What do Asians think of Indians?

176 replies to this topic

#1 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:14 AM

I've always wondered how Asians in general felt about Indians (South Asian kind, not the Native American kind). I asked my rents about how they felt about Asians and they told me that "they're the closest to us as far as family values go", they seemed to be pretty open to Asians in general. White people its hit or miss, my rents think the majority of them are too liberal (promiscuity, divorce are accepted and widely spread with whites)...black people, ugh, lets not go into that one.

So yeah, I was wondering how Asians (both youth and parents) view Indians in general.

#2 vOid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:15 AM

My parents don't think like that at all, they consider them like a different people. I guess they would kind of compare them to asians if you bring up white/black people, but if you just mention Indian alone, they still count them differently to my parents =\

#3 keepp

Respect All. Fear None.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:32 AM

I like curry, awesome food! as far as indians from india, I guess they are ok. I don't know any very well so I should probably not post anything, but I just had to say that I really like curry. curry chicken, curry beef, curry rice...

#4 Super Bokchoi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:34 AM

Well...Indians are Asians as they're in Asia along with China and the others. If you're asking how Chinese/Japanese/Korean people (for example) feel about Indians, I'd say most don't think there are many similarities between those cultures. In fact, there's a lot of cultural sharing in CJK-type communities as you can walk into a Korean supermarket for example, and find products from China and Japan as well, but hardly ever any products from India.

#5 teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:52 AM

They think you're dirty and you smell bad. Are lazy and stuck with meanial jobs like tech. support.

#6 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:16 AM

teddyc, on Jul 16 2006 5 52 AM, said:

They think you're dirty and you smell bad. Are lazy and stuck with meanial jobs like tech. support.

I was talking more about Indians outside of India, but thanks for the comments.

All Asians eat dogs, have slanty eyes and small penises right? I was just checking since you seem to be so knowledgeable about other races.

#7 glk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:33 AM

1st thing come 2 my mine about inidians is the smell in their house, n the smell within them
hahaha
n then there curry dot

#8 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

Teddy's statement would be the view of some white, black and East Asians living here in the U.K. Many Indians are successful here and own a lot of businesses this tends to piss some people off even more. On the other hand they are also viewed with suspicion by some people because of the terrorist activites
that having been going on here. More so now after the bombing at underground stations last year.

ZeeK, on Jul 16 2006 3 14 AM, said:

White people its hit or miss, my rents think the majority of them are too liberal (promiscuity, divorce are accepted and widely spread with whites)...
Divorce rates are on the rise all over the world and please don't tell me that there is no promiscuity
amongst Indians. I can also point to the disgusting caste system that exists in india and is widespread where the Dalites are put at the bottom of pile. All the Bollywood stars, models, have light skin any dark skinned actresses, models are no where to be seen. So every ethnic group has its negative.

ZeeK, on Jul 16 2006 3 14 AM, said:

black people, ugh, lets not go into that one.
No go ahead, lets go into that one, I want to see what kind of stuff your going to come out with.

Edited by jackkool, 16 July 2006 - 07:00 AM.

#9 ramil

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

in the phils., indians are well known about their small-scale business of selling household items and textiles in installment basis. usually in a motorcycle.

people tends to avoid them since there's a big possibility that you've availed some items from them and they're here to collect the payment. beware, here they come!

#10 kungfuKid001

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:41 AM

Well, I think there are cool Indians and stupid Indians.

#11 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

jackkool, on Jul 16 2006 6 58 AM, said:

Teddy's statement would be the view of some white, black and East Asians living here in the U.K. Many Indians are successful here and own a lot of businesses this tends to piss some people off even more. On the other hand they are also viewed with suspicion by some people because of the terrorist activites
that having been going on here. More so now after the bombing at underground stations last year.
Divorce rates are on the rise all over the world and please don't tell me that there is no promiscuity
amongst Indians. I can also point to the disgusting caste system that exists in india and is widespread where the Dalites are put at the bottom of pile. All the Bollywood stars, models, have light skin any dark skinned actresses, models are no where to be seen. So every ethnic group has its negative.

No go ahead, lets go into that one, I want to see what kind of stuff your going to come out with.

I know India has the disgusting caste system, I'm not Hindu and I don't agree with it.

The Black people comment was that my rents are pretty racist against black people, I sure as hell ain't...some of the best friends I've ever had were black.

I don't get why you're getting so defensive, all the stuff I mentioned in the first post is my parents views NOT MINE. I don't agree with their views for the most part, just relating it you all.

Edited by ZeeK, 16 July 2006 - 05:38 PM.

#12 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

ZeeK, on Jul 16 2006 5 33 PM, said:

I know India has the disgusting caste system, I'm not Hindu and I don't agree with it.

The Black people comment was that my rents are pretty racist against black people, I sure as hell ain't...some of the best friends I've ever had were black.

