AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

White-washed asian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
258 replies to this topic

#1 babybey

babybey

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

Personally, I hate the word white-washed. For example if an asian is wearing abercrombie she is known as white-washed. I wear it but I don't consider myself white-washed. When people get double-eyelid surgery people say it's white-washed. Did white influence this or do people just simply want bigger eyes? Is there even such a thing as "acting white"?

EDIT

The reason why I brought the clothing thing up is because a couple of my friends called me white-washed and it's all over AsianFanatics. I only remember a couple of people calling me white-washed because of the way I dressed that day. I speak Chinese, I watch the dramas, I've only dated Asian guys, and I use chopsticks once in awhile (:. I embrace the Asian culture but I also embrace the Caucasian culture as well. The only time when I call someone a twinkie is never... or in a jokingly way.

Edited by babybey, 03 November 2006 - 07:03 AM.

#2 Onigiri Sensei

Onigiri Sensei

ASIAN 4 EVER

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:09 AM

well to me
i consider white washed asian is when they act white..constant saying of "like" or"duhh"
u kno those valley girls stuff...

and wut else hmm....
oh dey complain alot when camping or in a trip or in a different country

#3 ChangDepTrai

ChangDepTrai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:42 AM

I say "like" a lot o.o, like and fcking are my favorite words lol
And i wear abercrombie sometimes??
Whats the problem? =/

#4 GirlWithUglyFeet

GirlWithUglyFeet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:44 AM

I refer the term white-washed to Asians, Africans or other non-White people who try to act like a Caucasian. I wouldn't necessarily say that just because you wear Abercromie and Finch means your white-washed. It's more about how you act.

#5 caliboy

caliboy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:49 AM

just admit it.. if you are growing up in a western country or is currently living in one, then you are going to have to be assimilated to a varying degree to that country's culture. so yeah, if you're an asian growing up in the US, Canada, UK, whatever... I'm expecting you to be acting kinda "white" or kinda "black" or whatever.

there's no problem with that. just like you see some white guy living in HK, you'll see him doing a lot of asian stuff, do you call him yellow-washed?

i know they're people who see asians acting this way and feel superior because they are keeping more to the asian culture. i felt like that before too. but it's stupid so just get over it.

and people want double eye-lids because big eyes are deemed more beautiful. just look at all the actresses in western and asian showbiz. almost all have doubles.

#6 CellphoneMP3

CellphoneMP3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:08 AM

To me an example of white wash is when someone was born chinese but doesnt know chinese and only speaks english. I call that white wash.

#7 onanhuk

onanhuk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:55 AM

To me an example of white wash is when someone was born chinese but doesnt know chinese and only speaks english. I call that white wash.

That's not true to me. I mean, I know some Chinese, but I'm nowhere NEAR fluent. Still, I would find it extremely offensive if somebody told me I was white-washed, because my values coincide with those my family instilled in me...My Chinese values...My Asian values...My immigrant values (even though I'm not an immigrant).

#8 Roy88

Roy88

Supreme Leader of my Life

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

When an asian thinks that the Western nations are better than his/her own asian country.
They try to speak English every now and then, and don't use their own language even when talking to their family.
They dye their hair blonde, use a broken western style of speaking that made them sound unbearable and think they are better than their friends who are also asians.

#9 Havoc

Havoc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:44 AM

To me, white washed is a person who has turned his/her back on their own culture, and adopted the white culture. Someone who doesn't respect where he/she came from, and their own history. Someone who try's to act white, cause they don't want people to say their FOB even though their not.

#10 xLx

xLx

kOn~meh

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

i only refer to ppl as white washed
if they have no knowledge of thetraditions, entertainment, blah..of their culture
they hardly speak chinese or woteva their native language, and gt no intension to learn it either.
they hang out wif white ppl ..becoz they are white
they diss other asians for beings 'too obesed wif asian culture' and say things like..we're in australia/america or woteva country u're so, so live like one'
things like dat
btw..i always thot double eye lid surgery thing is krn...........europeans hardly need it..
their eyes are so deep, practically all of them look like they have double eye lids..

