AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Muscle for Asian Men

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 Hendle

Hendle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

I never really focused on my body until recently. I've been going to the gym 3 times a week doing mostly weights and I have been cutting down on my body fat and trying to build muscle. Sometimes I feel so far behind in regards to muscle size and tone.

I understand that genetically, I only have a set amount of muscle cells to train. I believe that generally, African Americans or Caucasians have the ability to build bigger muscles than us Asians. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but us Asians tend to be smaller.

Anyway, I've been working out regularly for the past 3 months and irregularly for 11 months. I've definitely noticed an improvement. However, my arms aren't that big. My forearms look pretty small too. My wrists? Forgettabout it. I'm a Vietnamese male, 6'1, 176 pounds, 18-21% body fat.

Anyone else feel that you are at a disadvantage?

#2 GoP-Demon

GoP-Demon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

I don't really feel like im at a disadvatage :S 3 times a week sounds good. How about eating protein or something >.>? I don't like vitamin drinks or w/e you call em.

#3 Successful

Successful

Eat to Live or Live to Eat? o.O

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

6'1 176lbs ain't bad at all man. Cut some more fat if you want to see more definition/tone
Heavier weights, less reps = Bigger muscle
Lighter weights, more reps = definition

But if course in addition to all that you gotta do cardio, just hitting the gym and pumping weights isn't enough for significant results.

And no, you shouldn't feel inferior or whatever, why should you? Standing at 6'1, and a decent weight, you should feel pretty good.

Or maybe I'm overconfident... hmmm haha
but on a general note, one should always feel good about ones self.

#4 Nominated

Nominated

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:19 AM

I'm not too sure, but doesn't your diet play a huge role also, when trying to get rid of fat?

Imo, doesn't matter if you feel like you're at a disadvantage. Just keep doing it. Consistency is key. There may definitely be some genetically reasons behind why other ethnicities have larger muscles, but we still ought to push ourselves.

#5 OhDamn

OhDamn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

I don't feel disadvantaged. But since I'm in high school, I don't have much competition in terms of muscle size. I work out 3 times a week (4 during winter though it doesn't seem to make a difference), ab exercises, squats and upper body exercises (biceps, pecs etc). That's enough to get me a pretty nice physique and exponentially increase the fun I have in PE. I don't do cardio but that's because I've got a fast metabolism and burn food like hell (I also monitor my junk food :P) but you should if you wanna see some abs. If you want bigger forearms, you should do reverse wrist curls. Making your actual wrists bigger isn't possible since there size depends on your bone structure. After you exercise, you should eat something with lots of protein (tuna's always good). It's best to exercise an hour or so after eating. Maybe you could tell us your routine?

Also realize that the people you are comparing yourself with work out too and have different routines. Just compare yourself to the average joe and you'll realize your a god amongst men (most whom possess man boobs).

Edited by OhDamn, 09 November 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#6 rgadex

rgadex

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

It also takes a bit of time to figure out what type of workout works well for you as well.

#7 sgman

sgman

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

Even though you don't see yourself getting much bigger or heavier, you're definitely increasing in strength and endurance at the very least. So no, its not a disadvantage at all. Its just a matter of time.

In fact, its easier for skinny southern Asians to get to the ripped, Fight Club-esque look, as opposed to Caucasians who have to burn off the fat they're naturally endowed with. I say southern Asians, because the truth is, people in Northern China and Korea actually are naturally fairly tall and well-built, contrary to stereotypes.

#8 Hendle

Hendle

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:55 AM

I follow a routine from an iPhone app called iFitness. I usually do the arm or chest workout. They definitely lack in the leg category (I do squats and some cardio to make up for it). My legs are fine though, my upper body is what really needs work. I use my apartment gym and not the school gym so I only have dumbbells and a lat pulldown bar that can double for triceps work. I do barbell bench presses, dumbbell flyes, rows, squats, bicep curls, pushups, lat pulldowns, shoulder press, cable steaded low row, lunges, concentration curls, hammer curls. I don't do all of these during the same day tho, usually 5-6 things only.

