109 replies to this topic

#1 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:34 AM

I'm a new fan of Ueno Juri, well, I instantly became a fan when I saw her in, of course, "Nodame Cantabile". That was it for me, and I'm now in the process of scourging the web for anything and everything about her. What surprised me was how amazingly talented and down-to-earth this person is. Her acting in Nodame Cantabile is amazing, because not many actresses have the charisma and the talent to do comedy, however her dramatic acting is quite remarkable too. I didn't know she was in Orange Days (one of my fave Jdoramas) her acting resume is quite impressive. Love the quirky, cute and funny side of her in Nodame Cantabile. She seems to be such a sweet girl in real life.

Here's her wiki profile:
credits to wikipedia
Posted Image

Juri Ueno
(上野 樹里; born 25 May 1986)

a Japanese actress from Kakogawa, Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. She won the ‘Best Newcomer’ prize at the Japanese Academy Awards in 2005 for her role in Swing Girls.

* Height: 167cm
* Place of Birth: 兵庫県 / Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan
* Talent Agency: Amuse
* Interests: Music, cooking
* Skills: Sprinting, tenor saxophone

Filmography

Movies

* 2008 - Naoko (Naoko Shinomiya)
* 2006 - Arch Angels (Fumio Shijo)
* 2006 - 7 gatsu 24 ka dôri no Kurisumasu (Megumi Kamibayashi)
* 2006 - Niji no Megami Rainbow Song (Aoi Sato)
* 2006 - Shiawase no suitchi (Shiawase no Switch) (Rei Inada)
* 2006 - Deguchi no nai umi (Minako Narumi)
* 2005 - Summer Time Machine Blues (Haruka Shibata)
* 2005 - Kame wa igai to hayaku oyogu (Suzume Katakura)
* 2004 - Swing Girls (Tomoko Suzuki)
* 2004 - Chirusoku no Natsu (Mari Sugiyama)
* 2003 - Joze to tora to sakana tachi (Kanae)

TV Dramas

* 2008 - Last Friends
* 2007 - Jodan ja nai! (Eren Takamura)
* 2006 - Nodame Cantabile (Megumi Noda)
* 2006 - Tsubasa No Oreta Tenshitachi (Ryoko Shimojo)
* 2005 - Kindaichi shônen no jikenbo - Kyuketsuki densetsu satsujin jiken (Miyuki Nanase)
* 2005 - Engine (Misae Hoshino)
* 2004 - Orange Days (Ayumi Kirishima)
* 2003 - Okaasan to issho (Kaori Matsui)
* 2003 - Teru teru kazoku (Akiko Iwata)

Awards and Nominations

Awards won

* 51st Television Drama Academy Awards - Best Actress for Nodame Cantabile
* 28th Japanese Academy Awards - Best Newcomer for Swing Girls
* 59th Everyday Movie Sponichi Grand Prix - Best Newcomer for Swing Girls, Chirusoku no Natsu
* Yokohama Film Festival - Best Newcomer for Swing Girls

Edited by francesca, 27 August 2008 - 02:38 PM.

#2 joan_qt2004

joan_qt2004

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

Posted Image

* Title (romaji): Jodan ja nai!
* Format: Renzoku
* Episodes:
* Broadcast network: TBS
* Broadcast period: 2007-Apr-15 to 2007-Jun-??
* Air time: Sunday 21:00
* Theme song: Hug, Hug, by Oda Yuji

Synopsis

A home comedy in which Oda Yuji will play a 40-year-old man who marries the 20-year-old woman, Ueno Juri. He will find out that his wife's mother(Ohtake Shinobu) is his former lover.

