Episodes 11-15 for Beauty Knows No Pain

21 replies to this topic

#1 foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,868 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

I hope we will get to see Joyce's new makeover to these new episodes.

Episode 11:

Spoiler

Credits: http://programme.tvb...pain/episode/11

#2 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

Summaries for episode 11 to 15. Oh my gosh, I can't wait for next week's episodes! It's so intriguing! Posted Image Looks like Maggie's character will be heading down the dark road!

Spoiler

Edited by Caramelapples, 08 August 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#3 ArtificialSweetener

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

LAWL at Power's reaction to JJ being a lesbian. He's so horrible to Joe XD. And of course he tells everyone at work...Don't like the fact that as her agent, he's making Joyce earn fast money like that. Its almost like he's her pimp. Having to take those jobs to pay off her debts will definitely add to her vanity, since well, sex sells (so overused). Its not like she ever really let herself control her own life since most people avoided her for her appearance so she had to depend on her friends for that bit of confidence and housing. I hope her ending is that she becomes independent and confident while maintaining a good heart. I know its only half-way through the series, but she is the only character in serious need of both those qualities. She really does seem to hate Maggie for 'betraying' Michelle and being the usurper. She's even brought Power over to Michelle's side, kind of. I wonder if it really was her releasing the info to Elena or maybe one of the ABCDEF girls, who really serve no purpose other than being eye candy for the guys. The preview makes me think that it was something major that she sabotaged in retaliation for getting unfairly(or fairly) blamed for Purple Queen's win.

Poor Maggie's getting crap from all sides, I feel bad for her. For the most part she is right for saying and doing what she has done for Lafa and Stella Young, but it is bad timing to have taken the brand manager spot right when the company is releasing sales figures, and under such dangerous circumstances, having unwittingly made enemies out of everyone except for Joe.

XD Michelle and Gordon still aren't fond of each other. I wonder why she accused Gordon of having mice walking around the food after the waiter said there weren't any real mice. I mean he really just opened and the place is so empty. She also wouldn't take instant revenge on his refusal to cook according to her extremely picky demands, especially after he drove her to the hospital. That evil smile and comment she made to Maggie is going to make the office politics interesting for tomorrow. Also, I hope Michelle gives FMCG a major upgrade and a makeover before she leaves. Ah, the rice cooker in the office. Such a nice touch.

Change in hairstyle outfit choice for Joyce= major change in character? Michelle moving up to GM somewhere??? A possible Michelle-Joyce-Elena collaboration (would they actually go for it :loool: ?)?

#4 *xueling*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

Since it was so requested by emolori96 ^^ Thanks to caramelapples from providing the source :)

Haven't exactly been watching everything, so there are gaps in my understanding while I'm translating so, it's not perfect. I tried my best. Insert standard disclaimer here.

Translations of episodic summaries for Beauty Knows No Pain.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Totally want to watch this, but I don't even haven't even gotten to episode 10 yet T.T

Edited by *xueling*, 13 August 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#5 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Even with the betrayal and severing of relationships in episode 11, there were certain parts which were hilarious. Namely, the part where Michelle goes to the FMCG department and encounters Pauline, Queenie and Owen. Her look of disbelief was a LOL moment. Also, they seem to be very good-natured, if not slightly incompetent... perhaps Michelle would have better (if not, healthier) working relationships with them. The rice-cooker was pretty funny; not to mention the entire disorder of the department. Posted Image

I have a feeling that Michelle's going to be able to rectify matters in the FMCG department though; and bring success to the several brands under it. During the meeting with the other brand managers and the GM, Michelle was saying something about raising up again after being defeated (?) and I think the show is going to go into the direction as to how Michelle climbs back up after being demoted, literally speaking, from near the head of the table to the end of the table. It's pretty humiliating; and Elena is read with just the perfect jabs at the perfect times. Her comments about Michelle being the 'happiness' icon from previously to a 'tough' icon was actually pretty accurate. XD And I've got to get used to 'Noble Je' instead of 'Cash Tai' now that she's not more Mrs. Chin. The first few times it was used in reference to Michelle, it caught me off-guard and I was like; "Huh?" Posted Image

Joyce and Maggie's friendship is obviously gone; what a sad thing. Posted Image I thought Michelle did a good job at being neutral towards Maggie but Joyce's words made the situation turn ugly. It seems as though Maggie is trying to salvage things when both Joyce and Michelle are treating her with such coldness - she's trying hard to be civilised when interacting with Michelle during the scene in the mall but Michelle's not going to take it, still stinging from the betrayal.

Joyce's parents not accepting her physical change was quite unexpected; but brings to light a certain issue about being loved for who one is and not how one looks like. Power does seem to be 'pimping' Joyce out. Posted Image

I wonder if it was really Joyce who leaked the information to Elena; but something makes me think that it wasn't. I don't think Michelle would want LAFA and Stella Young (both her babies, so to speak) to lose out to Purple Queen, even if Maggie was running things. She was even willing to resign beforehand to protect the brands. Not to mention, neither Joyce nor Michelle looked particularly pleased with Purple Queen being the highest selling brand during the annual dinner. I doubt Joyce would do something to go against that? Or so I hope.

And Michelle/Gordon butting heads. It was pretty funny; how prickly he was with her. Posted Image Really want to see how they develope this relationship. :D

View PostArtificialSweetener, on 10 August 2010 - 05:06 AM, said:

Change in hairstyle outfit choice for Joyce= major change in character? Michelle moving up to GM somewhere??? A possible Michelle-Joyce-Elena collaboration (would they actually go for it :loool: ?)?

A Michelle-Joyce-Elena collaboration would be quite amazing. LOL. I doubt they would, but it's an idea made of WIN. Imagine Michelle and Elena being disgruntled partners in crime, insulting each other as they carry out plans. It'll be so hilarious!