Working out is still relatively new for me though. I never worked out in high school and undergraduate work. I have a lot of catching up to do. I think as I lost weight since high school, my forearms and arms shrunk so they look pretty small compared to a white guy that works out.

#9 kitman

kitman

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

wow I think if u want some muchel quick u have to go by the more then 4 times a week,
and eat the right food, like me I do 200 push every day and 200 abs too, and then i go to gym 4 .5 times, and I eat 6 to 7 times a day

#10 Dylan55

Dylan55

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

It making your body big that filled with muscle, you mus work out in right way and take some energy building vitamins the body you want.

#11 rosangels

rosangels

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

my brother worked hard, and now he got it...in about 3 years :wtf

#12 KiMcHi SaRaM

KiMcHi SaRaM

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

21% body fat is really high. First and foremost, do some research. I recommend bodybuilding.com.

If you are just starting out, focus on a 3-day full body workout routine; focus on the three main lifts, which are the deadlifts, bench press, and squats. Then, add in some secondary exercises (like two, for example) such as barbell curls and tricep extensions. The reasoning behind this is for your muscles to attain the initial shock from lifting.

Sample routine:

M:
Squats
Bench Press
Barbell Tri Extensions
Hyperextensions

W:
Deadlifts
Barbell Rows
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curls
Pullups

F:
Squats
Bench Press
Shrugs
Leg work
Ab work

In addition to lifting, it is imperative that you eat, eat and eat some more. Muscle is built on calories -- to gain a pound, you need to eat 3500cals. Take your vitamins, eat a lot, and sleep a lot. In about 6 months, you'll see changes.

#13 jxd

jxd

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time (actually you can, but you need perfect nutrition, training and maybe pharmaceutical help), so focus on one. Since you are at 21% bodyfat, I'd cut down to around 10% first, then build it up right.

And no, I don't feel like Asians have a major disadvantage in natural bodybuilding. Asians generally have smaller waist so your shoulders appear wider and your v-taper is more pronounced. The only problem might be fat distribution.

#14 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

Its just harder for asian men to build up muscle, just require a lot more body building then other races.

#15 edwun

edwun

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

Its just harder for asian men to build up muscle, just require a lot more body building then other races.

really?

i think asians male look better in medium builds

#16 izzue

izzue

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:54 AM

There is actually more than how you train... its what you EAT... 70% of the training goes to your diet... working out yes but eating right is even more important i find...

#17 starrgazing

starrgazing

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

i prefer a bit muscular, not too much... i don't like to thin/slim body for a man. on my opinion, mascular man i feel secure :)

#18 RiceNuts

RiceNuts

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Oh heyy another viet around my heigh haha. Im 6'2 220lb

I work out 4 days a week. Monday Tuesday, Thursday, friday i rest wendsday and the weekends.
Mondays and tuesday i usually do chest and biceps and thursday and friday i work i work Back,biceps and legs. i sometimes throw in ab workouts and cardio..not too much cardio because im not looking to burn fat. Don't forget to eat at least 6 meals a day. Also take supplements like muscle milk or whey(no they are not steroids and are safe) but Im only suggesting that. remember Resting=when muscle starts building

Here is one of my pics..its not that great but you get the idea.
Posted Image

heres another one thats two years ago(i know its on the same ride but its the only pic i have of myself couple years ago
Posted Image

well if you got any questions just contact me. =]

#19 majortom

majortom

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:04 AM

to build stronger wrists try break dancing
learn the baby freeze etc
don't break your wrists tho..

