AF needs funding again

Photo

Joey Yung is richest singer in Hong Kong

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 mv_288

mv_288

Super Poster

• Forum Masters
  • 15337 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

Posted Image

Joey Yung is richest singer in Hong Kong

Credits: Yahoo News

It's been 10 years of smooth sailing for Joey Yung's singing career.

Last year the Hong Kong pop singer celebrated her 10th year in the industry. What that also means is that her 10-year-long fixed term contract with Emperor Entertainment Group Limited (EEG) came to an end.

Although Joey still has an additional five-year album contract with EEG, the company seeks to keep their 'golden goose' and has been trying to convince the star to sign a longer contract.

After a year of consideration, Joey extended her contract for another five years recently, effectively extending her tenure with EEG for yet another 10 years.

With the contract inked, Joey's estimated worth is now pinned at around HKD 500m (S$100m), making her the richest among singers in Hong Kong.

#2 onetwothreefour

onetwothreefour

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Not surprising, I mean she's like everywhere these days. You can basically say that she's dominating right now in the (dying) HK music industry.

Anyway, she's still youngish right now...think of all the money she'll bag in the future =x.

#3 Yuunhaa

Yuunhaa

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

i doubt she's richer than Kelly

#4 seedan

seedan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

^smooth sailing? I doubt. Her career was not smooth sailing! LOL! ... and not to mention the best in the HK music industry :D And I guess she is richer than Kelly then? Or is Kelly even considered a singer now? Does she still like come out and stuff?

#5 taekoame

taekoame

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

who is she? she's popular? this is the first time I ever heard her name on Asianfanatics or anywhere on any Asian media sites. xP

#6 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

Or is Kelly even considered a singer now? Does she still like come out and stuff?

She had a new mando album out in March 2010

who is she? she's popular?

She can been seen as the most successful female HK singer from this decade and the best female singer from EEG. Joey Yung has won many awards throughout her singing career. She has been a regular winner at Hong Kong's four major music awards since her debut.

#7 shuet_ying

shuet_ying

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

Even so Joey Yung is still talentless!! Still can't sing, can't act, can't dance! I don't see the appeal in her!

#8 wChaU1

wChaU1

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Joey Yuung needs a break and find a lover for god shakes.

#9 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well, Joey surely doesn't have much competition -- in fact, she really hasn't had much competition this past decade, so it's not surprising that she has been able to succeed in the (dismal) HK music industry. I actually don't consider Kelly Chen one of her competitors because Kelly is pretty much from the previous decade (90s).

With that said, I personally am not a Joey fan (then again, I'm pretty much not a fan of anyone from EEG) and I can't comment on her singing, since I don't listen to her music at all...but I'm sure there must be something that she is doing right if she has been able to be successful for so many years....wait, but then again, she is from EEG, so it's hard to say....

#10 thylakoid

thylakoid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

She can been seen as the most successful female HK singer from this decade and the best female singer from EEG. Joey Yung has won many awards throughout her singing career. She has been a regular winner at Hong Kong's four major music awards since her debut.

lol I'm pretty sure taekoame is being sarcastic and trying to make it look like no one knows who Joey Yung is

#11 sammiyen

sammiyen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

Even so Joey Yung is still talentless!! Still can't sing, can't act, can't dance! I don't see the appeal in her!

So so true!! She cannot act period!!! She's been in the industry for so so long but her acting still sucks.. Her voice is okay not that great

#12 cherrynyan

cherrynyan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

I agree~ her singing is okay though...but her acting is just horrible imo D:

#13 misssy

misssy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

The title is misleading. She may have made the most as a singer only, but she is not the richest singer in Hong Kong. Definetly two different things. I doubt her net worth is anywhere even near Andy lau or Aaron Kwok who gets more then 500M HKD per movie alone.

I think she was an okay singer, better then what most of the other people are offering in Hong Kong. She just needs to stop producing the same thing over and over again. Haven't liked any of her songs for the pass 5 years.

#14 thylakoid

thylakoid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

With that said, I personally am not a Joey fan (then again, I'm pretty much not a fan of anyone from EEG) and I can't comment on her singing, since I don't listen to her music at all...but I'm sure there must be something that she is doing right if she has been able to be successful for so many years....wait, but then again, she is from EEG, so it's hard to say....

After reading this comment, I feel sorry for Joey now more than ever. People doubt others' abilities and don't give them a chance just because they are from a certain company??? What kind of logic is that?! Yumiko Cheng and William Chan get so much promotion but yet you don't see them getting popular, so obviously talent IS a factor. You can argue that Twins were hugely popular despite lacking real singing abilities, but who else from EEG was able to achieve that? Don't forget that Leo Ku, George Lam, and Sun Nan ("big brother" of mainland China) are also in the same company. Eason Chan was once in EEG as well.

