AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Is Singaporean law really strict?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

I remember in the '90's hearing about a young American male who went to Singapore on vacation and did some vandalism-and was caned for it.

Is caning how most crimes are punished in Singapore?

#2 ~Minty~

~Minty~

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1260 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

They are really strict with drugs over there, so never bring in/out or use drugs there; if you are caught you would be dead.

There was an Asian Australian who was caught with drugs in Singapore, he was hanged, if I didn't remember wrong),even the Australian Prime Minister had tried to help him and there were many Aussies who signed their names in some websites trying to get them to spare him the death sentence but it didn't work.

#3 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

The American who went to SIngapore and was caned was all over the news in the States-but I don;t understand why the American media was making a big fuss over it.

But why is law in Singapore so strict?

#4 Roy88

Roy88

Supreme Leader of my Life

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:00 AM

lol, Singapore laws are strict to minimize crimes.

That's why laws are there in the first place.

i heard that chewing gum or littering can get you the same result

Seriously, where did you get that information?

Chewing gum or littering will get you a fine.

The only crimes I remember which are punishable by canning, are raping and taking (legal and non-legal) drugs.

The American who went to SIngapore and was caned was all over the news in the States-but I don;t understand why the American media was making a big fuss over it.

America back then thinks they are the world, so for Singapore to cane that American 'brat' is like a slap to the Americans' face.

They are really strict with drugs over there, so never bring in/out or use drugs there; if you are caught you would be dead.

There was an Asian Australian who was caught with drugs in Singapore, he was hanged, if I didn't remember wrong),even the Australian Prime Minister had tried to help him and there were many Aussies who signed their names in some websites trying to get them to spare him the death sentence but it didn't work.

He knows the laws, he knows he will get caught and he still willing to risk it..... :thumbdown

hmmmm.....sounds very similar to the case of canning of that American 'brat'.

#5 chemcutie

chemcutie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

yes singapore law is stict to an extend... it depends on the crime.... somehow the law in singapore is good in a sense that it is well defined... (no sudden changes, no exceptions etc...) and it really help the society... for eg. kidnapping results in life imprisonment... this really deter those pple who wan to kidnap ... unlike some countries where u kidnap and kill the hostage , u still can be let off...

Just to let u noe some points....

Caning only applies to guys, not gals... even so they oso see the medical conditions of the criminal...
Chewing gum is ban unless it is for dental purposes or for those who want to quit smoking....
although there appears to be fine for littering, no one really gets charged for it (unless ur damn unlucky)... :lol?:

#6 kaviii

kaviii

is camera shy....

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:56 AM

What's this caning you guys speak of?

Does it mean death by punishment?

Caning is when you Vandalise or Rape

Death is when you kill someone or smuggle drugs

#7 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:16 AM

Do you know what a rattan cane is?
Pic: http://en.wikipedia....Rattan_cane.jpg

From wiki:
Rattan canes especially are used to beat someone, generally on the buttocks or the palm of the hand, as a form of physical punishment, specifically known as caning both domestic and judicial, and traditional in various cultures, notably England and many nations of the Commonwealth.

In Singapore, healthy males under 50 years of age can be sentenced to a maximum of 24 strokes of the rotan (rattan) cane on the bare buttocks; the punishment is mandatory for over 30 offenses, mostly violent or sexual crimes, but also some immigration violations, drug violations and acts of vandalism. It is also imposed for certain breaches of prison rules. The punishment is also applied to foreigners, despite controversy in the West.

Two examples which received intense media scrutiny are the canings in Singapore in 1994 of Michael P. Fay, an American student who had vandalised several automobiles, and in the UAE in 1996 of Sarah Balabagan, a Filipina maid convicted of homicide.

None of the following persons shall be sentenced to caning: 1) women; 2) males sentenced to death; 3) males whom the court considers to be more than 50 years of age.

History of caning in Singapore:
Caning was introduced to Singapore by the British when they controlled Singapore as part of their colonial empire. More than one thousand male criminals are caned in Singapore each year for both violent and non-violent offences such as vandalism, overstaying one's visa or illegal immigration.

Edited by RoyFang, 14 February 2007 - 07:22 AM.

#8 friedice

friedice

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:29 AM

It is NOT death by punishment. It is this:

Posted Image

and this is the result:

Posted Image

#9 The Prodigy

The Prodigy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

Singapore has strict laws, but it's all for good reason. I for one wish that The US has some of their policy of punishment.

