AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Racist words related to Asians

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:24 AM

- Jap
- Paki
- Indon
- Gook
- Chink

Those words are offensive word because shortening a country name or the country citizen name are offensive, if you have no time to spell them in full sentence then you better not use it at all. Bu the way, I only rememeber all of that so feel free to add what you know to make this topic become like a dictionary to know what word should not used on calling Asians.

Edited by Asian Guy From Asia, 16 January 2008 - 04:08 AM.

#2 사랑해♡

사랑해♡

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:56 AM

lol, I know that Jap is not polite, they should just say JP
but indon... how can that be rude? even we call indonesia Indo/indon -.-
and there's nothing rude about that..

most people in here when they are racist to asian they will just say You asian
or maybe F***ing asian
or less common is you chinese lol.
I guess european cant tell difference between chinese, korean, and other country lol :P

#3 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

I guess european cant tell difference between chinese, korean, and other country lol :P

Many can actually. However, can you tell the difference between Europeans?

#4 MangoGirl151

MangoGirl151

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

In my opinion i dont think saying Jap is racist, i mean for Australian people we sometimes say Aussies and stuff. Im Japanese well Japanese born in Australia. Well its just my opinion, i dont think its racist, it just depends on how you say it.
If they say like "Oiy Jap" Thats rude and maybe racist. but just saying "Im half Jap and half Aussie" I dont think thats rude or racist.

#5 Lucky_Doraemon

Lucky_Doraemon

Back to reality...T_T

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

I remember calling urself oriental was seen as not racist but demeaning? since oriental is what people describe objects...........not people.

- oriental
- yellow, another racist term?

#6 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

About oriental, they are the Asians who are Chinese descendant. And yes, yellow are a racist term if you use it to call oriental Asian by saying yellow peoples.

#7 Onigiri Sensei

Onigiri Sensei

ASIAN 4 EVER

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

i heard the term
oriental
is pretty racist too

#8 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

Oriental not a racist term, it is widely used by Asians to describe any Asian who look like Chinese.

#9 Onigiri Sensei

Onigiri Sensei

ASIAN 4 EVER

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Oriental not a racist term, it is widely used by Asians to describe any Asian who look like Chinese.

i never said it was
its just what i heard

let me do some research on this

edit:

a forum talking about the term 'oriental being racist"
http://asiansinc.com...l-racist-26989/

hmm well this is different

Edited by Onigiri Sensei, 17 January 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#10 Yabisi

Yabisi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

Oriental doesn't sound racist to me either. It refers to people of East Asia doesn't it?

Anyway most of these aren't bad unless you put a curse word in front of it like f*ckin ___

Some of these make me laugh lol.

Banana - Asian who acts white
Bruised banana- Asian who acts Black
Chigga - Chinese person
FOB - fresh off (the) boat
Ching Chonger (That's actually pretty damn racist lmao)
Chink - I really dunno what this one means, it's because of the slanted eyes or something?
Yellow (People) - color of skin
Flip - filipino
Hadji - that indian kid in johnny quest
Apu - the indian guy in Simpsons
towel head - turban wearing indians

#11 Onigiri Sensei

Onigiri Sensei

ASIAN 4 EVER

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

Oriental doesn't sound racist to me either. It refers to people of East Asia doesn't it?

Anyway most of these aren't bad unless you put a curse word in front of it like f*ckin ___

Chigga - Chinese person
Chink - I really dunno what this one means, it's because of the slanted eyes or something?
Flip - filipino

i looked up oriental on wiki
and it says
it wasnt refered to east/southeast asians till the 60's if i can remember wut i read.

if was more towards to middle eastern type of asians
like saudi arabia and indians

Edited by Onigiri Sensei, 17 January 2008 - 11:43 PM.

#12 Casanova333

Casanova333

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:49 AM

I can... very well actually...

I can tell the difference between people of the slavic descend (Eastern Europe) and Western Europe; I can also tell the difference between Italians and other "dark featured" Europeans; I can also tell the difference between ethic Jews and the non-Jewish Eastern Europeans; and I can tell the difference between light skinned Latin-Americans, South Africans and Europeans too.

Obvious, I mean ethically. If a French girl went and lived in Russia, I would still call her "french" although she might be Russian on her passport.

#13 Lenne

Lenne

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

Calling a Japanese person Jap is very racist. Around the time of WWII, Japanese people were looked down on and those who lived in America were called "Jap" by Americans (things got worse after Pearl Harbor). Surprisingly I got this information from reading a novel and not my history class...

If I want to shorten Japanese, I just use "Japa". Just have to type/write an extra "a" to prevent misunderstandings!

