AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

How much will/did your chinese wedding cost?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3992 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

For those who are married and are of chinese origin, how much did your wedding cost? where do you spent it on?
y
and for those who aren't married yet, what are you planning to do for your wedding and how much budget are you going to spend on it? (honeymoon excluded)

I'm just gathering some extra info for some research :hug

#2 Ranger

Ranger

Zoom Zoom

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:59 AM

chinese wedding? you mean those in the movies where they wear chinese traditional costumes and buy new bed with coconuts and serve the elders tea? does anyone still do those nowadays?

Edited by hannobee, 21 August 2006 - 02:02 AM.

#3 vanny

vanny

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:24 AM

For those who are married and are of chinese origin, how much did your wedding cost? where do you spent it on?
y
and for those who aren't married yet, what are you planning to do for your wedding and how much budget are you going to spend on it? (honeymoon excluded)

hmmm, my friends wedding cost about $10,000 AUD. I thought that was quite alot. There was probably over 150 guests though, and with Chinese weddings people dont buy gifts, they give "lei si". Most people give around 100 dollars a head. So 150 x 100 = $15,000 AUD!!! OMG, thats so much.. I must have miscalculated.. but anyway, the point Im trying to make is that you will probably get alot back through "lei si".

chinese wedding? you mean those in the movies where they wear chinese traditional costumes and buy new bed with coconuts and serve the elders tea? does anyone still do those nowadays?

Tea ceremony.. Yep, people still do that. When I get married it will be the same. Its tradition!!

#4 inniminnimanimo

inniminnimanimo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:57 AM

well i helped organise 2 weddings and for costs it was somewhere around the $15,000 mark for both, and you do get a bit back through red pocket ie "lai see" but you should know that normally that gets either split between both families or it all goes to the brides family, so dont expect to pay for the wedding with that

#5 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3992 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

serve the elders tea? does anyone still do those nowadays?

Well, the tea ceremony is the cheapest because it doesn't cost a thing and you actually get money for it, so I really wouldn't mind doing that :loool:

I once helped out with a friend's wedding. And I even helped out on counting the lai sze afterwards. Not only did they earned back the banquet, they made a litle profit too.

But still... I am wondering how much you have to spit up for such a wedding.

Isn't it funny that there are tons of female dresses and kinda nothing for male?
http://chinabridal.com/

#6 erick7532

erick7532

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

well nowaday it atlease 50-100 per person that comes so u probably make money after the dinner part

#7 330d

330d

Catch you if you Spam

• Forum Crew
  • 18519 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:44 AM

well nowaday it atlease 50-100 per person that comes so u probably make money after the dinner part

It depends on in which country you are giving the dinner. 50 redpackage is average per person. However, don't forget there are couples and the worst case the whole family are invited. For example Mum, dad & 3 childs give you 150. One table is for 10 person, to earn the banquet&drinks back, you need at least receive 50 per person. And don't forget that there are ppl who will give presents at Western way. Also HKers give less compared to the most mainlanders.

And the most important, what do your family in law want. Normally the female side wants a X number of tables to invite their family/friends. And the redpackage will be splitted. They put both someone from the male/female side near the entrance and splitting the redpackage. If your wife's family demand that from you, well good luck then ;)

It depends on in which country you are giving the dinner. 50 redpackage is average per person. However, don't forget there are couples and the worst case the whole family are invited. For example Mum, dad & 3 childs give you 150. One table is for 10 person, to earn the banquet&drinks back, you need at least receive 50 per person. And don't forget that there are ppl who will give presents at Western way. Also HKers give less compared to the most mainlanders.

And the most important, what do your family in law want. Normally the female side wants a X number of tables to invite their family/friends. And the redpackage will be splitted. They put both someone from the male/female side near the entrance and splitting the redpackage. If your wife's family demand that from you, well good luck then ;)

But going back to the question about total spending on a traditional wedding with banquet. Just a calculation with average costs.

- Wedding car 200EU (even you don't rent a car, just take a friends car, it's tradition that you gave the carowner redpackage)
- Costumes/shoes 2000EU (trip back to HK could save a lot money)
- Make up/Hair 200EU (same story, calling a prof or asking a friend, you still need to pay)
- Photo/Video 2000EU (the photos are expensive, depending on how many you want and the type of album(s))
- Redpackage for the helping bro/sis 1400EU (500 for entrance for the sis to divide and 500 for 10 bros and 400 for the bestman also providing him a costume)
- Banquet 500EU for each table (let say 20tables 10000)
- Wines/XO, cigarettes 500EU (depening on how many guests)
- Thanks-gifts for the guests 500EU (order in HK!)
- Invitations 200EU (order in HK!)
- Wedding reception/tea ceremony 500EU
- Flowers, guestlist, family buttons, and other small things 750EU
- Weddingcake 100EU

Just rough calculation in total: 18150EU

Edited by 330d, 21 August 2006 - 11:05 AM.