I remember going to Singapore when i was young, i couldn't chew gum because it was illegal and littering was illegal as well, i really support this law especially since i came for new york city.

#10 nakata07

nakata07

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:36 AM

that's y singapore has the lowest crime rate in the world

#11 lifeiselsewhere

lifeiselsewhere

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Raping is by the far the most common crime in Singapore punishable by caning. The minimum number of strokes receivable is 3 and the maximum is 24. If one were to receive 24 strokes of the cane, he does not get all the 24 strokes at once but spaced out over a period of time. Perhaps this is the reason why the number of rape cases reported in a year is quite low, numbering from 10 to 20 with a population of about 4.5m in Singapore.

For offences such as chewing of gum and littering, one will get a fine and corrective work order for littering for repeat offenders. However, it is very unlikely that one will get caught for chewing gum as the police usually turns a blind eye towards it unless one does it in their presence. Even then, the offender will usually get away with a warning. For littering, one will get a fine of S$150 for the first offence and he/she needs to attend counselling. For repeat offenders, he/she will have to attend corrective work order whereby he/she will have to clean up certain public areas such as parks or beaches.

The Singapore government views drug-related offences very seriously and drug traffickers usually face the death penalty depending on the amount and type of drugs they traffick. This is because the Singapore government does not want drug traffickers to use Singapore as a transit point due to the strategic location of Singapore. In previous cases, many drug traffickers smuggle drugs from Holland to other Asia countries using Singapore as a transit point.

#12 Beckkie

Beckkie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

Singapore has strict laws, but it's all for good reason. I for one wish that The US has some of their policy of punishment.

I remember going to Singapore when i was young, i couldn't chew gum because it was illegal and littering was illegal as well, i really support this law especially since i came for new york city.

Littering is illegal but not chewing gum. You can chew gum in Singapore, it's not illegal. What you can't do is to bring gum in large quantities into the country or sell chewing gum here. Chewng gum spat out on floors, stuck on elevator buttons or between the doors of buses and trains gave the government a huge headache in the past - gum is not easy to remove and they can jam doors. A lot of money and time was wasted cleaning up the mess and malice created by gum chewers and pranksters. It was a bold move to make - to ban something so "harmless" as chewing gum but looking back now, I think, the government did the right thing.

#13 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13472 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

I remember in the '90's hearing about a young American male who went to Singapore on vacation and did some vandalism-and was caned for it.

Is caning how most crimes are punished in Singapore?

lol i think i know someone who knows the mother of that guy who got caned...they talked about it before and i was like...what an idiot...you dont go over someone elses country and just vandalize it and think you would get the same punishment as the states...you are over thier country, you follow thier laws...

But why is law in Singapore so strict?

they are making a big fuss about it because they dont have the same rules/laws...its a form of humiliation really. i can care less. i think they did a good job. teach them that the law sticks!

Chewing gum or littering will get you a fine.

i thought that gum chewing was banned from singapore? i guess they brought gum back??

either way i wanted to go visit singapore one of these days, would like to know the laws here and there so that i can avoid these mishaps...

i dont find them strict at all, they have very low crime rates...unlike the USA... :noclue

#14 nakata07

nakata07

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

they do allow chewing gum if its for dental purposes. so u'll need a prescription or something.

#15 deathnote12

deathnote12

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:35 PM

my uncle lives in singapore and from what i have heard you can get prosecuted for littering and chewing gum so i guess it is really strict but that is why singapore is so clean

#16 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:01 AM

i thought that gum chewing was banned from singapore? i guess they brought gum back??

You can 'smuggle' them in, as in hiding it somewhere on your body or in your bags. Lol.
My relatives once 'smuggle' chewing gum from Malaysia and gave some to me.

Other than that chewing gum in Singapore is for dental purposes and for smokers to quit smoking (if I'm not wrong) but a prescription is needed.

Edited by RoyFang, 16 February 2007 - 01:02 AM.

#17 Linda Shirley Sheh

Linda Shirley Sheh

Sexually Confused

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:27 AM

they are very strict you get the death penalty if you have drugs on you no matter what the reason is so you better be careful if you have medicated drugs ith you they could keep you in jail for life

#18 lifeiselsewhere

lifeiselsewhere

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:20 AM

they are very strict you get the death penalty if you have drugs on you no matter what the reason is so you better be careful if you have medicated drugs ith you they could keep you in jail for life

I think your comments are both inaccurate and misleading.