This week's episodes should be very, very interesting! Looking forward to tonight's episode!

Edited by Caramelapples, 10 August 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#6 cutebabyangel19

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

well... kudos to tvb... they have successfully made maggie's character very complex... n altho its hard for the audience to like her... at least most of us can probably understand where she's coming from....it seems that she really wants friends, but if she had to choose between promoting her career and having close friends, she chooses to step up her career... which is just sad.... n wut she did to michelle... altho it seems completely villainous... it can actually be justified because michelle did think about immigrating to canada and leaving them to handle the mess... if her husband had not slept with stephy again.. she prob would have... so u can't really get that mad at maggie for watching out for herself..... it was also a nice gesture for maggie to save michelle's ass in today's episode.. altho i was kinda disappointed that it was also for selfish reasons...but hey.. i guess thats what makes her character complex and worth watching.... looking at the trailers tho... it seems that maggie's character goes more and more downhill so that i find it hard for her to somehow end up with nick.... oh well.. their relationship isn't what i would call romantic anyway... im so much more interested in power and joyce and michelle and that other guy... those two pairs are uber cute!!!!

#7 two piece

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:00 AM

I think even Michelle wants to migrate, she will stay and clean up the mess before she does so, that's what she told her husband.

#8 *xueling*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

Maggie and Michelle were trying very hard to be civil with one another, and it showed, when Maggie said that the FMCG department would benefit from her leadership. I would like to believe that she meant it because she does know that Michelle is capable, so yeah. Things started going downhill when Joyce opened her (damn) mouth, she should have kept it shut, really. What came after that was a matter of egos talking, and not what they really thought or felt. Any semblance of open civility would have been because there was someone important around. Her last line about rising up again was quite...inspiring? I don't know. The mall scene was unfortunate, though I didn't think that Michelle was wrong.

Michelle's entrance to the FMCG department was one that was laughter inducing, I could tell that she was totally not expecting that, and her look of helplessness was very funny. I did like their enthusiasm, and their warmess, even though they appear to be slightly incapable :P The whole department is just screwed, as shown by how they clean up the place upon orders from Michelle. As with the rice cooker, though I never understood what was the purpose of it.

I actually loved the meeting scene, Maggie did sit in the seat closest to the GM, and Michelle was not exactly very happy about it, but she really did take it in stride and went right to the end to sit, without protesting. Purely because she went to the end by herself and did not try to get a seat closer to the GM made me respect her character. Of course, Elena was totally rubbing it in with the "Ex Mrs Cash", and picking on her seating. What she said about her being a 'tough' icon was true, and I particularly liked was about how the strong would prevail and the weak would fall. Nice to know that Maggie was still concerned about Michelle when Elena said something, and Maggie cast a glance. This too goes for Michelle when Savio unjustly scolded her for the flagging sales figures, which wasn't her fault since she just took over the brand. Precisely why I don't like his character, he's hopeless, how did he become the (crap) GM anyway?!
Sweet how the FMCG people called Michelle over after she was snubbed by some high up person. It was sad when Lafa lost to Purple Queen on sales figures, on not entirely fair terms. Of course, Elena was cocky as anything, and poor Maggie had to take her crap. Michelle and Joyce were also not all too pleased with the unsatisfactory result.
I doubt that Joyce would go and sabotage Lafa or Stella Young because she knows that Michelle was the one who built it up, and even if Maggie was in charge, i don't think she would want them to go down. However, if helping Michelle meant that it would indirectly (and not obviously enough for Joyce to detect) sabotage Lafa, I think Joyce would falter.

Dominic is simply pathetic, I mean, using such underhanded means to try and get Michelle to change her mind. Get a life man. His throwing tempers at her totally did not help matters, and I just want to wring his neck. :noclue <--- that would be suitable :D

When michelle said that there was no one she would like to inform about her landing in hospital :( Sigh.
Gordon and michelle were really funny at the end of ep 12, with the herbal soup, and his complete change in treatment of Michelle xD She was caught kind of offguard eh, especially when she was losing it in the car.

Joyce's parents were quite superficial to not accept her for who she was and make a heckload of noise about her look. I mean, if she really had no confidence and stuff, I don't see how doing it is wrong, it's her face anyway :P Clearly, I do not like Joyce's parents for trying to 'force' her and 'Tony' to get married especially when he is such a useless cad. Power is many times better x.x But i still don't like how Power kept suggesting for her to go for excessive plastic surgery, but oh well. I think if he accepts her for who she is, he will redeem himself. Hopefully he's not a 'TonyII' because I do like their relationship, it's adorable for the most part xD Joyce's treatment of 'Tony' when she saw him was wonderful, he got what he deserved, just that it would have been more appropriate on his head haha xD He totally deserved it, and more!

Maggie fires Joyce, though I don't think that is exactly a bad thing anyway. At least Maggie and Joyce won't be staring daggers at each other or forcing themselves to be civil, i suppose it was a form of release for Joyce, since her loyalty did lie with Michelle anyway. I just feel that the whole friendship between Michelle and Joyce feels incomplete without Maggie, I don't know :P It might fall apart too, though I hope not. (though I do admit that my favourite would be between Maggie and Michelle, which is already in shreds)

Thing is at this point, I can't bring myself to blame Maggie, since I don't think it is entirely her fault anyway. Yes, she was trying to save face, but many people would have done that, especially since she is capable of doing so. It is true that Michelle kinda messed up recently, and I would be pissed if I knew that she was just going to abandon us like that. I don't agree with everything that she does, but I really like her strength, though that has also become her biggest weakness. Who's perfect anyway? Who's to say that she was wrong in choosing to put her career above everything. At least she made a decision, a tough one, and stood by it, she didn't go throwing herself at Joe when he was still married, or try to get rid of JJ Jia. In fact she attempted to help them, though she didn't expect that it would backfire, but I give her credit for trying. You can see that she is trying very hard to control her emotions, and just be colleagues/friends with Joe, even though it totally showed when she 'saved' Joe from 'Mrs Lafa'. Maggie also denied that she was with Joe (until they made up). She's definitely not in the best of situations, having to face an angry GM, all the enemies from all around and (her crap family). But she still soldiers on, I like that, yeah, even though I know people are divided about her character.