Cast

* Oda Yuji as Takamura Keita
* Ueno Juri as Takamura Eren
* Tanaka Kei as Tomoda Satoshi
* Naka Riisa as Hirose Karen
* Kanno Rio as Hirose Seren
* Morisako Ei as Hirose Miren
* Arai Kentaro (�井�太郎) as Yamada Akira
* Umezawa Masayo as Oonishi-san
* Taguchi Hiromasa as Yamada Motoo
* Kobayashi Susumu as Sasaki
* Ohtake Shinobu as Hirose Rie
* Kusakari Masao as Hirose Sohei
* Iijima Naoko as Nonomura Saeko

Posted Image

Synopsis of Ep1 from the official website:

Keita and Eren revel in their bliss in the French seaside resort town of Nice. Eren, who is twenty years younger than Keita, was born and raised in France and they are here to obtain her parents permission to marry. But, that is exactly the first step towards trouble.

The day before meeting Eren's parents, Keita meets an unexpected woman on the streets of Nice. She is Rie, the woman he had dated during his student days. The next day, Keita and Eren visit the winery that her parents run, and meet her father, Sohei, and three sisters in person. But when Eren's mother looks back with a smile, Keita is lost for words. His ex-lover is his girlfriend's mother?!? Keita is flustered but comforted by the fact that Rie lives in France and that they'd rarely meet again when he marries Eren.

Keita returns to Japan and finds further tragedy has befallen. His department has been cut back, a victim of his company's restructuring... ...

Juri-chan in Nodame Cantabile with Hishoshi-kun :iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou:

Third time is the charm!!!!
[

Edited by ka^leng, 23 July 2008 - 05:08 PM.
removd dead links

#3 joan_qt2004

joan_qt2004

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

more Juri-chan and Hiroshi-kun pics from Nodame Cantabile :rofl clapclap
Posted Image
Posted Image

Her expressions are really funny and adorable!! :buahaha
Posted Image

I guess with such an adorable face..no wonder Chiaki-sempai is crazy about Nodame...even if she doesn't take a bath everyday!!! :buahaha :shocked:
http://i21.photobuck...ebfeet/noda.jpg

Edited by katherinekwokhk, 30 September 2007 - 02:38 PM.
max 3 pictures per post.

#4 clumsysmurf

clumsysmurf

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:57 AM

I really like Ueno Juri. Among the current young Japanese actresses Ueno Juri and Erika Sawajiri are my two favorites. This girl really has a talent for comedy. Many actors can do drama okay but when it comes to comedy, they have problems. Ueno Juri is a person who can do both very well. Also, she is very charming and pretty. I am glad her new drama Jodan ja nai! is doing well. I hope to continue to see her acting in great dramas, especially Nodama Cantabile sequel :D .

#5 joan_qt2004

joan_qt2004

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

Her new drama is really doing well but like most of her fans I am trying my best to find out if there will be a sequel to Nodame Cantabile. I just think that she and Tamaki Hiroshi-san are wonderful. They definitely have chemistry together even if they acted in a very hilarious movie and there was not even a single kissing scene. :shocked:

Unfortunately, there's not much info I can find about her..or maybe there are but I can't read Japanese characters so I rely on translations coming from other forums. I was able to watch an episode of Bistro SMAP where she was a guest together with Tamaki-san...it was hilarious especially her interaction with Takuya-kun. :buahaha

#6 Simpleton

Simpleton

*Only Changmin*

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

Awww....I luved her as Nodame! She was so funni, dorky and sweet. She and Tamaki made such a cute and funni couple! Realli hope there will b a sequel! Cuz I wanan c a kissing scene! LUV NODAME CANTABILE!!!!

#7 ron7

ron7

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

hmm i havent watch NODAME CANTABILE yet. But i have watch swing gals. I think she got an award for best new comer. yeah she is really funny. i kind of like her. Maybe i will watch NODAME CANTABILE soon.

