Japanese Drama That you recommend?

711 replies to this topic

#1 saiyajin0

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:33 AM

Name your 3 favorite Japanese Dramas of all time. I need some recommendations on what to watch next Posted Image So far ive only seen Long Vacation (not bad).

modbreak: please provide reasons for recommendation too.

Edited by minivicki, 01 October 2007 - 12:58 PM.

#2 maboroshi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

i've only watched a few...

my top 3 are:

hatachi no kekkon... the storyline is nice, and the guy is real cute :lol:
GTO - this series was soo funny :lol: i learned lots from this
gokusen - yakumi is soooo pretty, and this series is funny also

• Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

hi...nowadays keep on hearing people liking k-drama ....I miss those days when i watch good j-drama like GTO, long vacation, beach boys, hero, gokusen, pride, overtime and many more ...nowadays since less people watch j-drama..is there actually any worth watching that is better than those k-drama ?

#4 CheezX

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

Well lets see, there's Engine, Gokusen 2 (if you want more Gokusen), H2, Attack #1....and many others. You are pulling out some of the best and most popular jdramas, which aren't even shown in the same time period. You have some listed from the mid-nineties and then some from 2004. You can't say you "miss those days". All you miss are more great jdramas, which you obviously have not ventured out to find.

#5 robocup

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:18 PM

engine is alright bcos of takuya kimura. other thanthat, it's just a preety normal series. some one recommanded the series Manhattan love story. i haven't got round to find the torrent yet. apparently, te lead actor did not speak any dialogs but converse with the audience using his inner most thoughts. i was told he has won many praises for hs excellent use of expressions. so i suppose it is wort watchig this series.

if anyone has watched it, is it as good as i was led to believe? and if it is, does anybody know where to get the torrent?

• Guests

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

does anyone have seen the drama Pride?

is it a good serie?
where can i find a presentation of the serie with the cast?

#7 mikomi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:59 AM

I still watch Jdramas and I think there're still many ppl that watch Jdramas. Some good Jdramas I have seen recently are H2 (I like it very very much), Satorare (so funny and cute and touching too), To the one I love (romance, slow-paced yet engaging, a very beautiful drama), Orange Days (youthful romance with some nice touches of friendship, life value)...

It's hard to compare jdramas to kdramas because both are really really different. So i won't guarantee that you'll find the ones I recommended "better" or "worse" than kdramas, since you might have a different taste than me.

• Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:05 AM

well, J-drama is WORTH watching .i am J drama fans, i think the story is very interesting and variety . not like k-drama,the storyalways about love, sickness(especialy cancel) and at the end ,must be very sad. Although i always cry when watching j-drama, like (home drama, to heart,summer snow,)but the story is meaningful, and i can learn something from it.
although people now keep on say that k-drama is better, but i still think that J-drama is much more better.

#9 kukuri

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:12 AM

H2 is good. At first I found it boring, but after watching a few episodes I wanted to watch more. And I'm not even into Baseball. :whistle

#10 karinchoong

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

I think H2 is good, I enjoy the whole drama, I am watching Engine too.......in love with Takuya character.....^_^

#11 mikomi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

Uhm, for some good laughs and some actions, watch WaterBoys. Both seasons are good. You shouldn't miss it. I enjoyed it tremendously.

• Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:49 AM

Just finished "Engine" and it is not that good. Pretty disappointed on the J-Drama lately.

• Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:36 PM

supernsx, on Jul 6 2005 11 49 AM, said:

Just finished "Engine" and it is not that good. Pretty disappointed on the J-Drama lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have you watch H2? how isit? I want your opinion because you dissapointed on j-drama lately .. another opinion in another view point ....

but since so many people say H2 good and maybe really I have to watch more episode I decided to watch !!!! :yeah ...after I watch gokusen 2...engine....dae jang geum...OMG tats all long series :blush :wacko:

#14 maea_maie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

I've learned an interesting J-Dorama. Really cute. u can check this out.

[ Kimi wa Petto] you're my Pet!

Koyuki [Engine] and Jun Matsumoto [gakusen1]

Synopsis
Smart, successful and good-looking Sumire Iwaya [Koyuki] works for a big newspaper. However she is dumped for being a “perfect woman” followed by degradation. Then she finds Takeshi Goda (Jun Matsumoto) in a box out the front of her home and takes him in. He looks like a dog she used to own called Momo. She dubs him Momo and decides to “keep him as a pet.’ It’s the start of an unexpected life together as they overcome obstacles and gradually deepen their feelings for each other.

Luv both leads and they're both in d same drama. what more could i ask?

• Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:47 AM

well.. for "J-drama" from 2 seasons ago, i recommend "Gokusen 2", it's pretty good. The rating is not bad, especially when it reach above 32% for the Final Episode...