Loved the part when 'Mrs Lafa' told her that it was her choice whether she wanted the dress or not, but don't take too long to decide, because it won't be there for long (alluding to Joe also). It drove her into taking action (that was thankfully not like the ABCEDF girls who just shamelessly throw themselves at Joe even though he finds them a nuisance). Maggie really outclassed those gals many many times ^^ Even though one could label her as 'desperate' or even 'shameless', at least Joe doesn't find her a nuisance and he is lying to himself. Her one action was really effective LOL xD I loved the scene where Maggie entered the bar (surprisingly, because it's not what I normally like)

Want her to end up with Joe as much as Joyce end up with Power and Michelle with Gordon :D I very much like their platonic relationship before episode 12. Anything less would make the ending incomplete :P I hope for a happy ending gosh!

#9 athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

plotwise, this might very well be the best series of this year. Entertainment wise, it's also great. It has a great balance between comedy and strategic fighting.

But really... I keep forgetting what FMCG means, anyone remember what it stands for? They just said it once and then continued to use that name the past few eps...

as for pathetic GMs. I think dilbert taught us that the managers are usually the fools.

#10 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

View Postathlon, on 12 August 2010 - 12:26 PM, said:

But really... I keep forgetting what FMCG means, anyone remember what it stands for? They just said it once and then continued to use that name the past few eps...

Fast moving consumer goods; basically stuff that sells quickly and are cheaper; like lip-balms etc. :)

Edited by Caramelapples, 12 August 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#11 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Episode 12 and 13 was pretty interesting in terms of character development. Loved Bibi's gain in confidence and watching how Michelle navigated the FMCG department and the hurdles they have to overcome. Maggie's conflicts with Elena is also really interesting to watch! It's like, now that Michelle's been eliminated from her previous position, Elena's got to work on fully removing Michelle from climbing up the ladder once again as she seems to be doing efficiently. Joyce is so adorable. Posted Image Even though she's transformed into this beautiful woman, she's still as goofy as ever. LOL at the cockroach in the bathroom set up by Power's grandmother. Posted Image

In episode 12, I liked the working relationships between the staff in the FMCG department. I really like how they're all just generally so much more good-natured than the rest of the staff we've seen so far. Perhaps not a bevy of pretty girls, but I like them so much better. The 'talk' Michelle gave them in the beginning of the episode was nice to see; like the determination she has. And also, Joyce/Michelle is sweet! It's so nice of Joyce to do the things for Michelle; even though under such hostile environments. Her actions were suspicious in the beginning but I knew it was a decoy! XD Red herrings to make viewers think that she really did betray Maggie to Elena; I was pretty sure she wouldn't do that to LAFA or Stella Young even if she didn't the current situation with Maggie running things. I'm glad my faith in Joyce was proven! Posted Image Enjoyed Joyce's transformation process with Power. :D Good for her that she poured the milkshake on Tony! Can't stand that good for nothing dude. Posted Image

The entire scene with Gordon chasing her to the office was hilarious. Posted ImageCoupled with the funny soundtrack; I had a good time snickering away through that part. It's just unfortunate that the GM and Elena had to be there. Looks like Dominic is going to extremes to try and prevent Michelle from getting that divorce including trying to sabotage her career. Seems like he's gone to the lowest of the low; but it makes an interesting turn of events. Good thing Joe got there in time! One can really, really see the problems she has facing her; poor thing. And Gordon turning up with the soup. He's so brash and rude. Posted Image But that's what makes the situation and their interactions so funny to watch. :D

Episode 13 was not so high on the conflict and drama for the most part. Maggie firing Joyce on the spot was a bit of a sore point, but one can understand why she did it. With all the evidence (misguided it may seem) she had, it was the only conclusion she could come up with. It was great though, when Michelle rehired Joyce to be her assistant instead. :D And yay for Michelle's success with promoting the FMCG brands! ^_^ So glad to see that even with her demotion, she's rising up to the challenge and working with the things she has. She might not have LAFA anymore, but so what? She can make Vikki, Asian Lady, Dr Green and whatever else into successes as well; as she had with LAFA. Of course, Elena had to come and give some trouble, LOL, but it was quite funny watching Michelle playing the sympathies (or rather, fear) of Savio by 'intending' to lift the boxes herself. His expressions are so funny. He's quite inefficient and rather the idiot, but very comical. Posted Image Elena ending up having to help carry the products as well was an ironic outcome. ROFL.

Elena (through Cindy) sabotaging Michelle produced a pretty funny outcome; although with Michelle's job at risk again, I liked the scenes where Michelle and Joyce were trying to get the products delivered and how Michelle played upon her pregnancy to solve situations. Especially the part where the shop was almost closing; LMFAO. The lady even gave her herbs. And the pillow dropping out later on when they were making their 'escape' was a totally laugh-out-loud moment. Posted Image

Dominic the idiot-soon-to-be-ex-husband made an appearance again; to take Michelle's car. Posted Image But let's not go there. I liked the Gordon/Michelle scene where she breaks down and he panics and starts grabbing for the tissue box, begging her not to cry. He obviously doesn't know how to deal with a crying woman. Posted Image The development of their relationship from slow tentative friendship in the beginning to something more later is nice to watch. It's going to be such a cute relationship.

