AF needs funding again

- - - - -

Famous Taiwan Singer/Composers Start Singing Cantonese Song!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sport3888_*

• Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

This is so great! I was really surprised that Gary Cao wanted to release a cantonese album. Gary is actually "Gong Dung" person not sure how to translate the name of the place into english. He's gonna release a cantonese album next year.

and now even more surprised that JJ Lin 林俊傑 wants to sing in cantonese too. He also does everything for his mandarin albums producing, composing, writting lyrics, etc. I heard from radio earlier that JJ's cantonese is pretty good since he's a Taiwan singer/composer. It'd be so great if JJ can have some cantonese songs as good as his mandarin song "Assassin". JJ mixes Western and Eastern music elements for his songs. The lyrics to the cantonese version is so refreshing and different form the usual cantonese songs has western singing style.
The new edition of his album
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code...pid-1005053542/

Original Mandarin Version JJ Lin's 江南

JJ Lin's 江南 - 粵語版 (廣東版) Cantonese Version
Not the real MV the fan just added the cantonese version to the MV that was for the mandarin version.

other clips of JJ Lin sing the cantonese version
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...=&uploaded=

JJ 林俊傑 composes song with pictures

Gary Cao 曹格 - 海邊的卡夫卡 LIVE Version

Gary Cao, Janice Vidal, Hins Cheung
快樂地圖Let's go Live Version (Video not in sync with audio though)
This song is produced by Gary Cao

Jasmine/Fish Leong 梁靜茹- 原來你也唱過我的歌

Edited by Sport3888, 25 September 2007 - 12:01 AM.

#2 dujun

★ girlfriend of nation boyfriend

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

Yes! I was so excited when I heard that Gary has moved to Hong Kong and is going to release a Cantonese album and when I heard JJ's Canto song (even though it's a remake of one of his song).

The thing is Gary sounds very accentated when he was singing his Canto song. It doesn't sound like he is very good in Cantonese. But when he is speaking, his Cantonese is very good! Maybe it's the way he sings. It was also very weird hearing JJ sing Cantonese because I've gotten so used to him singing Chinese.

Jasmine/Fish Leong also released a song sang in Cantonese and it was suprising because her Cantonese was perfect. The songwriter (Pong Nan) commented on his blog that when she sang, there was no "lang yum" (I have no idea what it is, but I think it's something to do with a certain negative/wrong way of speaking Cantonese that occurs usually in HK). Hopefully she will release a Canto album soon.

I hope that they are more singers that are based on Taiwan who are going to sing in Cantonese.

P.S: JJ is not a Taiwanese. He is actually from Singapore which leads me to wonder where did he learn Cantonese because Singapore don't allow dialects to be broadcast.

Edited by blue maniac, 24 September 2007 - 06:57 AM.

#3 themissingpiece

♥ Mao Asada's Fight

• Forum Masters
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

sorry guys, going to move this thread to the music section..it belongs there!

but it's great to hear about this, because while HK/Canto singers always must cross over to the Mandarin market. It's unfair but I know that market is bigger..but it's great to hear that Taiwan singers are trying to cross over to Canto! But I think the biggest hurdle obviously is the accent, Canto speakers including myself HATE hearing accented canto, esp when it's really off !

My friend previously sent me Fish's song, and I was impressed with her canto. It's really good and did you guys see her on Minutes to Fame. Very impressive Cantonese for someone's who not native.

As for Gary, I thought the Cantonese was pretty good! Aihh maybe it's me but I couldn't tell the difference btw him and Hins' voice! But that's a great song with Janice!!

#4 Guest_Sport3888_*

• Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:41 AM

View Postthemissingpiece, on Oct 2 2007 12 25 AM, said:

sorry guys, going to move this thread to the music section..it belongs there!

but it's great to hear about this, because while HK/Canto singers always must cross over to the Mandarin market. It's unfair but I know that market is bigger..but it's great to hear that Taiwan singers are trying to cross over to Canto! But I think the biggest hurdle obviously is the accent, Canto speakers including myself HATE hearing accented canto, esp when it's really off !

My friend previously sent me Fish's song, and I was impressed with her canto. It's really good and did you guys see her on Minutes to Fame. Very impressive Cantonese for someone's who not native.