I'm not specifically directing this comment at you, because there must be many others that hold the same view.

The title is misleading. She may have made the most as a singer only, but she is not the richest singer in Hong Kong. Definetly two different things. I doubt her net worth is anywhere even near Andy lau or Aaron Kwok who gets more then 500M HKD per movie alone.

You're right, the article is probably talking about active singers only?

She just needs to stop producing the same thing over and over again. Haven't liked any of her songs for the pass 5 years.

This surprises me because I thought her older songs were more "similar" (1999-2004) than her more recent songs (2005-2010). =S

Edited by thylakoid, 14 July 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#15 Coralie

Coralie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2220 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Wow, this article and some posters in here needs to get some facts straight.

A) Joey did NOT have a smooth sailing 10 years. She was plagued by gossip, rumors, and discord ever since her initial debut. It's only recently that these rumors simmered down a bit.

B.) Is it her fault that her role as 'Queen of Pop' has been non-contested these last 10 years? Is it her fault that her singing abilities is better than 98% of the industry these days? It's not. She's just been her, so it's useless to hate her because she's held the role.

C) Whether or not she's a good singer is a subjective issue. My opinions on her has always been positive. She CAN sing. I don't know who you guys are comparing her to in order to call her a bad singer, but I dare you to find a singer in HK at the moment who can sing better than her. If not, then you have no right to complain. Plus, those who are calling her talentless...does anyone know what her role is? She's a singer, not an entertainer. It's her only duty to sing well...all other qualities are just extraneous attributes. If you don't like her acting, don't watch her then.

D) I don't know why she keeps on sticking with EEG. They work her pretty much to the bone. Despite her making the most money as the company's cash cow, she can be treated better and have more artistic license (I think) if she just switched companies. This is her choice, however, so whatever I wish doesn't matter.

E) Her songs for these last few years has gone down the drain in terms of quality. That, unfortunately, is true. Despite this, there are always one or two songs on her album that exceeds standard. So while I'm not happy about this, I'm somewhat appeased.

Edited by Ivana B. Anonymous, 14 July 2010 - 11:53 PM.

#16 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:55 PM

After reading this comment, I feel sorry for Joey now more than ever. People doubt others' abilities and don't give them a chance just because they are from a certain company??? What kind of logic is that?! Yumiko Cheng and William Chan get so much promotion but yet you don't see them getting popular, so obviously talent IS a factor. You can argue that Twins were hugely popular despite lacking real singing abilities, but who else from EEG was able to achieve that? Don't forget that Leo Ku, George Lam, and Sun Nan ("big brother" of mainland China) are also in the same company. Eason Chan was once in EEG as well.

I'm not specifically directing this comment at you, because there must be many others that hold the same view.

No offense taken....but unfortunately, yes, sometimes the company can affect the perception of that person, just like a crazy fan can affect what other people think of a particular artist....it may sound unreasonable and unfair, but it's a reality, since everyone has their own preferences and value system that they support.

In the case of EEG, I'm not saying that anyone who works for that company is a bad person (and they certainly aren't, since there are alot of good artists that came from that company), all I'm saying is that I personally will not support that company because of its questionable practices -- and since I have neutral feelings toward Joey and don't like EEG, then of course the preference is going to lean toward the stronger emotion (the dislike of EEG). So it's just unfortunate for Joey....

Now if there was someone I liked prior to them joining EEG, that's a different story -- like Leo Ku for example...I'm not a fan either, but I think his singing isn't bad and I've had exposure to alot of his previous works (whether it's hosting, acting, or singing), so he's still a "like" in my book (though I won't be buying his album anymore)....

#17 GallantNite

GallantNite

MiniAznRay

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

it's not that she is richer than Kelly, her contract is richer than Kelly's. I think the article is applying she has the highest pay out of all the singers in the business. 5 years for 500 mill, all those newcomers have less than half of that money and have like 10 years contract.

#18 blablablah

blablablah

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

...but I'm sure there must be something that she is doing right if she has been able to be successful for so many years....wait, but then again, she is from EEG, so it's hard to say....

The former i agree with, the latter not so much. Trust me, no matter how powerful a company is, if she's not talented there is no way she would be able to dominate the industry for a whole decade. And remember, unlike most EEG artists Joey is NOT known for her looks. Quite the opposite actually. Yet she was insanely successful as a newcomer. Why? Her singing. Ask anyone old enough to remember and they'd tell you that Joey's main selling point as a newcomer was her singing. And no it's not only because Roman was her teacher. Ekin was Roman's student as well, but i don't think many ppl consider him to be an outstanding vocalist. I think Jan Lamb summarizes the best when he presented her the CRHK Bronze award in 2001 (this was when the negative rumours about Joey and Albert Yeung was at its worst). He said "from the day she debuted, i knew she was a "sut lik paai" singer. You can't fake being a good singer". His wife is Cass for goodness sake, i think he knows a good vocalist when he hears one. Plus Jan isn't the first person to praise Joey for her singing. Others include George Lam, Sally Yeh, Paula Tsui, Chris Wong, Eason, Elisa Chan, etc etc etc.