Michelle, although grateful for Maggie saving her skin, was very right in her observation that there was much more to it than just 'helping' Michelle. Maggie wanted to gain an upper hand over Elena for her own benefits too. I am glad that they seem to be on civil terms now. Some food for thought as the episode ended. Now looking forward to watching episode 14!

Edited by Caramelapples, 12 August 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#12 cutebabyangel19

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

i guess the best way to describe the things maggie does is that they're understandable, but unforgivable. watching ep 14, i really feel like she does go all out, evening hurting the people around her, to further her career. in fact, i feel like ep 14 is at the point where her actions have turned into both not understandable and unforgivable. her competition with nick is ridiculous (n i know that he kinda striked back).... but she really started it first when she told him not to talk about work and then tried to get info from him and then eavesdropped on his conversation and stole his connection (peter). n when they were doing the car race, he only lost because he was concerned for her safety, whereas she didn't care for him at all. i really don't know what nick sees in her... he has so many better choices out there. i think michelle puts it best when she tells her, "you can be competitive, but do it in an honorable way and in a way that doesn't hurt the people around u".

n gordon liu acts so cute... im so glad that they put him in there

#13 ArtificialSweetener

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

@xueling: We were so close to being faint-free. So close. lol 3/4 into the series too. We knew it would happen, somewhere along the way.

On Joyce's parents: Well they were pretty cold towards her for having surgery done and for participating in such a revealing promotion, but I get where they're coming from. No parent would want their child to change themselves in order to please others/gain acceptance and most, especially Chinese parents, would never allow them to go through with plastic surgery. Unless of course it is a major health concern or has caused so much ridicule from peers that they've developed a psychological disorder (e.g. body dysmorphia). Otherwise, they'd feel hurt that you've changed something that they've given you, even if it boosts your self-esteem.

Oh dear, this post is going to be longggg. *stretches*

Episode 12:
GO JOYCE. Tony totally deserved it.

It was REALLY low of Dominic to set Michelle up like that, its not like he's her only connection, she has built a network of friends and acquaintances that she can use to find a better job, like how she knew Peter and helped Maggie.

Anybody else think they're trying too hard to push the romance between Maggie and Joe? I mean she pretty much is the main lead (by screen time: Maggie>Michelle>Joyce) and they were dating before so they don't really need to build a relationship, but the script seems to be pushing it. The fierce bar scene with the lipstick and the car chase in episode 14 had me almost :STUPID . But they are really compatible and come up with similar conclusions so it works out fine. The other relationships are progressing gradually and are kind of subtle with a lot of ROFLing along the way.

Episode 13:
LOL Joyce's moment of unemployment lasted about...a minute. Don't know about the real-world possibility of getting fired and rehired in an instant, and at the same company no less, but that must have cemented Joyce's hate for Maggie (even though to have a happy ending, they have to make up somehow) and made her idolize Michelle more. At the end of episode 12, I still felt that Joyce hadn't changed much from her pre-surgery/haircut days so I'm glad that she wasn't the real culprit. She's still too damn innocent, although her actions were highly suspicious. She may hate Maggie, but she wouldn't jeopardize her's and Michelle's careers just to prove it. She's still broke from all the money spent on the surgeries!

Elena seems to know her rival all too well, Michelle will keep coming back until she's completely out of the game. LOL at the 'kissing' between Elena and Savio, such a hilarious fake make out session. Maggie really seems to want to rekindle that close friendship with Michelle by helping her out, but Michelle still doesn't seem to have fully forgiven her because she unintentionally chose the most brutal route without having really thought of the possibilities or consequences. Do feel bad for Savio's son though.

The FMCG team is so cute (and harmless). They are loyal but just lacked leadership, which they now have in Michelle.

The sexy girl/pregnant woman tag team between Joyce and Michelle is too much WIN. XDDD Joyce got Hong and Kong to help because the two creeps just want to stare at her all day and Michelle used her pregnancy to scare Savio into helping. With the need to get truck driver to move, Joyce is catering to the trucker's sexual desires and when that doesn't work Michelle works on his wife's maternal instincts. ROFL with the mall scene, they couldn't even believe it worked out and with benefits too!

XD Gordon's starting to care a lot about Michelle, but she's never in the mood to actually notice it. Well, he does always show up when she's sad. Dominic continues to fall into the pit of douchebaggery...

Episode 14:

Maggie-Power=bickering, foolishness on Power's part, Elena-Joe= flirting now that she can't use Savio. LOL at how Maggie and Joe were trying to get the secrets out of each other, especially Maggie. I see some trust issues in this relationship :argh Proving again that networking is the most important thing, she was lucky that Michelle was there to meet with Kimura-san's manager, but ouch, Michelle still has to take a stab at how Maggie handled the Savio-Elena affair.

Poor FMCG, XD the lipstick was their only success that yielded a profit since the department's creation. ROFL at Joyce's reaction to being the spokesperson for the Vikki facial mask.She looks so mortified when she sees that blog. "You found a candidate? Where?" And Michelle wants to make it such a widespread and most importantly, cost-efficient promotion so the extremely shy Joyce has this T_T "they tricked me into it" face. She's starting to love Power, but he's too focused on the money they're getting to take her hints.

Gordon's kind of past the "concerned neighbour" stage :3 He broke her door because he thought she was trying to hang herself and then offers to fix it after standing guard for the night. LOL at Michelle saying: "Nice, I'm not even dead yet and there's already someone here to guard my (dead) body" Gordon vs. Dominic, obviously Gordon would win :noclue I like how they're trying to incorporate some of their true talents (martial arts) and past accomplishments (Michelle and the original LOCH) into the dialogue. The way Gordon worded things with Dominic does make his assumption about Gordon trying to get with his soon-to-be ex kind of reasonable XD. Hate how Dominic and his mom still think they have control over Michelle's life, though his mom does end up on Michelle's side with the custody battle according to older posts.

