AF needs funding again

- - - - -

Why are most Asian girls so skinny in comparison to other culture girls?

asian skinny slim culture cultural

167 replies to this topic

#1 Mulan17

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

I went to China over the summer... and man! the girls there are SKINNY! Everyone in America told me I'm skinny...I don't think so but I'm decent...5'1" at 112lbs....and I'm considered skinny in America. But the girls in like Hong Kong or Mainland China are sooo skinny.....skinny as in they look pretty b/c they're skinny and there are also girls who are skinny to the pt that they look unhealthy. Why is that? The food they eat...not enough nutrients....different living styles.....different cultural foods...???

I just want to hear some different opinions and views on this topic. Or is America just a country full of fat ppl? What do u think is the definition of skinny....is it being in the average weight range for that specific height or being below that average?

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:10 AM

They think skinny = good body, for some strange reason... obsessed.

#3 RAMPAGING_ORK!!!

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

Mulan17, on Apr 19 2006 6 51 AM, said:

I went to China over the summer... and man! the girls there are SKINNY! Everyone in America told me I'm skinny...I don't think so but I'm decent...5'1" at 112lbs....and I'm considered skinny in America. But the girls in like Hong Kong or Mainland China are sooo skinny.....skinny as in they look pretty b/c they're skinny and there are also girls who are skinny to the pt that they look unhealthy. Why is that? The food they eat...not enough nutrients....different living styles.....different cultural foods...???

I just want to hear some different opinions and views on this topic. Or is America just a country full of fat ppl? What do u think is the definition of skinny....is it being in the average weight range for that specific height or being below that average?

I think it is just genes.

We are all human but we are all different breeds of human. Just like a bulldog is not as sleek as a greyhound, different breeds of humans have certain predominante charactersitics over other breeds of humans. I think its just genes, and you cant say its diet because chinese people eat a lot of meat and they are still small skinny people.

#4 Corgan84

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

i think it is diet and lifestyle

people from china doesn't have fully nutritional meals all the time.

if i remembered, a report says that during 19th century, europe has same average height with china current average height.... look at japan.... they used to have low height.. but study shows the new generation height is almost on par with western already. cant remember the site that says tis

#5 miss_illusive

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

most asian girls are obsessed with the way they look have you ever seen those asian middle aged women driving? they where a whole bunch of stuff to cover themselves to not get dark.. it's weird... my aunt isn't like that though i guess it was cuhz she was raised in the US but she was born in taiwan so yea my stepmom's like that tho she's sooo skinny 'nd stuff

#6 glk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:46 AM

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
112lb isnt skinny bro
dats 48-50kg im not sure about the weighting of lbs but its around there and with the height of 153cm or so dats consider fat n round.
my gf is 159 at 46kg n she calls herself fat

#7 ipigS2bearyou

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:51 AM

5'1 and 112lbs?
I dont consider that skinny..
Probably normal?

I think its just our genes
Im chinese, born and raised in US
But Im still skinny
Even though I eat a crap load of meat and food in general, I dont gain weight
Just my genes I guess

#8 lonilonei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, I agree more on the genes factor. It may have been the diet of our past generations to start with, but it's really down to genes nowadays.

#9 mandrew

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

yeah asian girls r generally more skinny...... no complaints from me :)

It's probably because in america there's too much junk food. watch your calories.

#10 aisu_kuriimu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:56 AM

well i think its probably due to their diet, and also their definition of skinny is very differnt over there.. i think their standard weight/skinny weight is considered round 45kg, so thats around 100llbs.

#11 Someone1

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

No man you havent seen enough variety.

On a general level, most mainland females are skinny.
Malaysian chinese are fatter, what people in the western world would classfy "normal".

HK, is in between.

It is primarily to do with the diet, and the image. Westerners=more junk food. Mainlanders=less food, more image. HK other offshore=in between.

#12 -kaiyi-

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:03 AM

in china.. being extremely skinny is like being "in" and "hot." but i think they are overdoing it, they are too skinny and that can lead to problems later.. >.< its kinda freaky if u think about it...

#13 naroblas

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

as I said before in another topic, GENETICS.

most of the asian are ectomorph and have a high metabolism. They are naturally skinny and their metabolisms tend to burn fat naturally and very quickly unlike the fat children in America whose metabolism are very slow and thus allow them to gain weight quickly.

