397 replies to this topic

#361 ShivahN

ShivahN

imafatface!

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

If your only using it for school, i would recommand getting a 10" ASUS Eee PC notebook.

#362 Nixie

Nixie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hello ^^

I'm looking for a laptop,

Criteria:
light weight, or at least it won't be too heavy when i carry it around for 2 hours (it takes me that long to get to school, I'm thinking of a mimi laptop)
No or less lagging when multitasking

I'm not going to use it just for school, I'll be using it for personal usage as well.
anyway, laptop brand recommend for me?

and what program would you recommend for anti-virus protection?

Thanks in advance ^^

#363 popo

popo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hello ^^

I'm looking for a laptop,

Criteria:
light weight, or at least it won't be too heavy when i carry it around for 2 hours (it takes me that long to get to school, I'm thinking of a mimi laptop)
No or less lagging when multitasking

I'm not going to use it just for school, I'll be using it for personal usage as well.
anyway, laptop brand recommend for me?

and what program would you recommend for anti-virus protection?

Thanks in advance ^^

There are full grunt lap top that are still "light" comparable to a mini but not as much battery power. You may want to think about those instead of mini.
(unless you pay for it with serious money, it would be ~2kg)
There are "free" anti-virus like AVG which are pretty good. Or the anti-virus that comes in a dell bundel is not bad neither.

#364 Nixie

Nixie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:01 AM

There are full grunt lap top that are still "light" comparable to a mini but not as much battery power. You may want to think about those instead of mini.
(unless you pay for it with serious money, it would be ~2kg)
There are "free" anti-virus like AVG which are pretty good. Or the anti-virus that comes in a dell bundel is not bad neither.

I see... thanks for suggesting.
Maybe I should go to some of the local store and check it out a little more!! ^^

#365 Bowltofu

Bowltofu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:39 AM

If you're going to be using your laptop at various places ie. carrying your laptop with you to various places to use such as work, uni, etc then definitely consider portability as an important priority. I made this mistake and thought a 15" 2.6kg+ laptop wouldn't be too heavy carrying it to uni. I couldn't be more wrong since carrying that weight over an extended period of time really adds up. I now wish I got a smaller laptop (11"-13") and lighter - preferably around 1.5kg up to 1.8kg max.

#366 natleumas

natleumas

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

Macbook/Macbook pro/iPad is the way to go. You can boot up on both windows and mac, you can really do what you want.

No virus issues.....most applications are open source.

It is something you can really consider. (they have just release the new version of macbook pros)

#367 cyansky

cyansky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

I bought an Acer icore 5 laptop with a 17.3" screen recently and so far I'm very satisfied. It has very good spec for the price. With the same price other brand can only get a icore 3.

#368 popo

popo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

I bought an Acer icore 5 laptop with a 17.3" screen recently and so far I'm very satisfied. It has very good spec for the price. With the same price other brand can only get a icore 3.

acer seems to be very good spec for the same price.
I have bought a lap top and netbook from them.
The lap top has a key fall out, LCD problem on one boot but not repeatable. I don't know whether other people has problem with acer quality. I suspect it is the same as other brand.

I am still pretty happy with both machines for the price I paid.

#369 da_freak

da_freak

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Lenovo is my top pick.

#370 rebel316

rebel316

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:39 AM

I kind of want to get an Alienware M11x and get rid of my current asus gaming laptop. It's too big to fit in my backpack if I need to carry it for a trip or something, but it bothers me that Alienware is Dell. Maybe I'll wait to see if they update the processor and I can still get a good config for under $1K.