#8 Yukiee

Yukiee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

I've watch this dorama, its called concerto love in english. i think its a really nice dorama, a MUST WATCH!!!! Juri-chan is very hilarius in this show so is the male lead :D . Juri-chan is so kawaii clapclap

#9 ron7

ron7

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

ahaha im currently watching the drama. Well is funny but also kind too over do it sometimes cause it adopted from a anime if im not mistaken. My fren say the comic is much better

#10 thainok

thainok

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

sawaddee..ka

i really like juri as nodame , she so cute and natural...she lok like a child ... :iloveyou:

:iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou: love you juri :iloveyou: :iloveyou:

#11 twinkle05

twinkle05

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

she is soo cute .. i just finished watching nodame cantabile right now ... she is hella funny yet so cute n adorable at the same time .. i hope there is a sequel to this ...

#12 vanggirlie

vanggirlie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:13 AM

i found this bit of old news in jdorama. it was posted on may 2006.

The Latest Entertainment News

Comedian Fujimori Shingo (photo right, 23) and actress Ueno Juri (19) are the hot young couple of the moment. The pair were recently spotted leaving Fujimori's home by photographers from the women's weekly Josei Jishin. Today's issue of the magazine reveals they have been dating for about five months. Fujimori and partner Nakata Atsuhiko (23) make up the Yoshimoto Kogyo comedy duo Oriental Radio, who have stormed onto the variety scene in the last year. Their high-paced Buyuuden routine (the word means "martial story") has shot them to the top of the comedy ranks far quicker than most. Event though the term "wakaki geinin" (young celebrities) is used to describe the current ranks of comedians, most have spent years honing their skills on the theater circuit and are in their 30s by the time they become regulars on TV. And "OriRaji", as they are known to fans, have hardly pursued fame at the expense of their education - Fujimori is a graduate of the prestigious Meiji University, while Nakata is still studying at the equally elite Keio University. Ueno had her breakthrough in the 2004 hit movie "Swing Girls".

more Juri-chan and Hiroshi-kun pics from Nodame Cantabile :rofl clapclap
http://i3.photobucke...ew061024015.jpg

oh my, she's quite adorable and funny looking here. just too adorable.

newhoi'm probably one of the few but i wasn't a big fan of her as nodame. the character was just too cutesy and ditsy for me. nodame in the manga and anime is totally funny tho.

ok so yea i'm a huge fan of juri ueno. ever since i saw her in Tsubasa no Oreta. omg she was great in that one episode with the little boy. made me cry in that episode. plus i love her playing that kind of role...it suits her...the tough but lonely girl.

i'm surprised that there isn't a lot of fans of her out there too. she's a great actress.

i so wish she'd star as love interest opposite ryo and/or yamapi

Edited by vanggirlie, 15 September 2007 - 08:40 AM.

#13 kikko89

kikko89

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Does She REally know how to play the piano ?? :unsure:

#14 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

recent news on our dear Juri :)

credits to tokyograph.com

Juri Ueno enters "Second Life"

Fri, October 12, 2007 (2:57am EDT)

Juri Ueno enters "Second Life"
Fri, October 12, 2007 (2:57am EDT)
Posted Image

Posted Image

On Thursday, actress Juri Ueno participated in the first Japanese commercial filmed within the virtual world Second Life.

The ad, which is for Otsuka Pharmaceutical's health drink Fibe Mini, features an in-game avatar designed to resemble Ueno. Ten people were selected via the Internet to serve as "extras" for the commercial. The action took place on "Fibe Mini Island," which will be launched in-game at the end of this month. Ueno admitted that controlling the avatar was difficult, and the commercial had to be re-shot many times.

The finished commercial can be viewed on the product's official website starting on the 16th
On Thursday, actress Juri Ueno participated in the first Japanese commercial filmed within the virtual world Second Life.

The ad, which is for Otsuka Pharmaceutical's health drink Fibe Mini, features an in-game avatar designed to resemble Ueno. Ten people were selected via the Internet to serve as "extras" for the commercial. The action took place on "Fibe Mini Island," which will be launched in-game at the end of this month. Ueno admitted that controlling the avatar was difficult, and the commercial had to be re-shot many times.

The finished commercial can be viewed on the product's official website starting on the 16th

Source: Mantan web

#15 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Anyone heard an update about her latest movie?