#11 icekitty

icekitty

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

i haven't heard of the word white-washed before. i live in london i do know how to speck english slang words

#12 Da_ENTP

Da_ENTP

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:16 PM

someone is white-washed when they have gone astray from their culture, the remembrance of the land of their ancestors, and their roots

#13 metamorphic_chic

metamorphic_chic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

to me whitewashed is like they either havent had the chance to or dont want to experience their own culture but stick to the norm and so conform to those around them who would be white and so they act more like a white person than their own race. things they do, say etc.

#14 Big Bird

Big Bird

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Question: What's so bad about somebody being white-washed?
I mean, sure it's good to know your heritage and be proud of it and stuff, but I don't really see how not doing those things makes you a bad person.
Especially if say, a 'white-washed' person is living in a Western country. What's wrong with acting "white" in a "white" country (sorry to call it that, but I get confused because a lot of people seem to think that's what it is)? That would be like saying white people living in an Asian country should just ignore all the social standards around them and stick their chopsticks in their rice and clomp around houses in their muddy shoes, because if they didn't, then that'd be acting "asian" when they're not and they'd therefore be self-haters.
Then again I guess white people don't really have a culture to be proud of, what with all the murder and greed and racism that's been goin' on over the years. :rolleyes:

#15 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

I think Havoc said enough, but I also want to contribute a few things. That you like the other culture and habits is fine, but to turn your back towards your original roots is simply sad. It's like that you don't appreciate yourself and want to become someone else. Probably the white washed people don't know better, since they haven't experienced it yet. Hopefully when they grow older, they realize what're are doing. It's not like that you don't need to settle down, but to know a few traditions and stuff can't be bad.

#16 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

Question: What's so bad about somebody being white-washed?
I mean, sure it's good to know your heritage and be proud of it and stuff, but I don't really see how not doing those things makes you a bad person.
Especially if say, a 'white-washed' person is living in a Western country. What's wrong with acting "white" in a "white" country (sorry to call it that, but I get confused because a lot of people seem to think that's what it is)? That would be like saying white people living in an Asian country should just ignore all the social standards around them and stick their chopsticks in their rice and clomp around houses in their muddy shoes, because if they didn't, then that'd be acting "asian" when they're not and they'd therefore be self-haters.
Then again I guess white people don't really have a culture to be proud of, what with all the murder and greed and racism that's been goin' on over the years. :rolleyes:

Fully agree with the first part - and the last part, I'm seriously hoping that was sarcasm to make a point XD;

I'm sick of hearing people say that white people have no culture -__-; Why do people hate Caucasians so much? If a white person does anything remotely seen as 'Asian' - they're a wannabe, if an Asian person... doesn't act 'Asian', then they're not honouring their roots and they're 'white-washed'. Similarily if Asians dress "gangsta", that's cool, a white person does it, and people say they want to be black... What is this? =_=;;;

Also, why is it that Asians segregate amongst each other so much? If I see a Polish person wherever, I have a kinship with them, solidarity and all that, and it doesn't matter if their English is perfect with no accent, or if they can barely speak English at all, it doesn't matter how much of their heritage they respect and enact, it doesn't matter how they dress of anything. They're just Polish, and thus we're similar. So why do so many Asians think themselves better than other Asians? Why all the terms like 'white-washed', 'banana', 'twinkies', 'FOBs' etcetc. It's really strange, you'd think that people with similar origins would embrace each other, I would have thought that if a Chinese person met another Chinese person, there wold be a sort of kinship - whereas you get - 'he's a FOB!' and 'she's so white-washed!!' -.-; It's really silly... I understand Chinese and Japanese for example keeping separate, 'cause just because you're from the same continent it doesn't make you the same, but Chinese and Chinese?

What's it all matter? Our world is becoming more and more multi-cultural, people of different cultures are learning to embrace each other, so why do people originally from the same country divide themselves so much?? How does that make sense? I'd understand religious and political differences... but varying degrees of embracing certain cultures?

