AF needs funding again

Photo

Who is the 5th "Heavenly King"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 60699

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3676 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:30 AM

Translated by 60699
Taken from bbs.ent.163.com

Who is the 5th "Heavenly King"?

As we all know, the "Four Heavenly Kings" are Jacky Cheung, Aaron Kwok, Leon Lai, and Andy Lau. In the time where the "Four Heavenly Kings" overshadowed many great singers, those that were possible to replace the "Four Heavenly Kings" can only be called the "Fifth Heavenly King." Those that were possible of holding the title "Fifth Heavenly King" are Hacken Lee, Christopher Wong, Lui Fong, Ekin Cheng, Andy Hui, Eric Suen, William So, Alex To, Ronald Cheng, and Jung Hon Leung. As time passes, one must admit that they are getting old. Although some of the artists on the list are still active singers today but, whether or not they can become the "Fifth Heavenly King" depends upon their contribution. If they can't contribute anything new...they must admit defeat.

A few years back, Alan Tam announced the "New Four Heavenly Kings" -- Andy Hui, Leo Ku, Hacken Lee, Edmond Leung. The media and music people came out to question whether the choices of these 4 were justified. Futhermore, people asked why Eason Chan was not part of the list?

So right now, who do you think should be the ultimate "Fifth Heavenly King?"

Hacken Lee -- "Singing Technique Heavenly King"
Early on, Hacken was said to be the "Fifth Heavenly King" but even earlier, he was thought of to be the successor of Alan Tam. When Alan Tam decided not to accept anymore awards, when Leslie Cheung decided to slowly fade away from the music industry, and when Jacky Cheung was not "Jacky Cheung," Hacken easily used 3 songs to win back-to-back-to-back yearly awards.

In 1993, Jacky Cheung was named "Perfect Vocals" and in 1994, Hacken was named "Zero Defect Vocals." They were even named "Cheung Sam Lei Sei" (張三李四.) Someone classifed them as, Chin Yam (forefront), Jacky was best; Jan Yam (vibrato), Hacken was best; Wan Yam, Jacky was best; Ching Yam, Hacken was best; Cheung Gung (technique), Jacky was best; and Seng Sin, Hacken was best. It doesn't matter, the two of them have the perfect vocals."

Hacken has always been labeled, "The songs are popular but the singer isn't." After successful concerts with Alan Tam and winning 3 "Favorite Male Singer" awards in 4 years, Hacken has proved his label wrong.

Leo Ku -- "Electric Eye Heavenly King"
Whether in the past or in the present, Leo Ku has always chosen songs that had a clean and neat style. Using his asset, his falsetto, he has always chosen songs with a good standard. Although his singing skills have always been approved, his stage performances are also acknowledged by his fans.

Was Leo said to be Ma Ching Tao's successor? His popularity might be similar but, his image isn't. As an actor, Leo can easily burst into tears leaving the audience the impression of "sadness." In another movie, Leo is the "sunshine boy" leaving the audience the impression of "carefreeness." Regardless if Leo is the sunshine or the sadness, no one can doubt that he has "electric eyes." As for what his acting skills lack, please forgive him.

Edmond Leung -- "Hard Life Heavenly King"
The one person who needs to thank Alan Tam is Edmond, having been questioned whether he deserved to be one of the "New Four Heavenly Kings." Although Edmond's singing skills are not known to listeners in China, he is the "Siu Sung" of the former Capital Aritsts.

Being in the HK music industry for 15 years, time after time, seeing good friends Andy Hui and William So getting popular and winning awards, all he can do is sit, watch and be happy for them. When his record company closed down and he was having trouble with money, he had to ask his friends to lend him money to get through day by day.

Many listeners outside of Hong Kong have questioned whether he deserved to be one of the "New Heavenly Kings" and I only blame them for not knowing all the facts. Edmond, who has been in the business many years, has the vocals to be a "Heavenly King" contender. But, being a good singer also means being able to sell to the listeners. Popular songs are necessary -- and it has always been that way in the music industry.

Andy Hui - "Common People's Heavenly King"
A few years back, outside of Hong Kong, Andy Hui has always been known as "Sammi Cheng's boyfriend." After many years, Andy has finally turned into a top tier singer. Thanks to his singing skills and professional work ethics.

With much experience in music and in life, Andy Hui's love songs have become a part of listener's lives. The only fault in his career is not being able to bring out his acting abilities in movies and tv series. If he did succeed in that area, he would be even more popular. With his warm voice being able to tell you a story through his songs, he is "The Common People's Heavenly King."

