AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Do the Japanese idolize Americans?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

I know if some parts of Tokyo they have US Western-style sports bars where they watch American baseball and dress up like cowboys and sing country/western songs, and Japanese hip-hop is influenced by American hip-hop.

Is it true they love American culture and try to copy it?

#2 xyzhk

xyzhk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

i would only say it's getting more "Americalization" but not idiolize yet... On the other hand, the japanese culture has a greater influence to usa comparing to the old days.

#3 Takeru

Takeru

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:36 AM

lol.
other way around boy.
the japanese yeah i would say got influenced. but
the americans are wayyyyy more influenced. and yes
many americans do idolize the japanese because of their culture.

#4 skYmaster

skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

No, I don´t think so. It is more the other way. The americans are more "japanized".

#5 finangle

finangle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

well, they did, not so sure now...
during the time of the Pacific War n stuff... just before that war, they did worship the Americans... bein the biggest power, but now, haha i dno... i mean everything is more settled
Japanese car's one of the best in the world for everyday people n they have alot of good stuff so yea...

#6 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

lol.
other way around boy.
the japanese yeah i would say got influenced. but
the americans are wayyyyy more influenced. and yes
many americans do idolize the japanese because of their culture.

How many American things do the Japanese like? I know in some parts of Japan the young people are into rap culture and try to copy American styles of dress.

#7 bigfanofleah

bigfanofleah

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:12 AM

i say that's a big YES.

why? take a look at anime. although it's 100% japanese, there's one thing that most people are not familiar about.

the reason why anime characters you now see have BIG eyes because the older generation of japanese animators were greatly influenced by WALT DISNEY's greatest creation... MICKEY MOUSE.

aren't walt disney and mickey mouse (or sort of...) americans?

#8 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

i say that's a big YES.

why? take a look at anime. although it's 100% japanese, there's one thing that most people are not familiar about.

the reason why anime characters you now see have BIG eyes because the older generation of japanese animators were greatly influenced by WALT DISNEY's greatest creation... MICKEY MOUSE.

aren't walt disney and mickey mouse (or sort of...) americans?

Concerning the anime, it's true that they were influenced by Walt Disney animations, but they gradually developed an own style. It's now that some American series like Avatar take inspiration from certain anime, that's because the Japanese have almost perfected the animation shows. How it originated was due to inspiration, that's different than idolizing. Same goes that argument that some people use to say that the characters they draw look white, why they aren't is explained here. Besides that I do think that the majority of Japanese people are fond of Americans, why I think like that I don't know. Some people say that they always feel different from Asia, like they did feel in the post war with their patriotic feelings. They felt closer to the Western countries than to China or some other countries. I don't know….

#9 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:43 AM

Concerning the anime, it's true that they were influenced by Walt Disney animations, but they gradually developed an own style. It's now that some American series like Avatar take inspiration from certain anime, that's because the Japanese have almost perfected the animation shows. How it originated was due to inspiration, that's different than idolizing. Same goes that argument that some people use to say that the characters they draw look white, why they aren't is explained here. Besides that I do think that the majority of Japanese people are fond of Americans, why I think like that I don't know. Some people say that they always feel different from Asia, like they did feel in the post war with their patriotic feelings. They felt closer to the Western countries than to China or some other countries. I don't know….

It seems like they want to be American-if they like the US so much how come more Japanese don't move here?

#10 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

It seems like they want to be American-if they like the US so much how come more Japanese don't move here?

I never met Japanese people, nor have I been to Japan, so I don't know. From what I know is from forums and movies, so my statements might be untrue and highly generalizing. I think many Japanese people like to be Japanese. Japan is one of the most homogeneous country, only >2% exist of foreigners. I heard stories that they dislike other Asian races, but when it's another caucasian then it's fine. That was due to that they felt closer to the Western countries in terms of technology and advance lifestyle in past time. The movie "Go" from Isao Yukisada holds a message concerning the discrimination against allochthones in Japan and position of Japanese women in household. So to a certain extent I don't think that my impression of them is entirely untrue, although I don't hold a grunge against Japanese people :)

#11 AiMango

AiMango

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

^ actually there are some areas in japan where they dont allow foreigners at all.

although there is an impact from american culture on the Japanese, i dont think it is that strong. My views may be biased from doramas and anime, but I can see for a fact that the Japanese still have their own distinct culture.

bigfanofleah: about anime.. sure thats how anime originated, but if you look at anime they have now, it certainly is a total japanese thing. you dont see koreans making as successful anime as japanese do.