That turned out a bit too long, but I had to vent XD;;;

#17 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

Fully agree with the first part - and the last part, I'm seriously hoping that was sarcasm to make a point XD;
I'm sick of hearing people say that white people have no culture -__-; Why do people hate Caucasians so much? If a white person does anything remotely seen as 'Asian' - they're a wannabe, if an Asian person... doesn't act 'Asian', then they're not honouring their roots and they're 'white-washed'. Similarily if Asians dress "gangsta", that's cool, a white person does it, and people say they want to be black... What is this? =_=;;;

Also, why is it that Asians segregate amongst each other so much? If I see a Polish person wherever, I have a kinship with them, solidarity and all that, and it doesn't matter if their English is perfect with no accent, or if they can barely speak English at all, it doesn't matter how much of their heritage they respect and enact, it doesn't matter how they dress of anything. They're just Polish, and thus we're similar. So why do so many Asians think themselves better than other Asians? Why all the terms like 'white-washed', 'banana', 'twinkies', 'FOBs' etcetc. It's really strange, you'd think that people with similar origins would embrace each other, I would have thought that if a Chinese person met another Chinese person, there wold be a sort of kinship - whereas you get - 'he's a FOB!' and 'she's so white-washed!!' -.-; It's really silly... I understand Chinese and Japanese for example keeping separate, 'cause just because you're from the same continent it doesn't make you the same, but Chinese and Chinese?

What's it all matter? Our world is becoming more and more multi-cultural, people of different cultures are learning to embrace each other, so why do people originally from the same country divide themselves so much?? How does that make sense? I'd understand religious and political differences... but varying degrees of embracing certain cultures?

That turned out a bit too long, but I had to vent XD;;;

I will only call an asian "white-washed' when he/she don't even know his/her country's history, and don't even bother to learn. Thinking that Western culture and history are way 'cooler' than their own. Some even look down on other asians, thinking that they are 'white' rather than asians.
Don't some white people also call asians who try to acted like them, wannabes?

As for 'why do people hate Caucasians so much?'
Read about the history of world.............

#18 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

I will only call an asian "white-washed' when he/she don't even know his/her country's history, and don't even bother to learn. Thinking that Western culture and history are way 'cooler' than their own. Some even look down on other asians, thinking that they are 'white' rather than asians.
Don't some white people also call asians who try to acted like them, wannabes?

As for 'why do people hate Caucasians so much?'
Read about the history of world.............

I've never heard any white person call anyone being "white" wannabes, whites aren't that protective of their "look".

History? Get over it. The generations now have nothing to do with what happened way back, and people act as if the only wars and discrimination that has ever happened was all only caused by whites. The Japanese did some atrocious things, but does anyone have any double-standards when it comes to them? No. And are you going to tell me China's history is bloodless? And you actually want me to believe that there's no racism in Asia? Please.

People should learn from history, and make sure those things don't re-occur, not dredge it up all the time to apply some sort of misguided justice which is only actually prejudice and discrimination. Caucasian gov'ts and groups of people are trying to rectify the mistakes the previous generations made, make up for it, but no one sees it, other races just see what happened in the past and throw it in our faces.

Racism and such things are illegal in the western world, yes it happens, but there is a move to eradicate it, it's not left because it's 'just' - it's looked down upon and people are trying to fix it, hence the PC phenomenon started. But in other places? People can be as racist as they like towards Caucasians, because it's "just retribution".

So many Caucasians out there are trying hard to learn about the cultures of other places, either just to learn about them, or not say anything un-PC, but people from other continents... you don't get as much interest in learning about other places. Just look at this forum - how many times has the generalisation of white = American occured? How many times has someone said that Caucasians have no culture? It's not because it's the truth, it's completely false, it's because no one cares to learn about Caucasians, because they feel it's the Caucasians who "owe it" to other races to learn about them.

History is no excuse, if it was, I would be perfectly entitled to be racist towards Germans, Turks, Swedes, Russians etcetc, but am I? No. Because the history in which they wronged my country is long passed, and the current generations have nothing to do with it. I'm not going to hate Germans for destroying 80% of my home city, I'm not going to hate all communists for killing my great grandfather and burying him in some mass grave somewhere, I'm not going to be offensive about Kazakhstan just because my great-grandmother spent most of her life in a work/concentration camp there. It's no excuse for me, and it's no excuse for anyone else.

People are using history as an excuse. And they're being completely un-PC about it. If your home country had been colonised byt the British... okay, maybe you dislike the British, alhough it's no excuse - why translate that to hating everyone with white skin? The Americans caused a lot of pain and suffering in Vietnam... but wait, why hate just the Americans? Why not hate the Romanians while you're at it? They've got the same physical features, so why not?

It's complete bull. People should stop hiding behind the history excuse. Because that's all it is, an excuse.

