AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Why are there NO ugly korean actors in korean shows?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 rachel-y

rachel-y

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

When watching korean shows I seem to notice that there are NO ugly korean actors in them. It's not that I'm complaining but it seems weird because all the actors are mostly good-looking e:c- Dennis O'Neil, Daniel Henney, Kwon Sang Woo, Hyun Bin,Won Bin,etc.......and even if they are not good-looking they still do not fall under the 'UGLY' category. Please let me know of any korean actors that you think are worth putting under the 'UGLY' category.

#2 solemnmite

solemnmite

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:17 PM

Well just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what's considered "ugly" is also in the eye of the beholder. I don't have anyone to add to the list you're trying to compile because if I do use the word "ugly," it's only to describe how someone is on the inside and not how someone looks on the outside. I also want to add that I am not physically attracted to most Korean guys. I can see why other people find them attractive, though. It's not that I find them unattractive. I just find most of them to be average. Then again, my taste is not conventional at all...

#3 kittycat6196

kittycat6196

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:36 AM

They would not put ugly actors in series if they want high ratings. Society places more emphasis in looks and it's pretty shallow that way. If you want to know an ugly actor, it is Ryu Seung Beom. Don't get me wrong since I like him as an actor but he is not pleasing to the eyes. :)

#4 wakeywakey

wakeywakey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

that questions just reminds me of why we dont have ugly actors and actresses in Hollywood movies..i think this is because it's not fun to watch. Movies and dramas are for fantasizing..watching something that you want ..you know..and its not real life..thats why everybody is so pretty....that also adds to what society expects of everyday ppl... these actors and actresses set an example for everyday ppl like us..esp. teenagers. right?

#5 rose06

rose06

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:55 AM

Haha who would want to watch kdrama with ugly actors. Its all about the look that makes you drool all over. Its entertainment only & hot guys just make you happy to watch. Its not real life just entertaiment.

Edited by rose2006, 10 August 2006 - 08:56 AM.

#6 evanie

evanie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

I have watched korean shows that have ugly korean actors..well I just can't stand their faces that's why i never finished those shows..

#7 mizz_J

mizz_J

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

Whenever i watch a drama, there has got to be a cute guy in it. And then when there's a pretty girl in it, i want the cute guy & girl to be together. If not, i wouldn't bother to like the drama, HOWEVER, i'm not like that all the time.

#8 Mabe

Mabe

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

hmm i seen a few lol!
but they say that in korea there are no good lookin guys because all the good lookin guys in korean have turned singer/actors lol!
i have a korean friend that said that 2 me b4.. also some of my non koreanfriends has said that 2!

#9 noue

noue

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

i think it's just the person whoi sees who's ugly and not . i beleve that they are all cute.

Edited by noue, 24 August 2006 - 10:42 PM.

#10 noir_mireille13

noir_mireille13

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

people r shallow so they tend to ignor actors who are ugly, which in turn, leads to low tv ratings... thus, the korean channels have to use only good looking stars if they want to make money

#11 angelgirl_giselle

angelgirl_giselle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

It depends on what ppl define as "ugly." Society by no doubt emphasizes on attractivness and clearly that's what the media desires to portray - the "ideal" look. Every Korean actor has their own unique way of presenting themselves and they're all cute in that way! Their acting skills further bring out their attractiveness as well! :iloveyou:

Edited by angelgirl_giselle, 28 August 2006 - 05:05 AM.

#12 kookee

kookee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

i can think of an ugly actor, but like all entertainment they like to find good looking actors, which works for me because i like watching them :D

#13 kimchispice27

kimchispice27

The Comeback! :)

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2846 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

well of course it's because no one would be interested in watching if they put ugly koreans as actors on a series, right? :D

#14 Love... HEROINE (Ricca)

Love... HEROINE (Ricca)

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

Who wants to watch a show with ugly people in it?

#15 cyclop

cyclop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:04 AM

because all korean actors are handsome:)

can't escaped that most korean actress and actors are pretty and handsome..
But do most of the had conduct a so called beauty surgery..
Read another post topic on plastic surgery..and u will find out more than now u do

#16 jacjacQ

jacjacQ

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:39 AM

i agree with cyclop......
there are a lot of korean actress and actors do plastic surgery before.....
but i like to watch korea drama.....