I don't get why you're getting so defensive, all the stuff I mentioned in the first post is my parents views NOT MINE. I don't agree with their views for the most part, just relating it you all.
Rents= parents I see
Fine, I thought they were your views thanks for clarifying.

#13 arora

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

Being South Indian myself I have found that the attitude (far) East Asians are varied. But mostly, they like our food, culture and entertainment rather than us as people. They have stereotypes of us (eg. that we're all Hindu, only eat curry, wear Bindis etc.) and are usually suspicious of us. But this type of ignorance exists in all ethnic groups, so I don't want to single out far East Asians. Once they get to know us and realize how wrong stereotypes of us are, they usually enjoy our complany. As far as inter-racial relationships go, I've noticed that they're as close-minded as most Indians are. That's from my personal experience and I'm not trying to generalize about all Asians.

#14 linkadink

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:26 AM

I like curry too!!! And Bollywood is cool :)
I think Indians are smart. They are so hard-working, and are very strict.
They hardly ever slack off, and very straightforward.
I don't mean this as a generalization though, since I've only know about six or so Indians my whole life.

#15 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

Ok you don't mean it as a generalization, but it IS a generalization.

Edited by jackkool, 18 July 2006 - 05:28 PM.

#16 imlookingatyou

Underwear Dancer

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:52 AM

I dont know.
Like even though India is in Asia. I dont call Indians Asian, I just have to call them "Indians" for some reason. Its just like the Middle Easterners, You have to call them Middle Easterners, even though geographically, they're in Asia.

#17 koreano

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:36 AM

most korean parents are racist ppl. my rents are for SURE. basically they dont like them but they dont hate them either. but im sure every race has these racist opinions.

#18 Kenway

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

I think i have no problem with those indians fren around me ... some of them are really nice but i hav many bad experience with Indians .....

#19 GhstDreamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

I know a number of people of Indian descent where I live - most are nice (I mean this in a very general way since I don't know that many people extremely well). Then there are those who aren't so nice and downright rude - but seriously, that's with everyone in every race.

I don't really like Bollywood movies (just like I don't like Korean dramas) or listen to Indian music but I respect it - I just prefer not to listen or watch them. However, Indian food is one of my favourite ethnic foods...

#20 azndgn26

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

When the word "Indian" comes to mind, I think about the "weird" smell they carry on themselves and the smell within their house. no offense but I don't like the smell and most ppl I noe would call them "odor" or say that they don't shower much. Another thing that comes to mind is "taxi" but seriously, u get in a cab and 95% of the time the driver is Indian. They have poor english and usually talk on the phone while driving (when it is against the law). Indians are a part of Asia but I don't really include them in the word "Asian" because I refer "Asians" as Oriental ppl who are from Asia such as Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. I don't really like Indians in general but I have a few friends who are Indian and I'm cool wit them.

#21 xvi3txl0v1ngx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

if you are talking about the Indians living in North America or anywhere else beside India, i can tell you that they are just fine. their house might not be the best smelling house in the neighbourhood(i can guarantee you that since my neighbourhood is practically all Indian). but they are very nice, nothing wrong with them, just like every other family. though they have big big families and some of them are very rich.

#22 siChu

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

from growing up in north america i think ive been taught to ... not make fun but find humor in their accent and sterotype as 7/11 clerk but ive recently found a lot of hot indian woman

#23 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:18 PM

azndgn26, on Jul 20 2006 6 18 PM, said:

When the word "Indian" comes to mind, I think about the "weird" smell they carry on themselves and the smell within their house. no offense but I don't like the smell and most ppl I noe would call them "odor" or say that they don't shower much. Another thing that comes to mind is "taxi" but seriously, u get in a cab and 95% of the time the driver is Indian. They have poor english and usually talk on the phone while driving (when it is against the law). Indians are a part of Asia but I don't really include them in the word "Asian" because I refer "Asians" as Oriental ppl who are from Asia such as Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. I don't really like Indians in general but I have a few friends who are Indian and I'm cool wit them.

A lot of Indian people do carry a curry funk around with them and their houses reek, I've tried to get to the bottom of that but to no avail. I just don't get it, I eat Indian food all the time but I don't reek of it and my house doesn't smell of it either.

#24 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

If there is any weird smell then it probably comes form not washing much and the house not being clean. There are a lot of indians who don't have bad odour.

#25 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:35 PM

jackkool, on Jul 20 2006 11 16 PM, said:

If there is any weird smell then it probably comes form not washing much and the house not being clean. There are a lot of indians who don't have bad odour.

Yeah like me for one. Its disgusting though when I can smell an Indian guy from a mile away, gives my race a bad name :/

#26 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:02 AM

ZeeK, on Jul 20 2006 11 35 PM, said:

Yeah like me for one. Its disgusting though when I can smell an Indian guy from a mile away, gives my race a bad name :/
But to be honest there are plenty of black, white, chinese, korean or from what ever ethnic group that
smell. Its just that people from the indian subcontinent happen to have this smell stereotype associated with them.