Here's an old article i got credits to tokyograph.com

Juri Ueno to star in "Naoko" with Haruma Miura

Tue, July 24, 2007 (5:06am EDT)
In April, Nikkatsu Corporation announced that a film adaptation of the manga "Naoko" (written by Nobuhiro Sakata and illustrated by Yu Nakahara) was in the works. It was mentioned then that Juri Ueno would play the starring role, but a few more details have been revealed now that filming has begun.

The comic, which was serialized in Big Comic Spirits from 1993 to 2001, tells the story of a gifted young runner named Yusuke Iki. When he was a child, his father died trying to save a girl, Naoko Shinomiya. The two meet again unexpectedly, as Naoko has become a track and field club manager.

Although Haruma Miura will play the central role of Yusuke, Ueno is being billed as the film's lead, taking on the part of the title character. Interestingly, it has been noted that Ueno was herself a member of the track and field club until she entered show business in junior high; this film marks her "return" to the track after seven years.

Other cast members include Tsurube Shofukutei. Director Tomoyuki Furumaya ("Robocon") is helming the pic. The movie is scheduled to open next spring.

source: sports hochi

----
Some Cute Nodame expressions :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

you oughta love this girl:)

#16 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Another side of Juri:

Have you guys seen her in Tsubasa no oreta tenshitachi (Angels With Broken Wings / Fallen Angels)? She appeared in its first season. The talent of Juri is really unlimited, her character here is totally different from the nodame that we're used to. I've just started watching it. This was aired in 2006. I'm not sure though if it was before or after "Nodame Cantabile".

take a look: Juri's part
Episode 4 - Slot
Gist:

Shimojou Ryoko makes her living by playing slot machines. Abandoned by her parents when she was very young, Ryoko moved from one relationship to another, always seeking permanency and always disappointed. One day she woke up to find a small boy, Kentai, sitting in her room with a note from her boyfriend Kenji. Kenji, a host, asked Ryoko to take care of the boy for a few days. Ryoko, the person who has always wanted to be loved, is about to find out what loving someone is about..

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

#17 kookie315

kookie315

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:32 AM

She really is a great actress. Kind of, a breath of fresh air. Not that other actresses in Japan are bad, but she didn't hold back with the comedy and that was really awesome.

#18 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

Nodame is in Paris :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 ronacious

ronacious

HANA KIWI:Toma♥Rona♥Chun

• Forum Masters
  • 3183 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

arcanestillness, I wanna say thank you for all the infos you've been sharng with us in here! ueno Juri is my fave J-actress at the moment. discovered her in Nodame Cantabile. this girlreally has got talent! she is good in comedy and drama. even though it is only NC and the NC SP that I hve seen of her works. still, I know that she has talent. she made me laugh and cry in NC and NC SP!

I will watch her other series that you have recommended! thank you ! thank you!

btw, my friend is asking if the kiss in NC SP is her very first kissing scene??

oh btw, I just have to say that Juri has gotten a lot prettier nowadays...her beauty can be seen in NC SP!

#20 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:14 AM

I love Ueno!! She's great with Tamaki Hiroshi in Nodame Cantabile and I love her character. I think she's soooo gorgeous and that beauty mark... so cute!! I hope there's a NC season 2 because I think this type of character fits Ueno best... so funny!!

<3 her!!! My fave japanese actress besides Maki

I hope there'll be more news on her in this thread.