However, last season, "Engine" - the one that everyone talk about with Kimura in it...
Is very disappointing, i think it is one of the worst Drama Kimura have been in to lately. Not really because of kimura, but is because of the story, etc.... It's not bad, but just not as good as everything thinks it is. There is not much action at all in it, just a few race car scene, and that's it... And it was not romantic at all between "Kimura" and "小雪", focus too much on the Kids...

But however, last season, i would recommend "Anego", very awesome!!! The cast is not bad, especially "赤西仁", gotten very popular after "Gokusen 2", and it has awesome plot, taken originally from a novel. It's a difinitely must watch from last season J-drama!!!!!
Another drama that is not bad, is .... i forgot the english name >.<.... Anyone, it's the one with one of the Smap member in it(Kusanagi Tsuyoshi)... The plot is quite interesting, and it was quite good seeing Tsuyoshi turning evil....

Lastly, this season J-drama.... Of course u must watch "Slow Dance"!!! Super strong cast!!! lots and lots of ppl in it... And receive quite a good rating for the first episode...
But, another one, i can't wait to see, is "Densha Otoko"(電車男), the novel is very popular in Japan as well as other places such as HK, The movie have also been out, and best of all, Itok Misaki is in it,~~~ haha, how could u miss that?

Anyway, there are many J-drama each season, don't let the rating or "cast" fools you, obviously, strong cast is better to watch, but you can watch maybe the first few episode of each J-drama, and decide for yourself what you like.... =)

#16 gracious_grace

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:18 AM

icyfire217, on Jul 12 2005 2 47 PM, said:

Lastly, this season J-drama.... Of course u must watch "Slow Dance"!!! Super strong cast!!! lots and lots of ppl in it... And receive quite a good rating for the first episode...
But, another one, i can't wait to see, is "Densha Otoko"(電車男), the novel is very popular in Japan as well as other places such as HK, The movie have also been out, and best of all, Itok Misaki is in it,~~~ haha, how could u miss that?

Anyway, there are many J-drama each season, don't let the rating or "cast" fools you, obviously, strong cast is better to watch, but you can watch maybe the first few episode of each J-drama, and decide for yourself what you like....  =)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my god" Densha Otoko" has a movie ? i never knew that ? Where can i find it to download ... I havent seen the novel either but yes i heard it was good too.. SIgh ,god i wish i can improve my japanese some how..... ><...

Yes i truely agree, you have to watch the first episodes of the drama before you can decide whether its good or not..remember" dont judge a book by its cover" .. t

icyfire217, on Jul 12 2005 2 47 PM, said:

Anyway, there are many J-drama each season, don't let the rating or "cast" fools you, obviously, strong cast is better to watch, but you can watch maybe the first few episode of each J-drama, and decide for yourself what you like....  =)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my god" Densha Otoko" has a movie ? i never knew that ? Where can i find it to download ... I havent seen the novel either but yes i heard it was good too.. IN the Drama , the main guy character( forgot his name) his so funny.... Sigh ,god i wish i can improve my japanese some how to fully understand it .. .....anyone want to be my japanese tutor ??? ... =)

Yes i truely agree, you have to watch the first episodes of the drama before you can decide whether its good or not..remember" dont judge a book by its cover" ..

#17 iCanFly

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:13 AM

I liked the drama
GOOD LUCK!!
it was a good but short series. I watched the GTO anime not LIve action though maybe get it a try?

#18 CheezX

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:42 PM

GTO is my favorite
Yamato Nadeshiko (Perfect Woman) is also very nice

btw - I liked Hatachi no Kekkon because the girl was so hot!

#19 inlovewithu

my life goal is: marry wang leehom!

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:00 AM

ive never really watched any japanese dramas...i hear GTO is real good...wat is it about? is there a synopsis that i can find of japanese dramas?

#20 mikomi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

My top 3 favorites:

- Under the same Roof (I don't think there's English subbed version of this around though).

- WaterBoys - plain fun, guys synchronized swimming :D

- From the Heart - simple story yet so intriguing and beautiful.

Honorable mentions: GTO, Long Vacation, Satorare, Itoshi Kimi E, etc...

#21 fitterhappier

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

i really liked 'Beach Boys'. the songs are great..and all the stories are so touching. recent fav would be 'good luck'. takuya kimura's great inside but i really liked the guy who played his mentor (sort-of: he's the really serious looking guy but i don't know his name).

#22 jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:53 AM

I like Hero its a very good detective series watched the first few and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

• Guests

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

oh no! just three? i can't name just three, there's so many! heheh...
anyway, my fave 3 would be Love Generation, Kimi wa Petto, Orange Days, Gokusen, Lunch Queen. Wait! that was 5! ooops! hehehe..told u, i can't name just 3

#24 novemberbaby

arashi/arashi: best pairing.

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:58 AM

My top 3 favorites are: Gokusen (1&2), Pride and Kimi wa Petto. Actually, I have a lot but since you asked for 3, so I only put down my first 3 faves.