If she isn't already suffering from it already, I think Maggie's going to fall into depression. She has no friends and even though she wants to make up with Michelle (she forgot about Joyce??? *shock*), the latter doesn't seem to want much to do with her. Her plans have been foiled and reactions are disastrous from the audience and she knows that even though she's tried so hard to prove herself and make things right, people still view her as a failure. At least that's how she sees herself in the eyes of others. The only one who keeps her happy is Joe. I think that she's spreading the news about Vikki's and Purple Queen's masks being from the same plant almost exactly the same because she's seeing that Michelle has continued success and could be jealous because she has hit rock-bottom. I could be over-thinking it and she has an entirely different (hopefully more well-thought out) goal, but her offers of friendship have been refused twice so it is possible. We'll find out tomorrow...

#14 *.marshmalloww

piko ♥ .

• Forum Seniors
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

IDK....if I was the kid I'd still want my parents to separate if my mother was really unhappy about my dad's affair == Like, I can see why hiding it from them is a good thing, but I personally think they should know and not let the man keep cheating on his wife....

Anyhow, I really hope Jackie and Nick still end up together!

#15 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

^

Actually, for a young child, parents separating might have an impact on his emotional development as he may not be able to understand a lot of things happening in the adult world. And antagonising one parent is not very healthy; even if the parent was in the wrong. Being a bad husband does not really mean that one would be a bad father. Of course, if the father is impacting negatively on his child, then that's a different story. Unfortunately, that particular plot-point wasn't given much details in the series, so audience can only speculate as to how the situation might be.

Edited by Caramelapples, 13 August 2010 - 10:29 AM.

#16 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

In episode 14, Michelle and Maggie seems to have reached some sort of understanding; but the relationship feels very fragile and both parties are still very wary of each other, especially on Michelle's part.

Elena's plan to split the working team of Maggie and Joe was quite brilliant on her part. She's devious, and deliciously so. Taking Joe on her team was also a smart move, knowing that Maggie and Joe are in a relationship. This is why most companies don't condone office romances. Maggie's ambitions are clear to see as she competes with Joe to gain an upper-hand; obviously work and home are really hard to separate in matters like these. Networking is surely important, and Michelle with loads of experience behind her surely has build up a lot of contacts. It's good to see her utilising it to help Maggie as a grateful gesture for Maggie's helping her in the previous episode. Even if she doesn't agree with how Maggie handled the Savio/Elena affair, at least she still is grateful. Maggie's taking steps to try and mend their relationship but Michelle seems to be constantly on her guard around her which is understandable. One can see how lonely Maggie is at the workplace, having lost both Michelle's and Joyce's friendships in one go... and with the heavy tension-filled working environment and the stress of trying to pull up LAFA from the slump it's currently in. Random note: Peter's wig is so obvious, LOL.

The entire FMCG department team is so adorable. Honestly. With Michelle at the helm of it, they're working very well and the continuous improving sales are definitely a testament to their efficiency as a team. Their previous department head must have been a dimwit - sort of someone like their GM perhaps? Posted Image Their willingness to work with each other without the intense competition as in like the competition between Purple Queen/LAFA makes the working environment very productive. Joyce, despite her glorified appearance with the added glamour, is still the same old Joyce with her dorkiness, loyalty and her innocence. Power is quite the efficient manager, knowing how to get his 'star' to places. And Joyce has already fallen in love with him. XD Of course, he's not going to like the revealing clothes when he falls for her and will change his stance; which boyfriend likes other man ogling their girl? ROFL.

Despite all Gordon's lack of manners and etiquette, he's a diamond in the rough. He's always there for Michelle which is good because dealing with everything alone without support is hard and especially since she's pregnant. It seems he's the one always concerned about her; and if nothing else, at least he makes sure she eats. LOL. The entire debacle with the breaking her window and trying to prevent her from presumably committing suicide was hilarious when all she was trying to do was to change the light-bulb. LMAO. I like how their relationship is developing; it's completely adorable. Gordon and Dominic fighting was very comical when both of them were adopting the fighting stances and yelling into each other's faces. Gordon is so protective; it's so sweet! At the moment, the mother-in-law is naturally still on her son's side... but I'm curious to see the catalyst for her sudden support of Michelle to keep the baby near the end of the series.

I think that she's spreading the news about Vikki's and Purple Queen's masks being from the same plant almost exactly the same because she's seeing that Michelle has continued success and could be jealous because she has hit rock-bottom.

Hmm, I think she's doing it merely to sabotage Elena to take revenge for what happened at the conference and Michelle being blamed for it was an unexpected side-effect which Maggie will regret due to her guilty conscience. As much as Maggie's gone for the worse, I don't think she'll intentionally sabotage Michelle when she's been trying to mend things with her. The writers are doing a good job in showing how Maggie's character is progressing with the series; as Michelle previously said, Maggie's advantage is that she's ambitious but her weakness is that she's too ambitious. Her ambition causes her to take actions which can be reckless or sometimes, hurtful to those around her. We can see how it's starting to take a toll on her relationship with Joe.

i think michelle puts it best when she tells her, "you can be competitive, but do it in an honorable way and in a way that doesn't hurt the people around u".

Yeap, I think so too. What I like about Michelle's character is that even though she's in such a working environment with so much backstabbing and power-plays, she tries to be as ethical as she can and she knows how to handle Elena's malicious tricks. Maggie's character goes down the dark road but she'll come around. Through her faults, she's ultimately good and Michelle can see that.

#17 seedan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

wah, I want Jackie and Nick Nick to end up together too ar...but awww :( Not going to happen. RAWR T__T XDDD

#18 *xueling*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

^

Yes, that I totally agree. :D I'm wishing it's going to happen, because I'm assuming that the other two (Power-Joyce and Gordon-Michelle) are in the bag. Or so I hope. It should happen, I think, since the other people supposedly have happy endings, they should too? I hope. I hope.

