Asian single eyelids vs. double eyelids

315 replies to this topic

#281 skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Double eyelids make your eyes more sexy, cuter and more attractive.

Single eyelids make your eyes look really boring, sleepy and dumb.

Sorry, no offense, just my opinion.

#282 mushroomcheese

Leehommmmmm :)

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

Recently I went to Korea and saw that the real commoners in Korea are not like what we see on the tv. I was told by the tour guide that you can RARELY find a natural beauty in the Korean entertainment industry. 99% have their face done.

All I saw on the streets were the smallest pairs of eyes I've ever seen. Guys and girls all have small eyes and single eyelid. Their kind of eyes are SERIOUSLY NOT ATTRACTIVE. Perhaps out of 100 people walking passed me, only 1 has 'normal-sized' eyes OR inner-fold double eyelid. Kinda pathetic.. That's why Koreans doing double eyelid surgery is a super common thing. The ones with 'normal' and bigger sizes on the street might lead you thinking if theirs is 'done'.

Personally I prefer double eyelids. I think it's attractive to have round eyes and double eyelids usually make people look more freshed, no sleepy and droopy eyes, and bigger eyes are beautiful. E.g. Horikita Maki. She did a double eyelid surgery. They look naturally though, and they're inner-fold kinda double eyelid.

Eyes are the windows to one's soul. Big eyes are mesmerizing, don't you think? But not so frightening like Ayumi Hamasaki's. Has anyone seen the difference between her before and after?!?!!?! SHOCKING I TELL YOU <_<

#283 Artificial Sweetener

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

^^ Im sure thats very badly generalized....i mean im not korean but i know some awfully pretty natural korean girls.

theres on korean girl that is so unbelievably pretty she turns heads, like celeb kinda stunning. and not surgery either.

and plus hyori lee is naturally stunning too if you look at her young photos shes gorgeeeous.

so all the koreans ive ever seen have been quite attractive, however i cant really say all of them are stunning because that would be silly, just like the assumption you're making.

Edited by Lets get drunk darling!, 06 October 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#284 mushroomcheese

Leehommmmmm :)

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:28 AM

^ Well I was only saying those I've seen on the streets of Korea. I am not talking about all Koreans in total. But when you see those on the streets, it's a high chance that general Koreans are like that too, isn't it.

Not only you, I've seen a fewww natural Korean beauty in Korea. Koreans they take care of their body very well, especially the face. They won't go out without make up. Most of them consume Korean ginseng-related products for health and beauty. It's true, even the guys do that. My tour guide says that Korean women put on at least 8 layers of skin care everyday before they go out LOL.

Single eyelids may look good on people, but not on some. It really depends on their overall face features. There are single eyelids that are cute and hot!

#285 your--HEROine

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

I know right.
I think the double eyelid doesn't matter at all.

I could get attracted to the eyes.
It doesn't have to be double lids.
But to me, it doesn't play a big role.

#286 13th hour

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:00 AM

View PostSeiyagy, on Apr 2 2008 10 13 AM, said:

Posted Image

Tang Wei, she got double eyelids right? Although they aren't quite visible, nor does she have big eyes. But yet she’s a stunning good looking woman *drools on keyboard

Her eyes there look like they are half single and half double. Her eyes are like mine and I always thought mine were 50/50. or am I wrong? lol

This is what I consider single and double.
Posted Image

and hers look like half and half hahah. XD

#287 AxelValentine

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

I had heard that the eyelid surgery was one of the most popular plastic surgery options in Japan.
Frankly, I like the no-crease eyelids much more. Probably just because it's a nice change of pace and something different to see, lol

#288 Annjhelica

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

well, i dunno why.. but i think having single eyelids is pretty cool.. no need to feel bad about what you have..

#289 animalcrackerz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

haha i think that double side tape or glue for eyelids is SO stupid..
my best friend uses it and i tell her shes stupid all the time ahaha
we are complete opposites.. my eyes are real big compared to hers and mine are double eyelids
hers are tinyyy..kinda slanted n single eyelid..so then she tries to do her makeup like mine and use glue
but its like..why not just be happy with what u got? just cos u have small eyes doesnt mean ur not pretty, plus its just not natural to use glue on eyelids O_O jesus christ..

#290 skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

View Postanimalcrackerz, on Dec 3 2008 10 47 AM, said:

haha i think that double side tape or glue for eyelids is SO stupid..
my best friend uses it and i tell her shes stupid all the time ahaha
we are complete opposites.. my eyes are real big compared to hers and mine are double eyelids
hers are tinyyy..kinda slanted n single eyelid..so then she tries to do her makeup like mine and use glue
but its like..why not just be happy with what u got? just cos u have small eyes doesnt mean ur not pretty, plus its just not natural to use glue on eyelids O_O jesus christ..