#21 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

i've just recently watched Nodame Cantabile and its SP and now i became a fanatic of it!! thanks to the great portrayal of the leads Tamaki for Chiaki and specially Ueno Juri for Nodame..i was really amazed on Juri for she did a very good job as Noda Megumi, just the way she talks and walks and on how cute her actions are is really bravo for me!! i've olready read the manga only up to volume 18 and i must say that Juri's just the same Nodame in the manga or probably cud even surpass that..she can easily do comedy and drama at the same time and i really admire her for that!! although she's not that drop dead gorgeous, but when she acts, she really shines!! just like every NC fan, im looking forward to seeing her again for a season 2!! i miss her silly antics and clinginess to chiaki-senpai!! mukyaaaa!!

yosh, just posting these scaps from the SP
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

mukyaaaa!! i somehow felt sad that juri-san's thread is not that active..

i'll just post some piccus then
reuploaded by me

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

I agree that the thread moves painfully slow. But isn't that true for most threads in the Japanese Entertainment Forum anyway? I come often to these threads but no one really posts often. I'm not much of a poster but more of a lurker ;)

Still, I would LOVE if more people could post here about news on Ueno Juri. I think she looks so cute with short hair. I wonder how she looks with longer hair. I'll probably try to google that and see if I come up with anything. Man, do I want a Nodame Season 2 or what?! I miss it sooo much now that the SP is done with. *sigh* She's so hilarious in that series... yet SOOO cute!

Edited by divyness, 31 January 2008 - 08:18 PM.

#24 vanggirlie

vanggirlie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

all those pics of juri is good. she's so cute. for some reason i always see her as elf-ish...i don't know why either.

i just saw on asianfanatics news that the girl from Proposal Diasakusen, Eita, and Juri will be in a new drama together. it seems like it's going to be a dark drama or a serious one. newho, i'm so happy to see these three in a drama because i love them as actors.

#25 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

I agree that the thread moves painfully slow. But isn't that true for most threads in the Japanese Entertainment Forum anyway? I come often to these threads but no one really posts often. I'm not much of a poster but more of a lurker ;)

Still, I would LOVE if more people could post here about news on Ueno Juri. I think she looks so cute with short hair. I wonder how she looks with longer hair. I'll probably try to google that and see if I come up with anything. Man, do I want a Nodame Season 2 or what?! I miss it sooo much now that the SP is done with. *sigh* She's so hilarious in that series... yet SOOO cute!

sou desu..the jap ent is kinda dead but now i think it's starting to come back to life again considering the many goodies coming up..demo still, it wud have been much better if juri-chan's thread is updated once in a while..
she definitely suits best in short hair!! well partly the reason is because im already stereotyped seeing her as Nodame..lol..plus i think having her short hair makes her look younger and cuter too..hihi..huwaaaa!! im missing it tooo!!! i want to see more of Nodame!!

all those pics of juri is good. she's so cute. for some reason i always see her as elf-ish...i don't know why either.

i just saw on asianfanatics news that the girl from Proposal Diasakusen, Eita, and Juri will be in a new drama together. it seems like it's going to be a dark drama or a serious one. newho, i'm so happy to see these three in a drama because i love them as actors.

that's a good news too and definitely wud be greatly anticipated since the stars are really famous and great artists too specially juri-chan!!! weeee!!

yosh, just posting piccus
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

Yeah... I miss NC. :down
Thanks meoinkie2 for the fabulous pics. I like Juri with colored hair like in NC. The black hair is okay but I think she looks better with a reddish color.

You guys know in NC how she wore those long dresses when she was in her first competition (I think) I wish they would have chosen a different dress. *just random thinking*

Is it just me or do you guys think her TEETH are really cute looking too? XD lol but I just really like the shape of her teeth when she smiles.

Edited by divyness, 24 February 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#27 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:21 AM

Yeah... I miss NC. :down
Thanks meoinkie2 for the fabulous pics. I like Juri with colored hair like in NC. The black hair is okay but I think she looks better with a reddish color.