As for Gary, I thought the Cantonese was pretty good! Aihh maybe it's me but I couldn't tell the difference btw him and Hins' voice! But that's a great song with Janice!!
Yea same thing with HK singers singing mandarins songs some also have accents which isn't that good. I really like the crossover of Taiwan singers to cantonese songs cause those Singer/Composers can give some very refreshing and good to everyone. We need more music people like them who can to liven up cantonese songs and the hk music industries. I especially like how many of the songs they compose have a mix of chinese and western music makes things much more interesting.

#5 TheBalls26

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:48 AM

Actually Gary and Fish are both Malaysian and JJ is Singaporean. And Cantonese is a language in Malaysia.
I can't think of any Taiwan born singers who has released a Cantonese song.

#6 Noobee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

Yea. Actually both Gary Cao and Fish Leong are Malaysian while JJ is Singaporean. I think they are more exposed to cantonese since we do have lots of cantonese living in both Malaysia and Singpore. Furthermore, Fish speaks mainly cantonese before debuting in Taiwan. She said before that her mandarin had some very strong cantonese accent but she managed to lose the accent before debuting.

#7 dujun

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Another Malaysian born singer, Z Chen (Zhang Zhi Cheng) also released a Cantonese song a few years back, titled "Shang Xin Huan Re Xian" which was actually a Cantonese version of his Chinese song "Huan Re Xian (?)". I really like this song because it's very very different from HK songs. He actually expressed that he wanted to release a Cantonese album but now he seems to have disappeared.

Jolin Tsai have released a Cantonese remake of her song "Pretending" but her Cantonese is so bad! Elva Hsiao also released a Cantonese song for her concert in HK a few years back but I cannot remember what is the name.

#8 spirit

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

it's great if they can do it. however, it's just like hong kong singing in broken mandarin. i think it's ridiculous and they shouldn't bother, since trying to sing in another dialect can affect the singing itself.

#9 Guest_Sport3888_*

• Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

View Postblue maniac, on Oct 5 2007 12 40 PM, said:

Another Malaysian born singer, Z Chen (Zhang Zhi Cheng) also released a Cantonese song a few years back, titled "Shang Xin Huan Re Xian" which was actually a Cantonese version of his Chinese song "Huan Re Xian (?)". I really like this song because it's very very different from HK songs. He actually expressed that he wanted to release a Cantonese album but now he seems to have disappeared.

Jolin Tsai have released a Cantonese remake of her song "Pretending" but her Cantonese is so bad! Elva Hsiao also released a Cantonese song for her concert in HK a few years back but I cannot remember what is the name.
Is the MTV of Shang Xin Huan Re Xian on youtbe? Can you post the clip. I really want to listen to it since you said you liked it.

#10 dujun

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

View PostSport3888, on Oct 6 2007 8 58 PM, said:

Is the MTV of Shang Xin Huan Re Xian on youtbe? Can you post the clip. I really want to listen to it since you said you liked it.

Sorry for the really late reply. Here you go!

#11 60699

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:45 AM

Lee Hom released a couple of songs in Catonese in the early 2000's when he was trying his music in the HK industry. From hearing, you know Catonese is not his first language but he sounded pretty darn convincing. Same with Elva, her Catonese sounded good when she sang.

Yeah, one thing people neglect to realize is that HK singers have to sing both Catonese and Mandarin while Taiwan/Mainland/etc. singers can sing Mandarin only and be both in the HK and Mainland market.

#12 xxduckbutt

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:18 AM

hk singers need to attack the mando market - the population of china + taiwan is astounding! and hate to say it but people in other countries (i.e. usa) listen to a lot more mandarin music than cantonese music. probably due to the fact that mandarin is a more widespoken language.

yeah some singers canto arent that well at all. i'd prefer them to not sing canto songs lol but the same can be said for canto singers attempting mandarin. natural cantonese speakers have an accent when speaking mandarin. i mean no offense, but when twins speak in mandarin, it hurts.

also guangliang is more specifically from ipoh, malaysia (yay my hometown lol xD) where cantonese is en extremely common language.

#13 amoureux

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

was quite surprised that JJ sang that song in canto. its not bad but i'm still not quite used to it since have always been hearing him sing in mandarin. heard that he understand canto cos his mother's dialect is Cantonese. yeah i think Fish's cantonese is not bad, saw the video she sang with Alex in some concert.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users