#14 Sakuraso

Sakuraso

~わすれないから~

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

I can tell the difference between people of the slavic descend (Eastern Europe) and Western Europe; I can also tell the difference between Italians and other "dark featured" Europeans; I can also tell the difference between ethic Jews and the non-Jewish Eastern Europeans; and I can tell the difference between light skinned Latin-Americans, South Africans and Europeans too.

Obvious, I mean ethically. If a French girl went and lived in Russia, I would still call her "french" although she might be Russian on her passport.

That wasn't directed at you... >.>;

The difference between East and West is pretty obvious, just like it's pretty obvious if someone's South Europe or North. Although a lot of people on AF can't tell between a Norwegian and an Italian, but get affronted when a non-Asian can't tell a Korean from a Chinese.

#15 mellow_yellow

mellow_yellow

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:52 AM

chink- because the chinese people building the railroads in the u.s during the 1800s used tools that made little "chink" sounds. its basically an onomatopoeia

zipperhead- I think because asian eyes are small so they look like zipped up zippers

#16 사랑해♡

사랑해♡

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1351 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

well i can tell the difference if that was directed to me :P
I live in country of white people
In new zealand, I call this the land of asians or land of migrants.
why? because you can find all kinds of people here.
you can find italian, french, AMerican, British, russian.
so of course, I can distinguish them easily :P
well the only ones I can't is American to australian, but If they talk, I can tell from their accent :P

but European cant really tell much difference...
this is mostly because they hate asians here.
okay, let's face it, this is an asian forum, so if you are here, you must be asian, or if you're not, then you must have like Asian culture.
now if you do, of course you could tell the difference easily.
but what about people that hate asian? I think they can't tell the difference :P
simply because they don't care, what they care is they are asians lol :P

#17 Gordon

Gordon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

There's this chinese fob guy in my history class and we were talking about the japanese invasion in china back in wwii and he kept referring to the japanese soldiers as japs (when he was talking to the teacher) and the teacher kept saying stop calling them japs that's not what they are called.

#18 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

The only peoples who call Japanese as jap are american from u.s.a.

Edited by mars123cc, 06 March 2008 - 01:51 AM.
double post

#19 Ice222

Ice222

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Personally I don't find any of those words to be inherently offensive. Especially not shorted names like Jap or Indo. People shorten things all the time it's just easier to say or type and still get the meaning across. I mean People shorten Hong Kong to HK and call Hong Kong people HKers/Hongers/etc.

I think people need to relax a bit, and learn to take words as they're intended. I'm also from a place where it's very multicultural, generally not racist, and laid back yet the terms are still used. The only difference here is that people don't really get offended. I mean the the euro-asian group at my uni constantly features bananas as their symbol and Asians here even refers to themselves or their friends as FOBs when they screw their English up. Hell even me and my bf calls each other names all the time, if we're at the beach, he could say "you're so yellow you blend into the sand" and I could say "you're so white you glow", then we just laugh at each other. I mean why get offended when you know it's not true?

Btw, Oriental should not be an offensive term. It basically means the same thing as 'Asian' except that it usually refers to Chinese Asian. It's only really offensive because it can sound a bit condescending, sort of like how "you're French-European aren't you?" can sound condescending just because people usually don't use the phrase 'French-European' and just say 'French'. Maybe it's offensive in America or whatever but definitely not offensive here.

#20 TONix

TONix

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:34 AM

Paki is racist ? really ? b/c i know many people of the Pakistani background, and they themselves call THEMSELVED paki.. with pride !

#21 crazy4sushi

crazy4sushi

feed me sushi ^.^

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2217 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

racist comments are made to all cultures everyday, in today's world its just something to get used to, I'm chinese but i dont mind ppl calling me ching or chink, i even use those words towards my friends hahahah..

#22 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

Paki is racist ? really ? b/c i know many people of the Pakistani background, and they themselves call THEMSELVED paki.. with pride !

It is become racist because it is shortening the word Pakistani into Paki, there is no single country with the majority of their peoples shortening their countryman names. The Pakistani who call themselve Paki probably just going along with the flow that hit them, mostly in internet.

#23 AndLoveYelledNO

AndLoveYelledNO

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

I'm sorry but LOLOLOL. Oh please.

Italians are pale, dark, blonde, brunette, etc.
Latin Americans are white, black, amerindian, asian, arab, etc, etc. But yes you can tell where we are from. Give me a break.

#24 Taegeuk

Taegeuk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

ppl do not find it offensive when they call each other around own people, for instance, if a Pakistani says paki to another pakistani, they don't find it offensive, but if another let's say american says paki to a pakistani person, that person will find it offensive. It's the same when you say "negro" or "japs" or other "ching-chong". Í hate these discussions.