#20 slapchop

slapchop

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:52 AM

ive been workin out for about 4months now and gotten stronger and more muscular but sad thing is i have barely gained weight

of course i dont take protein powder/weight gainer like some ppl do but i do eat alot.. guess metabolism/hk genes means im always skinny

#21 Hyper_jess90

Hyper_jess90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

My boyfriend has the same problem so what I'd suggest is that you eat little BUT OFTEN & you can turn fat into muscle. & Yes, eat more protein to build up. DON't cut out fat because you need it. =]

xx

#22 aznhon

aznhon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:56 AM

Are you eating more protein regularly and drinking whey protein smoothies after you lift to help with muscle recovery? That would help to build mass/size. Also if you lay off the cardio you can build up quicker.

#23 WHW

WHW

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:10 AM

Eating is also very important. Feed your muscles, they need energy to work and grow. You also need to eat regularly.

And I personally am too fat. But that's because I'm lazy and eat to much junk food =P So it's just my own fault

#24 Jotaro

Jotaro

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

In addition to working out take those protein supplements. My brother was the same build as me - in 2 years he has transformed while i still remain like a twig. My biggest problem was the supplements as i have an intolerance to them and more importantly i can do the workout easily but drinking the supplement is like torture so i just end up toned rather than gaining much.

#25 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:49 AM

I agree we shouldn't feel at a disadvantage. We have our own genetics but that's not the point. Just keep up what works

[quote name='rgadex' date='09 November 2009 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1257769685' post='6426304']
It also takes a bit of time to figure out what type of workout works well for you as well.
[/quote]

Depending what type of body you have ... people are suited better for certain physical activities. Alot of Asians with athletic ability tend to be quite fast, flexible and agile ... like in figure skating, gymnastics, etc. They just seem to have the natural dynamics for it.

[quote name='sgman' date='09 November 2009 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1257801760' post='6426798']

I say southern Asians, because the truth is, people in Northern China and Korea actually are naturally fairly tall and well-built, contrary to stereotypes.

[/quote]

We're East Asians. Not South Asians

The reason for what you said is because they do martial arts

[quote name='kitman' date='11 November 2009 - 07:50 AM' timestamp='1257943833' post='6430197']
wow I think if u want some muchel quick u have to go by the more then 4 times a week,
and eat the right food, like me I do 200 push every day and 200 abs too, and then i go to gym 4 .5 times, and I eat 6 to 7 times a day
[/quote]

You're a bodybuilder. Average person doesn't work out more than maybe 3 days a week and eats 3 meals per day

Just wondering ... height, weight?

[quote name='rosangels' date='17 November 2009 - 03:57 PM' timestamp='1258491454' post='6440347']
my brother worked hard, and now he got it...in about 3 years :wtf
[/quote]

What did he eat? What was his workout? What other physical activities does he do?

[quote name='KiMcHi SaRaM' date='17 November 2009 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1258492723' post='6440371']

Take your vitamins, eat a lot, and sleep a lot. In about 6 months, you'll see changes.
[/quote]

I don't think it takes 6 months to start seeing change, maybe like 2 weeks or so. If they're doing the healthy eating, excellent work out routines, etc. Not saying big, major change in a few weeks but just to start noticing somewhat body improvement.

6 months later ... they should of gained some weight and look much better

[quote name='RiceNuts' date='18 December 2009 - 04:31 AM' timestamp='1261128691' post='6484275']
Oh heyy another viet around my heigh haha. Im 6'2 220lb

You're around a size I want

[quote name='RiceNuts' date='18 December 2009 - 04:31 AM' timestamp='1261128691' post='6484275']

well if you got any questions just contact me. =]

[/quote]

What was your height and weight when you started?

Just wondering ... what do you all think is a realistic amount of pounds to put on in a year?

Edited by 6shot, 06 March 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#26 Thomas90

Thomas90

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

1) You need a good training at gym
2) You need a good diet (a lot of chicken's breasts!)

After few weeks buy supplements for athletes - 50% carbo 50% protein. Don't forget about vitamines and 8 hours of sleep.

