AF needs funding again

- - - - -

A New cellphone has to charge battery for 4-8 hours?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I just got my new phone on yesterday and I charged the battery for 2 hours because it is written in the guide book that you need to charge 2 hours only to get your battery fully charged.

BUT

At night, my brother told me that you need to charge at least 4 hours if you don't want to charge 8 hours because your battery will last longer if you do this. When I knew this, I quickly charged my battery but he said everything is too late because it only will be affective for your first time charging.

Awww!! everything is too late! Does anyone know what is the differences a cellphone charged for 8 hours and a cellphone only charged for 2 hours?

#2 bluepanic

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

The battery should be ok if you run it flat before the next charge

#3 SQLServer

0-Day SQL Inject --> Drop Database

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

That is a common myth of batteries. The thing that your brother described only applies to older batteries like Ni-Cd and SLA batteries that exhibit memory on the first charge. Cell Phones and laptops all use Lithium Ion that doesn't exhibit this memory feature so it doesn't matter how long you charged it the first time. What you shouldn't do with Lithium Ion is run it down to nothing and leave it for long periods of time. This effects the lifespan of the battery.

#4 Kevmyster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

New cell phone uses new technology, so you shouldn't have to worry about the old myths of charging 4, 8, 24 hours for a new cell phone anymore. The new battery actually lose some of it's power when he's overcharged. Just charge the phone until it's full and you'll be good.

#5 tvbx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

your battery will be fine, although i tend to give it a good charge cycle when i first get it

#6 SiNergy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

The thing with new batteries are that you have to charge it fully and then fully discharge them 3-5 times before you can charge them normally, this has nothing to do with how well it holds a charge but more so the phone can memorise the capacity of the battery and at which point it is fully charged/discharged. After this period of about a week, you should never fully discharge your phone till its empty cause that could damage the battery, allways keep it well above 20% before the next charge to keep the battery at optimum performance. Some do suggest you should fully discharged and then charged you're battery again to full after several months, but then again I suggest you only do that when you think your battery indicator isn't giving you the right reading, this just purely to reset the battery indicator it won't make your battery last any longer.

#7 LessThanThreeYou

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

well normally phone batteries newly brought should be charged for at least 8 hours.. but from my learning if you charge a phone battery up.. you should completely rinse the battery out before recharging.. doing this will increase the lifetime of the battery.. whereas if you charge it fully then use 50% of it.. then recharge it till full.. then the battery will die faster..

#8 pluto38

**** GOOD JOB ****

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I guess the latest LiOn or LiPolymer technology have no memory effect or any sort.
So you can charge it up for 2 to 4 hours on initial charger & then charger it up at any capacity for 1-2 years without any problems.

I charge my Nokia N82 everyday even though it only use 50% of the battery.
Also my 3 years old Nokia 6630 also get charge even the battery is just use 20% & the battery lasted 2 years. Nokia LiOn Battery is so cheap now.

#9 azn_crew

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

when your battery is low then charge to max, no need to recharge just for the sake of it.

#10 ev0

*vroom vroom*

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

i heard that its better to recharge the battery only when its completely flat, charging it when its half full will lower the life of the battery

#11 Hohenheim

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

OIC...thanks for the advices...

BTW, do I need to switch off the phone while charging the battery?

If I don't then i just keep charging while the phone is on for months then would it damage the phone because i never gave my phone a "rest" and keep using it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users