It's true Joey has had less competition, but to say she has had none throughout her career is hardly true. When Joey first entered the industry, there were still many talented singers that were still active. Yet the sales of her earlier albums were comparable to those of Sammi, Kelly, and Faye. Plus, Sammi and Kelly were actively plugging up until around 2003 and 2004.

Spoiler

And those bashing her for her acting, Joey herself has said numerous times that her acting is bad. Never has she gained any recognition for her acting. So i don't know what u guys are complaining about.

i doubt she's richer than Kelly

Probably not considering the fact that Kelly comes from a rich family. But if you're talking about incomes earned individually, then Joey now is probably comparable to Kelly back in her prime. Joey probably has more endorsements than any other female celebrity in HK. Her concert tickets sell like hotcakes and and her album sales have been consistently high (at least compared to the rest of the industry). Plus Joey has made great real estate investment choices so i'm not surprised by how much Joey has.

Edited by blablablah, 15 July 2010 - 02:40 AM.

#19 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Spoiler

LOL...thanks....no offense taken either -- your argument is very logical and I respect it....plus I'm neutral towards Joey anyway, so to me, it doesn't matter....my dislike is more directed toward EEG than anything....

#20 redhk888

redhk888

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

r u sure about that??? thats £50m right?? hollywood actors don't even get that....and does she actually make any money from her music..i thought it was all the advertising which makes her the money???

#21 shadow711

shadow711

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

^^^ i read (well saw in pics) of a hk magazine that she owns a lot of properties, so guess she makes the money of that as well

#22 misssy

misssy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:13 AM

r u sure about that??? thats £50m right?? hollywood actors don't even get that....and does she actually make any money from her music..i thought it was all the advertising which makes her the money???

From the article:
"With the contract inked, Joey's estimated worth is now pinned at around HKD 500m (S$100m), making her the richest among singers in Hong Kong".

I think the article is implying the amount she is getting for her contract extension with EEG not what she made. The article says its in Hong Kong Dollar so I am reading it as $5,000,000 HKD (Which seems a little low for her now that I see the zeros) unless they mean $500,000,000 (Which seems way to high for any singer in Hong Kong). So now I am confuse.

#23 thylakoid

thylakoid

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

^ $500 mil is the value of her total assets, not the money she gets for renewing her contract.

No offense taken....but unfortunately, yes, sometimes the company can affect the perception of that person, just like a crazy fan can affect what other people think of a particular artist....it may sound unreasonable and unfair, but it's a reality, since everyone has their own preferences and value system that they support.

In the case of EEG, I'm not saying that anyone who works for that company is a bad person (and they certainly aren't, since there are alot of good artists that came from that company), all I'm saying is that I personally will not support that company because of its questionable practices -- and since I have neutral feelings toward Joey and don't like EEG, then of course the preference is going to lean toward the stronger emotion (the dislike of EEG). So it's just unfortunate for Joey....

Now if there was someone I liked prior to them joining EEG, that's a different story -- like Leo Ku for example...I'm not a fan either, but I think his singing isn't bad and I've had exposure to alot of his previous works (whether it's hosting, acting, or singing), so he's still a "like" in my book (though I won't be buying his album anymore)....

Not buying albums from singers in a company you don't like is perfectly fine imo. But are you purposely avoiding exposure from EEG artists? My point is that there are many other ways to listen to a singer's music/performances without having to spend money, such as youtube, coughdownloadingcough. Joey has been at the top of the industry for many years now, wouldn't most people be curious and check her stuff out (whether it be performances, concerts, or songs) to see what the hype is all about? Of course, I'm not saying that you absolutely HAVE to, lol. I just think it's unfair how Joey is looked down upon just because she is in EEG (especially when you admitted you haven't tried listening to her). Actually, this applies to many HK singers as well, when people don't listen to singers that aren't popular, or say that ALL HK singers can't sing. Oh well, at least being neutral is better than hating. Btw, have you stopped watching/listening to Leo since he signed with EEG?

.and does she actually make any money from her music..i thought it was all the advertising which makes her the money???

If by music, you mean CDs, I doubt any HK singer makes much from selling CDs nowadays. I've read somewhere that some companies don't even profit from it anymore.