Eason Chan - "Blessed Heavenly King"
Eason's abilities are not doubted. When Alan Tam named the "New Four Heavenly Kings," many people came out and asked, "Why isn't Eason one of them?" Someone even saying, "Eason is the mainstream male singer in Hong Kong, with his gold award songs...you will listen until you get a headache, you will listen until your heart aches."

No matter if it was in the past when he was silent or in the present when he has a temper, Eason has never changed the way he speaks and has never changed his way of approaching people. At a concert, when he cried, he would say, "I'm just sweating" and right after, he'd playfully put on his crying face.

Eason has never cared about a cover story regarding him, as he never used it to gain popularity. He also never cared to turn himself into a front page story -- which is what the media wants. He would go as far as using one of his 2005 hit songs "Exaggerated" (浮夸) to tell you his position regarding the media. If Eason were to "attack" you, he would do it on the stage with his voice and songs, he won't do it with manners and he will rebel.

In Hong Kong music, there are not many singers who can freely express themselves through their voice. Even when Hacken, who has a great voice, goes on stage it seems as if he has a pattern to follow and there is no change. But Eason uses the simplest way to sing yet it sounds incomparably great.

In 2005, Eason had a great year. In the beginning of 2006, Eason released an EP with his daughter on the cover, making a statement -- "I am blessed."

Edited by 60699, 18 April 2006 - 04:31 AM.

#2 duckevo

duckevo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:51 AM

i think eason chan, leo ku and hacken lee will make the cut into the heavenly king category........ clapclap

#3 charmedforeva

charmedforeva

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:15 AM

yea i think they are all good singers... and have a good chance as being a 'heavenly king'

#4 Gojita

Gojita

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:19 AM

Interesting! It is tru that no matter what they can't replace the 4 heavenly kings! It will always be Leon, Jacky, Andy and Aaron!! ^^

#5 glittergrl

glittergrl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:29 AM

i've always thought of hacken as the "5th heavenly king"... he deserves it =D

#6 loveoncemore

loveoncemore

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:47 AM

the only ones on the list that can be the 5th heavenly king are only hacken and eason. the rest of them cant sing that good.

#7 dt8383

dt8383

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:10 AM

I really don't think they need to replace them. The original made a legend that can't be forgotten or replaced. Yes of course new generations will have new singers and idols. But for me, it will always be the original four.

#8 Kit_0908

Kit_0908

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:18 AM

i agreed... but i dunno about Andy Hui, since his songs isnt that hit for last year. but eason and leo and hacken my all time favourite. =)

#9 nukerc

nukerc

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:34 AM

all of them are good... Andy Hui & Hacken were good contention for being the 5th heavenly king... but Andy bailed out with recent years being not active since the year he won the Best Male with Sammi. From what I see Leo and Hacken are running for being the 5th heavenly king... regarding Eason he too busy with her daughter and Edmond I just don't know... someone really needs to help him out ... give him some good song to sing >.> !!!

but my vote will go to Hacken Lee ... he deserve it, he been singing for long long time and haven't let down fans at all like Andy Lau .. keep on being active singing and acting to pay off their all time loyal fans! Leo sooner or later will be a heavenly king if he doesn't leave the music business like he did once for filming... but anyway we'll see...

#10 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:42 AM

all of these artists make sense but andy lau has not exactly retired and hacken looks to be almost the same age as andy lau. if the fifth king existed it probably would have been hacken. eventally the young artist would replace the so heavenly kings

Edited by dgundam14, 18 April 2006 - 05:45 AM.

#11 Tarepanda

Tarepanda

超高校級のweeby

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:00 AM

Forget Andy Hui... I still can't really see much talent and luck with him... the real competition is between Eason, Hacken and Leo... Edmond is somewhere there, just not exactly on par with them.

This is only competition-wise.... I still don't really support the whole "replacing the old 4 heavenly kings" idea. Seriously, it really all started off with Alan Tam rambling about... stuff. Random stuff. I don't see why we have to replace the old with the new just because someone mentioned so.

Just my two cent........

#12 compufo

compufo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:15 AM

andy hui has a really good voice, but I guess its HIM that doesn't sell to the fans.

hacken really does deserves it

#13 fantasia

fantasia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

i agree v loveoncemore n terapanda.we cant juz replace the current 4 heavenly king.they r still good as usual..what we can do only to give new name/title to those new singer as what 60699 has did..anyone agree with my idea??

#14 jlau

jlau

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:37 AM

Its a new era now....y are pplz still talking bout new heavenly kings ......no1 can compare to the publicity that the 4 of them got in the early 90s......its a different time now....back then majority of their songs in an album were all hits....now a days.....these singer's album prolly only have like 1 or 2 hit songs in them....and there are so many new artists coming out each yr....the fanbase is like all spread out ....so now its like quantity over quality....no1 wants to replace the 4 kings...cause they are irreplacable...they just wanna throw sumtin new out there so it'll hype up the ent. industry.....

