AF needs funding again

- - - - -

What is the best way to memorize vocabulary words?

24 replies to this topic

#1 homey dont play dat

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:10 AM

I'm currently using the old 'read it once, say it twice' technique and it isnt working. Maybe I just have bad memory or something. I know flash cards help, but is there a different way for this? I'm just reading everything off the paper.

#2 Teiji

Forever Lonely

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

Read it over and over again until you can say it without the flash cards. Also, find something in real life to relate to the word. It might help you remember easier.

#3 flyingsolo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:38 AM

I was tought a very effective way to remember words.. which is drawing MIME MAPS!

so basically u draw the main topic in the centre .. and tree branches or just lines coming out from the word! and on each line u have a theme or a group of stuff .. which have smaller branches and stuff .. (i think wat i just wrote was really unclear LOL) so ill give an example

one main word in the middle is "ANIMALS"
one branch - DOGS
small branches - playful, german shepard, woof woof, ETC

another branch - CATS
small branches - furball, gentle, MEOW, ETC

make sure u use ALOT OF COLOURS! i was told that colour helps u remember more! and it does!!
i was shown the word "diarrhea" that was cut into colours .. so like 'dia' was orange 'rrh' was blue and etc and yeh i still remember the colours and i can SEE it in my mind right now .. and its been like 3 years LOL

Edited by i0nz, 23 May 2007 - 09:41 AM.

#4 chien

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:15 PM

If you're trying to remember enzyme pathways, the best way would be to draw out the pathway again, listing the substrates and enzymes for each stage. It's easier to remember after you've wrote it down once. What I would do is to highlight each pathway with different colours, depending on the type of reaction that's occured, such as redox or lysis etc.

Like what was said above, colours really do help. Then you can remember each stage as you go on, by remembering the sequence of the colours it's easy to figure out what reaction happens next. After going through it a couple of times, you should be able to recall quite easily.

#5 Gabby Jay

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Re: Chien

It doesn't sound like college level course work, I think this person is just trying to remember the words.

Re: i0nz

I think you're referring to Mind Maps. Mind maps are a great way to organize your thoughts, especially when writing a paper. You can create a mind map on a piece of paper, or you can use a neat program like FreeMind to do it on the computer. You can google "FreeMind" to find links to it.

I think the best way to remember words is just through understanding of what they really are. It's alot of work, but easier in the long run. Spend more time now, don't have to study it again later.

Edited by Gabby Jay, 26 May 2007 - 05:16 PM.

#6 1v4

*~* AF n00b *~*

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

Not only you have problem with that ^^

Almost everyone in my class have problem to remember all thee Medical vocabulary words.
The only thing I to is read it a couple of times and write it ^^

Writing really helps me alot to remember things.
But I know someone that remember things better by speaking it.

#7 BlackJade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

I'm a big fan of flash cards. I used to write them out but nowadays I just use flash card software.

#8 nightwar

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:06 AM

Yes, flash cards are the way to go. Look them over whenever you have the chance to during the day. If you also want to understand how they are used or related to each other in addition to the definition, you can also draw out a flow chart if you have time to. This method may help if you look at things more perspectively instead of just having to memorize everything in your head. Try them out! :)

#9 Candy Bell

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

I incorporate pictures with the word.

I remember in high school, during one of my English classes, our teacher assigned a vocabulary word to everyone in the class, and everyone had to go up to the board and make a small drawing to represent that word, and we all had to try to guess what the word was by the picture. When it came time for the vocabulary test,I found that the words were a lot easier to remember.

When you make your flashcards, you can scribble a little doodle next to the word too.

Edited by Candy Bell, 30 May 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#10 Affinity

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

definitely use flash cards, it helps when you are trying to memorize vocabulary.
you can write the word in front and definition in the back and keep testing yourself over and over until you get it. if you forget, you can turn the card over and remind yourself. flash cards can be very useful when studying.

#11 kenny84

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:21 AM

i donno whether thiw will work for you or not...

try making a sentence based on all of the things you wish to remember... after a sentence make a paragraph... make it like a story... then you will remember it easily.

for example. i would like to remember boy, ball, biscuits

that boy loves to play ball while eating biscuits. (something like that)

#12 okiunic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

I don't know if this will help you but I studied latin and greek roots (as well as roots from other countries as well) and it helps me to memorize the roots that comprise the word so if you're familiar with some roots, maybe you could use that method.

#13 xFenGz

TheoTheo's Partner in Crime >=D

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:44 AM

I would start a lesson and teach someone what those things are and keep using those terms in your sentences. If you use a word a lot you won't forget them. Just practice using it in sentences and explaining what it is to someone or to yourself. I would ask a classmate or someone that is in the same field and discuss and keep using those words.

#14 jimy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hi Guys!

I have a hobby website with smart widgets for improving, memorizing vocabulary.
There is an online vocabulary memorizer available for any languages.
You can play hangman game in multiple languages or practice the English irregular verbs.

widgets.uw.hu/index.html

Cheers!

#15 trizz251

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

if all the words are some how linked, then just memorize one know what it does and you can derive the of it. like enzyme is a biological catalyst and coenzyme is something that helps the enzyme cause co means cooperation...

#16 EkoEz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

Writing down or typing on flashcards can be a big help. Writing down the word and definition has helped me countless times for definitions and other things like the Chinese language.

#17 SubZero375

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

i best way to memorize vocab is to use nemonoc(sp?) device, or just plain make assocaiation with the information your trying to learn with what u already not. the trick is making those connection, either using the peg method (rythms) or invididual associations

#18 Handri

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

make a sentence.. and WRITE it on paper.. if it is difficult do it OVER AND OVER again

#19 IcyWhite

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

First, it is often helpful to have some kind memory-device to help you to retrieve the word or meaning that you want to remember.

Second, you need practice in recalling the word.

Third, you need to hear, see, and understand the word repeatedly in its various forms and in its most typical contexts.

#20 f4nt4sy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:45 AM

i just read it over and over again until uve read it so much that it just sticks in ur head

#21 ashng88

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

if its just vocab.. write it out once, and revise it over and over after writing all of them down.. that works when i'm cramming for exams.

and if i didn't procrastinate.. i'd take the time to write it out and try to understand it as i am writing them out.
UNDERSTAND the word rather then trying to memorize. if u understand it, u know it by heart.

#22 E011

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:22 AM

read it outloud and writing it cues down. most vocab words can be broken up and each terminology has its own definition. therefore its not necessarily a memorization game where u have to say it like 10x to urself or sumthing, its more of just understanding the vocab and it'll stick with u.

#23 wordoholic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

Generally speaking, my program is targeted at language learners but nothing prevents it from being used to memorize med terminology. The site is at wordoholic.com

Edited by wordoholic, 12 May 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#24 Ruan_Cheng

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

It depends on the load of ur memory lol. The best way is everyday training,eachday u memorize a little of words and try to use Eng frequently.

#25 blaz3d

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:08 AM

Read the word over and over again, read the definition and reword it in your own words, I guess those two ways can help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users