#19 *xueling*

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Episode 13, 14 and 15. Though I've kind of already forgotten what happened in episode 13 :P So this will be in a purely random order x.x

First would be that Dominic is a pathetic idiot. Given that i've just seen it in episode 15, when he and his mom were discussing about why he was so intent on obtaining custody of that child. Yeah, actually I didn't understand why he was so keen on it, honestly! What vested interest does he have in taking that child when, like his mom says, could just go and have a child with another woman? That sounds like a very good idea to save Michelle from all the grief. What is he concerned about? The quality of the gene pool? But since he's so confident about his own genes, why does it matter? xP It was downright lowdown of him to rush to hospital and act all concerned (about the baby) and behind her back talk about the impending child custody battle. Not that I didn’t expect it from the same person who hauled her car away. Luckily the house was in Michelle’s name xD

I think it was in episode 13 after Dominic hauled her car away that she just started crying in front of Gordon, who, to give him credit, was really trying to be nice to her, and it kind of backfired. Clearly, he totally did not know how to handle her, and didn’t know what to do but offer tissues and tell her to eat (the free food that he was offering her). I wonder if it was intended to be funny, because I thought it was. Of course, in the scene where he bashes down the glass door because he thought that she was going to commit suicide was hilarious too, because she was trying to fix a lightbulb (which is why the info that he was willing to do everything including fixing lightbulbs comes from haha!). Whatever it was, I don’t think it was very smart of him to try and pull her down if she was trying to commit suicide would it? O.o But it was just hilarious too, with Michelle attempting in vain to explain while Gordon was all worked up. Dominic and Gordon fighting over Gordon coming out of her house had me rolling my eyes, though it was funny, because I totally agreed with Gordon about it not being Dominic’s business. And he still insisted on calling Michelle his wife, I mean .__. I secretly believe that Gordon was purposely trying to annoy him further by making them seem more than friends :P Of course, their ending up at the police station was not entirely unexpected. Dominic’s mom was being annoying by telling her not to have contact with rough people like Gordon. Well, I happened to think that she was talking about her idiot of a son. It would have been so ironic to see them get into a fight outside the police station again, though Michelle managed to prevent it.

Joyce definitely got more than she bargained for when Power became her manager of sorts. Talk about a free model eh? x.x I would give Power credit for successfully propelling her to fame with one advertisement, though it was admittedly quite sad when Joyce asked if her only purpose was to earn money, and Power said yes. Clearly, Michelle was not happy with the outcome when she saw the photos, I wonder what made her change her mind, but I suppose it must have been the GMs and the male colleagues drooling over the pictures. What sort of GM does Savio make anyway, he stooped down to ‘steal’ her pictures… Looks like he’s not exactly the perfect model of a repentant husband is he?
I also felt bad for Joyce when she went home and got scolded by her parents. It’s not that I don’t understand where they are coming from, but…I just found her very pitiful—at this point she isn’t vain or greedy as claimed, though I suspect that she might be later(but there’s 5 episodes left, even if she became like that, I’m going to assume that it’s not for long). They push my buttons, just like Dominic and his mom. =.=

I think it was in episode 13 when FMCG’s things got sabotaged by Elena , through one of her subordinates, resulting in the ensuing mess. I LOLed at Joyce’s attempt to get help from the truckdriver by using sex appeal, which failed because his wife was in the car, so Michelle decided to use her instead and staging an advanced stage pregnancy (funny how she tried to justify it by saying that she wasn’t lying, because she was pregnant, she just changed it from 4 to 7 months). Later that trick also served well when the shop was closing, and she pretended to collapse in pain. Their look of panic on their faces when the woman called them back was priceless—luckily it was for a box of herbs. You could totally see that they did not expect it. Neither did Michelle expect the pillow to drop out either :P That was hilarious too.

Talking about FMCG, did I hear wrong, or was the lipbalm/lipstick the only product that yielded a profit since their department was set up? That would have been slightly pathetic. Perhaps that’s why Michelle merely has a desk, and there is a conspicuous absence of a meeting room. Their teamwork was surprisingly good though, and they are sufficiently hardworking—I’m guessing their previous head must have been another airhead, just like Savio. The only reason why PSDS is making a profit is because of the people working under him, he himself is totally hopeless.

Elena was intelligent in trying to get rid of Michelle, because with her registering a success so early on, she must have figured out that she will regain her former glory faster than we expect her to. Her flirting/making out/(or however you want to read it as) with the married-with-kid Savio, was downright shameless, in my honest opinion. Savio was totally at fault too.

Power and his two random sidekicks were trying to spoof Maggie and Joe in front of a whole bunch of colleagues. For me that was the funniest moment of episode 13, was it? The way that both of them were watching from behind and shooting each other glances made it even funnier (I half expected them to get a scolding from Maggie and Joe, but obviously, everyone was trying to be funny) Personally thought that it was queer how the colleagues refused to believe the ‘reenactment’ done by both of them—obviously the words were totally changed, but the rest of it had some element of truth in it. I wonder if they were in denial, lawl. Everyone was dying when Maggie responded to the question if she minded them being funny :P

Getting down to probably the most controversial thing about Maggie revealing to Savio’s wife about him and Elena. First, I must say that it was sweet of her to rush down to the office even though she had a meeting with Joe’s parents, I choose to believe the thing that went through her mind then was Michelle (it was only subsequently after seeing the situation did she think about herself, consciously or otherwise). Her running up the stairs and spilling the wine was unfortunate, but at least she made it :D Obviously, I don’t think that Elena or Savio were right in doing that, and I think that Maggie genuinely didn’t think about the consequences beyond, it will benefit Michelle, it was hurt Elena. I really don’t think Savio’s wife crossed her mind—and even if it did, I don’t think it would change her decision, since she will find out eventually anyway, somehow, better to know sooner than later, and only then realize that he’s been a cheating bastard. Similarly, I buy that she did not expect his wife to bring his son to the office, only to catch them red-handed flirting, I suppose having it on a video and watching it live, is still different. Don’t doubt that the son will be scarred, but I don’t think Savio is that repentant either (look at him ogling at Joyce and you get a notion of that). I actually don’t even think that she knew that it was the most brutal route she could have chosen. Perhaps it would be even more brutal to call his wife and get her to see it first hand that night, but anyway.