#19 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

People should learn from history, and make sure those things don't re-occur, not dredge it up all the time to apply some sort of misguided justice which is only actually prejudice and discrimination. Caucasian gov'ts and groups of people are trying to rectify the mistakes the previous generations made, make up for it, but no one sees it, other races just see what happened in the past and throw it in our faces.

Racism and such things are illegal in the western world, yes it happens, but there is a move to eradicate it, it's not left because it's 'just' - it's looked down upon and people are trying to fix it, hence the PC phenomenon started. But in other places? People can be as racist as they like towards Caucasians, because it's "just retribution".

So many Caucasians out there are trying hard to learn about the cultures of other places, either just to learn about them, or not say anything un-PC, but people from other continents... you don't get as much interest in learning about other places.

Although Caucasians are trying hard to learn about other cultures but there are still people in the western world that stick to the 'old' thinking.
There are people from other continents who are interest in learning about the western world.

Just look at this forum - how many times has the generalisation of white = American occured? How many times has someone said that Caucasians have no culture? It's not because it's the truth, it's completely false, it's because no one cares to learn about Caucasians, because they feel it's the Caucasians who "owe it" to other races to learn about them.

Its because America is the major superpower and is like leading the whole world. It can be called a world police and not many would want a country to interfere with their countries.
People do cares to learn about Caucasians. Don't paint a grim picture.

This is getting out of topic.

Now let get back to the topic.
Like I said:

Edited by RoyFang, 28 October 2006 - 08:21 PM.

#20 novemberbaby

novemberbaby

arashi/arashi: best pairing.

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1202 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

To me, people who are white-washed are those who don't want to admit that they're Asian or whatever they are. They would rather be considered as white. Or, white-washed people are those who have no absolute interest in their heritage. I don't mean they don't like watching televisions or listen to music from their heritage. I mean they just down right ignore the fact that such things exist.

^ I'm confusing myself so I don't expect anyone to understand what I wrote.

#21 pureforge

pureforge

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

I refer white wash to ppl
iono, who just seem white
like dress, activities, culture, and not know too much of their own original culture
such as i know someone who is chinese but dont kno chinese at all... but she grew up in a white neightborhood, she didnt like being chinese and wanted to be white n learn ENGlish ASAP... and she did.... she don't know her chinese culture, religion or what so ever.... and she acts like it

#22 KerCrunk

KerCrunk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

MhmMM YAY. white-washed asian girls are the sh*t, honestly no guy wants some f*cking timid your never going to get laid with fob, whom can't have fun, can't leave the house past 9pm, can't even have a bf so you can't go over to her house buncha sh*t.

i dno but white washed is more fun, they can actually let loose, not so god damn shy it feels like your at a funeral anytime you guys hang out.

#23 kungfuKid001

kungfuKid001

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:50 PM

A white/japanese/whatever washed person to me is.....

1. wearing crap like abercrombie and fitch and american eagle.
I don't get why asians wear abercrombie when it's a racist clothing line. To me, that's like a slap in the face saying "I don't care what you say about me, i'll still buy your exspensive crap" Abercrombie stated themselves they don't care about anyone except their targeted customers which is white frat boys and girls.

2. soaking up another culture where you forget about your own. pretty easy to define, since that person makes it obvious, that they like another culture more than their own. For example, seeing people wanting japanese this and japanese that or an asian person liking only white people and white pop culture stuff.

3. basically an asian person snubbing their own race/nationality for another.

Also asian people are white washed if they don't know their history because history is part of what makes a culture. That doesn't just mean knowing about ww2 and other bad event.

I'll definately seperate myself from fellow chinese because even if they are chinese, on the inside they're not. I know white washed is an insult but i hate people that are white washed so i'll call it as i see it.
With more than 1.3 billion chinese you're gonna have some different groups.

When asians say fobs it's usually just saying it but not meant as an insult. Of course, abcs aren't gonna hang out with fobs since abcs can't speak chinese fluently and are not gonna be in the same loop as fobs. It's not that they don't want to hang out with fobs, it's just different interests.

Unlike most white people in america, asians aren't nearly as mixed and therefore we have stronger viewpoints. Since white people are mixed they usually can't take sides.

Edited by kungfuKid001, 29 October 2006 - 11:53 PM.

#24 a l l y

a l l y

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

This is interesting. First time I heard the word too. I guess it is not used here where I am at.