Because they'd be leaving their friends, relatives, whole country aside. And they'll have language barriers.. Lots of factors to think about here.

#12 xeverex21

xeverex21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

TOKYO is the capitol of Japan. Americans is the center of tourism. There are a lot of troops stationed in Japan and they are very good at spending because they don't care about cost. So in order for JN to capitalize on that, they make things more homely.

#13 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

Place where they don't allow foreigners? That's simply racist. I agree that Japan do have his own distinct culture, it's sometimes quite obvious whether it's Japanese or not :)

#14 crannie

crannie

타는 냄새 안 나요?

• Global Ministers
  • 840 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

Place where they don't allow foreigners? That's simply racist.

yeah its true. one of the places i went with a few friends in japan was the famous tsukiji fish market (where we had the greatest breakfast in our entire lives) and although most stalls were accomodating and friendly towards the large number of foreigners there, there was one sign outside one stall saying "japanese people only"

we were like.. errrr whats up with that

i'm sure that one stall does not speak for the vast majority of japanese culture though

i also found it funny walkin through shinjuku and shibuya with my gf, and we were walkin in and out of all the clothing stores and department store levels, and the vast majority (dare i say, about 80%) of stores were playin english language music (they love their ne-yo and timbaland, and even more surprising, ricki-lee coulter from australia), yet when you try to ask them questions in english nobody understands haha.

kinda mirrors myself and how i listen to asian music...

#15 bigfanofleah

bigfanofleah

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Just because the Japanese are fond of Americans doesn't mean they have to move there.

#16 Seiyagy

Seiyagy

Wwaaahhh!!

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

yeah its true. one of the places i went with a few friends in japan was the famous tsukiji fish market (where we had the greatest breakfast in our entire lives) and although most stalls were accomodating and friendly towards the large number of foreigners there, there was one sign outside one stall saying "japanese people only"

we were like.. errrr whats up with that

i'm sure that one stall does not speak for the vast majority of japanese culture though

i also found it funny walkin through shinjuku and shibuya with my gf, and we were walkin in and out of all the clothing stores and department store levels, and the vast majority (dare i say, about 80%) of stores were playin english language music (they love their ne-yo and timbaland, and even more surprising, ricki-lee coulter from australia), yet when you try to ask them questions in english nobody understands haha.

kinda mirrors myself and how i listen to asian music...

I knew that some parts of Japan were forbidden for foreigners: some of the hot springs. In the hot springs you'll need to bath naked, foreigners not custom to this Japanese custom go in spring with bathing suits and all. It's not hygienic and that's some of the springs got signs like no foreigners allowed. It's understandable, yet still racist.

I don't know about the stalls though. Having them playing western music doesn't mean anything at all. Western music is listened worldwide, although many of the people don't understand what the artist is singing. Quite funny when they listen, eventhough vice versa it's not the same: how many Western people do actually listen to Asian music? Almost zero. By the way, wasn't shibuya famous for it's Japanese suburban dressing culture?

Keke, you're like me. I got quite a lot of Asian music and only a small percentage of Cantonese music is understandable. The rest of the Cantonese music is too complicated. The manderin, Japanese and some Korean I listen is due to the nice beat and easy going vocals.

Edited by Seiyagy, 24 March 2008 - 01:25 PM.

#17 superjen

superjen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

yess they so do!! when i go to japan, my japanese friends always talk about american celebrities and movies, etc. im like errr.. i dont know n e thing cause only watch tvb and listen to chinese music =.="

#18 Eyecandy Lens

Eyecandy Lens

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, it is strange sometimes as to how they idolise Western cultures (esp. American and French) so much...you always see things like "Happy Toilet Paper" and "L'arc-en-ciel Bakery" in Japan. How could they have come to praise Americans after the atomic bomb and WWII though?

#19 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:53 PM

When they make anime why don't they come up with their own style of music as opposed to copying Americans tyles of music-metal, rap, etc.?

#20 xeverex21

xeverex21

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, it is strange sometimes as to how they idolise Western cultures (esp. American and French) so much...you always see things like "Happy Toilet Paper" and "L'arc-en-ciel Bakery" in Japan. How could they have come to praise Americans after the atomic bomb and WWII though?