#371 lolwhat

lolwhat

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:59 AM

i've always been a fan of the macbook pro, but if it had to be windows, lenovo's are built exceptionally well

#372 livia208

livia208

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

can some one help me PLZ and thank you

What is a good lightweight laptop for graphic designer? yeah i am using the laptop mostly for school stuff .. but i used it for other stuff to like gaming and download a lot stuff

any thing but the macbook cause it's a bit pricey and i cant afford it or any type of laptop that is around the same price as a macbook i wont get either cause yeah bit too pricey .

maybe this can help u guys think of whats good for me :

1. laptop must be lightweight.. i travel a lot and most laptops are just too heavy to carry around every where i go.. i have looks at net books ... i love the size of those but other then size they dont function very will

2. the laptop must have really good clear graphic and function very fast so i can multi task and open a lot of different program to used at ones and it won't lag or freeze. like for example if had the internet on , msn , flash , photo shop , illustrator and some times pc/ online games .. have all that running at ones the laptop wont lag or freeze ..

just wondering would a really good gaming card make the graphic any better ? (or are those called graphic cards ? )

i have a hp laptop with a dual 2 processor that i share with my family ... its ok but at time its still slow especially when i load alot programs at ones.. or when i download alot of stuff

Edited by livia208, 08 June 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#373 Momocha

Momocha

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:05 AM

hp sucks!!!!! compaq=hp=still sucks! get a Mac book Pro they good and good still.

#374 nob0xerson

nob0xerson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

can some one help me PLZ and thank you

What is a good lightweight laptop for graphic designer? yeah i am using the laptop mostly for school stuff .. but i used it for other stuff to like gaming and download a lot stuff

any thing but the macbook cause it's a bit pricey and i cant afford it or any type of laptop that is around the same price as a macbook i wont get either cause yeah bit too pricey .

maybe this can help u guys think of whats good for me :

1. laptop must be lightweight.. i travel a lot and most laptops are just too heavy to carry around every where i go.. i have looks at net books ... i love the size of those but other then size they dont function very will

2. the laptop must have really good clear graphic and function very fast so i can multi task and open a lot of different program to used at ones and it won't lag or freeze. like for example if had the internet on , msn , flash , photo shop , illustrator and some times pc/ online games .. have all that running at ones the laptop wont lag or freeze ..

just wondering would a really good gaming card make the graphic any better ? (or are those called graphic cards ? )

i have a hp laptop with a dual 2 processor that i share with my family ... its ok but at time its still slow especially when i load alot programs at ones.. or when i download alot of stuff

this is the laptop i been looking at ASUS UL30Vt-A1. it weighs a little under 4 lbs and has a 13 in screen, the best part about it is the battery life which is rated at 12 hrs but im guessing it would probably last around 10 which is still really good. it has two graphic cards, an integrated one which uses less power and a nvidia geforce 210m for games and 3d application. dunno if thats enough for graphic applications but based on one review it could run counter strike source easily.

btw if you're not in a rush to buy a laptop right a way i would wait a couple of months because intel is coming out with a new processor for laptops this summer and better laptops might come out or prices for these old ones might drop. hope this helps.

Edited by nob0xerson, 09 June 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#375 bigminh

bigminh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

I personally prefer Toshiba as it could run on the all versions of windows I put on, not like many others. good on price but a bit poor on battery life. may be they have been improved by now!!

#376 rabbitinpumpkin

rabbitinpumpkin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

A lot of people don't like Dell, but I've had one for over 8 years and it's still going.

However, if you travel a lot, then you probably want something lighter like a Netbook or a slim line. I prefer Asus in that case.

#377 birdyblue

birdyblue

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

you would go for Compaq, dell, Asus.dell, compaq has good customer service n the laptop good quality too. asus best quality

#378 breeze

breeze

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

Omg india just invented a new touch screen laptop that costs 30 dollar to make, thats a must buy for school.

#379 billywong

billywong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

I recommend Toshiba laptop. I have try Acer, Sony, Dell and HP; none of them is on my next shopping list.

#380 justinlo

justinlo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

This is a old thread but I want to put in some recent reviews of mine for laptops.

If you want a super small laptop with wifi and just to surf the web, check email, do home work, study, watch downloaded movies, and very very light gaming, go for the Dell Mini 10v with the battery upgrade. Its a 10.1" LCD, less than 3-4 pounds, and has awesome battery lifetime. I bought mine for $199+shipping after patiently waiting for a good dell coupon combined with ongoing dell sale. Dell came out with some newer models and raised the price. Im sure you can find the older models cheap on their outlet site for used/refurbished. I bought 2 laptops from the outlet with no problems and saved a lot of money. Whats good about the dell mini or any laptop really, if you want to get some more performance, just buy a SSD(solid state drive) and replace whatever hd is in the laptop. Just make sure you buy a fast one, and read reviews to make sure. There are too many in the market that has poor performance but the price is what drives people to buy them which defeats the purpose of upgrading the hard drive.