Could it be how they were brought up and friends they mixed with? I don't think people would do that intentionally.

#25 Edwyn Lilac

Edwyn Lilac

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:09 AM

I'd say white-washed is:
- Having no understanding of his/her culture
- Wanting to assimilate
- Having no cultural pride

Personally, I think that being white-washed is a bad thing. I think that my culture is great and I take pride in my Chinese heritage. I think that it's good to try and fit in, but I also think that one should remember his roots.

I know one person who is white-washed, unfortunately.

#26 graceezz

graceezz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

what does being white-washed mean? everyone has their own little definition of the word. there are plenty of people who say the word "like" and whatnot alot... does that mean that they are all whitewashed as well?

#27 newwavedreamer

newwavedreamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:14 AM

I find the term "whitewashed" insulting to one's intelligence because it assumes many erroneous things. Firstly, that just because one is Asian, there is a predetermined set of characteristics/beliefs that he must adhere to, no matter what his background is. Secondly, that all white people all of the same mainstream American culture. If a third-generation Scotsman drank Bud and wore A&F, does he not sell out his roots as much as an Asian who does the same? Oh wait, since he looks white and we're too lazy to get to know people beyond the most superficial way possible, it's okay.

#28 I3oi

I3oi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:35 AM

When i use the term "white wash", I refer to the kinda ppl whose able to do the superhard crossword puzzles in the newspaper :P jk. Nah but seriously I try not to use that word too much cuz its kinda insulting. I mean there are some ppl who like to live like white ppl and enjoy what they enjoy cuz its all about their own personal preference. Ppl shouldnt really call ppl white-wash cuz they do things like white ppl do, its their choice and preference.

#29 -HK.style-

-HK.style-

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:42 AM

whitewash to me just means being immersed in another countries culture and way of living.. speaking very colloquially not in their native language and reading english-ish novel books lol... to me ppl are either fob (refering to honkie) or they whitewashed... i hardly see any fobs trying to be more aussie or whatever because it gets too awkward half the time... but yeh wearing clothing brands sometimes doesnt mean u are whitewashed... i mean people wear 'billabong' brand in hk (its an aus brand) but i'm told its supposedly an expensive brand in hk or sumfin... or they wear stussy or zoo york which are american street brands so yeh the brand doesnt indicate that much

#30 pepper

pepper

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:03 AM

the term whitewash is degrading and insulting to me. i hate people judging someone by their appearance instead of getting to know them.

people who call people white wash is people who are judging someone by their appearance or they don't think that person meet their standards.. and do people really care what those narrowed minded people think? they aren't even worth knowing.. that's my opionion.

#31 HazelNuit

HazelNuit

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

White-washed is basically when a person of Asian ethnicity (or whatever ethnitiy) rejects their ethnic roots. It doesn't mean if you were Abercrombie or whatever or do double eyelids. It's basically an Asian person who doesn't want their Asian roots...like someone who doesn't speak the Language, doesn't do anything with their ethnicity and is the same as any other person..who isn't asian. But using it is wrong anyways...even though I use it -__-" because people are just White...and many differences..it's just that people don't choose to see them, because of appearances.

#32 Fayebelle

Fayebelle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:09 AM

...i never realized that it could mean so many things. i guess i should take more offense at it...but i always thought white-washed meant that you were really americanized.....i'm an ABC and can't speak any chinese....and a classmate (a chinese guy) called me white-washed.....its not that i'm rejecting my roots...but more removed from them...i wish i could speak chinese T.T although i take mando at school ^^

#33 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:14 AM

...i never realized that it could mean so many things. i guess i should take more offense at it...but i always thought white-washed meant that you were really americanized.....i'm an ABC and can't speak any chinese....and a classmate (a chinese guy) called me white-washed.....its not that i'm rejecting my roots...but more removed from them...i wish i could speak chinese T.T although i take mando at school ^^

...And that's why many Caucasians take offense at the term. White =/= Mainstream America.

newwavedreamer - <3 Excellent post~ clapclap

#34 Topnotch(LAUJ)

Topnotch(LAUJ)

HI....HI..