#17 Angelaaa

Angelaaa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:59 AM

hehe i dont even kno if this person is really a girl or a boy in real life...in rainbow romance she acts as a girl so yea..her name is kim shin young i think?? i wouldnt call her ugly or anything cuz thats just REALLY mean but shes not as good looking as the other actors/actresses on rainbow romance....but shin young is so funny on rainbow romance i miss her on rainbow romance =(

#18 rhyane16

rhyane16

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:59 AM

well...i think ders 2 dat dont i consider gudlukin k-actors...da guy from my sassy girl....! and also da guy from the vineyard man!....sorryy for da fans of 2 k-actors i mentioned!

Edited by rhyane16, 02 September 2006 - 06:00 AM.

#19 diopatra

diopatra

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:35 AM

not but there are some actresses that are plain looking. or maybe its just on the poerson who's looking.

examples are the lead actress in attic cut, lead actress in yellow hankerchief also the lead actress in a love to kill.

sorry buy i dont find them beautiful.

#20 LilPiggi3

LilPiggi3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:34 AM

Actually there ARE "ugly" actors in Kdramas, but it just depends on how you define ugly. Like that guy from My sassy Girl (Cha Tae Hyun), I don't find him all that attractive, but he CAN act, so I guess his talents make up for his looks :P. And that girl from Attic Cat, Jung Da Bin, I don't find her that pretty looking in the ENTIRE series. And have you see Goong? Those two girls who were ChaeGyung's friend...they did NOT look one bit attractive. There are def. some not good looking actors, but you don't notice them because they are not placed in front of the camera 24/7 because they are not the main lead.

examples are the lead actress in attic cut, lead actress in yellow hankerchief also the lead actress in a love to kill.

----^ Personally I think Shin Min Ah from A Love to Kill was decent-pretty looking, in some photos she looks stunning.

Edited by LilPiggi3, 04 September 2006 - 06:38 AM.

#21 iminsane_hero

iminsane_hero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

i think she is not sick. maybe she jus wondering y. i do agree wid her.

i think i found the reason y, i had read magazines they say

tat most korean actors/actress had gone for plastic surgery.

the magazines even compare their past looks n present looks.

#22 RomanticGal

RomanticGal

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

It is very obvious that the better looking ones or those who are telegenic who are the ones playing the lead roles. So we tend not to look at the plain Janes and plain guys lurking in the background. Like LilPiggi3 mentioned about the two girlfriends of CG in Goong, I definitely will not classify them as pretty, and the twin girlfriends of the lead girl in Sweet 18, they really look weird with their skinny long faces and tiny slitty eyes.

Many of the male leads are not good looking in my opinion but because of the romantic roles they play, being loving, caring blah blah blah, so one tends to overlook their plain looks too and go gaga over them. Very good example will be JJH of Goong, when I first saw him, I was like huh, how could they get such a skinny guy with tiny eyes (to me it is almost on the borderline of not-at-all-good-looking) to play the male lead?? But later on, because of the chemistry with YEH and his ability to act, I started to like him more and more and even find him looking good in his own unique way.

#23 oh karin

oh karin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

It is very obvious that the better looking ones or those who are telegenic who are the ones playing the lead roles. So we tend not to look at the plain Janes and plain guys lurking in the background. Like LilPiggi3 mentioned about the two girlfriends of CG in Goong, I definitely will not classify them as pretty, and the twin girlfriends of the lead girl in Sweet 18, they really look weird with their skinny long faces and tiny slitty eyes.

Many of the male leads are not good looking in my opinion but because of the romantic roles they play, being loving, caring blah blah blah, so one tends to overlook their plain looks too and go gaga over them. Very good example will be JJH of Goong, when I first saw him, I was like huh, how could they get such a skinny guy with tiny eyes (to me it is almost on the borderline of not-at-all-good-looking) to play the male lead?? But later on, because of the chemistry with YEH and his ability to act, I started to like him more and more and even find him looking good in his own unique way.

I totally agree with you on JJH. At first, he didn't attract my attention at all. It was KJH that attracted me. Then later on, I began to fall for JJH because of his acting and growing relationship with YEH. I like how he is so tall and lanky. :lol?: To be honest, I just think it's the style of the actor/actress that makes him/her beautiful or ugly. If they wear ugly clothes, then people won't notice their looks... but then again, there are beautiful people who look good in anything, even if they're wearing crappy clothes.

#24 rainysunday

rainysunday

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

i know this sounds shallow, but producers are less inclined to hire unattractive actors to star in their shows simply because their physical features would not appeal to the target audience. this is particularly true, in my opinion, for TV dramas, where the actors' skills are mediocre but are almost always physically attractive.

