how can you tell if a jade is real?

11 replies to this topic

#1 .:ecila:.

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

Edited by .:ecila:., 28 May 2008 - 03:50 AM.

#2 psmith

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

It is hard to tell a jade is real or not but someone told the green colour must look naturally instead of deep green.

#3 1xviet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

i heard really jade is always cold/cool when you touch it..

#4 rain_bow

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

when you wear it for awhile the green turns into a darker shade.

#5 jlau0630

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

well when my mom was buying some jade, the person who owned the jewellery store demonstrated that real jade, when you strike it against....umm...some sort of instrument (be careful not to strike too hard or with anything that would damange it) it should have a very crystal clear pinging sound and fake jade will have an ugly clunking sound

#6 cpxpimpintrainin

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:08 AM

yeah i heard that too. when its real jade the longer you put it on to touch your skin it grows deeper green. but then you wouldnt know until you had it on for a while. i dont know any other way to tell.

#7 jy123

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

i guess its hard to tell from just looking at it. Its better to bring it to the expert and check.

#8 ahseng

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

Depends on what type of jade your talking about..
theres different types of grades of jade
This is what i heard when i went on a jade factory tour in china

Jadite is the type when you wear it for 1+ years, it grows a greener if your body is healthy, and darker if your body. This is because jadite still has roots from the original stone, which feed of things which your body produces (e.g body sweat), and thats how its able to tell if your body healthy or not.

You can apparently test if its real jadite by tieing a few strands of hair around the jadiete, and using a lighter and burning the jadite. If the hair burns then it is apaprently not real. Now this... i wouldnt try my self as jadite is expensive...but somebody can trial it if they want :P

And yeah, theres the test where if its real jade, when you close your hands around the jade for about 10 seconds, if its still cold, then its real and the sound test.

but still.. jade-experts are still best option :D

#9 s2Wennie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

You clink it against metal (or another peice of Jade) and it should have a *smth sound* (sorry not sure) but if you clink it against metal and it has a metallic sound, I'm sure it's fake.

If you smash against something really hard, it shouldn't break because Jade is very hard. Over time Jade will become a darker and more rich colour.

#10 Piney Fine

Mrs. Fine Pine

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:23 AM

Not all jades are green. My mom has a real jade that's white. Yeah, the metal test will prove if the jade is real or not. But my suggestion is to take it to a jeweler or someone licensed to prove the authenticity of the jade.

#11 QuackieChau

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

I've heard that real jade is always cool to the touch. Also the color should be "clear" and not muted. It's kind of hard to describe. I also know there's some kind of sound test because I've seen people hold jade to their ear, but I don't know what that's all about.

#12 edd80

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

I've also visited a jade factory in Beijing.They demonstrated a sound test by striking a metal piece against an authentic piece of jade and a fake one.There was really a difference in the type of sound.Also they showed how to put the jade under lighting and what you should see is clusters of what resembles to be 'clouds' because fakes ones have a consistent solid appearance under lighting.Genuine ones will change colour the longer one wears it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users