#25 chiyuffie

Rock Your Soul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 04:38 PM

Kyaaaaaa! Pride was so moving! Kimi wa Petto is a lot like the manga so it's pretty interesting. I haven't seen many j-dramas so I don't know much.

#26 smartymh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:51 PM

I havnt watch Pride yet.... But so far I think Takuya Kimura's dramas mostly r nice... I like his Good Luck and Beautiful Life... Beautiful Life is soooo touching.... lol.....

#27 rokc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

I really liked the drama Antique with Tackey in it. Golden Bowl was cute, it had Takeshi Kanshiro in it. Beautiful Life was also really good.

#28 sweetbub

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:32 AM

i have watched only a few japanese dramas and i stopped watchin japanese dramas for a while already.......here are my favorites but i think tat they are kinda old......

1. Hitotsu Yane no Shita I & II (Under the same roof 1 & 2) - this was a very touchin drama.....it's about family and how everyone sacrifices for each other......i cried a lot in part two of this series.....

2. GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)-itz a funny drama....it was interestin how the teacher 'tamed' his students one by one....i was happy tat the two leads Takashi Sorimachi and Nanako Matsushima actually ended up together in real life....

3. Kindachi Shonen No Jikembo ( The Files of Kindachi)- itz a good detective drama and it is a short series....i like this drama because i like mysteries and there is a sense of horror in it....i also liked the on screen chemistry between the two leads, Dohmoto Tsuyoshi (from Kinki Kids) and Tomosaka Rie

#29 gracious_grace

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:13 AM

gracious_grace, on Jul 16 2005 11 18 AM, said:

Oh my god" Densha Otoko" has a movie ? i never knew that ? Where can i find it to download ... I havent seen the novel either but yes i heard it was good too.. SIgh ,god i wish i can improve my japanese some how..... ><...

Yes i truely agree, you have to watch the first episodes of the drama before you can decide whether its good or not..remember" dont judge a book by its cover" .. t
Oh my god" Densha Otoko" has a movie ? i never knew that ? Where can i find it to download ... I havent seen the novel either but yes i heard it was good too.. IN the Drama , the main guy character( forgot his name) his so funny.... Sigh ,god i wish i can improve my japanese some how to fully understand it .. .....anyone want to be my japanese tutor ??? ... =)

Yes i truely agree, you have to watch the first episodes of the drama before you can decide whether its good or not..remember" dont judge a book by its cover" ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes i agree with you too . currently watching "densha otoko" too . but like you said ,. there is a movie ?? how come everyone said they've seen it ? Where i can i find the movie?? Is the movie different to the series or slightly the same just shorter version ??

#30 cherrypie197

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:31 AM

i'm not really a big fan of japanese dramas because i find its dialogues to be somewhat cheesy and unrealistic, but i did manage to watch strawberry on the shortcake, summer snow, gokusen, and that takizawa hideaki series i cant remember where he sings the opening theme song and has that girl from summer snow in it...i cant seem to recall that series, but it wasnt that good. decent but not that good. the best jdrama i've seen has got to be summer snow....i think it's so good tsubasa is so much better than hideaki acting-wise lol

#31 rubypurple

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:58 PM

i think takuya's doramas are good... i like pride, goodluck and hero among them...
forbidden love is also good... GTO is simply hilarious!

• Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:32 AM

gokusen 2
and although i havent watched anego yet...its going to be one of my favaoruties!lols because akanishi jin is in it!!ahaha

#33 lkwan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

So far I have only watched a few Japanese series. The one that i really like is HERO. Takuya is so cute in the series.Though he looks so blurr in the series but in actual he is a very smart and talented. Its a series with Takako Matsu. Its very nice and worth watching!
For the OST , i still prefer lalala (long vacation). :wasntme

#34 erik0suki

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

I would recommend long vacation, uhm, and right now, I'm really into Densha Otoko and Mukodono'03!!

• Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:31 AM

Densha Otoko"(電車男), and summer snow, i the series ilke the most. so romantic, and the story so touching

#36 rokc

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:05 PM

So far I like "Antique" with Tackey in it. "Beautiful Life" with Takuya Kimura was really good too.

#37 darkdragon88

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:34 AM

Summer Snow was my first Japanese series and I loved it. It isn't like so many of the Korean series I have watched, this has to do with a family with no parents. It's so heart warming to see the struggles and how they overcome them with all their power. The end was a real surprise, I loved it. My next favorite is probably GTO, it takes a different approach to drama. It is incredibly funny, and has like no teaching involved.

#38 SuzukiMizu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:58 AM

1. Heaven's Coin
2. Heaven's Coin II
3. My Little Chef

Heaven's Coin (both I and II) are rather old, but very touching. My Little Chef is short, but reeeally good. Enough said.

#39 aless

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

My favorite japanese drama got to be Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu this drama make me cry like no other drama

• Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:42 AM

my fav are gokusen, tokyo wankei, and the one that really made my cry a lot sekai chuusin de

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users