AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

[Diet] Shaolin Food

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 xguest

xguest

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

I only know that shaolin monks are vegetarians and they eat alot of vegetable and tofu. How do they prepare it and is it delicious??

Someone who can supply some true shaolin recipes?

Edited by xguest, 25 September 2006 - 05:23 PM.

#2 babybey

babybey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Probably they add lots of sauce to cover up the blandess. Try to google the recipes.

#3 wingedmemories

wingedmemories

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:05 AM

Rice:) how come you're asking this though?(just wondering)

#4 kmotoao

kmotoao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:10 AM

i cant live without meat, i don't know how they do it, they are lacking so much proteins

#5 kuchizuke

kuchizuke

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

They can also eat a lot of fungi (e.g. mushrooms) because that's like full of protein.

#6 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3994 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

Shaolin is a buddhist temple. If you ever saw the teachings of buddhism then you should already understand what they eat.

Everything is clear and extreme common. Cooked vegetables, white rice, not even using any flavouring. Even onions are considered bad.

The vegeterian menus that you as a visitor gets to eat is completely different to what they eat themselves.

Don't think that because of their kungfu-image that they are using some kind of powerfood...

#7 Dark Cabbage

Dark Cabbage

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:45 AM

Interestingly the monks are vegetarians, and science has proven vegetables can provide more energy than meat. This does not mean that it's better for you to eat vegetables only, but the monks are stronger I supposed because of the energy supply they get from their food.

Regarding the topic, since they are vegetarians, they don't eat meat. Think of any Asian vegetarian dishes, then subtract those with fish sauce, chicken powder, and any other spices or flavouring you can think of that is made out of animals. Their main sauce is soy sauce and the main spices are salt, pepper, and chilli. The oil, I'm not sure because "vegetable oils" nowadays don't seem to be just pure vegetable oils.

#8 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

I only know that shaolin monks are vegetarians and they eat alot of vegetable and tofu. How do they prepare it and is it delicious??

Someone who can supply some true shaolin recipes?

monks are vegeterian, because the simplicity of their food reflects their simplicity of life.
If doesnt matter if it is delicious or not, if you dont eat you wont have energy to do drills and perform kung fu. LOL, but there some some vegetarian dishes that are very yummy, probably because I hardly eat any full vegetarin meals beside like first of the lunar month and other religious days.

how do they prepare it? Go to the local asian grocery and tell them about it, and you get the basic stuff to make food! :lol?:

Interestingly the monks are vegetarians, and science has proven vegetables can provide more energy than meat. This does not mean that it's better for you to eat vegetables only, but the monks are stronger I supposed because of the energy supply they get from their food.

Regarding the topic, since they are vegetarians, they don't eat meat. Think of any Asian vegetarian dishes, then subtract those with fish sauce, chicken powder, and any other spices or flavouring you can think of that is made out of animals. Their main sauce is soy sauce and the main spices are salt, pepper, and chilli. The oil, I'm not sure because "vegetable oils" nowadays don't seem to be just pure vegetable oils.

Shaolin Monks are strong, because of their fitness level. Martial art is like their life, they do that most of their time.

#9 jennlee

jennlee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

everything looks boiled / steamed in there
and they eat mostly rice

#10 *1*more*time*

*1*more*time*

Im in Luv...S2 S2 S2

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

If you ever been to a normal temple (buddhist for example) the vegetarian meals actually taste great... for e.g. they have fake meats ( made from flour) ,and the food is actually very flavoursome... stirfry etc etc... You can cook vegetarian meals the same way you cook normal meals.. just minus the meat =)

#11 sababoy

sababoy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

yeah they eat only veggies! i think fish too... not sure!

#12 mzdeviL

mzdeviL

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4511 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

monks are die-hard vegetarians, they don't eat meat and seafood, and not even poultry...I don't think they even season/flavour much of their foods either...veggies and tofu are mainly the foods they eat.

I'm a meat-lover, and can't even survive one day without it! sometimes I wonder how those monks can survive with such a bland diet.

#13 m.a.n.e.a.t.e.r

m.a.n.e.a.t.e.r

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

They have really bland foods because as monks they eat whatever they get and don't complain. However vegetarian food is really nice if you know how to cook it. Every week or so i usualyl go to a temple that has vege food and it taste great. they have things like chicken that is vegetarian (apparently its made of tofu) and its taste good.

#14 winniex33

winniex33

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:33 AM

im guessing they drink wate rand eat a lot of vegetables. i don't dink they eat a lot of meat or that would actually hurt them more.

#15 Taegeuk

Taegeuk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

You have to eat at least 10 vegetables/fruits a day to keep the "Shaolin" or "Martial Art" style... *Ref: The Okinawa Way by Suzuki*

#16 aznhon

aznhon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

They make really simple dishes. They either just use a little of oil and salt and stirfry them or they steam them!

#17 Hard drive

Hard drive

Spam Hater

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

If you ever been to a normal temple (buddhist for example) the vegetarian meals actually taste great... for e.g. they have fake meats ( made from flour) ,and the food is actually very flavoursome... stirfry etc etc... You can cook vegetarian meals the same way you cook normal meals.. just minus the meat =)

The "fake meats" you're referring to is called gluten. Like meat, it is chewy and tasty; it adds more variety to vegetarian menus. However, gluten itself is made from the dough of wheat flour and cooked in a broth, thus is considered a vegetarian food.

#18 keepp

keepp

Respect All. Fear None.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

there's vegetarian and then there is buddhist vegetarian.

buddhist vegetarians do not eat eggs, onions, garlic and other "strong smelling/tasting" vegetables. not sure if you get my meaning. my mom is a buddhist vegetarian and it is sometimes hard to go to a restaurant w/ her because most of the times, the food has to altered to meet her dietary rules.

I find it funny that they have this fake meat. most of it is actually quite tasty. they do try to simulate the texture and smell/taste of the actual meats. sometimes I wonder if this does not defeat the whole purpose of not eating meat.