I think the asian girls should practice a sport in order to be like a top model proportionally speaking such as gymnastics, aerobics, dance or lift light weights regularly :)

#14 Andromeda18_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

The reason why you're seen as skinny in American is because the majority of people there are overweight. Your BMI is 21 which means your weight is perfectly normal for your height, you're not even underweight. However, in America most people are so fat they think people who are actually 'normal' are too thin. It's not that most girls in Asian countries are too skinny, it's the other way around, people in America are too fat! I'm 5'7'' and 115lbs and when I showed some photos of mine to some American friends they all thought I was really skinny, yet I'm only slightly underweight and completely healthy and even though there are also a lot of overweight people where I live no one would think of me as skinny. Yes, there are very thin women in Asian, like in HK, but many are actually normal or only slightly undeweight. Of course, a small bone structure also helps them look thin.

A person who's skinny is someone who's quite below the average weight range for her/his specific height.

naroblas, on Apr 23 2006 2 31 PM, said:

as I said before in another topic, GENETICS.

most of the asian are ectomorph and have a high metabolism. They are naturally skinny and their metabolisms tend to burn fat naturally and very quickly unlike the fat children in America whose metabolism are very slow and thus allow them to gain weight quickly.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. For one, the majority of people in America are not endomorphs, and I'm considering only the caucasian Americans, I'm not even talking about Americans from other ethnicities. Americans are fat, yes, but not because the majority are endomorphs but because they have terrible lifestyles. Caucasians come in all shapes and sizes and that includes body types. There's no such thing as a majority of any of the body types among caucasians/Americans. And when it comes to Asians, well, it's not that simple either.
Let's assume you're right and most Asians are indeed ectomorphs. Well, the truth is it's been proved that Asians have a higher proportion of body fat compared to Caucasians of the same age, gender and BMI. This is why the commonly used BMI ranges aren't appliable to people of Asian ethnicity. A 20 year old Asian female with a BMI of 21 will have more body fat than a 20 year old caucasian female with the same BMI. You can read all about it here: http://www.hpb.gov.sg/hpb/default.asp?TEMP...RARY_TEMPLATE=2
What this means is that even if Asians are ectomorphs they're not exactly 'naturally skinny' either. People in Asian simply have much healthier lifestyles than people in America.

#15 amzii

Keep Smilin'!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:50 AM

RAMPAGING_ORK!!!, on Apr 19 2006 5 30 PM, said:

I think it is just genes.

We are all human but we are all different breeds of human. Just like a bulldog is not as sleek as a greyhound, different breeds of humans have certain predominante charactersitics over other breeds of humans. I think its just genes, and you cant say its diet because chinese people eat a lot of meat and they are still small skinny people.

i disagree, i used to be really skinny when i lived in hongkong, and then when i came over to australia in year 2, i started fattening up. its cos in australia and america and all that, we have more healthier food... our systems arent polluted, we get all our nutrients. in hong kong, well i remember i used to eat lots and lots of lollies and nothing that really filled me up. and the fruit is so expensive over there and everything is so contaminated.

ipigS2bearyou, on Apr 20 2006 11 51 AM, said:

5'1 and 112lbs?
I dont consider that skinny..
Probably normal?

I think its just our genes
Im chinese, born and raised in US
But Im still skinny
Even though I eat a crap load of meat and food in general, I dont gain weight
Just my genes I guess

its probably because you have a fast metabolism

#16 ankh_mm

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Skinny, to me anyway, implies undernourished. The more appropriate term is slender. Asian women seem "petite" even if they are tall. It seems to be genetic and bone structure. One can be fat and still have small bones. Maybe the diet helps them maintain their slenderness. I hope they don't worry about their appearance, they're really feminine the way they are.

• Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:36 AM

I think in Asia the media portrays a good body as skinny. Some of my friends are international exchange students from HK and they are obsessed with being skinny.

#18 mystical_viet_angel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

we're just toooo good in lookin after our figures...then again we are petite and smaller then europeans.
plus our diet is more rice fish meat and veges and not pasta and greasy food

#19 nicole250

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

it's probably what they eat
i used to live in a white and asian town. there, being grossly skinny was pretty (when i say grossly skinny to me that means no bottom at all, a really skinny waist, and their thighs don't touch).
now i live in a mostly mexican and black town. actually HAVING some meat is considered pretty. even the asians here look more developed and healthy than where i used to live.
so i don't Americans are fat at all, they're just healthy (and i mean the average American, not too skinny, not too fat).
maybe where some of you guys live, being really small and skinny is pretty, just not so much in America.
i really don't find asian figures pretty, only the curvy ones, but in general, skinny and no meat is just gross to me.

plz don't kill me for having an opinion

#20 litoxcici

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

yea i was in china over the summer too and i was trying on this shirt and the lady asked me if i wanted a large...and i usually wear smalls in america. i'm 5'1 n less than 110 lbs so imagine my shock when the sales lady asked me that question. i dont know if i should get mad or just laugh. but all my cousin in china/hk are skinnier than me. none of them even reach 3 digits on the scale. but than again we eat fast food more than they do so i guess it makes sense we weigh more.