#27 BukAlan

BukAlan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

you won't see a big difference in 3 months. if that was the case, lots of ppl would be bulky now. just keep working on it.
i joined the military 6 months ago and i was pushing the limit to get in. 5'8 190 lbs.

i'm starting to notice myself looking better but i'm no where near where i want to be.
important thing to keep in mind is to eat right, and burn off fat while building muscle.
i'm in the same boat as you with 20something % body fat. just keep working at it.

#28 GQKeVyn

GQKeVyn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:35 AM

One of the biggest thing about getting cut and lean is your diet. And when I say diet I don't mean as in going on a diet like atkins or anything like that. I mean like what you eat daily. It's hard to really focus on taking out the bad type of foods like fast food and sodas, but taking that stuff out would help greatly.

#29 LoOnEs

LoOnEs

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:27 AM

I used to workout everyday last now stop already..all become fat..hehehe

#30 Guest_trew_*

Guest_trew_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

I think guy you should exercise at regular manner along with you should consider also diet . This method can drastic changes.
--------------
Dunwoody GA Chiropractor

#31 Nitikie

Nitikie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3368 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

there's a key to maintaining your muscles and I've heard this from a female ex body builder, it's eating protein 3 times a day. Protein helps maintain your musles and helps build them. If you're wondering why you're so lean and not getting anywhere, you may want to rethink what you're eating.

#32 Olive Juice

Olive Juice

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

What types of work out do you do? For the bulky looks, use heavy weight with less reps per set, and for that well-defined sculpted muscles looks, use lighter weight with more reps.

I'm also Vietnamese and, although I'm not as tall as you are- I'm 5'10 and 158 lbs, I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage. On the contrary, I put on muscles quite more quickly with less work outs than most of my friends. I think metabolism has something to do with it. I have 2 friends who are similar to your size and they couldn't develop muscles as fast as I could mainly because they have very high metabolism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying high metabolism is bad- it's actually good to have, but some do have very high metabolism that no matter how much they eat, they just couldn't put on the extra meat to turn into muscles. You should find out your metabolism rate so you can work around it.

I wouldn't be too concern with burning body fat just yet because you do need them to convert to muscles. When muscles are developed and are active, they will burn off extra fat anyways. Nutrition, vitamins and supplements are important for body builders as well.

When I was into body building, I ate chicken as often as I can because they're high in protein. Fish is also high in protein, but I just couldn't eat them every single day... no, no, no! lol. I'm not into pills(and I have good reasons for that as well) so I got vitamins from fruits and veggies. I also use a supplement, but it is not protein shake like many do use. I use glutamine powder, one of the 20 amino acids. Glutamine is beneficial because it utilizes and maximizes anabolic/anti-catabolic effects and it also optimizes muscles growth and recovery. Yes, you do need time for muscles recovery and the faster the recovery, the sooner you can work out again without putting your body in stress.

For arms and wrists, I would recommend masturbat... doing a lot of arms and wrists curls- obviously, duhh!! :D

#33 Alien

Alien

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

I dont feel disadvantage.
But currently i am on quest to obtain 6 pack abs.
Have been doing a lot of excercise, but the most difficult pack is to obtain six pack.
~sigh~
wonder when i can actually obtain one...

#34 jikijiki

jikijiki

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

I cant seem to get pecs, for above post, i got my six pack in literally a week.

I found this great 10 minute ab exercise video on the net somewhere and I did it for a week (you're not supposed to) nonstop and for the next 2 weeks i had pains in my stomach. After that though, I never have to do ab exercises again.

#35 wutang

wutang

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Just wondering ... what do you all think is a realistic amount of pounds to put on in a year?

How much pounds you put on depends on your genes. Most people put on 15-20 lbs of muscle in a year.

I'm 6'0" and weighed 163, people always said I looked slim. I put on around 12 pounds of muscle in 6 months, some girl still called me skinny >_<. Now I'm just focusing on bulking so I weigh 190.

So muscle wise your limited to how much you can put on, but if your just talking about pounds in general hell I can put on 30 pounds in a month.

