AF needs funding again

- - - - -

What's the physical differences between different Asians?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lyndsey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

Hey, as it says in my subject, I was wondering what the physical, mainly facial differences betwen the people of different Asian countries were (Japan, China, Korea etc).

I hope you don't think I'm stupid or ignorant or anything. It's just that I've seen other people saying how they think Korean guys are really good looking, or that Chinese men are mostly ugly (not my words!) and to me as an outsider, I find it hard to see big differences.

Incase you're wondering, I'm British Caucasian.

Anything you want to ask, please go ahead! I'm nice! :wasntme

Edited by Lyndsey, 31 July 2006 - 05:00 PM.

#2 solemnmite

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

Sometimes I can easily tell the difference and other times I can't. When I can tell the difference right away, I can't describe how I know (i.e. give a breakdown of which features this person does or doesn't have that led me to my conclusion). Rather, it's a feeling I get after taking in a person's entire look. Looking at characteristics such as a person's facial features, skintone, and styling (hair and clothing) can help you differentiate between different Asian ethnicities. Here are some things I've gathered on my own and heard from friends. Keep in mind that these are generalizations (some subjective) and don't apply to everyone:

- Koreans and Japanese tend to be fair skinned (this applies more to girls than to guys). They also tend to have more homogenous looks in comparison to Chinese.

- Japanese tend to be shorter while Koreans tend to be taller

- Korean guys tend to be buffer than Chinese and Japanese guys because they work out more

- Japanese guys are skinny

- Chinese have the most diverse look so they really can't be categorized. For example, Southern Chinese tend to be shorter and tanned whereas Northern Chinese tend to be taller. Although I have seen fair skinned Chinese, I've heard from other people that they don't associate Chinese people with being fair skinned. Perhaps this is due to Chinese having more diverse looks compared to Koreans and Japanese.

- Koreans tend to have smaller eyes due to the fact that a higher percentage of them naturally have single eyelids. However, the double eyelid procedure is extremely popular so you can't go on this factor alone when you're trying to determine if someone is Korean or not.

- Koreans tend to have flatter faces (e.g. when you look at them from a slight side angle, their cheekbones are not prominent). I haven't really noticed this on my own but this is what I've heard from a few friends. I actually think most Asians don't have prominent cheekbones anyway but I digress.

- Japanese eyes tend to slant upwards and Chinese eyes tend to slant downwards. (This is according to my friend and I'm not sure how valid this statement is.)

- Some Koreans have eyes that are shaped like upside down crescent moons. These become especially prominent when a person smiles. Although not all Koreans have these, I characterize them as Korean eyes because I haven't seen any Chinese or Japanese with similar eyes. A perfect example of a Korean with crescent eyes is Hyori Lee:

Posted Image

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of more later, I will add them.

Edited by solemnmite, 02 August 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#3 Lyndsey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

View Postsolemnmite, on Aug 1 2006 10 17 PM, said:

Sometimes I can easily tell the difference and other times I can't. When I can tell the difference right away, I can't describe how I know (i.e. give a breakdown of which features this person does or doesn't have that led me to my conclusion). Rather, it's a feeling I get after taking in a person's entire look. Looking at characteristics such as a person's facial features, skintone, and styling (hair and clothing) can help you differentiate between different Asian ethnicities. Here are some things I've gathered on my own and heard from friends. Keep in mind that these are generalizations (some subjective) and don't apply to everyone:

- Koreans and Japanese tend to be fair skinned (this applies more to girls than to guys). They also tend to have more homogenous looks in comparison to Chinese.

- Japanese tend to be shorter while Koreans tend to be taller

- Korean guys tend to be buffer than Chinese and Japanese guys because they work out more

- Japanese guys are skinny

- Chinese have the most diverse look so they really can't be categorized. For example, Southern Chinese tend to be shorter and tanned whereas Northern Chinese tend to be taller. Although I have seen fair skinned Chinese, I've heard from other people that they don't associate Chinese people with being fair skinned. Perhaps this is due to Chinese having more diverse looks compared to Koreans and Japanese.

- Koreans tend to have smaller eyes due to the fact that a higher percentage of them naturally have single eyelids. However, the double eyelid procedure is extremely popular so you can't go on this factor alone when you're trying to determine if someone is Korean or not.

- Koreans tend to have flatter faces (e.g. when you look at them from a slight side angle, their cheekbones are not prominent). I haven't really noticed this on my own but this is what I've heard from a few friends. I actually think most Asians don't have prominent cheekbones anyway but I digress.

- Japanese eyes tend to slant upwards and Chinese eyes tend to slant downwards. (This is according to my friend and I'm not sure how valid this statement is.)

- Some Koreans have eyes that are shaped like upside crescent moons. These become especially prominent when a person smiles. Although not all Koreans have these, I characterize them as Korean eyes because I haven't seen any Chinese or Japanese with similar eyes. A perfect example of a Korean with crescent eyes is Hyori Lee:

Posted Image

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of more later, I will add them.

I see what you mean about the crescent eye, it looks very prominent there, but in a good way!

Thanks very much for your input, you've hdefinitely elped me understand Asians better :) Thanks a lot!

#4 Tsunami

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

actually, i dont find that Hyori looks so much korean
i cant rly describe it she just seems different... :unsure:
like for example, Park han Byul, she looks more like the common korean girl
in my opinion anyways ^_^'

#5 diana©

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:36 PM

@ solemnmite

Hmmm... Interesting. You've really thought hard about it and observed. I do agree at some points. ^^

#6 PearledOrchid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

Here's what I noticed about Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Thai people and their features:

Japanese: For some reason they tend to have a high nose bridge, especially the guys so they look more western. Even my caucasian friends agreed with me.

Korean: The most prominent feature is their eyes because they tend to look more like what solemnmite said, "upside down crescent moon" eyes.

Chinese: They are the most diverse groups, as Chinese people came from many different tribes. Even my Chinese Literature/History professor believes that there is no such thing as "Chinese" other than the fact that they live in Chine or came from China. Anyway, there are some Chinese people who have fair skin, tanned skin, beige skin. Some are tall and some are short. Some have high nose bridge and some don't. Some have triple, double, or single eyelids. Some have big eyes and some have small eyes. Some have round eyes and some have almond-shaped eyes.

Thai: Many of the them look very western, or caucasian if you will. Many have big eyes with double eyelids. Their eye colors range in different shades of brown. You will see some people with really dark brown eyes and some with really light brown eyes, almost like light honey. The guys tend to have prominent jawlines like caucasians and the females tend to have prominent cheekbones. Many of them also have a high nose bridge.

Vietnamese: The prominent feature is their eyes. Both the guys and girls tend to have big, double eyelid eyes. Many of them also have a high nose bridge. But most vietnamese people tend to have tanned skin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users