AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

[Song Recommendations] Hokkien/Fukien Songs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 kerpao

kerpao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:13 AM

HI!! i'm hokkien and speak the language. i was wondering if there were songs out there that were in hokkien. the only song i know of is "Ji pa ban" which honestly isn't really a song song. >.> anyways, hope someone on AF can recommend some songs. thanks in advance!

#2 xxduckbutt

xxduckbutt

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

i know that mayday (五月天) has quite a few hokkien songs...i can list some of them but they really do have a lot

軋車 (motor rock)
志明與春嬌 (zhiming and chunjiao)
I Love You 無望 (i love you, hopeless)
心中無別人 (nobody else in my heart)
憨人 (fool)
垃圾車 (garbage truck)

like i said they have loads, these are a few of their more popular ones..so check em out and see if you like em :] enjoy!

#3 kerpao

kerpao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

ooo. wow i think i speak hokkien with an accent or like a different dialect cuz it understand like 1/4th of the some of songs xD. a lot of them are mandarin too.

Edited by kerpao, 20 September 2007 - 10:10 PM.

#4 Dr Issa

Dr Issa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:44 AM

should go for the more classic hokkien songs, try the taiwanese singers like luo shi feng.

#5 tammiest

tammiest

我要的世界

• Forum Crew
  • 3745 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

Oooh, Hokkien songs. Actually, I ADORE oldie Hokkien songs and singers. But... is that really what you're looking for? Or are you looking for more modern, rock-ish or at least more pop ballad-y stuff? If it's the latter (more modern stuff), then I'm afraid I'm not an expert, but 伍佰 Wu Bai (of China Blue) is kind of the "quintessential" Taiwanese (Minnan/Hokkien) rocker. He releases songs in Mandarin, too, but he's got a large number of songs in Taiwanese, too. A lot of people love him, but his style of music is too heavy rock/metal for me. 江蕙 Judy Chiang Hui, meanwhile, is a classic singer who has managed to evolve really well with the new style of music and continues to be popular. DEFINITELY check her out... I'm really into her oldies, but I understand that one of her recent songs (I think it was in Mandarin and penned by Jay Chou?) won an award last year... so her modern Hokkien songs might be worth a listen, too.

But yeah, if you're interested in more "oldies" type songs (1980's-1990's), just let me know. I've got a long list of recommended artists.

Edited by tammiest, 04 October 2007 - 06:15 AM.

#6 kerpao

kerpao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

i actually am looking for a more"modern, rock-ish or at least more pop ballad-y stuff" but i will check out the ones you've recommended =) thank yoU!

#7 tammiest

tammiest

我要的世界

• Forum Crew
  • 3745 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Okay, so that my recommendations don't get lost in the Main Thread, I'll post them here instead :)

Anyways, first, "modern" Hokkien. Aside from 謝金燕 Jeannie Hsieh JinYan, who's more techno and dance (pretty good, actually... her voice is kind of thin, but her music is poppy. She dances, too)... actually, the most famous Hokkien "rocker" of them all is 伍佰 Wu Bai (and China Blue, his band). He does have some stuff in Mandarin, too, but... mostly Taiwanese. Most of his music is not really my taste, but he has some range to his stuff... some of his music is actually quite nice, sort of reminiscent of Taiwanese oldies. clapclap

五月天 Mayday-- I'm sure you've heard of them-- kind of more mainstream pop rock?... they've released a few Hokkien songs and/or Hokkien + Mandarin mixes. They're pretty good... very popular.

Otherwise, I saw this "new" group, 董事長 Chairman, in a Taiwanese Western New Year concert... not my style at all, but really modern. 黃妃 Huang Fei is almost a Hokkien version of Genie Zhuo or Rainie Yang (err... sort of), I think... kind of cutesy, poppy.

The following are considered "oldie" (I guess... by this, I mean 80's and 90's) singers... who are mostly still in the industry now. Don't really listen to their recent stuff... it's probably more up to date... but I definitely enjoyed their old stuff.

江慧 Judy Chiang Hui, the undisputed QUEEN of Hokkien music. Her voice is amazing... even live. She's still going strong now... one of her songs from a couple of years ago won a Golden Melody Award... Jay Chou wrote it. So yeah, definitely check her out.

余天 Yu Tian, oldie KING of Hokkien music. Great, great deep voice.

洪榮宏 Hong RongHong, another oldie KING of Hokkien music. Good, good voice.

羅時豐 Luo ShiFeng... has a very nice, deep voice. Not as good naturally as Yu Tian, in MY opinion, but... his songs are catchier and more up-to-date. He released a new CD last month or something.

蔡小虎 Tsai XiaoHu... more tenor. Nice oldies... I'm pretty sure he JUST released a new album within the past few weeks...

陳雷 Chen Lei... ohh, this guy is a veryyy famous Hokkien singer. To be honest, his songs are sort of "tu tu de," but they're sooo good, for some reason. Maybe because he became very popular when I was very little, so I have a soft spot. They're sort of quaint, but way catchy... his songs always make me smile :P

王識賢 Wang ShiXian... I LOVEEE this guy!! Hahaha... he has a TON of Hokkien hits, and I actually bought a few of his CD's. Not sure what he's doing nowadays-- I think he might be hosting variety shows-- but definitely give him a try. Highly recommend his classic duets with Judy Chiang.