You guys know in NC how she wore those long dresses when she was in her first competition (I think) I wish they would have chosen a different dress. *just random thinking*

Is it just me or do you guys think her TEETH are really cute looking too? XD lol but I just really like the shape of her teeth when she smiles.

her hair as Nodame is perfect!! :thumbsup

regarding the dresses she had for the competition, i thought so too coz for me they made her look like somewhat childish hence maybe the reason why Auclair-sensei called her Baby-chan..they cud have chosen at least a much more simpler and formal dress but i guess they're just fitting it with Nodame's personality..of the three dresses she wore, my very fav is of course the one she wore on the finals..she looks like a princess well more like Scarlett O Hara (although i have no idea who she is or how she looks like..lol)
Posted Image

i also like the way she smiles!! :thumbsup

#28 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:35 AM

is it just me, or it's really just freaking quiet here?? waaaaa!!
oh well, might as well post some scans..
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

I like that she wears dresses alot... or at least from what I usually see =) I think it suits her.

And yes meoinkie2... it's been quiet. *crickets* But that's okay!! Still love seeing the pics you post! Thanks!

I love the picture of her in the white skirt and black floral(?) blackish top. :D

#30 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

hello:) thanks guys for pics & updates of ueno juri.

this one's old news but an update nonetheless.
credits to the Japan Times Online

Friday, Feb. 22, 2008

Manga road runner sprints to big screen

By MARK SCHILLING

Ekiden — marathon relay races — may not be unique to Japan, but the sport has become uniquely popular here, with the biggest races, such as the Hakone Ekiden for university teams, garnering Olympic-like media attention and TV ratings.

So it's no surprise that "Naoko," the latest in a long line of Japanese battle-to-glory sports movies, should be about a high-school Ekiden team, from a fictional island in Nagasaki Prefecture.

Remember "Hoosiers," the 1986 David Anspaugh film about a team from Nowheresville, Indiana gutting their way to the state finals with Gene Hackman as the rough-edged coach? It's the same idea. Only this time the coach is Tsurube Shofukutei, the jolly, earthy, massively out-of-shape comedian, and the team's star runner is played by Haruma Miura, who looks like a manga artist's impossibly beautiful dream of an athlete even though he can run like the real, blazing-fast deal.

The film's story, however, centers on the title character, Naoko Shinomiya, the team's new co-manager. She is played by Juri Ueno, a bigger marquee name than Miura, whose credits include her 2004 breakthrough film "Swing Girls" and the 2006 hit TV drama "Nodame Cantabile." This character is also the focus of the manga on which the film is based, which ran in "Big Comic Spirits" magazine from 1994 to 2001.

This makes "Naoko" a first of sorts, since sports movies — "Hoosiers" included — never revolve around the guys and girls who hand out the towels and bottled water. Those people are instead nearly always used as dorky comic relief.

But Naoko has a back story that sets her apart. When she first visited the island as a 12-year-old girl with her parents, she fell off the fishing boat taking her to port and the ship's captain drowned while rescuing her. She too took the disastrous plunge because she was distracted by the sight of a boy running on shore: Yusuke, the captain's son. The boy is devastated by his father's death — and blames Naoko for it. Six years later, in Tokyo, she sees Yusuke (Miura) again — now an elite runner with Olympics prospects and reintroduces herself. He says he is no longer angry, but she doesn't believe him, and for good reason.

Through a series of improbable, if typically manga-esque, plot twists, she finds herself the new co-manager of Yusuke's team, which is preparing for the Nagasaki high-school ekiden. Yusuke clearly resents her presence, but with the support of the avuncular, unconventional coach (Shofukutei) she plugs on.

In a Hollywood movie, the dramatic arc would come from the budding romance of Naoko and Yusuke, but in "Naoko" that arc flatlines early on. Instead of the bloom of young love, the story revolves around Naoko's attempts to win Yusuke's forgiveness, symbolized by her passing him a bottle of water — and him accepting it. In her first, freelance attempt to hand him water during a race, he refused it — and lost. Now that she is his manager — an official water giver, so to speak — will his attitude change?

Director Tomoyuki Furumaya beefs up this thinnish premise with sub-plots, including the portly coach's health crises, the struggles of the team's weakest runner and the rivalry between Yusuke and the pony-tailed ace of Nagasaki ekiden's top-ranked team. But the relationship of the two principals stays static and standoffish, with Yusuke loping effortlessly ahead of his teammates like a young god, as Naoko looks on, her lovely brow furrowed, wondering how to chip away at his shell.