Now if your into gaming, the obvious things you need to look for is a laptop with a good-really good Nvidia/ATI video card. The onboard intel video card is junk, and you will not be able to play most of the new releases of games. Make sure you upgrade the memory after buying the laptop and max it out if its 4GB/8GB. When you buy the laptop online, dont worry too much about customisation;. Stick with all the basics if possible like ram and hard drive, upgrade the battery if you need to lug the laptop around, Purchase your ram and hard drive or SSD on newegg or your favorite sites. I dont recommend buying any warranty packages, those are such ripoffs, however most laptops only have a 1 year warranty.

#381 kca

kca

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Something portable, not to big and heavy... Lenovo :)

#382 I Am Vick

I Am Vick

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:54 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron - completely reccommend it to others. I've had an Acer before and it ended up completely wrecked.

I'll never get another Acer.

#383 SkyHD

SkyHD

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:03 AM

i hav been looking around the net to find myself a nice n good laptop but i dunno how to choose a good 1 for myself.. i hav not been updating myself with all laptop stuff.. if u guys out here hav any idea on which laptop is better n wut specs should i get n where can i get it cheaper< dell or compaq>? so on and so far.,thanks

I suggest you to get yourself a laptop that costs around $400 - $500. You can get Dell, HP, Lenovo, MSI, or Asus.

With this price you should be able to get:

-at least AMD or Intel Dual Core Processor @ 2.6GHZ
-4GB of RAM
-Built Web Cam
-250GB Hard Drive or More
-Wirelless N

#384 sushiroll

sushiroll

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

any reviews on any toshibas laptops? are they good laptops?

#385 lionheart

lionheart

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:00 AM

my cousin and i uses Dell Alienware m17x for schooling

#386 stan__ly

stan__ly

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

I would recommended IBM ThinkPad, but since Lenovo took over the quality has gone down lot. My T500 did not last more then 2yrs. I had 2 old IBM ThinkPad that still works today. My recommendation with be Fujitsu.

#387 seanTa101

seanTa101

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

it really depends on the budget ie how much you are willing to pay for it and how you would use them. For DVD, surfing net. I would go for a cheap one like dell but also consider acer too.

#388 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

I recommend an Asus laptop, its reliable and well made. Mine has Power4Gear cooling technology and its very efficient and quiet when it comes to cooling. Highly recommended!

#389 ★cinnamon_coffee

★cinnamon_coffee

我相信

• Forum Seniors
  • 1406 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

any reviews on any toshibas laptops? are they good laptops?

I have Toshiba Satellite L40-14f and it's a very good laptop :thumbsup I've had it for 4 yrs and now the system it's starting to hang a bit from time to time but as long as I don't overload the disc C: with programs and apps, it's fine. That laptop has the best keyboard out of all laptop keyboards I had a chance to use - it's not 'soft', like in other laptops (as in, the whole keyboard stays firm instead of lowering its level during typing, which happens in other laptops and which I dont like). I didn't have any problems with it so far and I feel it's worth the money spent on it.
The next laptop I'm gonna buy will be a Toshiba as well.

#390 Smash0124

Smash0124

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:03 AM

I've had a Toshiba Satelite that I bought in 2008 and still have it now. its a core 2 duo 2 Ghz with a 512mb video card, and its still running from this date

I bought it for 960.00 with tax. dvd rom works, 2 USB ports are gone, got 1 usb port left, and I do take care of my stuff, the laptop itself is glossy and still looks brand new. My co-worker see's me bringing it in all the time and thinks I had just bought it yesterday. The plastic that goes around the outside perimeter of the screen is still stuck on lol opps forgot to take it off and even the plastic for the web cam on the screen is still stuck on.