#25 jinny_mll

jinny_mll

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

Many western ppl can't see the difference of asians. They sometimes can't even see the difference between two chinese girls. Asian ppl look all the same to them. And it was just a few years ago that i could see the difference between Korean ppl and Japanese ppl

#26 peace2you

peace2you

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

I`ve heard Military guys way back in the day say " Yellow Commie Bastards" when referring to Asians.

I understand yellow, I think commie is short for communisim? maybe? and eveyone knows what bastard is.

I think I even seen this in a movie also.

Edited by peace2you, 27 February 2008 - 07:21 PM.

#27 Ra Kisei~

Ra Kisei~

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

- Jap
- Paki
- Indon
- Gook
- Chink

Those words are offensive word because shortening a country name or the country citizen name are offensive, if you have no time to spell them in full sentence then you better not use it at all. Bu the way, I only rememeber all of that so feel free to add what you know to make this topic become like a dictionary to know what word should not used on calling Asians.

These terms i classify informal but not extremely offensive.
It just depends on connotation.
Personally i use chink all the time, i'm chink myself =].
Usually its acceptable if these terms are use in house, like with friends who are of asian descent.
But if someone else of european descent uses it on a person of that nash of course there would be a bit of offense taken.

By the way-Some Less offensive Abbreviations:
China- CN
Hong Kong- HK
Vietnam- VN
Korean- KN or KRN

#28 K.W. Chan

K.W. Chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:28 AM

i had someone call me a chinaman once. It was extremely insulting. That person happened to be of south-asian descent. so I see some irony in that. It's hard to believe some people can be so mean.

#29 aeeioou

aeeioou

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

I think the meaning of these words depend on the way it's said, and who is saying it. But I guess it's best not to use it anywhere, just so you don't offend anyone.

#30 Total Camwhore

Total Camwhore

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

i think its hilarious when whites say
u CHING CHONG
and yet..us asians
dont even have a fckn clue to wat that means
i dont find it offensive when an asian race call me chinky...or i call them jap...
buh its different if we roll up to some black dude and say: holla person sup ma bro?

#31 peace2you

peace2you

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

i think its hilarious when whites say
u CHING CHONG
and yet..us asians
dont even have a fckn clue to wat that means
i dont find it offensive when an asian race call me chinky...or i call them jap...
buh its different if we roll up to some black dude and say: holla person sup ma bro?

I disagree, I think if you`re cool with black people they have no problem with you saying what they say. I think a lot of people are thinking about the first rush hour movie which was done to make people laugh.

You can`t roll up on a white dude and say racist words with a smile on your face either unless you know them.

These are just internal slangs...stupid, but people do it anyway.

#32 AiMango

AiMango

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:36 AM

shortening a country name or the country citizen name is not the offensive thing... jap was used during wartime, it had nothing to do with lazy typers. and those words arent very racist to me and people in my area, people call me chink all the time and i know theyre just joking around.

#33 5 G RAL

5 G RAL

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

hmm im not sure if any other nationalities do this besides koreans but we call white-washed koreans twinkies and hardcore koreans FOBs (fresh off the boat). and i remember someone got really offended when i called them a twinkie lol >_<;; is that really offending?

#34 TAKE4ever

TAKE4ever

테이크 ♥

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1834 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:20 AM

wow. i never knew that saying "jap" was an offensive term. i just get lazy, and if i ever talked about japanese ppl, i would just say "jap." the thing is, what one views as an offensive term, might not be the same for others, and that's what causes problems.

and i didn't think callin someone a twinkie was offensive as well..:unsure: i'll just believe that depending on the ppl, and who they're saying these words to, the "badness": of the word will vary

#35 Falstaff

Falstaff

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Actually, 'jap' is also a term to refer to spoiled Jewish girls.

#36 engmany

engmany

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

I don't think it's offensive....by the way, I think Patan is the right way to call Pakistani people

#37 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:59 AM

The term jap is very insulting to most Japanese, so you better not keep repeating using that word. If you are lazy to type peoples pride name then just don't type. A countryan name is the pride of the peopels from that country. Spelling it wrong or half by half will hurt them, you will fell the same if there are someone who spell your countryman name wrong.

#38 chimagun

chimagun

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

Chigga - Chinese person
Flip - filipino

flip actually stands for fcking little island people
nd i always thought chigga was a chinese person that was actting black

also sand n*gger is for arabs

Edited by chimagun, 14 March 2008 - 05:54 AM.

#39 ae86

ae86

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:03 AM

I think the reason that Jap, and nip, are derogatory is because those terms were used in a derogatory manner during World War II. This resulted in the term continuing to carry the derogatory baggage to this day.

JPN and JP are common abbreviations for Japan.

Edited by ae86, 14 March 2008 - 06:07 AM.

#40 Asian Guy From Asia

Asian Guy From Asia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:02 AM

Yes JPN and JP used for Japanse indentification in international activity such as sport, Japanese imports and Internet extention.