AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Using only water to wash your face?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 nike 00

nike 00

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

I started getting acne a few years back when I started puberty, around that time I started using facial products and now that I look back I think using face products made everything worst.. I mean my face got so bad I had to take accutane (last resort for acne)..

I asked my parents if they had bad acne when they were growing up.. they said barely and it was mild. I also found out the only thing they used to wash their face was water.. Also Ive noticed that washing only with water has made my face less oily, I mean when I used a cleanser, my face would be oily in like 2 hours.. friends would always be like.. what are you always sweating? (thinking my oily face was sweat)

My skin is better now, just some red marks left and some occasional zits.. but I don't use any facial products anymore... the only thing I use is water 2 times a day.. do you think this is better??

#2 cheryltan

cheryltan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

For me, water alone is not enough to get rid of the oil.
I normally just use a normal unscented facial cleanser and not those super expensive branded ones. It works great for me so far.

#3 Choco ~ Latte

Choco ~ Latte

AF Noob Translator

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26099 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

My mom told me that during puberty thats when ur skin is the most sensitive so if u started using products when its not ready then it will end up making it worse.
from ur story i think its true.

i am 18 and i wash my fare with cold water 3 times a day. however when i have make up on i would wash it with a cleaser and then watet afterwards to get rid of the makeup. And then at night i put on lotion so to help it.
I think that just water alone is good for you. u could try some lotion cuz dry skin causes breakouts.

#4 nike 00

nike 00

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

My mom told me that during puberty thats when ur skin is the most sensitive so if u started using products when its not ready then it will end up making it worse.
from ur story i think its true.

i am 18 and i wash my fare with cold water 3 times a day. however when i have make up on i would wash it with a cleaser and then watet afterwards to get rid of the makeup. And then at night i put on lotion so to help it.
I think that just water alone is good for you. u could try some lotion cuz dry skin causes breakouts.

actually my skin is already oily.. my mom's skin is oily so yea..
yea the skin being most sensitive during puberty is probabaly right.. I mean right after I started getting blackheads on my nose I rushed to the store and go some harsh face products.. I kept on going back to the products even though they made it worse..

Edited by nike 00, 20 June 2008 - 04:51 PM.

#5 Ah_Shu

Ah_Shu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

try ST.Ives...they have like specific ones and its inexpensive

#6 QuackieChau

QuackieChau

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1931 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

I start breaking out if I wash my face with only water for awhile. It definitely took a long time for me to find a product that worked for me though. For the longest time, it seemed like my acne got worse with whatever I tried. Especially with all those salicylic acid acne washes.

#7 juan

juan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:10 AM

i use biore ice cleanser and toner. it removes the oil and toner stops the dry effect of the cleanser.

#8 My Last Breath

My Last Breath

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

i only wash my face with water.. (warm to hot) and then after i put moisturiser on. (oil free). and i dont get pimples hardly... when i do its cause i use moisturiser with oil in it.. but only minor..

#9 Cattt!

Cattt!

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

If it works for you.. you should keep it up =]

There's no point in wasting money on products that make it worse.

#10 whoami1234

whoami1234

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

I've only just used water to wash my face, i know it doesn't clean all the oils away. But i find soap dries out my face too much.

#11 preciosobaby

preciosobaby

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

same!! water is the best for my skin too ^^ and savlon is great anticeptic cream =)

#12 Subtle Red

Subtle Red

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

I've never suffered bad acne but I know some who have.

Some products unclog pores hence the illusion of oiliness. And realistically it defers with everyone, age, weather, food, etc at the time you detected a lack of oiliness.

The thing with acne is that the bacteria can spread to other areas of skin & infect clean areas. So water alone even though healthy will not prevent further breakouts or assist with existing acne. Now-a-days there are hypoallergenic products for sensitive skins, not as harsh on skins.

#13 pic85

pic85

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:26 AM

yeah, i use St.Ives too and it's not that expensive. Plus they work for me so i really like it. They have for all skin type

#14 AngelAngel

AngelAngel

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1881 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:29 AM

did you ever use moisturizers? Because if you only use a cleanser than your skin becomes too dry and you body will produce more oil on the face because too dry is bad for your skin as well.

But really, before eighteen if you were to use any products, cleanser and moisturizer is all you really need. Maybe a mask once in a while.

#15 tracey_

tracey_

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:20 AM

throughout the years.. i have washed my face twice a day with cleanser or just water in the morning and cleanser at night. cleaning w/ cleanser twice a day makes my skin pretty dry (except w/ st ives). right now i only use cleanser at night. its easier that way anyway lol

#16 Melinaa

Melinaa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

I use a scrub and moisteriser (Clean & Clear), but I still break out sometimes.
But my older brother only uses water and his face is completely clear, I mean, no blemishes at all.

Maybe all these fancy acne products actually make your face worse?
I dunno; I'm too scared to try just water because I'm afraid I'll sprout out with zits overnight.

#17 bouncing_star

bouncing_star

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

For me i have to use skin care products to rid the oil on my face. I always have a thick layer of oil of me face, especially near the nose area in the morning and water doesn't do much becasue it's hydrophobic; won't budge trying to get the oil off lol. Good that you only use H2O becasue all those artifical products are drying up my skin.

#18 花媽

花媽

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:08 AM

i use water...but then it makes my skin dry after , so i put lotion on. dunno if its' helping though. i've stopped using those face washes.

