23 replies to this topic

#1 scata

scata

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

I was sitting behind an asian and white girl and I noticed something very different about their head shapes. The asian girl has a rround head and its sort of flat in the back but the white girl has a thin head and it stick s out past her neck in the back, I cant explain it but was wondering why is this?

#2 ImYan

ImYan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

I am not sure if there really is an explanation for this cos everyone's different. I don't think having a flat head or not has anything to do with being an asian. My head isn't flat but my sister's one is. My mum said it's because she sleeps alot when she was a baby. Maybe that's probably why. Not an expert at this so I might be wrong.

#3 Viggojude

Viggojude

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:55 AM

it depend how you slept when you an baby, you heard how baby sleep on their front with they bottom sticking up in the air = round head.
When a baby sleep on its back = flat head.

Hope this is helpful.

txt out. he he

#4 bapor

bapor

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

like above has said.. its the way u slept wen u were a babi.. lol cos.. babys head is soft.. so it kinda.. mould into te shape if u sleep on one side too much

#5 achhooo

achhooo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:01 AM

yep.. it is about how u slept when u were a baby
because babies are still growing, as in bones hardening and all that so they are stronger, so the head, like above.. moulds into that shape..

#6 dorak

dorak

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

I learnt this in Parenting Class. and it's all about the way you were sleeping and laid down while you were young. if you slept sideways you'd have a flat face or a flat back head if you slept up.

Edited by dorak, 21 February 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#7 iJUSTwonder

iJUSTwonder

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

lol, determined by your sleeping position during infancy. That's all there is to it.

#8 Subtle Red

Subtle Red

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

There are distinctions between a Caucasoid & Mongoloid skull. I've noticed different head shapes on Asians & not all of them are flat in the back.

#9 eternitytofu

eternitytofu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

my nephew and niece, when they were a baby, their parents put their heads in all sort of positions so they don't turn flat one side and oval the other!

#10 FunKyLALA

FunKyLALA

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

I doubt it has to do with asian and white. Its the sleeping positions your parents put you in when you were a baby which shaped you like that

#11 Choco ~ Latte

Choco ~ Latte

AF Noob Translator

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26099 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

the shape of your head is usually genetics so race doesnt really matter much.
i have this bump that sticks out too while alot of my white friends dont.... im asian btw.
so that doesnt matter.

it could also be the way the babies sleep. as u know babies have very soft fragile skulls especially new born so whichever way they lean on their heads could cause pressure on a particular part forming the bulge you saw.

#12 whoami1234

whoami1234

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

Like others have mentioned it's all about the sleeping patterns when they were a baby. As a baby you skull is not fully developed and is still soft. So depending on sleeping position they head can be molded a certain way.

#13 love.mimi

love.mimi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

wow i didn't know it was because of how you slept as a baby
damn it! why didn't my mum make me sleep the other way
i hate my flat head!!!

#14 cpxpimpintrainin

cpxpimpintrainin

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

i think you are right not all but majority of asians have not very round shape heads. its just in the genes.

#15 Tumby_tum

Tumby_tum

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

It really depends on how you sleep when you are a baby. Asians have flat heads because Asians believes that you DO NOT let your baby to sleep on their stomach or the sides...they always have their babies sleep on their back.. that's why Asians have flat heads!!! Western (Caucasians) always have their babies sleep on their tummies.. that why they have nice head!!!

When my son was a baby... I have him sleep on his side and keep switching sides too.. now his head is nice & round.. no flat spots!!! So it really depends on your sleeping position!!!

#16 LisaRole

LisaRole

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

YEs, I agree. It is by how you sleep when you are a baby. Cause sometimes some babies sleep in the hard surface most of the time facing the ceilling so its making the head flat at the back but for some babies they sleep in soft areas where their head stays round at the back.

#17 Woocha

Woocha

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Might be just how they are when they are born. Bone structured abit differently.

#18 hello melody/kitty

hello melody/kitty

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

I was sitting behind an asian and white girl and I noticed something very different about their head shapes. The asian girl has a rround head and its sort of flat in the back but the white girl has a thin head and it stick s out past her neck in the back, I cant explain it but was wondering why is this?

I don't think this applies to all asians but anyone, from what I know after having my two kids, my parents would made my babies sleep on their side so that their head doesn't go flat, my daughter's head is slightly flat but my son is rounded, now that you know where the flat head theory comes from, all starts when we were a baby.

#19 BikerMiker

BikerMiker

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:30 AM

The physiological reason is correct as stated by many. An infant's skull is malleable and sleeping on their backs constantly will result in a flat spot. However I have not read in this forum why so many Asians were kept on their back side as sleeping infants. The medical term for it is positional plagiocephaly.

I'm an Asian and, yes, I have a flat spot on the back of my head. I talked to my mother about this many years ago and she gave the answer as many other here have already stated. She also further explained that in Asia, back then, it was from fear of an infant possibly suffocating in their sleep that infants were kept on their backside. Doctors back then, in Asia, recommended this.

Asian doctors do not recommend this any longer and as a result you will notice that younger Asians, whether from geographic Asia or here in the USA, have more rounded skull formations. All of my Asian friends with children have the more aesthetically pleasing round shaped heads.

Roundness or flat spots on one's head is not a racial trait.

Comically, if an infant's head is kept between a wedge he/she could become a true to goodness conehead. Remember, the skull is pliable during a human's infancy.

On another note, have you head of "Asian Fit" for sunglasses now? Cool! Finally making sunglasses to cater to Asian traits! Oakley is doing this and I find it fascinating although I don't care for sport sunglasses.
  • Coralie likes this

#20 poesje

poesje

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:07 AM

i don't think it has anything to do with being asian? i don't have a flat head... but my mum told me, it's because the head of a baby is still soft, so if you let it lay down/sleep on his/her back of her head all the time the baby will get a flat head... so to get a nice head, you should turn the head of the baby once in a few hours (?) so it gets a much nicer shape :)

#21 ♔AyyCakes

♔AyyCakes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:48 AM

it's nothing to do with race.. like a lot of people said, it depends on how you slept when you were younger. cus i know a lotta azns who have their heads past their necks too , lols.

#22 Miss_Mia

Miss_Mia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

yeah your right, i'm white and my head is thin! xD

#23 lovepolkadots43

lovepolkadots43

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

Asian peoples are more like to have a brachycephalic head which means it's smaller and doesn't have much of a "bump" on back. Caucasians typically have a doliocephalic head, which is not as long as an African-type person's head (mesocephalic), but longer than the typical Asian's head.

It's just the way certain people were made. Environment also has something to do with head shape.

#24 gxu2k3

gxu2k3

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

Artificial cranial flattening is a tradition of Asiatic nomads, it was practiced by Huns, then Mongol and Manchus.

http://issworldhisto...ulls-elongation

Edited by gxu2k3, 06 January 2014 - 05:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users