#21 destined_to_be

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

i dont exactly know what skinny is cuz i think i'm totally overweight, but everyone around me thinks i'm average and some of my friends who i think is skinny think theyr'e not. however i do agree that ppl in china and hk are really petite. i think the main reason of this is their lifestyle. majority of the ppl their dont own a car, therefore walking and busing is their main transportation, while here in north america, most ppl own a car. and their weather their is really warm and humid, so it makes them sweat more and they try not to use ac there since ac there is quite expensive.

#22 ishtar_duzell

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

on the weight average asians weight less than most developed countries, because of their diet and their way of living. they don't have the high fat concentrated food in their diet...what is most important is that they walk everywhere and they do hard labor work while we americans eat, sit, watch tv, and ride the car everywhere. i went to China last summer and we had to walk everywhere...so basically whatever you eat you walk it off. Also since its so hot and humid in asia, you tend to lose fat content in your body...that's why people do saunas. when i was in China with my friend's family everyday...all we did was wake up, eat, go out but in like a couple of hours we were hungry again because we had to wake like a mile to the place we wanted to visit...my friend and i lost weight after coming back from China

#23 Beckalee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:20 PM

I'm slightly over average in HK because I'm average in UK. It can so depressing sometimes because everyone is so skinny. But half of them are so skinny, they have long faces and hollow faces which make me think of a horse. My grandma bugs me about eating less when I don't even eat that much! I'm just not born skinny.

Edited by Beckalee, 02 May 2006 - 04:21 PM.

#24 chenny

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:15 PM

well the girls in china are getting bigger mctitties because their diets are changing so i think the food we eat does have some major influences on the growth of our bodies

#25 arn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

what food they're surrounded with...maybe its sumthin to do wit the azn gene *shrugs*

#26 crazychococat

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

I think people usually describe a person "skinny" with comparison to other people rather than looking at it in a scientific way (i.e. by means of the BMI calculation). I think there are lots of factors which can affect a persons body weight such as: genes, ethnic minority group, the environment they grow up and as well as diet (as in the type of food ppl eat).

#27 Cloudy_yvi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

I have a cousin leaving in Mainland China.
She is quite thin : like 1,65cm for 45kg
She told me that she wanted to have a diet because compared to her roommates, she was fatter. She's heavier than the average chinese girl. I was like o__O
But it's greatly understandable when you know that some well-known star like Jolin waited once 32kg, as much as some 10 years-old child, because she was uneased with her body and image.
Well you could have said the same for Japanese people, but it seems that Japanese girls are still fatter. Maybe it's due to industrualisation and development levels. Japan is pretty much influenced my occidental culture and food and offers a comfortable life.

However chinese people can get fat if they eat a lot : they just don't amass fat at the same place + their bone structure really must be thinner.
I have some other cousin whose weight is 55kg for 1,60m : she really looks thin (especially dressed). And i don't understand where she's putting that excessive fat. :unsure:

#28 white_snowflake

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

The most horrible thing is being called Fat when you go to Hong Kong or China. Me and my friend has experienced this before actually. We considered the "right, healthy weight" but when we got to China and Hong Kong their like "your so fat" :O

But I think...it does have something to do with your diet. I mean look at the american people. They have high energy foods there....making a lot of those people tall and fit. Well...if you eat the right foods. :P

#29 redleaf

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

Sometimes the weight is not into fat, but... bones :)
I think the fat or not thing is just about culture...

#30 mandrew

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:00 AM

m3moriezr4ever, on Apr 22 2006 10 03 PM, said:

in china.. being extremely skinny is like being "in" and "hot." but i think they are overdoing it, they are too skinny and that can lead to problems later.. >.< its kinda freaky if u think about it...

iono, as long as they are naturally skinny instead of anorexic than thats fine. I love skinny girls :) Like Ally-McBeal skinny.

#31 dettol

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

Corgan84, on Apr 20 2006 12 38 AM, said:

i think it is diet and lifestyle

people from china doesn't have fully nutritional meals all the time.

partial agree with u but i think genetic factor is the main consderation

Chinese in china eat RICE which is carbohydrate compare to western that eats mostly meat. i went to china day that and i cant even finish half of their rice. Then, there are also report saying there have been increase of chinese over-weight in the recent years especially in the urban area. Thanks to fast food and junk food.

I'm a Malaysian chinese and considered average size- healthy and normal accroding to scale but for the trend, i'm fat. Asians like skinny bodies. Like those of Jeon Ji-Hyun being the most ideal one. Body that looks like a stick.

