AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Chinese people don't brush their teeth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#1 lover

lover

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:19 AM

Dental problems afflict 80 percent of Chinese; most farmers never brush

Fri Jul 30, 9:25 AM ET  Add Health - AFP to My Yahoo!

SHANGHAI (AFP) - At least 80 percent of Chinese adults have dental problems and 57 percent of rural Chinese -- or 500 million people -- have never brushed their teeth.

Experts from the National Leading Group for Dental Disease Prevention -- which launched a nationwide dental health campaign -- found that only 0.22 percent of China's adult population have good dental health, the Xinhua state news agency reported the group as saying Friday.

Statistics from a recent survey in Beijing also show that dental problems are a major threat to the health of elderly Chinese, as one fifth of senior citizens have never seen a dentist in their life, Xinhua said.

Over 60 percent of the people surveyed regarded loosing teeth tooth as only natural.

Meanwhile, less than two percent of Chinese adults go for routine checkups and teeth cleaning, Feng Xiping, who heads the committee for the study of epidemic dental diseases under the National Leading Group, announced in Shanghai Friday.

The group's nationwide dental health care campaign will provide free dental checkups for 120,000 citizens in 12 large and medium-sized cities, including Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai and Guangzhou.

The campaign was launched in June and will last for three months.

haha have a read, 1/2 a billion people have never brushed their teeth..

wow....

#2 Illusionz

Illusionz

-Wishful Thinking-

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:48 AM

omg that is so digusting! Don't their breath stink? :blink: Do they just rinse their mouth with tea or something?

#3 madcowny

madcowny

Homicidal psycho jungle cat

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:55 PM

How did people keep their teeth clean before the toothbrush was invented? I suppose these people in China just kept on using whatever method their forebears used.

#4 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:19 AM

Dental problems aren't caused solely by the lack of brushing teeth. there are other factors such as pollution in the water in china which may lead to decaying teeth.

#5 lil_cute_hamster

lil_cute_hamster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:14 AM

yar i agree... i mean, did they check if their house had tooth brushes or something? but i must say i am surprised, cause my parents always have to check if i've brushed my teeth b4 i go to bed. (I also brush my teeth in the morning) But i guess everyone's different....

#6 Cupes

Cupes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

omg that is so digusting! Don't their breath stink? :blink:  Do they just rinse their mouth with tea or something?

Yeh, that's what I heard Mao Zedong did.

I guess it depends alot on the diet, whne you eat rice and vegetables as staples and don't eat that much sweets, junk food etc if at all there is less inclination to brush.

#7 babyshellabell

babyshellabell

wonton's gurl

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:51 PM

that is so weird, doesn't it bother them of that their teeth are all covered with plaque or whatevers, sick........

#8 Endless

Endless

i'm crazy

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

maybe they dont have toothpaste and a brush
poor people dont..

#9 maymoo

maymoo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

No shiet, YOU try keeping everyone financially secure in a country that makes up most of the population on earth.

#10 OoOo its emmy

OoOo its emmy

jackkool's wonderful niece

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:06 AM

i brush my teeth every morning but not alot at night time because im too lazy but i do once in awhile wen i feel like it.But definetly in the morning i do i fee cleaner and fresher that way.

#11 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:52 AM

the first tooth brush is invented by the chinese. it was made from boar/pig hair and is used by the rich.

as for tooth decay, (i volunteer at a seniors home as a translater in canada and for those who do have tooth decay they all go to china for their "fixes")

I believe most dentist in rural china is not a registered business leading to this unconventional survey.

Hope this survey is not true.

do remember now most retired citizens in mainland china recieves less than 600 yuen/reminbie pension. They can barely survive let alone going to the dentist.

#12 bella

bella

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:36 AM

its not just chinese people! a lot of people all over the world don't brush their teeth. when you're poor and worry about having enough food to eat and stuch, dental hygiene isn't a top priority. people in rural places or 3rd world countries can't afford to buy toothbrushes and stuff on a regular basis.

#13 misspinky

misspinky

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:58 PM

im sure its not just chinese but its still disgusting. wow their breath stink or something eww

#14 iangelsmiliei

iangelsmiliei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:43 AM

that's just nasty!!! I recently went to China and I just didn't understand why people as young as 20, if not younger have rotten teeth. Some of em....their teeth are BLACK! Gross!

#15 tinystar

tinystar

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4314 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 05:06 AM

I feel disgusted after reading this article! China is poor!

Poor? i don't think so! look at Africa they are begging the rich country for foods they are freaking poor and North Korea too. Has china asked for foods another rich country? no.

Edited by tinystar, 19 September 2004 - 05:08 AM.

#16 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:58 AM

yea... maybe the survey doesn't represent the whole china...
china is so big... think easy to get all the ppl to participate

#17 shopaholic

shopaholic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:35 AM

:shock ewww... but then there's lots of people who are uneducated and then there are those who are too poor for it. in addition there's a lot of people who smoke in China... hence the black teeth. so i guess itz not that unimaginable.

