AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

What is THE best romance manga ever?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 tjrgus

tjrgus

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:58 AM

At this moment I'm pretty much between I"s and Ichigo 100%.

They both have their sweet moments, however, I found Ichigo 100% to be sweeter overall, whereas I"s seemed to be more realistic and catching of the feeling of attraction and crushes.

An interesting note is that Ichigo 100% is drawn by a female mangaka whereas I"s is drawn by a male mangaka.

I guess this is maybe why the male protagonist's feelings are better conveyed in I"s.

Ultimately I can't really choose.

I haven't finished Ichigo 100% completely, but for me, I"s is a better romance manga, while Ichigo 100% is a bit more fun to read.

#2 s031932

s031932

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

I absolutely love Hana Kimi! Another one is Itazura na Kiss. Both have been made into dramas, although Hana Kimi is still airing. Can't wait to see the rest. Read these and you'll know why I love them so much :worship

#3 Sylvie

Sylvie

Miss Lazy

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:29 AM

I seriously think that I's and Ichigo 100% aimed more toward shounen then shoujo, so when compare it with other manga... it's not even comparable.

If you want romance, go shoujo.

#4 summer_heat

summer_heat

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:22 AM

Wild Act by Rie Takada; I thought it was really sweet. The way the main characters just stick with each other through everything. I'd add more about why it's so sweet, but I don't wanna spoil it for people who haven't read it. The plot gets really interesting especially near the end. It was definitely a unique story, but it's aimed for older teens - an appropriate rating I think.

#5 sky88

sky88

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:43 AM

well... i'd say all the Yuu Watase mangas (fushigi yugi) are very good and the romance is awesome.. beside romance, theres a story too.. its hard to combine both and make them something out of it...

#6 jjforever

jjforever

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:08 AM

well... i'd say all the Yuu Watase mangas (fushigi yugi) are very good and the romance is awesome.. beside romance, theres a story too.. its hard to combine both and make them something out of it...

I agree. FY is one of my all time favorite; romance, fantasy, school, fighting, ancient...everything in one pack!! Also, so many likable characters, even some of the evil guys are hard to hate :P I also like some other mangas by Yuu Watase too.

My other favorite romance mangas are Marmalade Boy (cute) and Ranma (funny).

Edited by jjforever, 20 February 2007 - 03:08 AM.

#7 yuki-chan

yuki-chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

at the moment i love .... 'Emma' ... XD weird but i love it~ their love is like sweet in a way, where they don't care about what society thinks anymore ... though their were many obstacles ... but yeah ^^;;

#8 wiskie41

wiskie41

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Personally... my fav is Hot-blooded women. Its a korean manga that revolves about a gangster-like girl whose spirit got changed into another girl - but she got changed back... there are very interesting twists to the story! Its a must read... I'll rank it higher than hana kimi!

#9 Sara

Sara

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

I love Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and XXXholic!
Lovely art and Brilliant story!

#10 nigoat

nigoat

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:32 AM

Itazura na Kiss is awesome! funny cute and touching~ and so is the drama ISWAK..

#11 kwong

kwong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

Koppa Mijin no Koi by Yonezawa Rika.

B/c I can't type chinese and no one knows what it is. Here's a photo (suitable for all ages just in spoilers to consumes less space):
Spoiler

Delicious! by Miyuki Kobayashi was also cute. As well as Hime-chan no Ribbon

#12 PrometheusX

PrometheusX

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

Kenshin is sad? the only parts i remember being sad are the OVA's (done by a different person) anyways. I'm more into romantic comedies, so i'd say Love Hina, Ah My Goddess, or Ichigo 100% (btw Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is very good too, but more of adults only...)

#13 Wine & Roses

Wine & Roses

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

I think Kare Kano is a good romance anime. I don't usually watch animes, but this one is really nice! Any other romance animes else to recommend and where can I find torrent files for animes?

#14 AiMango

AiMango

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

My favorites in this category are Hot Gimmick, Kare First Love, Absolute Boyfriend, Aishiteruze Baby, and Hana Yori Dango.

