AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

[Health] Is sunscreen with high SPF bad for you?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aznb0i

Aznb0i

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:27 AM

Today i bought a sunscreen with a SPF of 50 and i was wondering is applying spf so high bad for you when it isnt really that hot/sunny? I myself is kinda tanned so i didnt wanna risk buying a spf that is too low.

#2 pine

pine

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:37 AM

well, spf stands for sunprotection factor, and supposedly if you burn after like 10 minutes and you use SPF 50 sunscreen, they u'd burn after 500 m inutes. The spf level, the higher, suppposedly the more protection you are supposed to get from UVA and UVB rays.
But tehre was a study that said the higher the spf the less UVA protection it provides. So depending where you are, there might be associations with regulations that have "30+" on the bottle instead of any spf level over 30.

hmm, most of that and more is on wiki. http://en.wikipedia....otection_factor
~hope that helps

oo, i dont think it really matters if you are already tanned or not, or dark skinned to start with, you should use sunscreen. not just to prevent tans (sunblocks) but filter those rays, to prevent cancer. I guess unless the person is caucasian, because they'd burn easily.

and just dont forget to apply it i think 10-15minutes before u get into the sun. and i guess just stick with teh hats, sunglasses, and appropriate clothing if you can.

...hope that helps! and if im wrong.. sorry..but stay sun smart this summer !!

#3 aznboi1984

aznboi1984

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:45 AM

the oil in the sunscreen can clog your pores and give you pimples if your not careful the higher the spf the more oily it is...unless your using oilless sunscreen then that is fine...

#4 lost_butterfly

lost_butterfly

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

I don't think it will do you any harm- especially if u are going to be out in the sun for a long time- then it's best to use a lotion with a higher SPF.

#5 <3Shinya

<3Shinya

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:01 AM

i heard that too. i still don't know why

Ooh i found something:
"But there are also negative effects. Some people rely too much on the product and do not understand the limitations of the sun protection factor (SPF); they assume that buying anything over SPF 30 will automatically prevent them getting burnt no matter how long they can stay in the sun. Too much sunbathing is one of the major causes of skin cancer across the world."

#6 jadeforever

jadeforever

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1142 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:34 AM

higher spf should offer more protection against the sun. I read you should get spf lotions that offer both uva and uvb protection.

#7 joaniemaloney

joaniemaloney

blue&white forever <333

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1256 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

Wow, good thing you asked this question because I really didn't know much about SPF & sunblock before bumping into this thread. I'm going to check out the link on wikipedia. But I do use sunblock with SPF 45, so I have to check if that's appropriate.

#8 cutiebbangel

cutiebbangel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:35 AM

the higher the SPF the longer it will last under the sun

#9 hpratvfrk

hpratvfrk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:18 PM

Lol, my cousin's husband uses SPF 130.

I didn't even know it goes up that high.

#10 xcutie

xcutie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:25 AM

no, the higher the SPF, the more protection you have. i use SPF 70 sometimes. most good, brand names like Vichy, etc. have very high SPFs.

#11 Exiled

Exiled

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

The higher the SPF the longer it lasts. However, I've read that for the face, the lower SPF is generally recomended.

#12 aznhon

aznhon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

I heard that the higher spfs don't really work like you expect. Some say that it doesn't do much for you after spf 30?

#13 flowertree

flowertree

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

Hey I heard that sunscreem cause cancer, don't know if it's true or not...

I heard that the higher spfs don't really work like you expect. Some say that it doesn't do much for you after spf 30?

It's true?

Source: here

#14 **angel**

**angel**

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:14 AM

i heard that the higher the SPF the better the sunscreen is because it protects you more. i dont think it does you any harm so dont worry about it. go check with a pharmacist if you're still unsure because i always use sunscreen thats SPF 50 and nothing happend to me.

#15 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:23 AM

The higher the Sun Protection Factor [SPF] the better but the minimum should be 15 SPF. The sunblock is suppose to protect your skin from the ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun.

So what the the SPF actually mean? Like I said before, the higher the better. Theoretically, they are suppose to protect you for a longer duration of time. Let's say your skin endures the ultraviolet radiation for a specific duration. Let's say you use a sunblock lotion with the SPF of 50. Again, theorectically, it means it will protect your skin from being damaged for 50x as long. Understood? So SPF 30 = 30x longer, SPF 45 = 45x longer, etc. Remember, all this is theorectical. It is theoretical because many factors will affect the lotion's effect. Such as swimming, perspiration (sweat), etc.

Edited by dannyyboii, 10 August 2006 - 03:25 AM.

#16 semantic2

semantic2

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

don't know don't care. i buy all spf 50 because you need it if you don't want to burn. i'm already tan enough as is. :)

#17 Sun Advocate

Sun Advocate

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

It's not necessarily the SPF factor, but the ingredients used to make the sunscreen itself. I normally stick with the higher spf ratings, such as Neutrogena Sheer spf85. I also read about organic sunscreen and I try to use them more often than the rest of the pack.

#18 katrie

katrie

Level 3 Elf Druid

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

The chemicals used in suncreens to achieve UVA and UVB blocking may themselves be damaging to the skin if they are used in too high a concentration. This is why there are maximum allowable concentrations for some of the ingredients.

SPF is a measurement system for how much UVB exposure you need before your skin burns; basically it's how well the suncreen blocks UVB rays. However, the amount of protection you get does NOT increase linearly with the SPF number. The difference between SPF 100 and SPF 50 is NOT double protection and it does NOT mean you can stay out in the sun twice as long.

SPF 15 blocks ~93% of UVB rays
SPF 30 blocks ~97%
SPF 50 blocks ~98%
SPF 100 blocks ~99%

Whatever the SPF is, you should reapply it regularly, like every 2 hours or so.

I would never recommend an SPF of higher than 50 unless the person is extremely photosensitive. It's just not necessary. For most people, 30-45 is just fine.

Edited by katrie, 19 July 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#19 Choco ~ Latte

Choco ~ Latte

AF Noob Translator

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26099 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Its not exactly bad for you but it can lead to some problems.
I use spf 100 on my face... but my face still tans in the sun. this is because i used to just apply it once on my face and go through my day. now i realize i have to keep applying it or else it will rub off and it will just absorb sun like normal.
so most people who use higher spf sunscreens tend to just apply once and be done
thats how u get burn and or cancer

#20 Guest_musicetime101_*

Guest_musicetime101_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:40 AM

Its not exactly bad for you but it can lead to some problems.
I use spf 100 on my face... but my face still tans in the sun. this is because i used to just apply it once on my face and go through my day. now i realize i have to keep applying it or else it will rub off and it will just absorb sun like normal.
so most people who use higher spf sunscreens tend to just apply once and be done
thats how u get burn and or cancer

i don't like higher spf sunscreens

#21 thina75

thina75

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

too high SPF is just a waste , if regular exposure SPF 30 is fine . SPF 50 for more exposure. It's not the higher , the better but you still need to re - apply regularly for it to work at it's best. so for SPF 50 up , if you don't re - apply during the day , you still don't get the best protection. Even inside lights ( fluorescent lights ) still give out UVA so need also sunscreen even if not going out in the sunlight , of course SPF 15 is already enough.

#22 riceguy

riceguy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

higher SPF is bad for u because of the chemicals used to make it that strong! its not about the sun!

the really strong SPFs have dangerous chemicals that may damage your skin and have been confirmed to cause cancer

http://www.healthhyp...ngredients.html

Here is a online sunscreen database that tells your the danger levels of sunscreens. the higher the SPF the higher the danger rating
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com