Michelle obviously didn’t like it, because it struck a chord with her (as with Joyce and Maggie talking about dysfunctional single parent families some time back). Maggie is trying to mend their friendship, and I think she is making some headway—they were on okay terms in episode 14, when Michelle asked the famous fella’s manager who was an old friend of hers to help Maggie. She thought that by doing that, she was doing no harm to anyone. Unfortunately she was wrong, she had no idea that Maggie car chased Joe to the airport. It would have been a close fight, just that Joe was more concerned about her safety. In episode 15, their relationship went back down to nothing again—Michelle was very sharp to be able to guess that Maggie was the one who spread the news about Purple Queen and Vikki for being similar simply by looking at one advertisement. She has always been sharp though, and totally able to read Maggie’s mind, as can Joe. Maggie denied it and Michelle more or less was sure that Maggie did it, so yeah, Maggie stormed out.

I don’t think that Maggie forgot about Joyce, just that Joyce tends to follow what Michelle says/does, and if Michelle becomes friends with Maggie again, everything would naturally fall back into place. Both of them are stinging from betrayals, just that Maggie had nothing to offer her, and had more she could ‘do’ for Michelle, so yeah.

Soo ironic that Elena just had to point out that Maggie was ‘depending’ on Joe to climb the ladder, because she was more guilty than Joe was, in my opinion. I mean, Savio is higher up right? Again ironic that to ‘prove’ herself, Maggie suggested that Elena cooperate with Joe and she with Power. Reminded me of the incident when she slapped him and told him to ‘Let go’, and Joe retorted that he was not like her—who would give up her boyfriend to prove a point. The dismay on Joe’s face was marked. Hilarious how they independently came to the same conclusion and even wanted the same spokesperson—they make wonderful partners and horrible enemies, their ideas will just overlap. Stupid how Maggie said not to talk about work, and the next second, she was talking about work again. Both of them successfully read each other and knew the other’s intentions—the parallel with them watching the television discussing about whether the male or female would win, was again, ironic.

Joe was nice in that he figured that Elena was up to something, and tried time and time again to warn her about the fella defaulting on the ‘agreement’. I suppose he saw something fishy when Elena wasn’t doing anything and the dates were the same. I bet Elena bribed the manager the same way as she did Savio. She was so cocky about it. Part of me wonders if at the end of the 20th episode, will she have a happy ending? Maggie tries so hard to maintain a brave front, but she was also as worried, if not more worried than they were. Her determination to persist on ended off sadly because all the reporters headed out and she was just so crushed. I knew that she was going to leave all the food there, but what I didn’t expect was for her to eat, instead of get drunk. The way she ate and the tears started coming, made me feel very bad for her—Joe appearing was totally expected, Maggie still doesn’t understand though.

Maggie spread the news that it Purple Queen and Vikki’s mask was similar because she thought it would benefit her and Michelle. Since the mask for Purple Queen was more expensive, and Vikki’s was so similar, then why should consumers choose Purple Queen? If they wanted a high end brand, they would choose Lafa because it was made in France. So to look at it simplistically, it indeed would benefit both sides. I buy that she didn’t expect Michelle to be investigated, or for Michelle to further faint and end up in hospital. Joyce was really sweet to her, and totally concerned about her. Way better than Dominic :D Glad to see that even though her appearance has changed, her soul is still the same—I hope it doesn’t change too. The scene where she had dinner with Joe at the restaurant was horribly uncomfortable because Joe clearly knew that Maggie was the one, and yet Maggie appeared so happy and stuff >< I think Joe saying that he could not stick with a woman who was so devious and underhanded made Maggie dig deep and think about it, though she didn’t have the guts to step in to see Michelle, but it did show, as joyce said, that she did have a conscience. After getting grilled by Michelle and Joe, she also gets confronted by Joyce, but this time she admits it and says that she feels horrible about it, and that she didn’t expect this to happen. Didn’t help to make Joyce any less angry at that point in time though her subsequent actions were selfless. Suppose her perceived understanding with regards to what Michelle said prompted Joyce to take such drastic action—she did say that she in reality had lost everything, she lost her sisterly relationship with Michelle, as well as her relationship with Joe. This reminded me of Maggie taking the blame for Michelle when she was overseas, just perhaps to a greater extent :P

In the end, she goes to Joe’s house and returns him the engagement ring, something which she clearly wasn’t exactly very happy about doing (as seen from her reaction at the start of episode 15), but she did it anyway. I choose to believe that she finally understands what Michelle is trying to get at and is truly repentant, and she really intended to turn herself in the next day. When she said that she had no right to wear the ring, and had to return it to Joe, I wondered what would that classify Dominic under :P Although she is impulsive and does not full consider the feelings of the people around her, I don’t think that she is bad, like she means no harm to anyone that matters most of the time. She is ambitious, which is her strength, and incredibly so, which makes it also her weakness. I am glad that Joyce, Joe and Michelle all could see that, which well, results in Joyce confessing that she was the one who sabotaged Purple Queen.

I thought she was really selfless—honestly. When she was confronted by Power, and said that she believed that it was worth it because it would save the relationship of Maggie and Michelle, and actually that of Maggie and Joe’s… I don’t know, I don’t think many people would have done that.