Hot Gimmick, overall great plot, really unexpected things that happen.. i loved reading it x] Soo much drama, too XD

Kare First Love is your average romance manga.. well it started out pretty different from others, but it ended quite the same.. the artwork is very good though, very beautiful ^^

Absolute Boyfriend is humourous, but still has meaning XD its soo good, one of those manga that makes you want to be the main chara .. the whole idea of it is silly and interesting, its fun to read .

Aishiteruze baby, we all see it as one of those really cute series, but theres actually romance in it, between kippei and kokoro.. theres also some sad parts with that one runaway girl, overall i loved it.

Hana Yori Dango, better known as meteor garden from the taiwanese drama. i watched the drama first, goodness i kept renting the dvds one after another, LOL. hmm i wouldnt say this to be an average romance manga, it goes on for a really long time. events happen one after another, you just want to keep reading on and on ^^

I really liked Hana Kimi when I read the first bunch of volumes, i read the scanlations, but there was a chapter left out or something, and i got very confused.. idk, after that it got boring to me x__x i think it was around chapter 11x...

I seriously think that I's and Ichigo 100% aimed more toward shounen then shoujo, so when compare it with other manga... it's not even comparable.

If you want romance, go shoujo.

omg, i think so too>__> i didnt even like those series i watched the special for I's and read the 1st pat of the manga, i was like wow horniness.. for ichigo 100%, i watched the first few episodes of the anime, i dont even remember what happend but i know i stopped because it was either boring or had horny parts. these kind of "romance" anime are just for guys to look at and go oOoO nice tits or w/e; not to offend the thread starter or anything.

#15 serenitysdreams

serenitysdreams

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Urghh... I hated Ichigo 100%. It wasn't romance, I felt it was just pages and pages of horny pervertedness... Many mangas are way better in terms of romance...

I love Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and XXXholic!
Lovely art and Brilliant story!

I'm not sure Tsubasa and xxxHOLIC are really romance (there should definitely be more in tsubasa!!!) but yup, I love the story too!!... ^_^;;; but anyway.... my favourite(s) would be:

Hanakimi
Yuu Watase's works (Imadoki!, Absolute Boyfriend, Alice 19th... best romance being Imadoki!)
Arina Tanemura's works (Full Moon wo Sagashite!! And Shinshi Doumei Cross >_<)

Yeah... go shoujo, peeps!! ^_^

#16 d_c1135

d_c1135

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

one of the best mangaka ever is the one that wrote the manga for

Sensual Phrase

I swear to you it is one of the best Shoujo romance manga that i have ever read

Haou Airen

Love Celeb

I love all the mangas by Mayu Shinjo!

Hotgimmick
is not bad too...

Fushigi Yuugi

The sypnosis is not that great, but the manga/anime is really good and all the books by that mangaka

yup these are what i highly recommend for Shojo mangas... aka girl ficks.. romance stuff...

#17 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13472 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

i can't say lol because i love so many manga's but then i can't really place them into a catagory "romance" when i hear that word, i think of those romance novels! hahaha

but so far i really like the fluffy romance ones like:

kare kano
i wont say that escaflowne is one but then i really like it all the same

angel sancturay is the manga of all manga's. its my holy bible and i can care less that its incest at the moment since i didn't know how to read it back then lol i was so drawn into the art...it was amazing...but now i know. i take it quite seriously...

Hana kimi, i have that...but then its short.

there is another one i dont remember the name to but its quite sweet, when i get the english name i would come back here...

flower and dream mangas are almost always my favorite.

#18 Dark_Miko

Dark_Miko

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hm, that's hard to say since I'm starting to really get into shoujo manga, but some of my faves are:

Fruits Basket. Oh man this series is so good, definitely in my top 3. Who cares if there's some slight incest, the love stories are sweet and cute and sad and tragic and all kinds of good stuff. ^_^

Mars. Damn good series. Kira and Rei had a great relationship and it seemed very real. Plus they actually grew and matured and helped each other through so much, how can you not love this series?