#36 HammBonz

HammBonz

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

How much pounds you put on depends on your genes. Most people put on 15-20 lbs of muscle in a year.

I'm 6'0" and weighed 163, people always said I looked slim. I put on around 12 pounds of muscle in 6 months, some girl still called me skinny >_<. Now I'm just focusing on bulking so I weigh 190.

So muscle wise your limited to how much you can put on, but if your just talking about pounds in general hell I can put on 30 pounds in a month.

hey, as long as you're gaining muscle it's okay. i heard that if you gain more than 10 lbs of fat after you graduate high school (or age 18) that it's a bad sign of your health habits and things to come!!! better keep off the couch, i guess!

#37 accidental.tourist

accidental.tourist

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

I cant seem to get pecs, for above post, i got my six pack in literally a week.

I found this great 10 minute ab exercise video on the net somewhere and I did it for a week (you're not supposed to) nonstop and for the next 2 weeks i had pains in my stomach. After that though, I never have to do ab exercises again.

What vid are you referring to? And did you must have started off built already. I need to gain mass first before I can even start working off the belly fat =s

#38 rememberlogin

rememberlogin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

I never really focused on my body until recently. I've been going to the gym 3 times a week doing mostly weights and I have been cutting down on my body fat and trying to build muscle. Sometimes I feel so far behind in regards to muscle size and tone.

I understand that genetically, I only have a set amount of muscle cells to train. I believe that generally, African Americans or Caucasians have the ability to build bigger muscles than us Asians. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but us Asians tend to be smaller.

Anyway, I've been working out regularly for the past 3 months and irregularly for 11 months. I've definitely noticed an improvement. However, my arms aren't that big. My forearms look pretty small too. My wrists? Forgettabout it. I'm a Vietnamese male, 6'1, 176 pounds, 18-21% body fat.

Anyone else feel that you are at a disadvantage?

It could be genetics, but I think lifestyle plays a heavier role. Western and Asian diets are vastly different, and I don't think iAsians put a heavy emphasis on how built a guy should be. I see so many overseas Asians with lanky, undeveloped muscles, compared to a first generation Asian in a western country who always seem "bigger".

#39 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

What do you mean "first generation" Asian?  

If you're talking about guys like Bruce Lee ... well, he was one of a kind, back in his era. I've seen alot of guys try to imitate him, but none better than the original

Let's be honest, back then there was barely anyone else who was even as close as Lee. You can't base what you say off one guy

As if you're going to see any incredibly large and built Asian men in their "golden years" now ... even BL would be quite old by now. He would be MORE THAN 30 YEARS OLDER, than what he was back then.

Now, maybe some in  their 20s or 30s ...  but not too old

Edited by Goldencarp, 20 April 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#40 rememberlogin

rememberlogin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

What do you mean "first generation" Asian?  

If you're talking about guys like Bruce Lee ... well, he was one of a kind, back in his era. I've seen alot of guys try to imitate him, but none better than the original

Let's be honest, back then there was barely anyone else who was even as close as Lee. You can't base what you say off one guy

As if you're going to see any incredibly large and built Asian men in their "golden years" now ... even BL would be quite old by now. He would be MORE THAN 30 YEARS OLDER, than what he was back then.

Now, maybe some in  their 20s or 30s ...  but not too old

I mean any person with immigrant parents. Not necessarily Bruce Lee. I have a huge number of distant cousins in China who eat more carbohydrates than protein/diary rich diets, and it shows when you compare their muscle tone with my American born brother or male cousins (who don't go out of the way to work out either). I said it could be genetics, but genetics was shaped by generations of adapting to a certain lifestyle and diet. As Asian countries modernize, so will their lifestyles, and trends in body shape will reflect that.

Also, Bruce Lee was super cut. His body was built with hours of training and body endurance exercises combined with a proper diet. The comparison I formerly mentioned doesn't apply to the level of Bruce Lee. Not many people CAN achieve that level. I'm just saying moderately built, not athlete or professional extreme.