AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Meeting boyfriend's Parents for the first time..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Swt Angel

Swt Angel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 3 years.

I never meet his parents because we met each other in the USA. We are very serious about our relationship.

We will be going to China in a month and This is the FIRST TIME I MEET his PARENTS & FAMILIES and will be STAYING WITH THEM for about a month

-How I should behave or what I should expect?
-What do chinese parents expect of their son's gf?
-Can we stay in the same room together or we should be in different rooms?
-I am asian, but i cant speak Chinese, so probably cant speak with them much.
This is my first time meeting any parents, so please give me advises

Thank you for your help

Edited by Swt Angel, 15 April 2008 - 02:47 AM.

#2 yanio9

yanio9

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:52 AM

u now need behave good .... but be yourself of cos u need respect the two adults .... u from USA sure very open minded but if they parents is from china maybe not open minded like your parents ... so behave good girl .... help her mum when cooking dish dont be lazy like princess

#3 BesaMiPiel

BesaMiPiel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:55 AM

u now need behave good .... but be yourself of cos u need respect the two adults .... u from USA sure very open minded but if they parents is from china maybe not open minded like your parents ... so behave good girl .... help her mum when cooking dish dont be lazy like princess

Wow, Asians are so different!

I would say her parents should not mind who their son decides to date. It is none of their business and they should respect you.

But I do agree, help with the dishes... show decency...

#4 bangbangyouredead_x

bangbangyouredead_x

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

I think with Chinese parents, you should be very polite. I'm only 14, so I'm not sure about meeting bf's parents... Whenever my friends come over they always call my parents 'Auntie' and 'Uncle' but since you are the gf, maybe just call them Mr. and Mrs. (insert name here) which would be okay because you are not accustomed to Chinese traditions and stuff.

Be really polite. Offer to help with cooking, washing dishes, etc. They might try to give you lots of food. Best thing to do is to eat at least one helping of each thing and compliment the mom's cooking (if she does cook) or just say the food is really nice. Also offer to help with household chores like washing clothes, etc.

I think they will only expect you to be very polite, and offer to help with things.

Maybe they will like it better if you were in seperate rooms though. Not sure. If it were my parents, me and my bf would definitely be in seperate rooms (were he visiting and we were twenty-something, of course), but that might only be because I am a girl...

Maybe you should try learning some simple Chinese phrases like hello, thank you, etc.