NANA. Well, there's tons of romance in this series, but mostly through dysfunctional relationships. However, this is definitely in my top 3 because I LOVE everything about it: story, characterization, art....Ai Yazawa is awesome.

Host Club. The other one in my top 3. So far it's not quite a love story, but you see the various relationships progressing and turning into something more. I'm very interested to see what Bisco Hatori's gonna do with this series.

Hana Kimi. So good! I hear they're making a J-drama out of this, and if so, I can't wait to watch it.

Hana Yori Dango. I read the manga first and really liked it, although it was a bit long and tended to drag now and then. Still a good read and I LOVE the Jdrama. <3 Shun Oguri/Rui.

Snow Drop. Korean manwha, very tragic and Romeo and Juliet-esque, but it has a happy ending.

Hm, if I remember anymore, I'll post it here. Oh, and no offense to anyone here, but I could not stand Hot Gimmick. Ugh, I couldn't even finish the series because the main character was pissing me off so much. Their relationship was so crazy dysfunctional! Not sweet at all!

#19 teppanyakiboyz

teppanyakiboyz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

Ichigo 100% would be my choice, the drawing is nice...story is nice......definitely 100%

#20 Rainie_Karen

Rainie_Karen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

I have to agree, I also think I"s is really good

I also started to read Ichigo 100% once, but I stopped somewhere inbetween. If you say it's good then I consider reading it again ^.~

I also really like "The Cherry Project". i read it recently and it's really cute >_<
"Taranta Ranta" is also one of my favourites. Unfortunately it is so short T_T

"Mars" too, it's such a sweet story. Also sad, but the story is just so touching Q_Q

#21 endlessky ♥

endlessky ♥

明日は来るから

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3203 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

hehe, I'm glad to see that FINALLY some of my all-time favorite mangas are named!! ^^

Well def. in FIRST place is Mars!! I LOVE the manga SO much that I didn't even wanted to see the TW series in fear that I would start comparing them! ^_^' I really like this manga cause this is the FIRST manga that I've ever brought!! =D Also, I LOVE the ART that Fuyumi Soryo drew...AMAZING! And I'm def. forgetting to mention the AWESOME storyline!!! :iloveyou: How can anyone NOT get hooked?! lol Rei and Kira is TRUELY star-crossed lovers! ^^

And then NEXT in line is all the mangas by Yūu Watase!! It was actually Fushigi Yugi that got me STARTED in reading mangas!!! hehe, I LOVE these series so freaken much because I liked how it took place in ancient China and the storyline is so freaken goood! ^^ And then I moved on to Ayashi no Ceres which is ANOTHER freaken AWESOME manga! =D I LOVE Toya the MOST and this manga is SIMPLY a MUST-READ! :wub: Alice 19th and Imadoki! are def. NEXT on my list! ^_____^ hehe, the ONE thing that I LOVE about Yuu Watase is that she's such an freaken AMAZING drawer and I always end up falling in LOVE with her male characters and all her storylines are so original!!!!! :thumbsup

Other manga that was good are Fruit Basket (if that really counts lol) and Hana Kimi!!

Edited by lavender_rain, 15 May 2007 - 10:59 PM.

#22 joykimlee

joykimlee

WGM Joongbo addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

Absolute Boyfriend is the best - sweet, romantic, funny and so sexy it gets your hormones running everytime he tries to have sex with her. The only other manga I've read is Hana Kimi which is good too but Absolute Boyfriend is better.

If I like Absolute Boyfriend, then what else would you recommend that's as sweet, romantic, funny and sexy?

#23 Chaotic Requiem

Chaotic Requiem

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

I personally think the best romance manga is hanakimi. It has a really good story and character development. To me, good romance manga are always the shoujo mangas.

#24 BlackJade

BlackJade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

I really liked Kare Kano. Just the right combination of humor and romance.

#25 electricity

electricity

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

Mars was pretty spectacular. I also really really liked Marmalade Boy.

HanaKimi was entertaining, but it seemed more like a sitcom than romance...

