418 replies to this topic

#1 FireFly_

FireFly_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:21 AM

Why? My boyfriend told me that asian females would probably die for my skin colour. I am pretty white and I hate it but apparently I would practically be worshipped because of my skin (not literally lol but you know what I mean). I also notice in pictures and television that many female asians are very white, probably from powdering their faces.

I would do anything to have tanned skin and many female asians would do anything to have my white skin. Why is that? I hate white skin lol and I wonder why anyone would want to have it. With white skin you can see flaws much more easily. Tanned skin hides most of it and makes your skin look smoother and better.

So for you asian females, is this really true and why do you want white skin?

Edited by Myvi, 17 August 2007 - 06:22 PM.

#2 meteorangela

meteorangela

chau chau ♡ 小方

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:14 AM

Ive actually asked the same question before!! so many asians want white skin and not tanned skin. i think they see white as beautiful, and tanned as.. well ,not beautiful

as for me,i'm an asian, and i'm very tanned.. and i like my skin that way. i don't want white skin because i would look a bit strange.

so yep, i feel self conscious when i go to hong kong.. because people over there tend to like white not tanned.

#3 aznxthuggie

aznxthuggie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1263 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:23 AM

It's a common practice in Asia (atleast northeast asia) to have/maintain really light skin. In the past, people that have light skin were generally seen as more classy and rich. Whereas the people with dark skin are mainly farmers and laborers. It's mainly an eastern mentality, as you can see it's quite the opposite in the US, where many girls thrive to achieve the perfect tan.

I personally don't care for skin color, girls can look good either way so it doesn't matter to me.

#4 cutie_bratz14

cutie_bratz14

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:27 AM

lol yeah .. it also made me wonder at first
on how like my classmates wants white skin and stuff ..
when i grew up ... lol with those people around me
i actually wanted white skin and i achieved it ... (which was gone this summer! dang)
... lol .. i wanted white skin because they were saying on how it looked nicer ... and guys prefers girls with white skin too ... its a lot more attractice to them ...
and its like clean .... and stuff ...

#5 GirlWithUglyFeet

GirlWithUglyFeet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

I think Asians who live in Asia tend to like lighter skin while white-washed Asian girls prefer tanned skin. Asian girls prefer light skin because it's more luminous and some will prefer tanned skin because it's the hottest new skin color right now in North America (and it's because a lot of supermodels, especially the Brazilians, are bronzed like Adriana Lima). For me, I have fair skin and I prefer it that way. I used to be tanned when I was younger and when I look back at the pictures, I looked like a monkey. So yeah, this is just my preference.

Edited by GirlWithUglyFeet, 04 October 2006 - 04:50 AM.

#6 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

In Japan, many girls where making googly eyes at my skin XD;; I just wanted to shout 'nooo!! You don't want it!!"

Seriously... it's not fun XD; I might as well be made out of glass, my skin is so white, it's practically transparent... Well, at least giving blood is never a problem >.>;

So yeah, it's not really fun... if you get a spot, it's visible from a mile away =_=

If you're pale... there's a risk that you might look rather sickly... >.>;

GirlWithUglyFeet - Could you please not use that term? "white-washed" is, I dare say, somewhat offensive, to the Asians, and the Caucasians ^_^;;

#7 asian_tarrie

asian_tarrie

Leng Paula's Twinie..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

i know much asian girls who want a white skin too! but i personally prefer tan..and i have a tan skin.. my sis prefer white en she have a white skin.. i dont like white skin..its not even prettty i think

#8 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

i know much asian girls who want a white skin too! but i personally prefer tan..and i have a tan skin.. my sis prefer white en she have a white skin.. i dont like white skin..its not even prettty i think

oi >.>; be careful with your wording XD;;

#9 FireFly_

FireFly_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

I think Asians who live in Asia tend to like lighter skin while white-washed Asian girls prefer tanned skin. Asian girls prefer light skin because it's more luminous and some will prefer tanned skin because it's the hottest new skin color right now in North America (and it's because a lot of supermodels, especially the Brazilians, are bronzed like Adriana Lima). For me, I have fair skin and I prefer it that way. I used to be tanned when I was younger and when I look back at the pictures, I looked like a monkey. So yeah, this is just my preference.

Actually, I don't care about what the new "craze" is, I just don't like pale white skin in general. It's boring, it's dull and you can see all of a person's flaws. Tanned skin looks neater, if you will. I am not at all "white-washed", I just prefer to have colour.