The law in Singapore is indeed strict but the death penalty only applies to those who smuggle illegal drugs such as heroin into Singapore. If you are in possession of heroin, the only reasons that you can give are that you are either an addict or you are smuggling them. In any other cases, you should not even have any heroin with you.

If you are on special medication, you can obtain a doctor's endorsement as proof.

To sum it up, if you have not done anything illegal you have nothing fear even if it is the death penalty.

#19 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

Why are you from? Mars?

Or is it that your understanding of the difference betwen medicated and illegal drugs is limited?

Edited by RoyFang, 16 February 2007 - 02:00 PM.

#20 noelnoel

noelnoel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

sorry to say.. if you cannot get your facts correct
its better to keep the comments to yourself

#21 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13472 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

i think this person posted just for the sake of afz's and stupidity...

medicated drugs? L-O-L nuff said...
if you have a doctors note on you, im sure you would be excused...

so what do you say about older people who are tourists who just want to site see?? are they going to be throwin in "jail for life" just because they have a few medications to take?? you make no sense...

jail for life? do they even DO that? :loool:

#22 ThisVietDude

ThisVietDude

I love sex with monkey's

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

It was a viet/aussie that try to sneak drugs in singapore and got the death penalty of hanging. He only did it to support his poor family and he doesn't deserve to get that punishment. f*cking singaporean try to slip a fast one on us vietnamese...we will fight them back...we ain't wussy.

#23 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13472 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

It was a viet/aussie that try to sneak drugs in singapore and got the death penalty of hanging. He only did it to support his poor family and he doesn't deserve to get that punishment. f*cking singaporean try to slip a fast one on us vietnamese...we will fight them back...we ain't wussy.

er...i highly doubt it was a crime of hate towards vietnamese like you imply it to be so. it could probably be an african american, a chinese, a hispanic, i doubt they care. they only care that someone was smuggling something "bad" into thier "low crime country" and to show people that they will not get off for it, or tolerate such behaviors, they did what thier laws stated...

dont hate all singaporeans for it. though he was trying to support his family. there are other jobs he could have taken...he was bound to get caught one of these days. its just so unfortunate it was when he was so young.

#24 ThisVietDude

ThisVietDude

I love sex with monkey's

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Ooo lala they think their country is so clean, low crimes, and special...and look on everyone as dirty scrums countries, that is what they are.

#25 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:31 AM

Ooo lala they think their country is so clean, low crimes, and special...and look on everyone as dirty scrums countries, that is what they are.

Ooo lala, typical mindset like some of the Chinese mainlanders. lol!

Yeah continue with the thinking that Singapore is aganist you, they done you wrong and you should fight back.......

Edited by RoyFang, 17 February 2007 - 02:23 AM.

#26 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:39 AM

lol, Singapore laws are strict to minimize crimes.

Yes, but don't you think that is a bit extreme? Am I the only one who thinks that?

Is they did that in the US, they would call that assault.

#27 Roy88

Roy88

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:41 AM

Yes, but don't you think that is a bit extreme? Am I the only one who thinks that?

Why is that assault?
Its not like you pick someone from the streets and tell him/her to cane the criminal, it is done by professionals in the prisons.

Whether is it extreme or not, that is your personal opinion.

Edited by RoyFang, 17 February 2007 - 01:43 AM.

#28 aHg3r

aHg3r

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

I for once think that Singapore's rules are not strict at all. Well you may say that we singaporeans are biased and would definitely stand up for our own country.. But I think otherwise.. Yes, many people have told me that Singaporean's rules are too extreme and crazy! But why do you people think that way? Isn't it better that a country has set good laws so that they would be able to better govern the people in the country?

Taking fining for instance, yes, if you litter, be it just a little piece of paper that you have no use for, it's still gonna cost you SGD500-1000. Many people would say that Singapore's government is out to eat people's money but I don't think that way, like for me, I'm currently in America studying and sometimes I see people just tossing litters outta their cars without even having a second thought. Would it kill to just walk say a few seconds to the rubbish bin to throw your litter? That's for a better and cleaner place for people to live in!