Edited by thylakoid, 15 July 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#24 J.Keats

J.Keats

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

People need to read threads carefully. If you intend on skimming the title, don't bother making a comment because it adds nothing to the discussion.

$500million is her speculated assets, nothing to do with her contract. $500million hkd isn't all that much for a top entertainer if you think about it. Also, this is pure speculations, I doubt there's an accurate way of determining how much she makes unless you have a lot of insider information (including the profits on her investments). Plus, I'm assuming a lot of her income has nothing to do with being an entertainer (property, shares etc). She could probably earn more but Joey is an artiste who hasn't ventured into a lot of business unlike others who have their own recording studios/companies.

I really doubt Andy Lau/Aaron Kwok gets paid $500m hkd per movie. Angelina Jolie won't get paid that much per movie and the audience base in HK/Asia is a lot smaller.

I'm really concerned about people bashing Joey for being a horrible actress. There's a slight running joke among people (including her fans and Joey herself) who openly acknowledge that her acting skills are questionable. Truth is, she doesn't try to hide her flaws and attempts to improve. I don't think someone should be bashed for their acting skills unless they've been showered with GREAT roles and still fail. Joey has had a bunch of smaller roles and you can see an improvement (albeit, a slight one). Have you guys seen earlier TVB series of established actors/actresses like Ron or Charmaine? They started off pretty shaky but have improved over MANY years. Joey does...a movie a year? At best? Plus her movies are usually in comedic roles and they do what they're meant to do - ENTERTAIN. People don't usually go to watch a movie that Joey is in because they expect an Oscar winning performance (or HK Film Award in this case), what they're usually after is seeing a top HK artiste attempt a movie role.

For those who say her dancing is bad - can you please name 3 other HK artistes who dance better than Joey?

#25 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Not buying albums from singers in a company you don't like is perfectly fine imo. But are you purposely avoiding exposure from EEG artists? My point is that there are many other ways to listen to a singer's music/performances without having to spend money, such as youtube, coughdownloadingcough. Joey has been at the top of the industry for many years now, wouldn't most people be curious and check her stuff out (whether it be performances, concerts, or songs) to see what the hype is all about? Of course, I'm not saying that you absolutely HAVE to, lol. I just think it's unfair how Joey is looked down upon just because she is in EEG (especially when you admitted you haven't tried listening to her). Actually, this applies to many HK singers as well, when people don't listen to singers that aren't popular, or say that ALL HK singers can't sing. Oh well, at least being neutral is better than hating. Btw, have you stopped watching/listening to Leo since he signed with EEG?

I probably should clarify my statement -- it's not that I haven't listened to Joey sing at all because I have, like on awards shows and stuff....what I meant was that outside of that, I don't make an attempt to purposefully listen to her music or seek out shows / programs with her in it to watch. So in a sense, I know nothing about her musical skills, techniques, what types of songs she sings, whether she is good or not, etc. because my exposure to her music is limited purely to "chance" encounters (like she happens to be a winner on an award show I'm watching or a guest on a particular program). This is why I say that my feelings toward her are "neutral" because I don't feel I know her well enough to lean either way (like her or hate her).

As for Leo -- I haven't exactly stopped watching/listening to him (meaning I have NOT boycotted him just because he signed with EEG), since he is still on my "like" list as stated before...but I'm not going to be buying any albums of his in the near future...if one of his new songs happens to come on the radio, I'll still listen to it, but that's about it...

#26 sushiroll

sushiroll

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

500 million HK is prob her GROSS amount, including brand name and image. doubt she has this much. dont forget about paying taxes and the huge chunk that EEG takes out of her pay. prob not much left when u consider this.

#27 aznkingbzt

aznkingbzt

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

seems like she very focus into her career. I think she need to take a break, have some fun and relax, don't want to over work the singer.

#28 Leawitt

Leawitt

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

Joey main souces of income derive from Album, Advertising, Concert and the sub income from movie or drama (not that much).
Income from selling album is not that much but advertising make up the big slice of her revenue. I do recall some 4 years back (if not mistaken) her annual gross income for that year was HK60 million (her peak year). I make it a average figure of HK20 million per year and mutiple by 10 years then equal to HK200 million..including the contract figure contribution it might be around HK350 million..less taxation then .....

To estimated her current figure at HK500 million ++ is a little bit over but to include her next 10 years figure then no problem for her..

Note :
If not mistaken his advertising revenue per product is range from HK3 million to HK8 million. (mostly in the HK3 million - HK5 million range)
Her best year doing around 11 advertising (considered the best for any entertainer)...
Her figure album selling average around 200,000 pcs (worldwide figure) x HK7 - HK10 commission..

#29 azertyman93

azertyman93

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

not really a surprise, she did a lot of things these past years including lot of commercial ads, album, concert etc....