#10 GirlWithUglyFeet

GirlWithUglyFeet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:03 AM

Okay, so maybe I used to the term white-washed a little too far (sorry). Please don't put my comments out of context because of course, everyone is not a trend-following suckup. Everybody has their own taste. However, I've seen many Asian girls label themselves as 'white-washed' (ie. "I don't really like Asian stuff, I'm pretty white-washed"). Heck, even some Caucasians say other Asians are white-washed. In conclusion, I don't think 'white-washed' is offensive to everyone, just a couple of them.

#11 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

Okay, so maybe I used to the term white-washed a little too far (sorry). Please don't put my comments out of context because of course, everyone is not a trend-following suckup. Everybody has their own taste. However, I've seen many Asian girls label themselves as 'white-washed' (ie. "I don't really like Asian stuff, I'm pretty white-washed"). Heck, even some Caucasians say other Asians are white-washed. In conclusion, I don't think 'white-washed' is offensive to everyone, just a couple of them.

I just don't like the implication that 'white' people 'bleach' other people of their culture, with their lack of culture. It may be true to some extent in North America, however white =/= American.

That's the only thing that bugs me.

I didn't say I was offended by it, just that it's considered so by some... I personally am hardly going to cry about it, but it does make me feel uneasy, as it is a not so subtle jab at white people, as well as some Asians.

#12 Aprily

Aprily

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:35 AM

I feel the same. I hate my white white skin. I'm embarassed to wear swim suits because you can see any flaw and it's just so pale ..... Tanned skin is so perfect and looks healthier and better. I have no idea why they want sick gross white skin over thier wonderful skin of thier own

#13 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

I feel the same. I hate my white white skin. I'm embarassed to wear swim suits because you can see any flaw and it's just so pale ..... Tanned skin is so perfect and looks healthier and better. I have no idea why they want sick gross white skin over thier wonderful skin of thier own

Exactly! XD;

...and we burn... badly. o.o;;;

#14 ~Jie*De~

~Jie*De~

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Lol, I'm sure there are some people out there who look down on people with tanned skin, cause they have to 'work' outside.
Okay, old belief.

My skin is fairly tanned, and I am quite dark.
[surprisingly, living in the UK and all]
I don't really mind cause most asians around here are dark.
Although you get the REALLY pale ones.. xD

I like my skin. Heheh~
I wouldn't mind white skin.. heh.. thats the craze amongst the Jrock fans.. including myself.

#15 ampedasia.com

ampedasia.com

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

some female celebs with tan skin are really hot. Take Hyori Lee for example, and BoA as well. Don't know why lots of people like white skin, it makes them look kinda sickly in my opinion, like they have no color in their face.

#16 newwavedreamer

newwavedreamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

Many Asian countries, despite their recent economic fortunes, are not far removed from poverty, like South Korea. Yeah, Seoul is really modern and everything, but it's only been so for a few decades, and it's common to see remnants of the poorer times, like sun-charred farmers, roaming about side-by-side with the paler, richer businessmen, doctors, athletes, etc. Thus, you can understand the national desire for relatively pale skin. In countries like America or places like Western Europe, they have been developed for long enough that the image of the dark labourer is faint, allowing for an idealization of a glamourous tan.

#17 Tiramiisue

Tiramiisue

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:55 AM

I don't like having skin that is too white...actually, I'm quite tanned...I don't know why people are desparate for white skin...maybe what newwavedreamer said was right...but do people actaully know that story behind it, or is it just a sterotype?

#18 JptDotCom

JptDotCom

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

yeah very true, asian gals only know beauty means white..only white...i've hardly seen any tanned gal here....
only thing they care is white and skinny...yuck!!!!!
skinny like bamboo!!!

#19 wang bao

wang bao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

The answer is very easy.
Asians like everything what they don't have (uncommon) - a western style.
They like white skin, round eyes, to be taller and bigger noses.
In western parts people like small noses and brown skin.

#20 *s.a.r.a.h*

*s.a.r.a.h*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

Well, i don't like being pale so i'm quite tanned.. but i think that certain people look good with lighter skin while others look nicer darker and so it depends on the person really.

#21 xoxo_ai

xoxo_ai

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:43 AM

I guess it goes like this.. People who have light skin want tanned skin; people who have tanned skin want light skin. :wacko: I have tanned skin, and I used to want lighter skin 'cause most asians do. But, now I learn to like tanned skin, since i really can't do anything about it. So I guess.. be proud of what you have. :)

#22 Cindi

Cindi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:47 AM

Why? My boyfriend told me that asian females would probably die for my skin colour. I am pretty white and I hate it but apparently I would practically be worshipped because of my skin (not literally lol but you know what I mean). I also notice in pictures and television that many female asians are very white, probably from powdering their faces.