So whether or not it's extreme. I don't think so :)

#29 lifeiselsewhere

lifeiselsewhere

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

No doubt this person did it to support his family but surely not at the expense of causing harm to others? He wanted money but he wanted it the fast and easy way and this is the price he has to pay for it.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions. I believe there are supporters of the death penalty for such cases even in the US. Anyway, every country has their own sets of laws. If you wish to visit the country, then you have to abide to their laws.

#30 Onigiri Sensei

Onigiri Sensei

ASIAN 4 EVER

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

yea dats wut i meant,buddie
i jsut ahd a typo
i meant to say
vandalizing is bad in da first place

Edited by aznhonor, 17 February 2007 - 10:59 PM.

#31 aHg3r

aHg3r

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:27 AM

lol. i guess every country has their own laws. and people who goes to others' countries should obey and abide by the country's laws and regulations.. regardless whether or not they are too extreme or whatsoever. each country has their own way of doing things.. so i guess.. ya. :)

#32 chuppy

chuppy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

singapore i really strict. u cant even bring chewing gum or bubble gum. its banned in there.

#33 aHg3r

aHg3r

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

it's for our country's cleanliness.. you don't see a lot of gum stuck on anywhere :D

#34 crazy4sushi

crazy4sushi

feed me sushi ^.^

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2217 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

actually sometimes its good to have strict laws thats what makes the world more peaceful, Singapore is a realli clean place with the lowest crime rate so it proves that strick laws can have some positive affects

#35 viet4life

viet4life

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:07 AM

I think Singapore is the best place to live and safe also, compare to the states where the law is not harsh and people can get off easy on jail time or not at all.

#36 香港鬼仔KDM

香港鬼仔KDM

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:51 AM

I was living there when that happened, and (in my opinion) he deserved it.

"The American who went to SIngapore and was caned was all over the news in the States-but I don;t understand why the American media was making a big fuss over it."

They reckoned it was a violation of his human rights, but it was the law, and even still, they have the death penalty in the US, that's not a violation of a human's rights?
OK, so maybe not the same thing, but you understand what I'm talking about, From memory there was a Singaporean kid with him who got 20 lashes (the yank kid only got 10 if I remember correctly) but the yanks didn't seem to care too much about the Sing kid's rights.

I agree

no, caning is like whipping you with a cane (a really thin stick, like a reed)

Do you realise how unhinged you sound? it was a legal enforcement of Singaporean law on someone who broke it, not a declaration of hatred against the Vietnamese. You really need to calm down and think a little. Besides, Van Nguyen, was Australian by nationality and born in Thailand (as far as I can work out from google), so he really had nothing to do with Vietnam.

no, it works. You don't want to get caned, don't rape anyone and don't spraypaint someone's car.

No doubt this person did it to support his family but surely not at the expense of causing harm to others? He wanted money but he wanted it the fast and easy way and this is the price he has to pay for it.

agree

singapore i really strict. u cant even bring chewing gum or bubble gum. its banned in there.

so?

#37 Kuna

Kuna

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:01 AM

the only thing i heard bout singapore was tha tchewing gum is illegal

Thats exactly the reason why i brought gum when i traveled to Singapore.. and gave some to my cousins ... muhahaha. Really, they don't care that much especially if you're a tourist. As long as you're not selling it and get back out of the country soon (tourists), then they don't care.

#38 Disturbed_munky

Disturbed_munky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:01 AM

Michael Peter Fay.... he deserves it! you live by the rules, you die by the rules.

as for cases of drug smuggling, they had been given ample reminders to declare any illegal

possessions in the airport. fair and square, they have been warned but they chose to test the

system. fine, you live by the rules, you die by the rules.

instead of commenting that our law sucks, learn something from us because it has proven to lower crime rates.

go singapore! woohoo!

#39 allyloveshaowei

allyloveshaowei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

Michael Peter Fay.... he deserves it! you live by the rules, you die by the rules.

as for cases of drug smuggling, they had been given ample reminders to declare any illegal

possessions in the airport. fair and square, they have been warned but they chose to test the

system. fine, you live by the rules, you die by the rules.

instead of commenting that our law sucks, learn something from us because it has proven to lower crime rates.

go singapore! woohoo!

I agree with disturbed_munky!
its your fault if you don't obey our laws, after all you're taking the risk.
GO SINGAPORE!

#40 Annjhelica

Annjhelica

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2814 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

haha. i think it's really strict. coz i have a singaporean friend, and whenever she tells something about their laws, i was like: OMG!!!! really????