#8 cici_ying

cici_ying

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:33 PM

I got married just over five years ago and just for the chinese banquet (sit down meal), it cost us £20 000 and that was excluding drinks and also we got a discount off per table as we are very close to the manager.

It all depends on how many people you are thinking of inviting to the wedding. The table prices can range from £400-£600 per table plus drinks on top. With weddings though, you tend to make money back via the red packets that the guests tend to bring as gifts.

#9 2002 X5

2002 X5

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10102 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

y

OOOOooo.. so that means good news in on the way huh! ok when i had mine i had like 27 tables of ppl. when i had it it was like 400 USD per table for food. now i think it's a bit more. then you have to rent the limo or car. flowers. invites with prepaid rsvp envelopes. new beddings. new place if you are heading that way or just at your existing place. then how many in the wedding party. how much you think of giving to her side of the family. engagement ring!!!!! pick out wedding bands. buy your own boxes of liquor cause it would be cheaper you bring them. suit rentals for you and your wedding party. and where you going on your honeymoon. Wedding cake. red envelope money. so think of a rough figure. if i remember more i'll post again.

Edited by LinWu88, 28 August 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#10 pk4l

pk4l

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

My friend wedding with around ... ten thousand dollar(US) ... too much family ... =| and friends as well =) ...

#11 Rutweety

Rutweety

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

My wedding was around US$10K. It included the reception, food, dj, flowers, and of course open bar.

#12 TVB_SONGS

TVB_SONGS

Power Hungry Hijacker

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

it depend on what you want to spent on and did you know how to save it on thing that are not inprove dont have to do it

#13 blushiningstar

blushiningstar

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:58 AM

Depends how expense your wedding photos and clothes are going to be. Most chinese banquet doesn't cost much, because chinese people like to give money as wedding gifts. Most of the time these money will pay for the banquet. The main thing you have to pay for is your wedding photos, the gowns for the bride and the tux for the groom.

#14 semantic2

semantic2

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

i believe we spent close to $17K. but we did not have a church, we had a civil ceremony, we did traditional chinese stuff, like to pick up the bride, give door money to the money grubbing girls. :P give lai see to the bridal party. we did our own invitations, spent money on the wedding dress, party dress, kei po, tuxes for groomsmen, father, myself, bridesmade dresses and accessories, etc. basically before i thought it would have been closer to about $25K but it depends on how many people show up @ your wedding. since we estimated there was minimum of 25 tables @ 10 persons per table. oh yeah don't forget the DJ. we brought our own alcohol. stuff like that. but if you go american style which most older chinese people don't like then it get's more expensive. where's that shark fin soup! Abalone! Roast Pork! awesome!

#15 gobi

gobi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

OMG nd i thought Indian weddings were expensive!!!!
Wow i didn't realise they cost this much - phew!!!

#16 tonyyip

tonyyip

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

Our's cost around $25000 but we got some of it back from the banquet
as a lot of guests gave us money as wedding gifts which helped a lot.

#17 cbc_bunnie

cbc_bunnie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:39 AM

I've got a budget of $20K CAD and I know my brother came in around $23K CAD for his wedding. After his lai see he ended up with wedding costing him around $6K but that's because they splurged on somethings and the number of guests that come to the wedding.

#18 emailme_marilyn

emailme_marilyn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

i have a very traditional chinese family.

chinese engagement ceremony (where the guy's family give the girl gifts) $30k
church wedding and reception $40k

#19 Guest_LovelyLie_*

Guest_LovelyLie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

I am not chinese but I spent 30 euros. Everything was on sale and I got 2 rings ones price. That is actually one of the best things I have done for long time. I smiled and laughed all the time. Some people use drugs to get their kicks, I do goofy things. And this was totally a long trip for me ... Funny one... I said there is no day set when rings have to be ready, they are just for fun. And a salesman did not believed it, lol... they treated me like a real princess, it was so fun Posted Image .

Edited by LovelyLie, 27 March 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#20 kasuso

kasuso

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

I am not chinese but I spent 30 euros. Everything was on sale and I got 2 rings ones price. That is actually one of the best things I have done for long time. I smiled and laughed all the time. Some people use drugs to get their kicks, I do goofy things. And this was totally a long trip for me ... Funny one... I said there is no day set when rings have to be ready, they are just for fun. And a salesman did not believed it, lol... they treated me like a real princess, it was so fun Posted Image .

YO high?

#21 Guest_LovelyLie_*

Guest_LovelyLie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

YO high?

Happiness chemicals in my brain works by humour Posted Image The more I laugh, the higher I go Posted Image