I would do anything to have tanned skin and many female asians would do anything to have my white skin. Why is that? I hate white skin lol and I wonder why anyone would want to have it. With white skin you can see flaws much more easily. Tanned skin hides most of it and makes your skin look smoother and better.

So for you asian females, is this really true and why do you want white skin?

I am very tan.....
Well... when I was teen, I was thinking how lovely to see that I am fair like those girls.
As I grow, I then to not mindng all of those. I am happy how I was.
When I saw the African with true black skin, actually they look beautiful too. No mater what type of skin colour we have, we must be very happy with it.
Comparing is very hurt our feeling. :noclue
Always love ourself first. =)
I do admire those who have nice white skin and also black skin.
To remember, we are all difference. Accept what we are.

Ask me if I want a white skin, I think about it before but not now.

#23 Ereda

Ereda

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

Yes,I am definately one of the girls that cares so much about my fair skin.

#24 00Kumiko

00Kumiko

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

Ooh yeah I think you're right, a lot of old-Asian-minded thinkers seem to like white skin.

I'm (light) tan but those sort of people keep on calling me black. (WTF?!)

But guess what? Those whiter girls (even Asians) get burnt in the sun easier than us tanned peeps do =]

#25 jackkool

jackkool

Novy's brown eyed B.F

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2456 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

European imperialists are often blamed for bringing the "lighter skin is righter" mentality to indigenes of colonized lands in Africa and Asia. Critics of this mental colonization don't always acknowledge in the same breath that many North African and Asian cultures had placed a premium on light skin PRIOR to European exposure. Indian folk songs praised the beautiful woman who has "the color of butter" (Indian butter is white, not yellow). Pre-colonial Indonesian women used plant-based skin treatments to make their complexion pale.

However, the fact that pre-colonial colorism exists does NOT absolve Europeans of their responsibility for indoctrinating non-European populations with harmful racial ideologies. Pre-colonial colorism in many cultures is fundamentally different from modern Western racism; the vocabulary and assumptions used in the discussion of modern racism are not necessarily helpful or relevant in understanding pre-European-contact attitudes towards complexion.

Pre-European-contact colorism occurs in the context of members of the same "race" (quotes being used because "race" is a modern Western concept we are applying anachronistically). Wealthy people did not have to work in the sun, and thus were lighter-complexioned than poor workers and peasants. Light skin became a symbol of wealth and class. Fatness, another physical characteristic associated with a lifestyle of prestige and plenty, was also deemed attractive. Famed medieval North African writer Ibn Battuta described "the most perfect of women in beauty" as "pure white and fat."1

Such preferences for the plump and pale were not limited to North Africa. Paintings from pre-modern China and Japan depicted gods, warriors, and other attractive men with ample bellies. The round belly implies physical stability and economic sufficiency. The Chinese euphemism for getting fat literally means "getting wealthy". Chinese texts from as early as the 3rd century praised a handsome man's pallid countenance as the perfect contrast to gleaming black eyes.2

Ihara Saikaku, a 17th century Japanese writer, constrasted the beauty of the black-haired, pale-skinned urban youth to the unattractiveness of orange-haired, sun-tanned rural boys. Peasant boys who worked outdoors had their black hair bleached orange by sun and sweat. Thus, for the pre-modern Japanese, pale hair and dark skin came to be signifiers of an under-privileged lifestyle, just as black hair and pale skin symbolized urban sophistication and privilege.

When Europeans started exporting their ideas of the white European master race to colonized lands, the toxic reaction between old lifestyle-based colorism and new Western racism produced a harmful new compound which associated European features with power, wealth and beauty. Some European-descent whites absolve themselves of responsibility by saying, "The only reason racism took root so easily in Japan/the Philippines/[fill in the blanks] is because the people there already had similar ideas about race and color." What these Europeans fail to understand is that while the new ideas of racism may wear the clothes of old class/lifestyle-based colorism, it is a whole different animal underneath.

Firstly, the fact that other indigenous preferences that accompanied traditional colorism - such as the preference for fatness or black hair or black eyes - have declined demonstrates that the new Eurocentric standards of beauty are based on assumptions different from those of traditional colorism. For example, the influence of American pop culture replaced the original Japanese ideal of jet black hair with the phenomenon of Japanese dyeing their hair red, blonde or orange.