#15 LovestCarmen

LovestCarmen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

if u ask me they should take out andy hui and put eason. i dont really like andy hui and he dont even consider to be that good of a singer if u ask me lol. eason definitely so much better

#16 leongal

leongal

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Gojita @ Apr 18 2006 11 19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting! It is tru that no matter what they can't replace the 4 heavenly kings! It will always be Leon, Jacky, Andy and Aaron!! ^^

i so agree with u....

btw...it doesn matter who are the heavenly kings, as long as they give us good songs, it would be fine!!!

#17 Angel_Cheeks

Angel_Cheeks

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:39 AM

Well i prefer Hacken and Eason. Both are having lots of experience and can be rank in the same place as the other four legend heavenly kings

Well i prefer Hacken and Eason. Both are having lots of experience and can be rank in the same place as the other four legend heavenly kings

#18 ultraviolence

ultraviolence

trash80 wannabe

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

cantopop would be better off forgetting all these silly labels and concentrating on decent songs and singers with substance over style

who cares about "heavenly kings"? its meaningless! it just becomes a weight on the people's shoulders who get this name. its 2006 so we should move on.

#19 Pebbles

Pebbles

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:09 AM

i would think Hacken Lee should take the place of 5th Heavenly King. In terms of voices and the no of years in the music industry, he should be entitled to it!!

#20 marshmallow

marshmallow

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:13 AM

I don't care what is said.. the 4 heavenly kings are: Alan Tam, Jacky Cheung, Hacken Lee, and Andy Lau.

Next in line should be Leo Ku then perhaps Edison Chan though he hasn't done enough yet to warrant it.

Andy Hui and Leon Lai can't sing for poo.

Edited by marshmallow, 18 April 2006 - 08:15 AM.

#21 OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ

I'm Rick James, B!tch

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hacken Lee should be, he been in the business for such a long time. Everyone has respect for him. He sings really great too, eason is not a bad choice either

#22 J*MV

J*MV

Sexually Confused

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

i don't even think they need to bother with this whole "fifth heavenly king" thing..
the original 4 are irreplaceable, and they should just leave it at that.

#23 ngpossible

ngpossible

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

the thing is...the four heavingly kings have been popular straight for over ten years...i believe if someone is to be categorized as the 5th king, he has to set that record as well and maintain little rumors...i'm not sure if eason qualifies for it because it's on and off for him...his attitude is kind of weird and he's really quiet...i believe hacken is a good candidate

#24 wontonmein

wontonmein

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

they shouldnt call the newer generation heavenly kings cos noone can possibly replace the old ones, instead they should make a new name for them. the five people mentioned above are all good in their own ways, but none of them has the whole 'heavenly king package'

#25 cutefuzzy

cutefuzzy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

i think eason,leo n hacken can do it..others nah..ronald???come on..i onli luv his mo lai song!

#26 vonnie_angel

vonnie_angel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:12 PM

i think eason leo and hacken all deserve!
and its true about edmond its cos his songs arent too popular
but i htink hes pretti good but im not a particular fan of his though....

#27 KKVL

KKVL

~CoffeeHolic ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1811 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

yea.. i think eason, leo and hacken stand a really good chance.. especially leo.. lol...

Edited by KKVL, 18 April 2006 - 01:22 PM.

#28 mel0deez

mel0deez

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

I don't agree with Edmond Leung as one of the New Heavenly Kings. He's faded in and out of the music industry. It was probably luck that he got labelled one of the Kings at that time; when he was at a good height in his career. After that, he'd disappeared again and has just recently started coming back onto our TV's and stereos. Someone with such a rocky career can't be labelled with such supremacy. Andy Lau is probably the perfect example of one the best. As the papers have announced, he's ruled the industry for 20 years straight.

#29 skzeratul

skzeratul

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1065 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

to name them as to replace the Heavenly King isnt fair, looking at the fact that they eventually already with the industry for so many years...probably naming new singer like Justin etc as replacing them would be better...

#30 Kon

Kon

Ron and Nancy Fan*

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

i reckon they should jsut make a new name keep the legend to how it originalli is
but if so i reckon hacken lee, eason chan and leo can be the new ones

#31 lilaznangel_17

lilaznangel_17

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

I think that Eason should have been one of the new four heavenly kings. He has a great voice and definitely has the potential to be one of them.

#32 echizen82

echizen82

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

In my opinion, I think Hacken will be the 5th Heavenly King. He has been singing for a long time and fans do love his music and his voice and how his humor is really funny. I really think he should be the 5th Heavenly King.