The most skinny Asian girl will be those in Vietnam. I dont think there are any fat people in Vietnam.

#32 qing85

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Take de BMI test!!
I think at US have too many fat/obese ppl so they is normal,while u weight less than them,then u is skinny^^

#33 Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

dettol, on May 8 2006 8 52 AM, said:

partial agree with u but i think genetic factor is the main consderation

Chinese in china eat RICE which is carbohydrate compare to western that eats mostly meat. i went to china day that and i cant even finish half of their rice. Then, there are also report saying there have been increase of chinese over-weight in the recent years especially in the urban area. Thanks to fast food and junk food.

I'm a Malaysian chinese and considered average size- healthy and normal accroding to scale but for the trend, i'm fat. Asians like skinny bodies. Like those of Jeon Ji-Hyun being the most ideal one. Body that looks like a stick.

The most skinny Asian girl will be those in Vietnam. I dont think there are any fat people in Vietnam.

Genetics is a part, but certainly not much. Everyone can become very thin of thick, just take the extreme cases if needed. You can't replace meat for rice, it's because of the other main dishes like potatoes, pasta and other wheat products like bread (Meat and veggies aren't maindishes).

Rice contains less carbohydrates compared to pasta and if people aren't active enough, the carbohydrates (quick energie) will be converted in fat. And that's one reason why the Western people are fatter. In Asia the weather is hot, so you'll perspires a lot, which continuous consumes lots of energy taken from your food you eat. Because of that the body doesn't have time to convert in fat and if you add the sporting it would be too obvious how it will turn out. (They also eat less carbohydrates orient food)

Jeon Ji-Hyun looks good, but others aren't that bad as well, but in avarage I think most Asian girls are a bit too skinny, more meat around their waist wouldn't be bad....(Add it's probably more cute lol) =b

#34 shiningmonk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

Probly just a balance of genes, diet, lifestyles i guess some ppl maybe don't hav big appetites.

#35 cococreamz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

asian's have light bones and smaller frame size in general so would generally looke thinner and weigh lighter than caucasians or the same height and stuff???

its probably a mix of lifestyle, genes and individuals....

#36 xhing

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:45 PM

glk, on Apr 20 2006 9 46 AM, said:

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
112lb isnt skinny bro
dats 48-50kg im not sure about the weighting of lbs but its around there and with the height of 153cm or so dats consider fat n round.
my gf is 159 at 46kg n she calls herself fat

yea, dat aint skinny !!! 112lbs is abt 50kg !!! i'd definitely consider dat chubby/more on the plump side for ur height of 153cm !! if u'r reali 153cm, i feel dat u should be less than 40kg/90lbs...

im 158cm & i think i looked my best wen i was 40-42kg (92lbs) 2 years back, no flab but not skinny either...because i dont have the skinny "jeong ji-hyun" frame but i haf more of a petite curvy figure....altho a lot of my guy frens said i look better wen i was abt 43-44kg (last year).....my weight is currently yoyo-ing btw 45-46kg ! OMG !!!! 2 layers of flab on my tummy :lmao:

i dont reali subscribe to the BMI thingie....because i find those considered by doctors to haf a healthy weight look kinda heavy/chubby to me....& those with weight slightly lower than the normal weight actually look jz rite....slim but not too skinny....ofcourse toooo skinny is ugly....jz imagine hugging a bag of sticks & bones ! for the record, i think Ji-Hyun looks sexy but too skinny....flat all over...

Edited by xhing, 08 May 2006 - 02:48 PM.

#37 qtn2x

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

speaking of weight/diet...how come all the fitness magazines say if you want to lose weight, you have to cut the carb out of ur diet, eat more protein.... As far as I know, carb as in rice is the main thing that Asian ppl eat. We consume lots of carbs and yet, we still look skinny. Is it our metabolism is "trained" to burn carbs???

#38 Lady Nara

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:05 PM

It's the food. It's known that Asian food are commonly healthy food and meals usually contain healthy soup and such. =)

#39 hanabi*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

i think its to do with genetics and diet... and in you case i think it's the diet.

#40 i NO longer lurve Paris Hilton

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:59 PM

In my opinion, maybe its the differences of daily intake of food we take.

Americans take in more carbohidrates and fats food like steaks, sausages, cheese etc

while

Asians eat lighter food like vegetables and boiled soup.

Also, i think its the Asian culture that made Asian girls obsess with their weight which consequently cause over skinny bodies.

Look at how Asian women celeb starve themselves for skinny figures. This set a very bad example to the public.

American celeb are more to the curvy bod side. Most women celeb have curvy bod in Hollywood. Not all but most.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users