施文彬 Shi WenBin... he's really good, too!! But his voice is a bit on the duller side (less to my taste)... he writes a lot of his own music, though, I think. Check out his classic duet with Judy Chiang, 傷心酒店 [Xiong Xim Jew Dyam] [The Pub of Heartbreak]-- I think it's the most famous/popular Hokkien duet of all time. He did a few others with her, too...
Anyway, I've seen some more recent photos of him with some wilder, rocker hair and carrying an electric guitar. So I have no idea what kind of music he does nowadays, but he's worth a listen.

李翊君 Li YiJun, female singer. I think this is probably my second favorite Taiwanese female voice. Actually, she sings in both Mandarin and Taiwanese... Very strong voice...

黃乙玲 Huang YiLing, female singer. Very good!! Very clear voice... good with sad songs. She's put out a number of covers of classic Hokkien songs... my mom bought all of them ^_^*

江淑娜 Chiang ShuNa, younger sister of Judy Chiang Hui. Really, her voice can't compare to her sister's, but that's a tall order for anyone. ^_^* She has some Mandarin songs, too.

蔡秋鳳 Tsai QiuFeng... she has a very, very heavy nasal tone to her voice... one which a lot of people have mocked over the years. Haha.... anyway, I am not a fan of her vocals or her songs, but she's still fairly popular, so... to each their own.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by tammiest, 23 June 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#8 Dragoon27

Dragoon27

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

Wow! So many, and each with it's very own distinct comment too!
You must have put a lot of effort into it, thank you. :)

I've just been listening to some of their songs, and they all sound sooooo goood! :D
The style of these music is just so different to any other. That's what makes it so special. ;)

Yea 董事長 Chairman is not really my style too.... I was just listening to 董事長樂團 The Chairman - 心爱的牛肉面 (), and you are right, it's way too modern.... ^_^* to the degree where I have no idea what they are singing...

Genie Zhuo's voice is so girly, sweet ><

黃乙玲 Huang YiLing: haha, it reminds me of my mother being a big fan of 'deng li jun' songs when I was very little. The music is nice, but too girly for me... She would listen to if all day long... Now when ever I hear the song, I would run as far away possible. ^^v
Huang YiLing's songs is indeed sad, or lack energy from the singer ... it seems as if she has a sad life...

I'll post more as I listen to them. Thanks again for the excellent recommendation. :)

Edited by Dragoon27, 07 July 2008 - 06:21 AM.

#9 tammiest

tammiest

我要的世界

• Forum Crew
  • 3745 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

Argh, I forget her name again. Somewhere between my last post here and now, I came across a Hokkien singer that I used to like... but I forgot to post *sighs*
BTW, I saw Huang Fei on a variety show, and she actually has a number of ballads, too. She just also has some cutesy songs :x

This guy, 蕭閎仁 Afalean Hsiao HongRen, has at least a couple of songs that are half-Hokkien and half-Mandarin. He's pretty modern in style, too (although not SCARY like Chairman... he's more... R&B/rock, maybe?). You might like him. He's not too bad of a live singer, either.

Edited by tammiest, 21 January 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#10 weedpeach

weedpeach

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:12 AM

doesnt wang lee hom sing some songs that are hokkien?
i think his new album had some, but not sure.
but i think its not entirely hokkien. likee partially hokkien and mandarin?!

or maybe it was taiwanese. >___<
or is it the same?!
ahhh, confuseddd. @~@

Edited by weedpeach, 25 January 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#11 tammiest

tammiest

我要的世界

• Forum Crew
  • 3745 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

I remembered the name of the woman I like clapclap Haha, it's 陳盈潔 Chen YingJie. She's got a very rich, vibrant voice... she's actually one of the big 姐 Jie's in the Taiwanese music industry, too. Can't believe I forgot to recommend her :STUPID

Actually, there are a TON of Taiwanese/Hokkien singers out there. I'm really only recommending ones I've liked/the super-popular ones, though :)

doesnt wang lee hom sing some songs that are hokkien?
i think his new album had some, but not sure.
but i think its not entirely hokkien. likee partially hokkien and mandarin?!

or maybe it was taiwanese. >___<
or is it the same?!
ahhh, confuseddd. @~@

Taiwanese is a kind of Hokkien (or 閩南語 Minnan); Hokkien is, really, a dialect "group." Of course, the little sub-dialects in the dialect group aren't entirely identical, but they're close enough that they can generally understand each other.
Even in Taiwan, the "Taiwanese" Hokkien changes... typically from "countryside" to "city."

Anyway, Wang LeeHom, to my knowledge, has only released one partly Taiwanese song, a duet with S.H.E.'s Selina: 你是我心内的一首歌 [Li Shii Wgoh Xim Lai Eh Ji Xiew Gua] [You're a Song In My Heart]. Only a handful of lines (and many of them repeats) are in Taiwanese, however...