Leo would have the competition against Hacken. He has been one of those male singers that will sneak in and be like this potential candidate against someone who has more potential than he has. I like his music, but I think his acting could use a little more improvement. Not saying that he is bad, but just needs improvement and he will give Hacken a run for his money.

Andy Hui has been slipping his status because he has not been active in the music industry and not really focusing too well. He would be considered as the 5th Heavenly King, but the breakup with Sammi really hurted his chances to become the 5th Heavenly King, even though he and Hacken have been singing for a long time.

Edmond Leung wouldn't be considered for the title because of the fact that he doesn't have much albums out and he doesn't have appeal to the HK music industry. I think he will need to work on more with his music and maybe he will have the chance in the future.

Eason.......I really don't think he can be classified yet as the 5th Heavenly King. I mean, his music maybe at the top with Leo, Hacken, and all the others, but he doesn't have that appeal or something. I think he is like Edmond, where in the future he will have more chances. clapclap clapclap

#33 pink mango

pink mango

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

You can't just add one on....There needn't be a 5th Heavenly King. The 4 Heavenly Kings was an era, one which has passed and stays in history as a classic. They can make up another name for the new singers if they want.

The original 4 Heavenly Kings were 'grouped' to promote them - the other singers mentioned don't need to be promoted anymore. I think most of those singers have their own individual style, they don't need to belong to a 'club'. Especially Eason. He is, and in my mind always will be, an absolute individual.

#34 miz_appie

miz_appie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

i think they are all great but i serious think they should just leave it the original 4 heavenly kings and not add the 5th heavenly kings or make a new 4 heavenly kings..its too much drama and opinions..its hard to say who deserve to be in that group or added another male artist..but if i had to really choose i would pick hacken or eason

#35 LiK

LiK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:25 PM

I think it's high time that hacken lee got his due, but I also agree that being a heavenly king isn't just about the vocals
popularity, longevity, and legacy play a big part
I don't see anyone currently as a group who can tie the original 4 kings that same way
how come they don't have 4 heavnely queens?
kelly chen would be my #1 pick
I assume the rest would be miriam, joey, and maybe sammi?
however, sammi hasn't had a new album in a long time

#36 danny5569

danny5569

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

i think if there is really new heavenly king....i think edmund leong must be taken out....and eason should be inside....i do believe that edmund has a hard life and maybe his ethic of work is good...but to bcome a heavenly king...isnt it must hav a good song that can sell to everyone.....

#37 Phish

Phish

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1365 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

All this talk about Alan naming the new kings seem to have been swept under the carpet.

When the media in the 90s named the original 4, the name has been with them up till now and everyone is still proud of them and its so fixed and unchangeable.

When Alan named the "new" 4 2years ago, its was a small "hype" and now everyones forgotten about it. its not too bad to name a few new ones but u have to take into account that when naming the new ones, there will be objections to it.

I mean how many people now still talks about the so-called new kings? Eason was just unlucky to be away from music at the time, im sure he will be named rather than one of those who was "named".
---------------
- Anyway, response to the article:

i think Hacken deserve to be there firstly. Im not hackens biggest fan but he was supposedly the 5th king in the early 90s along with the originals. But he obviously failed to prove it.

Last and most importantly, the media or anyone can name whoever they want nowadays to be the "New Four" or "5th king" but u cannot replace the originals anyways.
The original FOUR were named for a reason. Not because they were the most popular then, but each had a distinctive style and uniqueness. The new ones now dont even have anything too unique and special between them to emerge be the "5th"

Jacky was the Singing king, Andy was the Acting King, Leon was the Teen Idol King, Aaron was the Dancing King.
New ones cant beat that can they? Maybe if there was a Music Composing singer who is verdy populat then they can be the 5th King

Edited by Phish, 18 April 2006 - 04:54 PM.

#38 kakaooo

kakaooo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

thanks for translating.
very intresting
eason hacken and leo are great singers.

#39 invisibleninja82

invisibleninja82

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:08 PM

I haven't personally heard anything from Edmond or Andy...but Hacken and Eason to me are excellent singers. Eason also has talents beyond just singing like composing as well. If I had to choose...I would pick Eason as the "Fifth Heavenly King." I remember back in the day when they had that show where Leon, Jacky, Andy, and Aaron picked envelopes to decide who was which "Heavenly King." It was so gimmicky...haha! I personally don't even think Aaron or Leon should have been "Heavenly Kings," but I guess that's a conversation for another forum category =P.

#40 illusions*

illusions*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

edmond and andy just suck no offense i never heard a song from them not even on the radios i never see them winning awards