Yeah, so true. I am a guy and I often ask myself, why the hell do those girls use these eye glues/taps??? They are unnatural and the feeling got something unnatural on your face is very disguesting for me. I mean, if they put the glue down, they would look totally different and that is what they want? omg....i can´t say anythign else than stupid ... sorry no offense

#291 rabbitXdog

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:32 AM

about the taped double eyelid, it looks like a painful process though...I mean, having that stick digging back and forth into your eye socket to get the lid glue together '_' I sometime wonder if the person blink too much, or if the glue just doesn't glue so well and reveal the single eyelid on 1 eye, wouldn't that be awkward? '_' Sorry if this sounds stupid but that image kept appearing in my mine ^_^*
btw I have 1 1/2 eyelid...or what so ever my mom calls it. So I'm both single and double eyelids, it just weird.

#292 lzrfce

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

I'm happy I have double eyelids.
People always tell me my eyes are huge.

But if I had single, I don't think the surgery or tape is worth it.
One is risky, the other sounds painful.
Love yourself.

#293 lalaaa(:

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:19 AM

Double eyelids are definetely popular in Asia right now, but I think single eyelids are VERY special too. Most of the times, westerners define the 'asian' look as having single eyelids.
I think single eyelids are very beautiful too.

#294 Azure!

Graaay <3

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

I personally think that double eyelids look better than single eyelids. That's why many people are going to a lot of trouble taping their eyes with the eyelid tape thing to get double eyelids or even resorting to surgery.

But then, some people look amazing with single eyelids so I suppose it depends on the person.

#295 chi♥

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

lol yea asians do love to go for the big eyes to get the cute look?
noticed it a lot in korea really ><

but the one thing i hate is when english people classify all chinese people as having single eyelids and do those things with their eyes and im standing there thinking my eyes are actually naturally quite big for a chinese person and on one eye i seem to have a 'third eyelid' where i have a random line so my eyes cant be that small ¬_¬
but apart from that i dont see the big deal over the eyelids stuff

#296 t3a

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

View PostJiAn, on Dec 12 2005 8 21 AM, said:

believe it or not... my left eye is double eye-lid and my right eye is single eye-lid. 1 double and 1 single... looks kinda funny. both my parents are having double eye-lid. my brother has double eye-lid. however, my sister has d same situation as me... 1 double (right) and 1 single (left). lol... kinda strange

OMG I have that too! Hate it! Sometimes I just get so frustrated with it. I'm a dancer and I get so annoyed when for performances I have to wear a lotta makeup, especially eye makeup, and it's annoying when one eye shows my eyeshadow and the other doesn't!

Anyway...to answer the general question...

I think people are just obssessed with whatever it is that they don't have. Asian people generally have tanned skin and single lidded eyes, therefore, when they see something different (pale skin, double eye lids) they freak out.

#297 missy310

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

i have double eyelids and i love them so i feel like i cant hate on those girls who tape or glue or surgesize theirs cos i would never know how they feel about it. plus its a personal opinion, no? why not do it if it makes u feel sexier? isnt it just like putting on fake eyelashes or dyeing ur hair a different color? it changes ur look!

but i do love guys with single eyelids for some reason. some guys can really pull off the look

#298 -kam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

not to sound like a total outsider..
but what are double eyelids...?

#299 ~Minty~

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

View Post-kam, on Jan 21 2009 12 14 AM, said:

not to sound like a total outsider..
but what are double eyelids...?

http://www.drmeronk....lid-photos.html

Basically upper eyelid with a crease .

#300 golden_sunflower

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I don't understand why some people who want to alter their eyes to make them look bigger? I do not have double eyelids. I have the monolids and my eyes are pretty big. It makes me wonder why people are ashamed of their own culture and why they can't love and accept themselves for who they are. Getting surgery won't make your life better. You'll still have relationship problems, friend problems, or whatever problems you'll going to face in life. Most attractive people's lives are not perfect.

Even if you get the surgery, your eyes might not be as big as you like.

Some celebrities who you think had eyelid surgery might not really had surgery.

Edited by golden_sunflower, 29 July 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#301 yam21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:50 AM

my eyes are weird.. got single eyelid on the right and double on the left.lol... but havnt made fuss about it since i dont have that very chinkkyy eyes to make it very obvious,,,,

#302 Nominated

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

I have never noticed a difference, but once someone mentioned it to me, I was like - damn, single eyelids do look a bit different. But uhm ... I'm Asian, but I'm a guy - it doesn't matter much to me - but I can see why people want it.

#303 SNK_1408

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

View Postmushroomcheese, on Oct 7 2008 3 03 AM, said:

Recently I went to Korea and saw that the real commoners in Korea are not like what we see on the tv. I was told by the tour guide that you can RARELY find a natural beauty in the Korean entertainment industry. 99% have their face done.

All I saw on the streets were the smallest pairs of eyes I've ever seen. Guys and girls all have small eyes and single eyelid. Their kind of eyes are SERIOUSLY NOT ATTRACTIVE. Perhaps out of 100 people walking passed me, only 1 has 'normal-sized' eyes OR inner-fold double eyelid. Kinda pathetic.. That's why Koreans doing double eyelid surgery is a super common thing. The ones with 'normal' and bigger sizes on the street might lead you thinking if theirs is 'done'.

Personally I prefer double eyelids. I think it's attractive to have round eyes and double eyelids usually make people look more freshed, no sleepy and droopy eyes, and bigger eyes are beautiful. E.g. Horikita Maki. She did a double eyelid surgery. They look naturally though, and they're inner-fold kinda double eyelid.