#18 BlazinBlade

BlazinBlade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:28 PM

its not really a thing to laugh at..these rural farmers are so poor that they don't know about personal hygiene..a sad thing really..

#19 LittleYawn2

LittleYawn2

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

Poor? i don't think so! look at Africa they are begging the rich country for foods they are freaking poor and North Korea too. Has china asked for foods another rich country? no.

Just because they don't ask for money or aid doesn't mean that they don't have money problems. Maybe they have some pride?

#20 Flabby*

Flabby*

"Iron" Mike Tyson

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:27 AM

hey im not poor. im educated

and i don't brush my teeth :D muwhahahaha

#21 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:12 PM

i'm suprised that got chinese that didn't brush their teeth before?hi,flabby!!!!u don't brush ur teeth?lol!!!u're kidding right?i know it!

#22 Flabby*

Flabby*

"Iron" Mike Tyson

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

i brushed them last night, but sometimes i just cannot be bothered lol :D

#23 lostandc0nfused

lostandc0nfused

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

hey im not poor. im educated

and i don't brush my teeth :D muwhahahaha

LOL @ flabby*

Doesn't matter if you brush your teeth or not. Some ppl have bad breathe even if they brush regularly and mouth wash. I heard that bad breathe can also originate from what has been in your stomach.

#24 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:06 AM

so u're not brushing everyday?i only brush my twice a day!!!!tolazy to brush 3,4 times day!!!ic!!!so bad breathe came from what u eat?

#25 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:31 AM

Like others have said its not just Chinese people. This surely goes on in other parts of the world as well.
Its in the billions we are speaking of, so I highly doubt the statistics.

#26 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:28 AM

Pity the dentist there, cos they don't believe in visiting a dentist.

We are being told to see detist twice in a year, smokers are advised to see dentist once in every 3 months.

Did u guys visit dentist twice in a year?

#27 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:03 AM

yea i visit the dentis twice a year for teeth cleaning but i brush my teeth everyday ^_^

#28 Hanna

Hanna

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:39 AM

You got be kidding, according to the reserch the whole China is yellow teeth county?? Or I should say stink country.

Edited by Hanna, 26 September 2004 - 05:41 AM.

#29 ignitionMX

ignitionMX

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:12 AM

Think about time. You think they have time to brush their teeth when the day starts? They have to make money for the family, not wasting it on tooth brushes and tooth paste.

It's all about money.

#30 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:54 PM

some of you act like you're better than these chinese ppl who have black teeth....NO YOU'RE NOT BETTER JUST BECAUSE YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH. you're simply more fortunate to grow up in a country where dental hygiene is affordable. and yes CHINA is poor, but do you realize 92% of the world live under the poverty line. china is actually quite wealthy compared to most of the earth....something to think about....dont' be stuck up lil american brats.

#31 dyselo

dyselo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:47 PM

It's probably true..I've seen footages from relatives from visited rural China, and most people look really haggard for their age, skin, teeth, everything. You can tell they live a hard life there.

#32 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 11:01 PM

I've been to China, and aside from those who live in the city, the standard of living in the countryside or right outside the cities is very low. Houses are made of heavily packed straw and soil in which having bricks is an upgrade. Plumbing is almost non-existent. The purchase of a toothbrush and toothpaste is probably not very high on their list of priorities or essentials.

#33 zuagyang

zuagyang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:56 AM

Gross! I'm majoring in dentistry and I've smelt some of the worst breaths ever but now I think the worst is yet to be sniffed.

#34 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:17 PM

wrong...brushing will not get your girls/boys...but NOT brushing will definitely send you to the monastery....at least there they only eat vegetables so your breath won't be as bad

#35 ippy327

ippy327

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

I always knew that Chinese people living in rural area tend to have yellow and crooked teeth because no one ever visits the dentist and they smoke non stop......but I didn't know it was this bad....yuck!!

#36 nssoso

nssoso

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:29 AM

oh my god! i understood now why some chinese people have a little smell in their mouses and a lot of them have yellow teeth! but it is comprehensible because in the past, in china, people use some plants to brush their teeth and toothpaste appears really recently!

#37 goldhill

goldhill

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Poor? I agree with tinystar. China is mantaining 9% GDP and they are one of the fastest growing economy in the world and I can see China is or will be one of the poorest country in the world.

Culture is playing the major role in this "non brushing tooth" pendemic.

#38 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

lol is that true ?

Btw i don't brush my teeth in the morning (i just brush them in the evening before sleeping)

#39 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

i've seen lots of ppl from china with greyish teeth... even ppl from the cities... my mum's got a friend from shanghai who moved to aussie 30 yrs ago... she doesn't smoke and she brushes her teeth, but her teeth remains greyish.... i think it's got something to do with the quality of the water or maybe the chinese medicine they take??

#40 Steve120

Steve120

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

Yes, please don't be ranting on those that don't brush their teeth such as farmers....they don't because they don't know they need to. It'd be unfair to judge them just for not knowing how to.

Let's not be snobby now. =)