#26 sChiZoO14

sChiZoO14

►DMJ♥CSY◄

• News Crew
  • 38098 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

"Itazura na Kiss" .... i love how Kotoko changed Naoki and also it wasn't finished so the ending was a cliffhanger...

#27 nob0xerson

nob0xerson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:56 AM

if by nice you mean a romance thats sweet, funny and not very dramatic then i recommend rough, katsu!, parallel, gacha gacha, kimagure orange road, h2, lilim kiss, maison ikkoku, midori no hibi, pretty face, and theres more like love hina and ichigo 100% but u prolly read those already.

#28 tlnrs

tlnrs

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

hana kimi and wjuliet xD

forgot to add.. these two are on cross dressing.. yuup^^ i enjoyed them tremendously =P

Edited by tlnrs, 27 September 2007 - 08:51 PM.

#29 Preia

Preia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:05 PM

Try Salad Days. It composes of a lot of different short romance stories. Definitely thumbs up.

And Princess is a good romance manhwa, though it's quite long. Still ongoing.

#30 engeeoh

engeeoh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:19 PM

I love Love Hina :] It's sweet and funny. If you read that before, you could try Marmalade Boy. It's a kind of weird plot (or to me) but it's still nice to read. It's about stepsiblings that fall in love with each other.

#31 hana kimi

hana kimi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:09 AM

I recommend Ultra Cute Series!Its very romantic and interesting,Its about I guy called Tamon and a girl called Ami.Ami likes tamon but later Tamon and Ami are now dating!If you want to know more read the book called Ultra Cute!

#32 QiuEr

QiuEr

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:03 AM

the first one i read was hana kimi, and it still remains one of the best for me... i love you're so cool as well... a very different twist to the plot... MARS, tsuki no toiki, tsuki no shippo... cant lose you too... the artwork's beautiful...

#33 tatjana

tatjana

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

I have to go with
1. hana yori dango--absolutely my favorite manga of all time.. its very romantic/heartwarming/cute/funny/sad/..i can go on and on.. the relationship btw tsukushi and tsukasa is really something, and you just keep rooting for them to be together...

2. Mars-also very good.. romantic and sad--ray and kira are perfect--badboy and a goodgirl--what a match!!!

#34 Listomar

Listomar

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

Wow.

I can't believe no one mentioned my favourite romance manga: Maison Ikkoku.

It's great, if a bit old. Funny and heartwarming.

"She burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries and turns to ice, but when she laughs.... The world is mine" - Yusaku Godai

I really recommend it to anyone interested in romance mangas.

The other romance manga I've read is Ichigo100% (though it's more like a harem-manga), which has probably the cutest drawn girls ever. It's a little ecchi (pervy), but it fits with the story. Teenage boys ARE pervy.

I've also read Love Hina, which was... well, it was good, but not great. Had some great moments, but overall it wasn't even near Maison Ikkoku, or even Ichigo100%.

Those are the only mangas that were categorized as romance mangas that I've read, though there's a little romance in every manga.

#35 cheebear

cheebear

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

I recommend MARS! It's soo good. I was hooked onto it, the attraction between the two was wow. I told my sis to read it and she couldn't stop. It's a must-read!

#36 lordtains

lordtains

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

Well, I'm a guy so its logical that I prefer Shounen manga(so to those saying: if you want romance go shoujo: shut up!).

And my most favourite is I"S because it explains really well how most guys think. I also like ichigo100% a lot even though it was less serious and (because there were three girs) even for te reader it was hard to choose(personally I think: TSUKASA <3 but also kitaooji.....and toujo last).

Suzuka was prety good too(hated the ending). and ofcourse CLAMP stuff like CHOBITS.

I"S all the way.

#37 Ondore

Ondore

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:25 AM

[I give comments only to those that i have already read]

I''S<--First Manga that i've read
Rating: [7.9/10]
It's really cute, Good Story too, though somehow, i find it redudant.. If you just look at the drawings, then naturally you'll think its just pervy.. but then again..
I still love it..
And i dont recommend comparing the Anime to Manga...

