AF needs funding again

- - - - -

[Health] Shower after you eat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scortier_*

Guest_scortier_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:11 PM

I've heard that it's unhealthy to shower/take a bath after you eat. I'm curious. Can somebody explain to me why? I hear it has to do with your blood or something.

#2 Andromeda18_

Andromeda18_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm going to quote myself since I already explained this in another topic.

You shouldn't shower, bathe, or dive into the sea or swimming pools until about 2.5/3 hours have passed since your last meal. This happens because after you eat there's a greater blood flow to your digestive system. If you get into hot or cold water your body will react by diverting the blood flow to your skin and that will impair the digestive process causing an indigestion. Of course, this won't necessarily happen. If you shower in luke warm water the difference of temperature between your skin and the water won't be so great and therefore there'll be less blood flowing to your skin which in its turn won't interfere with the digestive process so much. I shower after eating often and never had any problems.

#3 cheryltan

cheryltan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

I've also heard that shower after meal will result in a big tummy. Wonder if that is true?

#4 Shuki-Chan

Shuki-Chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

I always finish my dinner .and take a shower after one hour .

#5 regal_aeros

regal_aeros

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:28 AM

eh... does that explain y my butt hurts when i pass motion?? i think so.. argh...

#6 iCanFly

iCanFly

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3142 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:32 AM

eh... does that explain y my butt hurts when i pass motion?? i think so.. argh...

might be the reason.
or it might just mean you don't have enough fibre in your diet.. or maybe not drinking enough water.. and your stools damn hard from all of the liquid being drawn from it?

#7 Andromeda18_

Andromeda18_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:35 AM

I always finish my dinner .and take a shower after one hour .

Like I said, it doesn't necessarily happen but it's a risk.

#8 envee

envee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:39 AM

hmm i dont shower until about 3 hours until after i eat jus a habit ^_^. when i was small i would shower after i ate though. nothing too bad happens ^_^. no big tummy or nothin =]

#9 Serena226

Serena226

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

i dont think its unhealthy but some asians say it gives a big belly. old wives tale if you ask me.

#10 semantic2

semantic2

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

i dunno, i try to shower after i eat or before i eat. never noticed a difference.

#11 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:37 AM

i heard that its bad also.i think it`s not really with the blood,but its w/ your digestive system.thats why i heard that it doesnt digest correctly if you take a shower rite after you eat.

#12 vicNchern

vicNchern

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

same here
tried shower before n after then alternately for few weeks just for fun
still da same

:D

#13 Pointell

Pointell

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

I've also heard that shower after meal will result in a big tummy. Wonder if that is true?

I've also heard this, and i'm not sure it is true either

#14 Shuki-Chan

Shuki-Chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:42 AM

I always shower after I have my dinner.

#15 tiny*

tiny*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:07 AM

it's because when your in the shower your digestive system isnt really working ~
therefore your stomach will get bigger
that's why parents say don't shower after you eat for about 2-3 hours

#16 tazzy

tazzy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:32 AM

I was told that you would get fat if you shower right after eat. Another person told me it's unhealty for my body that I should let the food digest and rest first before shower. But sometimes I just don't care and do it anyway.

#17 chimmykanga

chimmykanga

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:36 AM

i think it's just an old wife's tale that you shouldn't shower/bathe after you eat.

#18 yittz

yittz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:33 AM

It's best that people don't shower straight after dinner.

After dinner a large proportion of blood is diverted to the gastro-intestinal system to help digest and absorb the food. Showering causes vaso-dilation of the blood vessels in the periphery (ie the skin) to allow greater heat absorption from the hot water to the blood. So the competition of blood distribution means that their will be less than the desired flow of blood to the GI system for optimal digestion and absorption.

Some people will have indigestion, others may not exhibit the same signs - but it doesn't mean your food dig/abs is working as well as not having a shower.

So it's not an old-wife's tale. Sometimes traditional habits/sayings do have a reason, it's just they are not explained correctly.

#19 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

yeah mo mom told me that when you showe after your dinner you get a big belly? i thought it was j ust those old wives tales.. i dont know if i believe it but on the safe side i shower then eat

#20 usagi654

usagi654

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:25 AM

It's not an old wive's tale mainly becuz it's the way our body works. Digesting takes 10% of our daily energy and for one to take a shower can disrupt it making it harder. You also have water beating at you and your tummy which can be discomforting.

#21 TypeR

TypeR

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

my grandmother said that you could faint if you take a bath after you eat...i tested it, but i never faint...so i dont know if its true or not...

#22 angelic_soul

angelic_soul

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

I heard this theory that you'd get fat, but I do it anyways, because it became part of my unhealthy habbits. I have no idea why people are telling my this but yeah. So Now I just try to wait for like an hour or so before I take a shower or just eat after my shower.

#23 baybiC_7

baybiC_7

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

i have heard that showerin after eating isnt good but i never knew such detailed description of why not...thx for the explanation

#24 funnyXjoyce

funnyXjoyce

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:50 PM

i think it is better if you eat and rest/sit for like an hour or some time before you take a shower. so that you can let the food digest.

#25 Roscoe666

Roscoe666

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

I'm a doctor (I wear a white coat and work in a hospital) and I can guarantee that any discomfort from showering after a meal is psychological.

#26 Michelle:)

Michelle:)

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

I'm not sure if this is really true, but I really hope it isn't! Only because I shower immediately after eating like everynight....

#27 ♔LATTE♔

♔LATTE♔

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

I'm not really sure if it's true but my parents do tell me not to shower immediately after I eat. It's just that I never quite asked fof an explanation as to why--which I know now that I should probably ask if it comes up again since I'd really like to know the reason behind what they say.

#28 ^Lunamaria^

^Lunamaria^

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

I've heard that it's unhealthy to shower/take a bath after you eat. I'm curious. Can somebody explain to me why? I hear it has to do with your blood or something.

Honestly, I never heard it once and for all. I only heard something like that you are not allowed to take a shower if you're tired. That's what I heard from my parents.

#29 helenlee1019

helenlee1019

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

My parents always tell me that I shouldn't shower after eating but I don't know the reason behind it.
Out of habit I normally shower before we eat dinner at nite so there's no fighting.