Secondly, the modern concept of 'race' itself is a Western import. This new racial 'colorism' is no longer framed in the old context of "lifestyle/social circumstance determines appearance", i.e. "if you are wealthy, you will have certain physical characteristics as a result of your lifestyle". Post-colonial racism is in fact based on the opposite concept: that one's genotype, and by extension, its phenotypic expression, determines one's circumstance in life, i.e. "if you are white, you will have certain privileges as a result of your biological heritage". This idea of "biology=destiny" is what undergirds modern Western racism.

Sadly, many non-whites today do not examine the roots of their admiration for the white-skinned, high-nosed and light-eyed, and assume that their desire for whiteness is "natural" or "traditional". Some non-black people of color even speak of their "instinctive" fear of black people. Even without interacting with black people, some brown and yellow individuals have unthinkingly internalized European colonialist attitudes of a racial hierarchy with white at the top and black at the bottom.

In other cases, some Asians who assume that individual blacks are poor or uneducated may be possibly acting on traditional colorism. These Asians make the same assumptions about darker persons of their own. For all of individuals (regardless of race) some introspection would come in handy. Instead of excusing our preferences as "natural", "determined by hormones", "purely emotional, and therefore defying logical analysis", let's just ask ourselves as individuals, "Why do I prefer people who have certain physical characteristics, be it fatness or thinness or whiteness or blackness?"

Perhaps our individual motivations are totally benign. But perhaps if those who unconsciously subscribe to class-based colorism realize the origins of their preference for the light-skinned was based on wealth and not race, their idea that "black=poor" will fall flat because it should be obvious that people from dark-skinned races, regardless of economic situation, are dark-skinned. And therefore, using skin color as a gauge of economic status is not as relevant for subSaharan Africans and aboriginal Australians as it is for North Africans and Asians.

Even if 'race' is completely out of the picture, the next step is to acknowledge the classist implications of pre-colonial non-racial colorism. Some people find it appalling to marry for money, but the same people excuse preferences for spouses of light complexion as "purely physical". They do not recognize the wealth-based roots of color prejudices, and fail to see the role of social conditioning in constructing desire. The purpose of this essay is not to command people to change their desires, for no one has the power to dictate what is attractive to another. It merely suggests that we should UNDERSTAND the causes of our preferences. Whether we want or need to change is up to us.

http://www.colorq.or...02/colorism.htm
I've posted the article before, I think it explains the desire for white skin very well. I'll just add that I agree with cindi be happy with your skin color what ever it is.

#26 alice183

alice183

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

my auntie from taiwan told me that it is very very "in" to have a white skin ...and every girl there want to have a white skin.....they avoid the sun by going with an umbrella out, haha it was funny when i saw that.....shopping with umbrella without rain :P

#27 gt15

gt15

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

your kiddin right? so many asian girls in canada r so freakin tanned and i hate white skin, i look like a ghost wen i do have white skin

#28 electricity

electricity

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

I just don't like the implication that 'white' people 'bleach' other people of their culture, with their lack of culture. It may be true to some extent in North America, however white =/= American.

That's the only thing that bugs me.

I didn't say I was offended by it, just that it's considered so by some... I personally am hardly going to cry about it, but it does make me feel uneasy, as it is a not so subtle jab at white people, as well as some Asians.

I've never heard of its being considered derogatory before. o.0 Whitewash isn't bleaching - bleach eliminates pigments, while whitewash covers up color, much as any other paint does. Interesting. What about the terms banana/egg? (yellow on the outside, white inside, and vice-versa?) They were just considered normal where I'm from...

I personally prefer fair skin. I'm constantly being told that I have really nice skin - it's rare that I'll get anything on my face that needs to be covered up. My skin's never white, anyway - it usually pales into a kind of yellowly-gold color. It's hard to avoid getting some tan though, especially during the summer. >.< During the school year, I'm OK, since I spend so much of the sunlit hours either in lab or in class. =]

#29 ThisSassyGirl

ThisSassyGirl

Long way to happy

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:25 PM

When I was young I was pretty tanned ! My parents hated it & thought it was ugly, now when I look back at my old pictures, I agree with them. I'm yellow now ! Haha I wish I had the perfect white skin too ! My sister in law ... her skin is pretty ! xD

#30 eileen87

eileen87

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

well i was pretty pale when i was little but i like being in the sun. especially in southern california, it's impossible to not be in the sun! I like being tan. but when i feel like i'm getting TOO tan, i try to cover myself up. My mom is sooo pale though. She's always telling me to stay out of the sun because she thinks i look ugly when i'm tan..

my sister's really pale though -- my mom likes her more :( hahahaha

Edited by eileen87, 11 October 2006 - 07:14 AM.

