Side effects of earphones.

9 replies to this topic

#1 AceOfHearts

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

A friend of mine pointed out to me that the earphones(when turned on) are two powerful magnets. If you put them on, the brain is sandwiched in the middle, sometimes for hours with the magnets "magnitizing" the brain. I just can't image this being good, especially over years.

I think everyone should be concerned and I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of side effects that could have that the companies aren't telling us?I really don't wanna have brain cancer or other problems when I am like 40. Thanks

#2 Lililasoh1

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

wow, that seems like a real big thing, i wonder if wnyone knows more aobut it, i would like to knowmore about it too..what kind of earphones are you talking about? like small ones you usually get with mp3-players or bigger ones?..maybe there isn't a difference?

Edited by Lililasoh1, 26 June 2006 - 07:49 PM.

#3 AceOfHearts

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

View PostLililasoh1, on Jun 26 2006 12 48 PM, said:

wow, that seems like a real big thing, i wonder if wnyone knows more aobut it, i would like to knowmore about it too..what kind of earphones are you talking about? like small ones you usually get with mp3-players or bigger ones?..maybe there isn't a difference?
I've tried a couple, big and small, they are all magnets. I think it's the electro magnet that creates sound in earphones.

#4 dragonfly69uk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:00 AM

well unfortunately, eletromagnetism is something in life (especially modern life) we all have to suffer to some degree, wihout giving a lecture in physics, eletromagnetism is in everyday thing, from the sun rays to your mobile phones, to microwave ovens, tv screen, computer equipments. luckily we are not pigeons, we dont depend on eletromagnetism to navigate so i think you are pretty safe wearing 2 huge magnets on either side of your head.

#5 shinbird

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

use bluetooth then :P .. but every pros sure have to compensate with some cons.. thats life.. nothing is perfect..

#6 wt8008

Love y0zza 4 life

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:15 AM

hm... I'm not sure how powerful the magnets are, you can test by trying to see if any metal objects stick to it. I think you'll find that claim to be a big exaggurated.

#7 vOid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

Yes, there has been several documentations that says our generation are more likely to having hearing problems because of earphones. To prevent greater risk, take intervals of silent time to relax your ears instead of listening to music even when its really not needed and you are doing something else.

#8 ae86

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:08 AM

View PostvOid, on Jun 27 2006 10 41 PM, said:

Yes, there has been several documentations that says our generation are more likely to having hearing problems because of earphones. To prevent greater risk, take intervals of silent time to relax your ears instead of listening to music even when its really not needed and you are doing something else.

WTF? This was really random and unrelated to the OP's question. Hearing damage is a result of listening for something too loud for too long, not a result of magnetism.

If you are afraid of magnetism from your earphones, you'd better stay away from all types of phones. Your mobile phone puts out all kinds of radiation when your make a call. Your cordless phone will do similar things but with less power. Your corded telephone has a speaker with a maget on it. Bluetooth headsets aren't any better because they will still emit some type of radiation when it transmits.

The magnets in your earphones are always magnetized, not only when you play music through them. Some earphones use rare earth magnets which are much more powerful than regular ceramic magnets found in home speakers because they have more force with less weight.

You really cannot get away from EM as another poster already pointed out. Whether you are in the sun, or even just standing outside. If you stand outside long enough, you will receive enough EM radiation that can injure your, kill you, or cause you burn injuries...OK I'm talking about sunburns. Anyhow, you constantly being bombared by EM radiation from things like cell phone signals, TV and radio transmissions, etc. Earphones are probably the least of your worries as far a EM goes. You should be more worried about how loud you play them than about EM radiation from them.

#9 shinbird

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

EM contains radiation which caused harm if the quantity of exposure is too high.. i think thats y he want to bring up this issues..

#10 easton01

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:10 AM

EVERYTHING that produces sound has a small magnet, depends on how you use it. Don't wear it too loud or too long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users