#27 Explorer

I am numbnut of the highest order

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

Most Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese feel that the culture and ancestry of India is distinct from their own. However, it is clear that southeast Asia has been influenced by India.

Also, I do have a question for the poster. I also noticed that all of the Bollywood stars are light skinned. However, the vast majority of Indians are dark skinned. Is dark skin considered that unattractive in India?

#28 queen_of_procrastination

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:27 AM

good question. dark skinned is considered unattractive in many cultures, especially the Dominican culture. they want to "lighten the race".

#29 teddyc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:35 AM

ZeeK, on Jul 16 2006 12 16 AM, said:

I was talking more about Indians outside of India, but thanks for the comments.

All Asians eat dogs, have slanty eyes and small penises right? I was just checking since you seem to be so knowledgeable about other races.

You asked what some Asians thought about Indian's from India, well that's how some think of them. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but the facts of reality aren't always pleasing to the ear. Some people really think like that.

It doesn't bother me if you think all Asians eat dogs, are slant eyed, and have small dicks. It just makes you look stupid because it has been proven otherwise.

#30 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:45 AM

teddyc, on Jul 21 2006 2 35 AM, said:

You asked what some Asians thought about Indian's from India, well that's how some think of them. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but the facts of reality aren't always pleasing to the ear. Some people really think like that.

It doesn't bother me if you think all Asians eat dogs, are slant eyed, and have small dicks. It just makes you look stupid because it has been proven otherwise.

And your b*llsh*t sterotypes have been proven flase as well. At least what I typed was in jest, you were being serious.

#31 kungfuKid001

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:50 AM

the indian people who do have special odor have a really special odor. it's just so funky.
ever hear the term "you are what you eat."? it's proven that what you eat affects your body odor so this leads me to believe that there diet makes indians who are clean still smell odd. cause there's obviously a difference from being dirty and smelling weird.

#32 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:57 AM

kungfuKid001, on Jul 21 2006 2 50 AM, said:

the indian people who do have special odor have a really special odor. it's just so funky.
ever hear the term "you are what you eat."? it's proven that what you eat affects your body odor so this leads me to believe that there diet makes indians who are clean still smell odd. cause there's obviously a difference from being dirty and smelling weird.

Nah, in my experience it has more to do with the odour in the house that sticks onto clothes. I've been to family friend houses that stink of Indian food, I leave the place and all of my clothes smell like the food.

I eat plenty of Indian food and it doesn't affect BO imo.

#33 linkadink

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:38 AM

Nah, in my experience it has more to do with the odour in the house that sticks onto clothes. I've been to family friend houses that stink of Indian food, I leave the place and all of my clothes smell like the food.

I eat plenty of Indian food and it doesn't affect BO imo.

AGREED.
I always smell like food when I walk outside.
Fried tofu, soy sauce, pho, you name it.
Whenever I walk into a room, someone would ask, "Why do I smell food?"

But I don't understand the "Indian smell funny" stereotype though, I don't find anything unusual with their smell... or is it just me?

#34 Guyver28

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:42 AM

India is sperate into North & South India if u want to differniate the white & black Indians.

Those u saw on Bollywood r usually the North/white Indians. North Indians r say to have mixed blood with the Middle East & Persia countries. North Indians r also say to be richer.

Actually Indians r lovely ppl. They r nice but some times with a hot temper. They r also smart & hardworking too.

:P

#35 jive

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

many doesn't like em'

Quite racist, but the latest generation kinda accepts them better.

#36 dollette

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

hahha..i used to think im against indians...but when i really do meet an indian person, i usually treat them nicely and i dont discriminate against them..i think most asians would be friends with indians but not get into a romantic entanglement with them.. at least..i wouldnt hahaha.. [: kinda mean i know..but i just cant feel for them..

lovelovee [:

#37 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:46 AM

dollette, on Jul 25 2006 6 14 AM, said:

hahha..i used to think im against indians...but when i really do meet an indian person, i usually treat them nicely and i dont discriminate against them..i think most asians would be friends with indians but not get into a romantic entanglement with them.. at least..i wouldnt hahaha.. [: kinda mean i know..but i just cant feel for them..

lovelovee [:
There is always a reason for our feelings. Do you think that you are still against Indians and thar
feeling is buried deep within yourself? Why wouldn't most Asians get into a romantic entanglement
with them?

#38 kingfencer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

i don't count them as asians, but they do. but when someone makes fun of asians, they say they aren' asian... geesh...

#39 ZeeK

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

dollette, on Jul 25 2006 6 14 AM, said:

lovelovee [:

You're from Singapore? That probably explains it. My Uncle lives in Singapore and he always tells me that there's some issues between Asian and Indians there.

#40 SweetObsession

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

I don't mind Indians. A few of my close friends are Indian! No offense but Indians seem different than other Asians so it's seems kinda weird for me to call them Asians..XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users