The reasons for WW2 isn't relatively big in the school books, and if the US Navy 7th fleet isn't stationed in Japan, China would be in Japan and not Tibet.

When they make anime why don't they come up with their own style of music as opposed to copying Americans tyles of music-metal, rap, etc.?

Maybe you have been watching too much cartoon network? Why don't America make their own anime and not just dub JPN anime?

#21 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:23 PM

Why are the Japanese obseesed with making anime characters look caucasian?

Are the Japanese big American baseball fans? I've seen some people in Japan walking around with Yankee caps.

#22 noob777

noob777

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

I think everywhere kind of has an interest in cultures which they don't really understand or is very distant and different. I think that some of japanese is influenced by american culture while americans are also influence by japanese culture in some form.

#23 kahoumono

kahoumono

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

I think part of the American appeal for them is ideals of freedom of expression. Not being Japanese I have no idea what I am talking about, I am just making observations. Their culture seems to be very traditional and ritualistic. Thus the pop culture icons like cowboys and rappers who express themselves and rebel against the mainstream may be attractive. And vice versa, a lot of westerners are into Karate or Kendo because of the disipline and rules. Also for many years the US has been the largest economy and to succeed you need to understand the people so the Japanese would naturally need to immerse themselves in the culture to thrive as they have.

Come on, how many people know western friends who own a katana/wakasashi sword set...lame.

#24 simOOn

simOOn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

I think it pretty much works both way. Westerners influence Japanese in one way and Japanese influence Westerns in some other things.

#25 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

I have a general question about anime-how come they don't make anime that takes place in the US and why do they make us blacks look like racist caricatures or stereotypes?

Edited by Mavericker, 17 April 2008 - 02:40 AM.

#26 BesaMiPiel

BesaMiPiel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

I have a general question about anime-how come they don't make anime that takes place in the US and why do they make us blacks look like racist caricatures or stereotypes?

Majority of Westerners think anime is stupid.

#27 Jae

Jae

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

Answer is no. Sure some Japanese might idolize some WESTERN entertainment, but the Japanese in general are very very prideful and PATRIOTIC and wish nothing but to be Japanese. Also, someone asked why you don't see many Japanese moving to the US. Simply b/c Japan is as advanced and modern as the US with a much better fuel efficiency way of living, why would they leave?

#28 Choco ~ Latte

Choco ~ Latte

AF Noob Translator

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26099 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Uh thats not true.. ive been to japan and theu do not worship americans. They treated me like any other asian girl in japan :unsure:
Its true that there is alot of influence from the states but in the states theres alot of japanese influence too.
Sushi bars are all over the place and of course japaense cars. but does that mean that japanese people are idolize? no right?

#29 Artificial Sweetener

Artificial Sweetener

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:33 AM

isn't it more the other way round?

its the american that gets ideas off the japanese like the grudges movie they copied and theres tecnhicques with how business's run that japaneses has invented that they've also adapted (like Just-In-Time....if theres any business people about)

and japanese are way more advanced in technology. they are all techno junkies and are obssessed. americans would be the ones copying their makes and stuff.

not saying its a bad thing just i would hardly say the japanese idolises the americans.

#30 AngelAngel

AngelAngel

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1881 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:04 AM

I won't say they do. But I have heard stories about how the white foreign exchange students are really popular. This is in the metropolises of course. And when I look at their fashion magazines (okay, I only read Vivi...) I see a lot of white/mixed models. And I think certain Japanese fashion styles have been influenced by the west. Like the Lolita style is basically something that resembles a Victorian style porcelain doll and the ganguru style...

I know there are Americans who idolized Japanese but I don't really think Japanophiles, which are basically a small niche demographic can be used to represent America as a whole...

#31 vanbao

vanbao

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

I honestly think it's both. There are aspect of Japanese culture that really fascinate the Americans and vise sersa. Both are great countries with great cultures so it is only inevitable that they respect and try to learn from each other.

#32 joykimlee

joykimlee

WGM Joongbo addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1714 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

Works both ways. Japanese luv Avril. Americans luv anime.

#33 muta

muta

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

No, Japanese don't idolize Americans

#34 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

No, I don´t think so. It is more the other way. The americans are more "japanized".