Ichigo 100%
Rating: [8.2/10]
Can't Say so much about this.. What I like about this is its ending.. 'cause from the start
I thought Tsukino would really be the best one.. And it ended the way i anticipated it..
(Though, others might say Toujo, Kitaoji... would be better)
The Story is good too 'cause in the later part.. it shows how they became responsible and mature persons... it's not just all about the pervy stuffs

Aishiteruze Baby
Rating: [8.3/10]
Cute---- Story is good too.. taking Care of Yuzuyu(A cute little girl) seems to have a positive effect on anyone.. I wonder if it would have an effect on me..
Anyway.. What i liked about this one is how the manga artist delivered the story using yuzuyu(So cute) as the bridge for almost everything..
The lovestory bet. kippei and kokoro is kinda cute too.. coz kokoro is like the serious type of girl which.. <omitted explanations>... many guys would like

Kare First Love
Rating: [7.5/10]
Some kind of Mature Love Story, though the protagonist are young..... i think it's their culture.. i dont know.. just love the story too.. and the heartbreaking scenes.. Y_Y

Lilim Kiss
Rating: [7/10]
This one's great too.. though it is just short and the story doesn't add so much romance, heart touching scenes (i think it's in ecchi category), the girl in this one looks like toujo aya, oh, and did i mention it's short...

R.E.C.
Rating: [7.4/10]
Haven't seen this one? Hmm... It's Good but i lacks something.. I can't seem to find out what..

Beast Master
Rating: [7.6/10]
Good, the guy here looks like L of Deathnote, The girl is cute.. Short but cute and nice story..

Honestly, i have read quite a few.. though cant put them all here.. this are just according to what i like more.. and to mention they were the only few that i have already finished reading..
Currently Reading:
Mars
Gacha Gacha - Capsule

Please.. Share more... Thanks..
And Also the new ones,, and where can i get them..
More power to you,, all.. ^^

Edited by Ondore, 24 July 2008 - 04:26 AM.

#38 sirenDagger

sirenDagger

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:36 AM

Aww man, I have a lot at mind actually but the ones I can think of at the moment is Beast Master, Ouran High School Host Club, and Red River (aka Anatolia Story).

Beast Master - Soft comedy, sweet, innocent pure love.
Ouran High School - Very funny! Refreshing and full of mocking jokes. A lovely romantic comedy that is also REVERSE HAREM - Need I say more? ;-)
Red River - action packed, fictional history, Bishounen, very romantic and well plotted. Good art too!

#39 allanon256

allanon256

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

I love Special A manga the best because it's not only funny. But Hikari is very determined at beating Kei and even if he calls her Ms. Rank 2, she still continues to try to beat him. Also, having him as competition didn't stop her from liking him.

#40 Astraea Mérieux

Astraea Mérieux

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'd suggest Akuma De Sourou by Takanashi Mitsuba, Itazura na Kiss by Kaoru Tada, Zettai Kareshi by Yuu Watase if you're looking for shoujo.

Akuma De Sourou is undoubtedly one of the best mangas ever. It was adapted into a TW drama called 'Devil Beside You' but is definitely much more better than the drama.

Itazura na Kiss was pretty good too. I didn't really like it much. Kotoko's love for a guy that treats her so coldly is beyond me but it still had it's sweet moments nevertheless. Especially the time when he kissed while she was sleeping under the tree & lots more. I guess I was always more of a supporter of KotokoxNakamura & KotokoxKeita but that's just my preferences. All-in-all, the manga was pretty good.

Zettai Kareshi was good too. Though I found the starting a little too weird, I began liking it eventually. Riiko wasn't really the best of heroines that I've known but she was realistic enough. Night was the perfect guy but oh well............Soshi was pretty good for her too. The ending though, was what I really liked about this manga. Guess I've always been more fonder of sad endings.

Anyway, I don't really read a lot of manga so I'm not much of an expert on the topic. I hope you like these :D

Edited by Astraea Mérieux, 13 July 2010 - 11:44 PM.