Furumaya films the big race — staged as Naoko's final chance for closure — as a series of manga panels, complete with cartoony running styles and corny monologues from the runners ("Now show them you can run!" etc.) Some of the running sequences, particularly the duel between Yusuke and his rival, are dynamic and lyrical. The climax, though, feels preordained and flat — we've seen too early and too clearly what is coming.

Ueno plays Naoko with an appealing dedication — even her running is passionately expressive — but she can't effectively widen her narrow role. My solution? Switch the sexes of the two principals, but let Ueno's character keep her basic dilemma. An ace runner in a race with, not just her rivals, but a demon from her own past? Now that sounds like a movie.

such a cutie, this girl, and so talented. But she's so private & low profile, i couldn't dig any news about her lovelife. but she looks great with tamaki hiroshi though.

cute pics to enjoy :)

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#31 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

such a cutie, this girl, and so talented. But she's so private & low profile, i couldn't dig any news about her lovelife. but she looks great with tamaki hiroshi though.

clapclap I agree, I agree.

So wait... the movie "Naoko" doesn't have any romance developing between the two? *is watching trailer* Awww... but that would've been nice.

"can't effectively widen her narrow role"?? I'm sure time will tell. I think she'll get into much more diverse roles in the future because she's just so talented.

#32 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

thank you for the piccus and article arcanestillness!!
like divyness, i've watched the preview of Naoko, and Juri is pretty much indulged in her new role, very much different from her previous works specially Nodame Cantabile..only shows that she can keep up with a variety of roles that wud be given to her..she's just born with natural talent..and yes, definitely a cutie and looks great with Tamaki!! *tamajuri rooter* lol..so the movie has been shown olready??

#33 arcanestillness

arcanestillness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

I think it has been shown last Feb 16, 2008.

Here are some pics of Juri promoting the movie:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Has anyone seen it already?

#34 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

wow!! nice pics!! Juri's soooo pretty!! thank you for them arcanestillness!!
was the movie greatly received in Japan??

#35 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

piccus!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

^Wow I don't think I've seen her with that kind of make up yet... She looks more natural looking in most of the pics I see. The first picture, if you look at it, almost doesn't even look like her.. or is that just me?! XD

Thanks for all the pic posting!

#37 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

i was shocked at first when i saw her in that kind of make-up, it suits her perfectly..making her beauty glow..kinda sophisticated and dark..hehe..

yosh, pics again!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

She's just one of those actresses who doesn't need alot of makeup and still ends up looking great. <_<

oooohhh I just read the description of "Last Friends" with Ueno Juri and I think it's going to be really gooooddd... I think she's motorcross racing in here?! Or is that Nagasawa Masami? :blink: And Eita is in there as well, eh? Wowee.

Edited by divyness, 05 March 2008 - 06:24 PM.

#39 meoinkie2

meoinkie2

by your side

• News Crew
  • 7357 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:09 AM

sou desu!! hehe..i really love her look in the NC SP..she was soooo pretty!! that's why im definitely rooting her for tamaki..lol..

i also read something about juri's news series, yes, she was some sort of a motocross babe, masami was working in a beauty salon, as for eita..ehh..i forgot olready..hehe..the cast are very nice ne?? it's also said that nishikido ryo and kiyora of NC will be there too..i think the series is sort of a drama..although im not really used to watching dramas but hey i think it's nice seeing juri in another role and she'll definitely be good portraying it..

i'll just leave these piccus

juri-chan recording for the onara taisou song
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
she's soooo cute in her outfit!!

#40 divyness

divyness

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:02 PM

Awww... what a cutie pie.

"motocross babe" XD lol I think she'll look really *hot* like that. I mean in the "Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi - Slot" episode the way she dressed and acted was SO different than NC cutesy look I was like :shock

But she looked good... cutesy or the "punkish" type. I was truly impressed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)