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^true.....kind of sad if you can't even speak your very own language.....,,,,,,writing on the other hand is alittle bit hard

#35 Cinnamon Hearts

Cinnamon Hearts

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:48 AM

I think the calling someone 'White Washed' is really mean. :sad: Like serously, i'm born in Canada, but i speak fluently in chinese, im into the chinese traditions and everything. i know some people say that if your born in a place like the US or Canada that you're pretty much white washed forever, which is untrue. people say some asians are white-washed simply because they're friends with caucasions. that's totally mean, cause there are plenty of asians that are friends with caucasions, i dont think that means that they're white washed. Seriously, I don't think that wearing brands like abercrombie is considered being white washed... plenty of people wear it, so do i, but that doesnt mean im white washed. i went to Hong Kong a while ago and i saw Abercrombie clothes there... i dont see wats wrong with that.. i mean, i think that a true white wash is when they think asain cultures and stuff are stupid and they neglect thier asian roots. i dont think it depends on what they wear, what color thier friends are or anything. :slant

Edited by Cinnamon Hearts, 03 November 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#36 kungfuKid001

kungfuKid001

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

it's really sad to see asians see no problem with wearing abercrombie. as if the label being racist against asians is not a good enough reason to boycott abercrombie. when you say you don't care about the racism the label spits out, it tells me the lack of respect for yourself and your people. therefore, you're just as bad as the asian pornstar being labeled a "me luv u long time"who doesn't give a flying flick how white people see asians as. how can people say they see no problem with it when the label is directly making humor at your exspense.

i'm not saying white washed people are bad or below me, but they can be. :harhar

I feel that whatever race you're born in you have a duty to yourself and your people to to uphold pride and honor.

using this term because i do not want to assciate myself with someone who i will keep on is whitewashed whether it be from american culture or whatever white culture. if that person wants to be white washed it's fine with me, but don't give me "i care about my race" if you're gonna go along with those white poeple who hate you or see you as beneath them.

i acknowledge whitewash is an offensive term but as long as someone is, i'll call them that. just like how i call someone a idiot even if they don't like, cause the fact of the matter is, they're still an idiot.

Edited by kungfuKid001, 03 November 2006 - 10:57 AM.

#37 digitaloatmeal

digitaloatmeal

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

Personally, I hate the word white-washed. For example if an asian is wearing abercrombie she is known as white-washed. I wear it but I don't consider myself white-washed. When people get double-eyelid surgery people say it's white-washed. Did white influence this or do people just simply want bigger eyes? Is there even such a thing as "acting white"?

EDIT

The reason why I brought the clothing thing up is because a couple of my friends called me white-washed and it's all over AsianFanatics. I only remember a couple of people calling me white-washed because of the way I dressed that day. I speak Chinese, I watch the dramas, I've only dated Asian guys, and I use chopsticks once in awhile (:. I embrace the Asian culture but I also embrace the Caucasian culture as well. The only time when I call someone a twinkie is never... or in a jokingly way.

To me, white-washed simply means that the person has lost all of his/her culture/individuality and is now acting more like a white person than who he/she really is. There's really no problem to it...at least that's my opinion.

#38 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

I wish people would stop saying that those who are "white-washed" act "white" - how the hell do you act white? A white American will talk, dress and act completely different to a French white who would be different from an English white, who would be completely different from a Russian white...

Just because people share the same physical attributes doesn't mean they all act the same.

And people keep on bring up abercrombie clothes... I'm white, but I've never even *seen* abercrombie clothes. At the moment, Abercrombie & Fitch is an exclusively North American brand... so how can people generalise that because someone wears this brand, they must be white? Afterall, it's limited to one continent! And as far as I know, Europe is 'white' too.

Asians don't all act the same, Africans don't all act the same... so why is there this generalisation that all white people follow the American mainstream trend?

It's one thing to say someone's Americanised, but 'white-washed'? How can you group 43(-ish) countries with different cultures together under the term 'white'? Apart from similar physical attributes, we're all different!

-___-;

Edited by Sakuraso, 03 November 2006 - 08:03 PM.

#39 ピンクガール

ピンクガール

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

I don`t believe you can act another race. You are what you are. When you grow in the specific environment, you live it.

I always shop at Aeropostale, PacSun, Hot Topic and more. I`m not White/Caucasian/European.

#40 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

I don`t believe you can act another race. You are what you are. When you grow in the specific environment, you live it.

I always shop at Aeropostale, PacSun, Hot Topic and more. I`m not White/Caucasian/European.

lol, definitely not European, considering all those shops are exclusive to America =P