#25 su in lee

su in lee

101% Kim Tae-hee

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

Im not sure if I'm bringing in a point with what I m going to say..

For me there are actors who do not look that good compared to Hyun Bin, Kim Rae-won, etc.. Maybe what is talked about here are actors who play lead roles in shows. But the question, really, is generic. Why are there no ugly Korean actors in Korean shows?

I think there are some who do not possess such looks. It's too offending if we tell they are ugly. So it's better to say that there are actors who do not look that good compared to the "stereotyped handsome" actors.

#26 JumboJimmy

JumboJimmy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:44 AM

Its really true: who would want to watch a show with "ugly" people?

when i watched EndlessLove(Autumn tale), i find the actresses and actors beautiful and handsome. Even though the story-line was draggy, but those gorgeous looking actresses/actors made me want to watch right to the end.

When the sequel to this series came along, Winter Sonata, I was thrilled! But when I started to watched the first episode of Winter Sonata, I was kind of disappointed. The actress wasn't as beautiful as in Autumn tale, so i didn't get to finish that series.

Hong kong series are completely different. The female actresses are short, and the male actors are chubby...some are bald... some even have ugly teeth but still they are "popular". don't know why??? That's why i'm not much a fan of watching Hong kong series. Actually I do watch TVB series, but I don't buy the DVDs - because non of them are attractive. I only buy Korean drama DVDs because they have attractive people that I hope I could be like them or have them as my friend.

Edited by JumboJimmy, 06 November 2006 - 02:50 AM.

#27 t*star

t*star

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

i disagree that there are no ugly korean actors in korean shows..

but the people i think are ugly..other people may like them...so i'm not going to mention any names

but there are also many..not actually ugly..but *funny* looking actors in the not so main parts of the show! .

#28 Kayem

Kayem

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

So true, I would not waste my time watching a drama with ugly people unless the show is a masterpiece. A Millionaire's First Love, which is a mvoie by the way, was TERRIBLE, so cliche, I could go on and on, but the leads were just so beautiful that I wanted to watch the movie until the end...We sound incredibly shallow, but it's the truth and we can't help that. To make up for ugliness, actors/actresses usually have to be incredibly funny, or incredibly good actors. Compare veteran actors to newbie actors in terms of looks, they differ greatly. Actors back then were actually ACTORS to begin with, they actually went to schools for acting. Actors now are just tall and handsome, most of them former models, and most of them lacking in the acting department, we just think they're great actors because we don't want to say anything bad about our beautiful people. Do you think millions will turn into a show every week only to look at some ugly guy, or to see that guy that every girl in the country is wanting to jump on top of? The world has become insanely shallow, looks are everything, style and fashion are everything, money is everything.

Most actors nowadays are just picked off the streets for their looks, sounds bad, but true. (Vic Zhou was given one of the lead roles in Metoer Garden without even auditioning! Daniel Henney in a parking lot, etc...) I bet you that if I were just two inches taller, you would see me in the next drama lol.

And I'm sure there have been some ugly actors before...I just can't seem to name any at this moment. And yeah, the whole thing about the lead actor usually not being as good-looking as the supporting actor is usuallt true. Just compare Rain and Kim Sung Soo in Full House. No offense to Bi fans!

Edited by Kayem, 07 November 2006 - 04:05 AM.

#29 zhyune.max

zhyune.max

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

hmmmmmmm if i were to choose between a show with pretty actors and actresses against one with 'ugly' casts, i'll definitely pick the one with pretty actors. but mostly how i decide on a show depends on the storyline and plot. havent seen many 'ugly' casts as yet....mot of them look fine to me.!

#30 blu3~cloud

blu3~cloud

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

hmm i seen a few lol!
but they say that in korea there are no good lookin guys because all the good lookin guys in korean have turned singer/actors lol!
i have a korean friend that said that 2 me b4.. also some of my non koreanfriends has said that 2!