Eyes are the windows to one's soul. Big eyes are mesmerizing, don't you think? But not so frightening like Ayumi Hamasaki's. Has anyone seen the difference between her before and after?!?!!?! SHOCKING I TELL YOU <_<

That's over generalizing.
99%? Man, have you ever visited China and Japan before? That's same.
General Chinese and Japanese publics doesn't even close being looking what you seen from their TVs and media. So does this mean, Chinese & Japanese celebrities have done 99% facial?

Double eye lid is even mire popular in Japan, this is where it all started off from.

There are many aspect of having double eye rid, one it makes you look less slanted thus less aggressive looking and other is for health reason.

For some Korean, their eye lid hair can poking their eyes thus many doctors recommend doubel eye rid to raise their eye rid hair.

Also, in today's Korean entertainment industry, having more westernized or southern looking is often looked as being cute looking.

I'm Korean and I don't have double eye rid but and don't need it.
My cousins have natural double eye rid, don't assumed all Koreans done their double eye rid.

#304 AsianShadow

Shadow Warrior

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

All I can say is. . .wow. . .
I had no idea Asian people were so obsessed about something as ridiculous as a pair of eyelids.
Seriously, be happy with the eyes you were born with, they're all beautiful.

#305 悪人

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:39 AM

I think it depends on the person whether double eyelids or single eyelids suit them. I have double eyelids but the fold is inward... Didn't know other fellow asians could be so obsessed with a single pair of eyelids. I think asians are beautiful regardless of what eye shape or eye lid type they have.

#306 anabella123

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

it's a personal choice. people do whatever they need to to feel better about themselves.

i have double eyelids, and my eyes are a little bigger than some with double eyelids. my cousin has one double and one 1 1/2. she's a confident girl - knows she's cute and been told by many she's cute/pretty. but she still get envious of my eyes. she recently bought a bunch of those double eyelid tapes - haven't try it out though. i'm kinda curious about how it would turn out.

so yeah, it's about what you, yourself think is beautiful and the length you're willing to go to get there.

#307 SongOfDarkness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hmm, apparently single eyelids make your eyes look fat, I don't really notice.

Apparently a lot of chinese people have single eyelids, and most chinese people I saw in HK did, but all my family on both sides have double eyelids :D So do most of my friends.

I have double eyelids but when I'm really tired I get triple eyelids :P

It looks plain weird by the way...

#308 golden_sunflower

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

About Hongkong people having double eyelid and mainland China having single is so b*llsh*t... I'm originally from Mainland China (Fujian), well not me, my great great grand parents... my parents came from Malaysia, and I'm born in Holland... and I have double eyelid!

It's true. People from South China are more likely to have double eyelids than people from mainland China.

#309 expert lurker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

About 40% of Asians are born with double eyelids.

I don't really give a damn about single or double eyelids but I like sharp almond eyes on girls.

#310 maybebaby*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:18 AM

maybe single eyelid asians want to look like double eyelid asians......and not!!!! to look more westernized.... bloody hell!

#311 IshBoo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

View Postpityfulblue, on Nov 14 2005 2 35 PM, said:

omgsh whats with asians and the obsession over double eyelids? are they really that important? seriously so many stars get it ie. AYUMI HAMASAKI!!! and i know some koreans practice taking a bobby pin and pushing is into their eyelid to give it a dent. And all my friends, mostly my guy friends, are so obsessed with omgsh im chinese and i dont have big eyes because my eyelids are single....its just so weird
i also agree..its pretty dumb because its just eyes..i mean use what your paretns gave you..i dated alot of different asian girls..which some had double and single..as for me im a hella of mix asian..i mean japanese chinese filipino..and alot of girls like my eyes..i just dnt understand..

#312 Kai6

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

single eyelids are a unique trait of the asian race. have you notice that no other race has single eyelis except for the Asian race. besides i think having single eyelids look quite sexy in a way. also you age less with single eyelids.

#313 Syn70

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

not exacttly...some latin people are single lid a well.

#314 Keiryu40

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

View PostSyn70, on Sep 4 2009 6 20 AM, said:

not exacttly...some latin people are single lid a well.

And Native Americans too.

#315 expert lurker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:19 AM

Because the ancestors of Native Americans (and hence many Latinos) are from Asia.

Asians who live in Siberia/northern-Asia develop single eyelids to protect their eyes from the sun (smaller eyes). Koreans and Japanese trace their ancestry to northern Asia and that's why a larger percentage of them have single eyelids (something like 70%+ as oppose to about 50% for Chinese).

#316 ENdlessReveries

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:10 AM

hehe seungri has single eyelids~ <3 and he is a sexyy man ^ ~

i also have single eyelid, even if i was given a free surgery i wouldnt change my natural look.

View PostKai6, on Sep 3 2009 5 26 PM, said:

single eyelids are a unique trait of the asian race. have you notice that no other race has single eyelis except for the Asian race. besides i think having single eyelids look quite sexy in a way. also you age less with single eyelids.

some americans have single eyelids... -_- i know one who does, so its not always just asians....its around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users