#31 el_rey

el_rey

[ SMILE ] :: el rey ::

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4552 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:01 AM

I call girls that are really white ghost - -

I prefer non really white girls...alot of asians don't look good - its freaky. I mean u get used to it if ur from korea n japan where every girl there can stand naked on a white wall and no one would notice MUCH LOL

well yea i kno alot that want white skin - and see alot...But they do really look bad lol...a little tan is needed to look sexc and have that sexc glow :D instead of that "HUGE Reflection of light that blinds people" its bad to drive and see a really white girl that reflect 60% sun light LO (with clothes)

#32 may (:

may (:

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

i'm asian and yea i've always wanted white skin. not the "american" sort of white but the "porcelain" white kind. it's because girls look radiant when they have fair white skin. more guys are attracted to girls with fair complexions compared to girls with dark complexions (: as for guys wanting tans, well..guys look better with tanned skin don't they?

#33 P ๑۩۞۩๑

P ๑۩۞۩๑

╤р╤

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1526 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

Everyone just likes what others have and other like what you have its always going to be like this.

Most shanghainese people are very white in skin color wonder why?

#34 electricity

electricity

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Everyone just likes what others have and other like what you have its always going to be like this.

Haha... ever been to Shanghai? It's a rare day that I see sun whenever I'm there. =P What with all the skyscrapers and whatnot, it's not surprising that people avoid the sun quite easily.

#35 CrushedDreamz

CrushedDreamz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:42 AM

I wouldn't mind having lighter skin. I'm really tanned. Every time I see my relatives, they always say, "Why are you do dark?" :down I get tanned really easily. Half an hour in the sun and I'd get a shade darker, seriously. I don't want to have really white skin or really dark skin.. How do I explain it.. I have no idea..

#36 ~Sw33tz~

~Sw33tz~

♥ing Jaejae

• Forum Masters
  • 4374 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:10 AM

haha but i live in aus sydney... a city of tanned ppl man... but i am quite white... it isn't the pale ghostly white, it is like wat someone said, porclain or something.. it is more about the absence of the tinge of yellowy colour that some asians have... dat is wat white is... it is a nice colour, it suits my skin very very well...

but mind you, i HATE being white in summer, u look like a pale thing in those shorter shirts and tank tops... it doesn't look nice... i am planning on putting on a bit of fake tan just to look tanned for summer, but mind you that is only 4 going out... or else i love my white skin...

ppl do ask why it is so white, because i get tanned easily in the sun, but i can revert bak...

must say it is the shang women thing =D nah kidding... but i do wanna know why so many shangs have white skin ... it is scary because in sydney...all my shang friends albeit one are all very pale skinned........ the genes??

#37 TawnyKira

TawnyKira

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:36 AM

I'm part Italian, so I tan really easily, but I just choose to avoid the sun... It's better for my skin... I would rather be pale and have healthy skin than to be tan when I'm young and have leathery skin as I age... Plus my Welsh grandmother is very light-skinned and is prone to skin cancer, so I want to ensure that I dont go through what she is... And I just don't see what the big deal is about being tan!! So many people at my school do the whole "fake-baking" thing and it just makes them look orange... And sunless tanners do the same... I'm just not up for looking like an oompa-loompa...

Note... I'm not saying that people who are tan are unattractive. Tan looks really good on some people! I just prefer to be pale for health and personal taste reasons...

#38 trizz251

trizz251

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:23 AM

you mean asian females want a lighter toned skin. I think it's one of those chinese things, where if you have a lighter tone skin you are seen as a very polite and educated girl and well you just look "hotter"

#39 GhstDreamer

GhstDreamer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:48 AM

Pale skin is very popular among East and South East Asians. I do think there is something wrong if you have to bleach your skin to look white.

#40 annie083

annie083

Asian Fanatic

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4392 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

i found this really strange too on a recent trip back to Hong Kong. As i live in england, everyone here wants tanned skin, they can't wait for the sun to come out and sunbathe right. I work outdoors and so naturally got a real nice tan from it. When i went to HK nearly everybody commented on how dark my skin was, then i started to notice that everyone around me was really pale! i just find it quite odd that in asia, people want white skin and in europe they want tanned skin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)