Right now I bought this ASUS

http://www1.canadaco...&item_id=039751

its an i5 2.3 Ghz, got 8 gb of ram in it now, I bought a 4 gb stick for 14.99 g skills, its a 1 gb vid card, the screen itself is 1080p, blu ray rom(not a burner), but will burn dvd's, 3 usb 2.0, 1 usb 3.0

I love it as well, paid 916 during boxing day Dec 26th

HP's I wouldn't go for HP's for multimedia, its not something for myself, they fall apart easily and don't last as long.

#391 BeInspired

BeInspired

-{Life is your melody}-

• Forum Seniors
  • 6210 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

From what i have seen of fellow peeps in my uni batch, most of them own a ASUS laptop.. so I'd assumed it's reliable. I haven't used one yet except for my dad's netbook so I can't say so for sure. But judging from the number of people using and buying it, I think it's worth a try.

For myself I have been using DELL for a couple of years... the old one last me 7 years, but that's because back then I don't play HD /huge-sized games (and also back then games didn't need high RAM or CPU usage). The last one i had was an ACER which I would never ever recommend no matter how much they have "changed" or "improved". Once it leaves a bad impression on me I would steer clear of that brand forever. Im currently using a DELL laptop, so far so good except for occasional heating problems...the keyboard is a little insensitive after prolonged usage so that's another downside to it. i'm 2 years into using it and so far no problems like blue screen of death or hardware-wise.

#392 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

From what i have seen of fellow peeps in my uni batch, most of them own a ASUS laptop.. so I'd assumed it's reliable. I haven't used one yet except for my dad's netbook so I can't say so for sure. But judging from the number of people using and buying it, I think it's worth a try.

For myself I have been using DELL for a couple of years... the old one last me 7 years, but that's because back then I don't play HD /huge-sized games (and also back then games didn't need high RAM or CPU usage). The last one i had was an ACER which I would never ever recommend no matter how much they have "changed" or "improved". Once it leaves a bad impression on me I would steer clear of that brand forever. Im currently using a DELL laptop, so far so good except for occasional heating problems...the keyboard is a little insensitive after prolonged usage so that's another downside to it. i'm 2 years into using it and so far no problems like blue screen of death or hardware-wise.

lol my last laptop was an Acer too.... It was bad because reliability was an issue, well it failed! The power plug was a bit poorly made too because its a bit too big and it messed up the power socket after a few years of plugging and unplugging. Then some of the USB ports stopped working, the DVD drive stopped working too. Then the hard drive failed. Really bad brand... Best to avoid unless you like visiting the repair shop.

I have an Asus, its very well made and seems like a quality product. The keys feels nice, the design is great, wonderful Altec speakers with amazing sound! and the super quiet and efficient Power4Gear cooling is very good. The cooling system is not too hot, the fan is not noisy at all and its just very good! Asus is highly recommended.

#393 lalamao123

lalamao123

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

i would recc Asus too.. superb gfx and speed.. but.. of course.. with great power .. comes great prices.. LOL

#394 Meow ♡

Meow ♡

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

If you're looking for something cheap, get a Netbook.. about 10-11 inch.

If you want something more fancy with great performance, get Macbook Pro. Yes it's expensive but it's worth it. If you're a student at a University, you get a 10% off discount.

#395 Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hot*Treasure*in*the*Snow

Hungry Vampire <3

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dell.

#396 Francis Joseph

Francis Joseph

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

sony vaio with gaming graphics card. ugh. it was better than this toshiba p745 im on i bought this year for half the price with allegedly better hardware.
that vaio was close to the specs search for p745model 4012 i think and seee but this thing is a piece of trash that fucks up a lot whereas i wasn't even close tot his knowledgable in 2009 when I got that vaio and it should probably have ended up messed up with all the crazy stuff i put it through but it was amazingess. ill look for the product name and number and see if its still floating around for sale on web in these last few years maybe its mad cheap--long story toget to the stupid point--if it is mad cheap id buy this older vaio model.

#397 kaleung

kaleung

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

macbook air 11inch with 128GB SSD

also have an 15inch HP core I7 which is 2 years old. think of upgrading that one also or may consider upgrading the hd to SSD

#398 Diego Viet

Diego Viet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

I love HP series. The one I'm using is Pavilion g7-1350dx which I bought it for $400 at Best Buy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users