Finally, the so-called ‘forced’ scenes of Maggie and Joe’s relationship. In episode 12, we had the bar scene, in 14 we had the car chase and in 15 we had a rejected proposal and an accepted one :O Personally felt that the rejected proposal was quite amusing, with all the references to the past, with the dog and the fish porridge sellers. At least the dog is obedient now, if it’s even the same one x.x Maggie took the ring, but didn’t wear it because ‘she didn’t want to marry him at the lowest point of her life’. I thought it was ‘rushed’ in the sense that there were 2 proposals at the same place in one episode, and in the middle, Maggie returned the ring (actually it was the day before the second one, I think). Joe claimed the second time that he did not know if she was worth the ring, but believed that she would prove that she was—I hope he is right. If not @@, they might not end up together, which would make the ending blah.
Honestly, I didn’t think the bar scene was all that forced, since Maggie is impulsive, Mrs Lafa encouraged her to take action, given what happened before that and Maggie was notably disappointed :P , as with they have been together before (and do still care for each other, platonically or not, depends on the time frame) and they were together before. I knew it was coming because I read the summaries though x.x

#20 Felli

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

Episode 11-15 were superb. So many things were happening! Looking forward to the finale week.

#21 ArtificialSweetener

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

Maggie is ruthless when it comes to her need to prove herself to others by gaining the upper hand. As she said it herself, she doesn't think far enough to see that her plans are riddled with holes. She wants to help, but in desperation to regain lost ground on the fight for the senior position, her methods are almost as unethical as Elena's (almost, because she's not using sex to get her way). What she thought was a win-win situation was a loss and affects both Michelle and Joyce. I can see her giving up on climbing the business ladder at the end of the series already, lol.

So now we know that the surgeries won't be the only reason why Joyce changes, she wants to prove her parents wrong. We've probably all seen that kind of rebellion happen, and it usually ends in disaster.Even though they did what any parent would do and tried to convince her to from choosing the wrong path, where she stands to lose everything once the public gets over her, they were kind of insensitive. They obviously love Joyce and are actually trying to protect her, but their talk about feeling ashamed of her and needing to save face is definitely hurtful, especially to someone as fragile as Joyce. She's too eager to please others. She's shy and has been brought up to be conservative about her body, but all of her experiences indicate that being revealing is the only way to go.

All the guys from marketing, and Savio (can't be saved), were practically drooling over the results from the photoshoot. Nothing else to say about them, but: those horny bastards.

Wow at the extent Dominic and his mother are willing to go for a baby. To them, Michelle is merely a baby-making machine and not a human being (well, his mom probably always thought that). On a brighter note, Gordon should just move in and be a live-in cook XDDD he's so damn sweet and useful. Who cares if rumours start? A fabulous cook and a handyman. Like him already!

#22 Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Episode 15 was definitely a turning point for Maggie; a U-turn from the dark road. :D And it looks like the relationship between Maggie/Joyce/Michelle will be salvaged and they'll be back to the same dynamics as the beginning of the show. Really enjoyed how Maggie's actions and thoughts progressed so far. And her weaknesses are realistic as well; good job to the writers for once!

Poor Joyce; her parents are trying to protect her and don't want her to see that being sexy is the only way to succeed but the way they came across was not the best way. But again, it's real as how to how most Chinese parents before Generation X are like with 'saving face' and so on. Her bailing Maggie out at the end was an interesting twist; I did not see that coming at all. I'm not sure if I'm exactly happy with how it turned out, with Maggie not having to take responsibility of her actions... but we'll see how that plays out.

Maggie refused Michelle and Joyce's help in the beginning due to pride; but from that scene onwards, one can see that they're definitely building up to mending their relationship as Michelle and Joyce are shown to be concerned towards Maggie's situation with LAFA. Maggie's actions with the Vikki and Purple Queen scenario was short-sighted; she'd failed to see that using tactics like that will end up with adverse consequences. Yes, it may benefit Vikki at first, and cause negative effects towards Purple Queen (and more accurately, to Elena whom Maggie now has a grudge against) but then, the PDSD headquarters are not going to tolerate sabotaging amongst internal brands which is why they sent people to investigate the situation resulting in Michelle being caught in the situation which was immensely stressful. But Joyce/Michelle are nice; brings a lot of harmony and sisterly love in such a harsh and tension-filled environment. :)

Gordon was hilariously sweet. LOL. The part where Michelle was about to open the cup noodles and he yelled at her from through the fence... Posted Image Her expression was of utter confusion; until later on that he was nagging her about eating proper meals. Their interactions are adorable; I am looking forward to future scenes between them and how they're going to actually end up together. At the moment, Gordon's so concerned and caring towards Michelle through his harsh words and manners. An unlikely pairing, but a really cute one at that. ^_^ It's wonderful that he's there to support Michelle through the times; she seems the type to neglect herself, lol.

With the most recent development with Dominic and his mother; I'm even more curious now as to what spurs the mother-in-law to take Michelle's side in the custody battle as it seems quite unlikely. Currently, the both of them have intentions to take the baby; plotting and scheming... what finally causes the mother-in-law to abandon that? After all, she was the one going on and on about continuing the family name at the beginning of the series. Interesting...

Looking forward to next week, of course! Posted Image (But it's the last week already. Posted Image)

View PostArtificialSweetener, on 14 August 2010 - 07:08 AM, said:

All the guys from marketing, and Savio (can't be saved), were practically drooling over the results from the photoshoot. Nothing else to say about them, but: those horny bastards.

Regardless of his efficiency, he's such an idiot that it makes me laugh. XD

And the scene where Michelle collapses and is taken to the hospital with Elena and Savio waiting outside... and he's jumping, trying to see if he can glimpse what's going on and worrying ... ROFL. Posted Image

Edited by Caramelapples, 14 August 2010 - 01:30 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users