay". Since, the west dont have such culture, the term doesn't really exist. Its just like when my mom used to tell me not to go to bed with my hair wet or I will catch a cold. But, cold really is caused by some external pathogen.

#22 kkl1208

kkl1208

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:53 PM

I think it can be described loosely as 'stress to the body' since whenever we feel 'yeet hay' we tend to start to get blisters in the mouth and sore throat and perhaps some pain and swelling in the jaw area. This actually occurs because our immune system is weakened because of the stress to the body and some bacteria or virus (oppourtunistic infection) can start growing in our body, giving us those unwated blisters in our mouth. That's why whenever we feel 'yeet hay' we like to rest and drink more fluids, which will help in restoring the immune system function and putting less stress to the body.

#23 GAMA_SENNIN

GAMA_SENNIN

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

there's no direct translation for "yeet hay" cept for maybe "heaty" the other ppl said before. But heaty doesn't really describe wut it is as heaty is more of a literal translation of the term yeet hay. there's really no word for it in english as the caucasians don't hv need for the word. Why? because yeet hay comes from the chinese medicinal belief that the human body consists of hot and cold bodies of air/circulation. So when you have too much hot air... u hv yeet hay (literally meaning hot air). usu. this happens when you eat lots of oily stuff like chips and stuff. Caucasians probly don't seem to have yeet hay as they don't really believe the chinese explanation for why you have cold sores and pimples. to caucasians you get pimples from oily pores and stuff.... so basically all ppl get yeet hay... but just call it diff things

#24 Quiescent

Quiescent

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:22 AM

I always thought that Yeet Hay was canker sores...cause I get them often. Obviously, I have some sort of herpes...yay.

#25 TomithyChen

TomithyChen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:44 AM

it literally means hot air... but it's more like hot chi/qi (life energy) i think.

I based that on: Hay in canto = Qi in mandarin

You have to balance it out/cool it down by doing healthier things. Like sleep more, eat healthier, etc. There's no chi in the west so you're not really going to hear a doctor talk about it.

And EVERY doctor will tell you to eat less oily foods and sleep more if you're unhealthy

#26 scoooby_doooby

scoooby_doooby

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:27 AM

yeah....i think its only a term used by chinese ppl..Lol when i found this thread!

had this discussion with my brother...i think it does exist and my parents always say my bro is yeet hay.....why he has so many spots.!! even one does get yeet hay but i suppose english ppl have different medicines to treat all the different symptoms..like i dont think they would relate the symptoms together. whereas chinese ppl cure the whole thing at once by drinking leung cha and avoid eating the foods!

(its like english ppl wont tell the patients to avoid certain foods when they are ill, whereas chinese doctors will....i believe this also as the food would affect how long u will heal....cant explain it, like people drink chu quat tong? if they broken their foot to quicken the healing)

#27 karrieb

karrieb

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

Nope, wrong term. It is actually called "heatiness" Canker sore is actually for those sores in your mouth.

Oh really? What kind of sores?? I told my dentist once that I had "cankersores" and he seemed to understand, and all my friends also used that term as well.

But then again, I'm from Canada, so maybe terms are different if you living in another country!

#28 sleaz0id x

sleaz0id x

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

lol wow there's a thread for this?? very cool ^_^ everytime me & my friends talk about being YEET HAY, non-chinese people always ask me what that means & i have no idea how to explain it to them.. =/

#29 shadow130y

shadow130y

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

Had this discussion with friends before and I believe that the proper term or at least something close enough to yeet hay is homeostasis.

#30 ^x^A reason to love^-^

^x^A reason to love^-^

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

in china if you were to get acupuncter they would describe Yeet Hay in english
"hot air"

i actually never heard it as heaty lol

in english there is no such translation,

if you get a sore throat some would say Yeet hay

but in english they would say it separetly as resulting to eating oily foods which does not give you enopugh effiency in vitamins ...minarls...

causing a sore throat or just infection...

hahahaa im confusing myself now ahahaa

#31 i NO longer lurve Paris Hilton

i NO longer lurve Paris Hilton

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

U mean americans are imune to fried foods??? they wont get sickness even if they eat lotsa fried food?? well i doubt that, because it sounds so weird. how can a human b imune to fried food just because he/she is an american..

and i think the word is heaty. although i don't think this is an official english word because its not in the dictionary, this word is widely use by chinese....

#32 scoooby_doooby

scoooby_doooby

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

u can also get yeet hay from staying up late at night and being stressed......do you notice this during exams and revision times.?????....

#33 Kariel

Kariel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:23 AM

I always wonder what Yeet Hay is in English. I don't think there's such thing as Yeet Hay in English. I think Americans just refer to it as having lots of toxins in your blood, which leads to breakouts. And when we breakout, Chinese say we are Yeet Hay.

#34 kaeky

kaeky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

haha everyone is so funny. I think it would be called DEHYDRATION cause thats essentially what it is. hence the need for increased fluid intake, dehydration causes stress to the body hence all the other crap like sores, altered levels of immune systems, etc, etc.

#35 inniminnimanimo

inniminnimanimo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

lol ders no english term for it, cause its a chinese medical term, its kinda like "feng shui" they dont have their own term for it, when they eventually understand and adopt the idea they will probably just use "yeet hai" as well snstead of creating a name for it

#36 DurpDell

DurpDell

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

haha my roomate says it's a chinese thing used to scare little children into drinking that "cool tea" if you know what i mean. It's not an american thing so you won't find it as any disesase or diagnosis. It seems to be merely a chinese idea about health.

#37 Phish

Phish

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1365 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Isnt it a FEVER????

#38 bapor

bapor

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:09 AM

^ no lol. that's faat siu

lol. i've always wondered.. what the english word for yit heey was.. i ually just call it hot air ahaha.. which is kinda weird

#39 Shuki-Chan

Shuki-Chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

i believe, well in chinese its means hot air and it refers to i think all the "hot" stuff chinese people belive in like chips, fries, pizza, etc. it doesnt really effect or say much in english people.

#40 disordered_li

disordered_li

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:31 AM

haha... yeet hey... seems thats wat my mum always say if i feel this thing or another... but there aint realy a word for it in english... its kinda like just explaining a couple of symtoms if your other friends ask whats wrong.
I kinda kind this with a lot of chinese words that don't seem to have an 'appropriate' english meaning to explain....