That's probably the reason why we don't see too much TV and movies from other countries in Asia other than Japan. Maybe most Americans think Japanese culture surpasses other Asian cultures?

#35 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

Everyone knows chopsticks, martial arts, ninjas, samurais, ricehats, sumo, sushi, eggrolls / noodles / rice / soy / tofu, are all part of Asian culture / heritage. who's never seen or heard of these things?

It's not surprising to hear some people associate Japanese things with Chinese or say they "came from China". EVEN IF they have their roots traced all the way back to ancient China ... it doesn't mean you should mix up the two. If someone said samurais or sumos are from China, that's incorrect. When you think of eggrolls, do you think Chinese or Japanese? I don't know if "eggrolls" exist as Jap food, but I think most people are referring to springrolls. Both cultures have springrolls, although maybe "sort of different yet similiar" types (they're both fried and similiar shape)

eggrolls are just another word for springrolls here in the west. it's the same thing. as far as I know, "real eggrolls" is a type of snack that's yellow, dry, hollow and tube like, and of course, made from eggs. you would find them in square metal tins.

someone once said to me tofu is from Japan. I said it's from China. Was she wrong? No, but she failed to acknowledge I was also right. Both China and Japan have tofu

I wouldn't be surprised if they said kimonos or a hanbok is Chinese. when people see a ricehat, I doubt they stop to think "exactly where it's from". They were worn in both China and Japan. when you see nunchuks, do you think it's a Chinese weapon? no, it's Japanese, although Bruce Lee made it famous and I think they have their roots in China (from the 3 section staff)

When they go to a Chinese restaurant that might happen to serve sushi, do they think it's Chinese? and no, sushi is not just "raw fish". the correct term for "raw fish" alone is sashimi. sushi are rice rolls, usually with the seaweed wrapping (inside or out), although they can vary in different shapes and have raw fish OR NOT, or filled with other things instead (avacado, cucumber, etc.

there's Buddah in all main, IF NOT EVERY, East / South East Asian culture. Maybe differrent stories or versions of Buddah, but still Buddah. I don't know if there's Buddah or Buddism with Korea, but maybe. I heard there are Korean Christians and Korean churches.
and I guess Buddism is a main religion among some Viets, because some Viet girl once said she was Buddhist. and no, she did not have a shaved head. she didn't wear robes or any other "Asian clothes", at least not around us.
she dressed like everyone else at work. So, no don't think all Buddhists are monks with shaved heads and robes

westernized Asians are less likely Buddhist, but still possibly. they can be Buddhist, Christian, atheist, etc.

People don't stop to think of these things. They just say Asian or Chinese

Edited by Goldencarp, 31 January 2011 - 01:00 AM.

#36 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:43 AM

Everyone knows chopsticks, martial arts, ninjas, samurais, ricehats, sumo, sushi, eggrolls / noodles / rice / soy / tofu, are all part of Asian culture / heritage. who's never seen or heard of these things?

It's not surprising to hear some people associate Japanese things with Chinese or say they "came from China". EVEN IF they have their roots traced all the way back to ancient China ... it doesn't mean you should mix up the two. If someone said samurais or sumos are from China, that's incorrect. When you think of eggrolls, do you think Chinese or Japanese? I don't know if "eggrolls" exist as Jap food, but I think most people are referring to springrolls. Both cultures have springrolls, although maybe "sort of different yet similiar" types (they're both fried and similiar shape)

eggrolls are just another word for springrolls here in the west. it's the same thing. as far as I know, "real eggrolls" is a type of snack that's yellow, dry, hollow and tube like, and of course, made from eggs. you would find them in square metal tins.

someone once said to me tofu is from Japan. I said it's from China. Was she wrong? No, but she failed to acknowledge I was also right. Both China and Japan have tofu

I wouldn't be surprised if they said kimonos or a hanbok is Chinese. when people see a ricehat, I doubt they stop to think "exactly where it's from". They were worn in both China and Japan. when you see nunchuks, do you think it's a Chinese weapon? no, it's Japanese, although Bruce Lee made it famous and I think they have their roots in China (from the 3 section staff)

When they go to a Chinese restaurant that might happen to serve sushi, do they think it's Chinese? and no, sushi is not just "raw fish". the correct term for "raw fish" alone is sashimi. sushi are rice rolls, usually with the seaweed wrapping (inside or out), although they can vary in different shapes and have raw fish OR NOT, or filled with other things instead (avacado, cucumber, etc.