Yeap!! Gonna agree with you~
When my sister was working, she always saw some Korean guys came to M'sia...
and she says that: "Why the guys that we always saw on the screen doesnt looks like them?!"
and she say that (she uses DBSK to compare), the feature on their face that I saw was totally not on the faces on DBSK!!!!
She said that korean guys are like small eyes as their eyes goes =.=...
keke~
-------------------
About ugly actors...
Ya agree~ a lot of ppl says that it depends on the beholder eyes...
But if they have good acting skills.. (to me its another point)
But surely before seeing any drama, we will surely find the info of the drama...
And we will surely choose the drama with good-looking guys & girls...
So does the director, they know that viewers like it...
So they must choose the ones that are good-looking...
Thats why~

#31 malia

malia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:44 PM

not all of them are good looking some are just okay...and some are ugly...that's what I think but honestly I would rather watch a drama with really good looking actors and actresses then some ugly ones...even if the drama is boring...

#32 misspinky

misspinky

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

well usually actors are hot that what makes people want to watch the series but there are some actors that i think are ugly but its the character that makes me start to love them. prettier people are more pleasing to the eye.

#33 chibimarukochan

chibimarukochan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

actually there are quite a lot a handful of ugly actors lol

chan tae hyun and bi are what i can think of right now

#34 Mariella

Mariella

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

there are TONS of unattractive people in movies and dramas. Usually they are side characters.. OR they are leads in dramas that are NOT bought by YOUR country and only are shown and popular in South Korea. Those unnattractive people always have a quality to them though.. such as they are really funny or really superb at acting.

You just aren't exposed to them.. but they are HUGELY popular in South Korea.. one example being Psy.. although he is a singer.. South Koreans don't find him good looking at all but they love him for his personality, charisma and singing/song writing ability.. His popularity is tremendous.

to think that the whole country looks like your most favorite good looking celebrity is ridiculous and silly.. That's like thinking USA ONLY has young Brad Pitt look a likes here. Korea has all sorts of people.. but I go to South Korea often.. and yes.. there are LOTs of good looking young people. I'm sometimes amazed at how good looking the young are.. even really young kids. Plus many of them dress really well.. better than most other countries- especially the U.S. But like anywhere there are plain and unnattractive people as well.

#35 just_ella

just_ella

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

talking about korean actors...i think they are all handsome and attractive.....
if we're talking about singers....may be i can think of some male singers that doesn't look good...

#36 Passerby A

Passerby A

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

=___=|| This in my humble opinion is a rather pointless question... because everybody's definition of beauty is quite different. What one person finds beautiful may be downright ugly to another and vice versa. Personally, I can say that there are a lot of celebrities that many may find to be so-called "beautiful" but I on the other hand find them to be rather ugly, not because of what they "look like" but more because of their inner "ugliness" that always manages to somehow manifest on the surface. Likewise, there may be people who could be considered "plain" by many, but I may personally find them to be appealing because despite their plainness, their inner beauty may shine through to create a very charismatic appearance.

#37 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

people r shallow so they tend to ignor actors who are ugly, which in turn, leads to low tv ratings... thus, the korean channels have to use only good looking stars if they want to make money

Oh so true the shallowness of Koreans, yet again look closely and you will see all the so call UGLY actors they all had plastic surgery, look how many of them lookalike! Wher are the darker skinned or biracials korean singers and actors they sure is not working, they are doing one night gigs or lounge singers. Look at the world their artists are muliti layered, and color facited, share in the growth.

Oh so true the shallowness of Koreans, yet again look closely and you will see all the so call UGLY actors they all had plastic surgery, look how many of them lookalike! Where are the darker skinned or biracials korean singers and actors they sure is not working, they are doing one night gigs or lounge singers. Look at the world their artists are muliti layered, and color facited, share in the growth.

#38 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13472 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

you want to see fugly korean actorss and atresses? then go watch some korean movies...

one of them is "see you after school" if that isn't ugly for you then there is that "letters to mars"

but then to me some of those actors/actresses are ugly. to some others, they are pretty.

i do agree with the GOONG statement...her 2 friends are scary as hell!

#39 Aspire

Aspire

Sweet and Spicy

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6791 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

I agree that MOST of the Korean actors are very good-looking, but come to think of it, it's a way to attract people to watch the shows/movies right? But then, some people watch a show NOT because of good-looking stars, but they want to see what does the story says, and some people see an actor's acting as the most important element on an actor, not the looks...

But then, the make-up on their faces plays a part in making them good-looking right?

About the two friends of CG's in Goong, I actually find them cute... hehehe

Edited by Aspire, 17 March 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#40 Kayem

Kayem

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:11 AM

Ewwwwwww..! That guy from See You After School was sooo fugly! I sound really mean, but dear God was he scary looking. However, I still have to admit that I kinda liked him. His screen presence and humor were pluses.