#19 F4154

F4154

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

i think is true cos when i was young i also water to wash my face and no acne/pimples appear but i also think is depends on your skin type

#20 ajay

ajay

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

I wash my face thrice a day with cold water and at night I apply the paste of turmuric and sandlewood, Is it good for my oily skin or not? Because any type of face wash and lotion give me an allergetic effect on my skin making it reddish.

#21 juan

juan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

agree, water is not enough to get rid of oil. i use biore ice cleanser. its cool... but cold during the winter

#22 Penelopeee

Penelopeee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:12 AM

theres nothing wrong with using only water to wash face.. recommend use cleanser on summer days to wash off the greece cleanly

#23 lazifock

lazifock

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:59 AM

most of the time i use water only but i use face cleansers after going out too long and after activities

#24 scypEr

scypEr

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:42 AM

some people do
but it depends

i prefer a cleanser because i have combo skin =\

#25 ha__yourfaceee.

ha__yourfaceee.

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

I use a cleanser scrub every morning and night.

Water alone doesn't do it for me.
My sister tried that, and she started breaking out like crazy.

#26 ifockie

ifockie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

i think water is good enough for a regular wash but if you have been out for too long, then you should use the cleansing cream

#27 bebexd

bebexd

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

water works great for some kinda reason...
but at night i like to cleanse w/ pond's white beauty...
i'd stick w/ water if it's working for ya!~

#28 hyuk_berry

hyuk_berry

silver-은-perfection

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:45 AM

water alone is usually not enough to keep a clean face and get rid of oil along with the dirt that finds its way into the pores.
But looks like it's working for you.
I have different face washes for different things. There's ones for pores to clean them out and that works really well.
If you noticed that the products aren't working for you then you should just stick to what you're doing until your skin is ready to use them.
it might be that your skin is just really sensitive.
just remember to wash your face a lot if it's just water. warm water works wonders for me.

#29 Christalle

Christalle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

If you have oily skin, you should use a gentle facetoner after your cleanser.
And use a facialscrub and a exfoliating mask once a week.

#30 LittleDream

LittleDream

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

water only its cant get the oil off, i have oily skin. :)

i wash my face by soap two times a day or more. :)

#31 maryl522

maryl522

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

for me water is not enough... ill use cleanser day and night... and it keeps me acne free

#32 diopatra

diopatra

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

i am always careful on what i use on my face.

only water? does this mean you dont use any soap? if that's the case, water is not enough for me.
i live in the city, with all the smoke and pollution, my face would be like a moon craters in a weeks time if i dont use soap.

#33 Guest_natsukix3_*

Guest_natsukix3_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

for me i only need water. i havent had a puberty outbreak or anything like that... yet D: hopefully i wont. but i only wash my face with water, because i think tht if you use products, you'll have to keep using them? which in the long run, is pretty tiring D; but yeah. water works fine for me, and all my friends love my skin (: so im happy with the result ~

#34 shwinlewin

shwinlewin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Well I noticed that as I use products that contain alcohol and those little scrubs thing? It makes the face worse. There are those facial soaps you can buy which doesn't damage the face skin but washes the dirty dirts out. Sometimes you also just have to do facial once a month =].

#35 FreeSpace

FreeSpace

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

i've always used water... i've had the same problem as you... it all became worse so i just used water and now i have baby skin again :)

#36 Guest_superoxide09_*

Guest_superoxide09_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:33 PM

There are a lot of causes for acne: hormones (including cortisol from stress), diet/eating habits, and/or using certain facial products. I didn't have the same problem as you, but I did have acne in my first year of University 'cause my eating habits changed drastically plus the added stress.

My suggestions to you:

1) Try using St. Ives apricot scrubs, or Clean and Clear cleansers. Neutrogena may work for you, but it didn't for me. After using the cleanser, make sure you put a light moisturizer on your face or at least a thin layer of facial lotion, to prevent really dry/oily skin.

2) Be more active; relieve your stress (if you have any).

3) Eat more foods with vitamins A, C, E, and K. Examples: carrots, cucumbers, spinach, oranges/citric fruits, broccoli, peppers (red, orange, yellow, green)

4) If all of those^ don't work, go to a dermatologist.

Good luck =)

#37 dominyqz

dominyqz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

well, era like our parents couldn't b compared with ours since during their time, its lesser pollution .. dust .. even their diet is very different (less chemicals or wut so ever) .. so it's normal for them to have better skin and also doesn't need to fuss over skin care product too much .. but nowadays, our world had change .. pollution is everywhere and also our diet is much more unhealthy .. so zits and bad skins are common .. it'll b better for u to use a facial wash .. try finding those that is gel-like and avoid creamy facial wash

#38 pooh_tau

pooh_tau

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

for me i like to use just water too..
whenever i use those cleansers..i'll get acne....or like my skin will turn red or sth....
like i tried a few different brand too and it's like that..
so now i try to just use water to wash it....so i think using water is ok
i guess it really depends on the person

#39 nancyhoe

nancyhoe

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:31 AM

I never wash my face with any facial products. I think washing with water is good enough to keep your face moisture. Facial products can be too strong and washes all your natural oils from your face. So keep to basic washing.

#40 ah--yan

ah--yan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

i use water only too, unless i have make up on then i'll use a cleanser.
you do use a moisturizer after you wash your face right? cuz if you don't, your face will be oily really quickly.
i think its okay to use facial products as long as they are mild and if you have oily skin, don't use anything that's oil base. ie. choose foam, lotion instead of cream.