AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Do Asians genetically have bad eyesight?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 spazgal420

spazgal420

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1592 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

We were discussing this at school today and it just occured to me, do you think it is easier for Asians to have bad eyesight due to genetics? It seems like every Asian at our school either wears contacts or glasses. I thought about it one time and decided that I don't watch TV or use the computer any less than my friends do but they have near perfect vision whereas mine is only good enough for me not to run into stuff when I walk, without contacts on that is.

People always associate Asians with being smart because they wear glasses. I'm not saying that Asians aren't smart but now I think maybe bad eyesight doesn't have much to do with reading a lot or not but rather, it's genetics.

#2 黃家連

黃家連

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

yeah ! i agree - i've noticed that alot .. every asian i know, i can say has glasses or needs glasses / wears contacts .. and that's alot of asians actually .. and it's not just an exaggeration ! even half asian , half white ppl i know need glasses .. maybe it is genetics ? never thought of it that way @__@ just thought maybe my eyes went weird cos i watched too much tv ! lol interesting observation :)

#3 king34

king34

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

yeah I noticed it too, all my family in hong kong has a glasses. But i think de reason is that de hk people has to study a lot and they watch too much tv and playing to much computer games. And i am also wearing glasses but thats because of watching too much tv and not because reading books

Edited by king34, 25 March 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#4 poohee

poohee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

Wearing glasses and intelligence have no strong association, whatsoever, that's for sure. I took a genetics course and if I remember correctly, it was mentioned that some cultures (not specifically Asians only) do have a strong relationship with certain traits due to genetics. However, I don't think there's ever a research or study that has confirmed it 100%.

#5 Kaizaro

Kaizaro

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

yea that could be true though that asians have geneticly bad eye sights.. but owell i dont have a bad eyesight yet ^^ but yea i see a lot of asian people wearing glasses

#6 Shuki-Chan

Shuki-Chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

well i dont really know for sure. but i see a lot of asians wearing glasses. it might
be because they watch tv/study too much. i have no idea.

#7 flowertree

flowertree

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

It's not genetic.

#8 hellsage

hellsage

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF supporter
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:02 AM

I have to say yes. Genes have a degree of influence on bad eyesight.

The external factors that may have triggered bad eyesight may be tv or focusing too long at one location.

I didn't have to wear glassess until grade 8. That's during purberty and I wan't doing much outdoor activities.

#9 SomeAsianGuy

SomeAsianGuy

Why Am I Here

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:24 AM

i dont think it is gentic but i am wearing glasses :whistle

#10 Ll 7l

Ll 7l

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:25 AM

Genetics DOES play a role for eyesight. Believe it or not, eyes do have different shapes (the cornea of the eye, that is), which determine whether you have 20/20 vision or not. You can inherit slight shapes/bends of the cornea, causing your family to be prone to having bad eyesight or perfect eyesight.

My family is prone to having bad eyesight. There are six members in my family (including me) and we ALL wear corrective lenses/contacts, etc. For instance, my dad has really bad eyesight, and my oldest sister takes after him, whereas my mom has astigmatism, but not as bad eyesight...as do i.

I think Asians, generally, do have bad eyesight compared to other ethnicites. I think mainly because of genetics, but also, asians are very disciplined in studying and putting lots of strain on the eyes, which doesn't necessarily cause bad eyesight, but it does exacerbate that thier eyes are worse than other ethnicities.

#11 diopatra

diopatra

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:27 AM

genetically maybe yes.

but there many races of asia, so we cannot conclude that asians are genetically have a bad sight, i myself dont have to wear eyeglasses and im 25 already.

#12 ding dong

ding dong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

that's not necessarily true, it's very hard to say because everyone in my family wears glasses except for me or maybe that certain gene didn't pass on to me

#13 --L3t Us R3START--

--L3t Us R3START--

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

lolz of course nooooo

i dont think it genetic because all my friend and i seems to have good eye sight....

#14 aisu_kuriimu

aisu_kuriimu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

hmm i guess genetics may play a part in it, but i think it could be due to enviromental factors too... i.e how our lifestyle may effect it.
but, i have realised that a lot of oriental people wear glasses, everyone in my family wears glasses, mum, dad, bro and me included.. and so do all my cousins on my mum's side.. i guess genetics and lifestyle may have an effect ??

#15 smarties24

smarties24

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:37 PM

i think its becos of all the tv. reading or computer usage that makes us wear glasses. i have glasses but none of my parents have glasses!

#16 acel

acel

^_^ little lover

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:23 PM

my jap teacher told me that cuz chinese have to read all those chinese words or characters that sometimes are so small...this make their eyesight bad..where else whites' handwritings are like so BIG!..so they don't have to force themselves to squint their eyes...i dunno...that's my opinion..

#17 checkerz

checkerz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

I realised that too...-_- it's hard to admit but yeah, more and more Asians are specky these days. Maybe our genes more susceptable to the effects of computers and Tvs and stuff..sigh.

#18 diopatra

diopatra

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

that's not necessarily true, it's very hard to say because everyone in my family wears glasses except for me or maybe that certain gene didn't pass on to me

the certain characteristic may not be dominan on your blood but i think its in your genes

you understand it if you study genetics

#19 LiL~Yee

LiL~Yee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

LOL now that some ones mentioned it most of my chinese friends needs glasses and both my brothers and i need specs

#20 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

well i personally don't think so ... i think its up to the individual gens...

#21 xvi3txl0v1ngx

xvi3txl0v1ngx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:59 AM

My left eye needs glasses, but not to the point where i bump into things, just that some stuff are blury if they are far away. While my right eye doesn't need glasses at all. I genetically got this from my mom, except hers aren't completly different whereas mine, one needs glasses and one doesn't. So in the end, it makes to use if i wear glasses or not, but the doctor says i will go blind in my left eye if i don't wear my glasse and cover the right side and read for at least an hour a day, which i don't do......i tend to get a headache after doing that....

#22 The Prodigy

The Prodigy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:00 AM

maybe its becuase asian people have small eyes -.-
But come to think of it alot of asian do have bad eye sight.

#23 sercoe

sercoe

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:02 AM

Meh I think it is because we alwasy looking at things close (atleast for me). To do hwk you have to work at reading distance for a long time. Same with using the computer.

My brothers who both use the computer a lot less than me dont really need glasses.
Maybe it does have to do with genetics though...

#24 CrushedDreamz

CrushedDreamz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:03 AM

Well.. there are many exceptions.. and yes.. Farsightedness is an inherited trait.. I know a lot of people that don't were glasses or contacts.. but I have really bad eyes.. hah..

#25 Carinex88

Carinex88

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:02 AM

Hmm. This is an interesting point whoch u have brought up. I never really thought of that. Genetics? Sounds possible.

In singapore, a majority of the young children are already wearing glasses. Thoug there might be factors like reading too much, or staring at the TV or computer screen for too long, who knows genetics might be the main factor behind it? (:

Carine(:

#26 dan168

dan168

Go Eagles!

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:46 AM

I dont think its genetics. I think its due to the fact that asian parents pressure their kids to read/study a lot when they are young. My eyesight is ok even though parents did make me read/study a lot in my younger days.