there's Buddah in all main, IF NOT EVERY, East / South East Asian culture. Maybe differrent stories or versions of Buddah, but still Buddah. I don't know if there's Buddah or Buddism with Korea, but maybe. I heard there are Korean Christians and Korean churches.
and I guess Buddism is a main religion among some Viets, because some Viet girl once said she was Buddhist. and no, she did not have a shaved head. she didn't wear robes or any other "Asian clothes", at least not around us.
she dressed like everyone else at work. So, no don't think all Buddhists are monks with shaved heads and robes

westernized Asians are less likely Buddhist, but still possibly. they can be Buddhist, Christian, atheist, etc.

People don't stop to think of these things. They just say Asian or Chinese

Yes, but when Americans think of Chinese entertainment what do they think of? Kung-Fu movies and tv shows and movies with people like Jackie Chan and Jet Li.
They used to have AZN Network- a network on cable/satellite TV devoted to Asian programming-it featured programming form all over Asia.
The only other programs I hear about from China are the ones they show on TVs in Chinese restaruants which cosutmers don't get to see.
They usually show Japanese programming and specials on American TV- how come they don't show programming from other Asian countries on American TV?
Why is it they will show tech shows from Japan on American TV, but not tech shows from China, Taiwan or Korea? THey make tech there also.

Edited by Mavericker, 01 February 2011 - 06:48 AM.

#37 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

They have American companies bring over anime, yet they don't show Asian dramas and TV shows here. I think they're just afraid to get people interested in them, whereas anime seems to perpetuate the idea of "white envy" and since they're cartoons anyway, they don't expect to be taken seriously

IF there was a movie with Asian heroes and a white girl ... what are the odds they would show it here? I doubt it. What was interesting, was I once watched a movie which a black guy and an Asian guy were best friends. The black guy went to Asia and got killed and the Asian guy went out to avenge him, while also rescuing a black girl, who somewhere near the end, thanked him and I think there was possibly a part where they kissed. She wasn't like some "b*tchy or tough girl" stereotype, her role was some wh*re who worked for a pimp and he saved her ass, doing all the action

I don't remember the name of the movie

Edited by Goldencarp, 01 February 2011 - 07:18 AM.

#38 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

They have American companies bring over anime, yet they don't show Asian dramas and TV shows here. I think they're just afraid to get people interested in them, whereas anime seems to perpetuate the idea of "white envy" and since they're cartoons anyway, they don't expect to be taken seriously

IF there was a movie with Asian heroes and a white girl ... what are the odds they would show it here? I doubt it. What was interesting, was I once watched a movie which a black guy and an Asian guy were best friends. The black guy went to Asia and got killed and the Asian guy went out to avenge him, while also rescuing a black girl, who somewhere near the end, thanked him and I think there was possibly a part where they kissed. She wasn't like some "b*tchy or tough girl" stereotype, her role was some wh*re who worked for a pimp and he saved her ass, doing all the action

I don't remember the name of the movie

G4TV constantly shows Tokyo eletronics and gaming expos on TV. Why wouldn't Americans be interested in tech from Hong Kong, Korea or Taiwan? I am- the Japanese stuff gets boring.

#39 bawero

bawero

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Japan is one of the nations leading in technology so it's not weird to report their latest technology. I don't really see HK or Taiwan produce any technology. As for Korea, most of the technologies are invented by Japanese and then sold in Korean companies.

As for do japanese idolize americans? It works both way. Most of the Americans movies are nice while Japan is famous with their animation.

#40 Mavericker

Mavericker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Japan is one of the nations leading in technology so it's not weird to report their latest technology. I don't really see HK or Taiwan produce any technology. As for Korea, most of the technologies are invented by Japanese and then sold in Korean companies.

As for do japanese idolize americans? It works both way. Most of the Americans movies are nice while Japan is famous with their animation.

Here's a link to an electronics expo they had in Hong Kong:

Hong Kong trade show

and one they had in Taiwan:

http://docs.google.c...yq0AHnLXq9aF6Rw

and one in Korea:

http://tradeshow.glo...S-SHOW/HOME.HTM

The point I'm making is is that these trade shows should be televised - not everyone has a computer with internet access.

Edited by Mavericker, 03 February 2011 - 04:06 PM.