AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Why do you still watch TVB series?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 Mythical50

Mythical50

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:11 PM

It's been a while since I watched a TVB series with work and studies but since I'm on a year end break this week, I found some time to watch some "hit" TVB series like Rosy Business which I'm currently watching. Even though it won the Drama Series of the Year a few years back, to tell you the truth, it's not really impressive. It's hugely overrated as it has the same cliche storylines and over acting by its actors. It reminds me a lot of Heart of Greed except that it's set in the older times.

In thinking of this about Rosy Business I began to wonder why I even bother. Why do I even put in time to watch the whole series when the storyline is so predictable. I thought about this for a while and the only conclusion is I continue to watch TVB, albeit sparingly, is that I want to keep up on my Cantonese. I don't speak it much except to my parents so watching drama series is the only way for me to hear it on a consistent basis. I know it sounds corny but that is literally my only reason since the quality of TVB series has been well acknowledged by many (including this forum) to be gone down dramatically since the height of the 80s.

How about you guys?

#2 skYmaster

skYmaster

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

Well, I myself grew up watching TVB series with my family and alone. It has become like a part of my life. To tell you the truth, I learned a lot useful things for life through TVB series, especially the series with family as the core that I would not get with western(I live in Germany) entertainment things. That´s one reason and another one is that I also want to improve my language through them. Moreover, I want to see my favourite actors/ actresses acting and it is pretty interesting to see their development throughout the years.

#3 Krimzon

Krimzon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

I watched TVB series when I was little. It help me learn and keep up about the culture and lifestyle of China. I rarely see that culture and lifestyle in its entire because most people have adapted to American culture. I also continue to watch it because it is different than shows in America and British series. TVB shows are predictable but I still watch it anyway. I only watch the series that I think will be good, at least by watching the trailer or reading the synopsis. Some shows are really good and others are really hard to watch.

#4 smartymh

smartymh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

I learn cantonese from TVB drama :)
Plus, there are lots of pretty actresses.

#5 Akazukin

Akazukin

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4021 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

1. I like familiar casts, as long as they act well.
2. TVB series still has better pacing and the standard is still more guaranteed than dramas from other countries, like Korea and Taiwan, which can be better than TVB but can also be very draggy to unbearable extent.
3. TVB series cover more aspects in life, such as work and family, rather than idol dramas.

#6 crazylazy

crazylazy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

TVB is family. I grow up watching it, and I'll still continue to watch them.

Actors/Actresses grow on a person; and given TVB's limited personnel, I've grown accustomed to all of them to continue supporting them.

#7 adelinetvb

adelinetvb

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

Main reason is i think some of the dramas reflect on the reality and i grew up watching mainland/tvb dramas...but i admit that from day to day i am sick of tvb.....repetitive plot and unsuitable actors that they chose for the dramas...i started to loathe at it...sorry ^^disappointed....but all along i watch korrean drama since i am 10...now more obsessed and like korean drama than tvb..old tvb dramas in the 90's/early 2000 taught me the moral values but now..the other way round...perhaps one day i ll completely stop watching tvb dramas..

#8 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

I grew up watching TVB and if you count my parents watching it too, collectively, we started watching TVB since it started in the 1960s (20+ years for me, 40 years including my parents and family). I'm sure most people have seen my posts (more like rants) about TVB and how their series have declined to the point that they're no longer worth watching, etc. etc., so I won't rehash all of that again.

I have actually been asked the question of why I continue to watch TVB series given my obvious disgust for what the company has become. Well, here are the main reasons:

1) I do not watch their series and variety shows as "religiously" as I used to (I actually haven't for at least 7-8 years)....I only watch certain series where I like the cast and / or the storyline. There are also certain ones I watch just to support the cast (or certain members of the cast) because the series may have artists that I like.

2) Most of the series that I do watch (and re-watch) are older series from like prior to 2003 and mostly those from the 80s and 90s. If I watch a current series, it's usually because of reason #1 (I like the cast / storyline) or because I want to be able to discuss it with friends or write about it in my blog. Or I may watch certain "hyped" ones so I can see whether it truly lives up to the hype and if it doesn't, then disprove it.

3) Since I have TVB's satellite channel in the U.S., there are series broadcast almost throughout the day -- so if the series happens to come on TV, I may watch it while I'm doing other things, but if the series sucks, then I don't continue...I just watch a few episodes and that's it (because I'm not going to waste my time sitting through a series that sucks unless I have a specific reason to -- which is rare).

#9 AngelAngel

AngelAngel

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1881 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

Well my mother downloads them so I will just watch it, besides I'm bored of shows from all over the world (which is just US and Japanese and Korean lol).\I have a few British shows I'm getting into but they're so short! Like six episodes for a season! So what else am I suppose to watch? WHAT ELSE?!?!?

And I guess it's cause I'm Cantonese and I feel kinda like a support it. Like the way people will say "the shows from this country is vastly superior" but not really so I get adverse effect with other shows as well. It's not that bad anyways, my channel shows reruns of old dramas and some are just ridiculous so it's not all old equals automatically means good and for this (last?) year I really, really liked Beauty of the Pain and Fly With Me, too bad no one paid attention to it.

Edited by AngelAngel, 19 January 2011 - 12:57 AM.

#10 raidus

raidus

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

Because i don't watch american dramas (I know it's embarrassing :unsure: ). I've always been glued to TVB since the beginning of my childhood.

Recently, I was kinda shocked to see the singers from The Voice take on a huge role in their first drama. Come on TVB, what the f*ck were you guys thinking? Can't you give them smaller roles first? The twins from Home Trooper are impressive in their acting. That new singer from Show me the Happy is utterly a joke! No offense but he can't sing, and better off acting as the bad guys. He'll be much popular if he was in that category.

Why am I watching some of these new dramas :blink: because there's nothing good to watch apart from FOOD SHOWS :iloveyou: They get better and better.

By the way, if you have watched A Great Way to Care, I advise you to watch it now! Bloody epic action horror drama.

Edited by raidus, 19 January 2011 - 02:22 AM.

#11 tvbx

tvbx

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

i watch because they are entertaining

#12 strawberry shortcake

strawberry shortcake

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:05 AM

To be honest I kind of started out as an ATV person but because ATV has kind of disappeared in the last 5 years (or more), I've kind of switched over to TVB. I watch it because I'm Cantonese so you can say I support the language and because I understand it. Also, I haven't like anything English (American you can say) since... Friends? Generally I think it's because I'm a Hong Kong supporter so I continue to watch though there has been a sharp decline in quality which makes me upset and disappointed.

I still hope for the good old days to re-surface, especially when ATV was still in the (main) picture.

#13 Guest_Dark_Horse_*

Guest_Dark_Horse_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:46 AM

Sometimes, but not much as I still hope the next series will be better than the one I've just watched.

#14 Azentia

Azentia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1108 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

three things as to why i still watch their dramas: like many others, i have an artist that i like, mine being Tavia Yeung. second, TVB can still produce light hearted and fast paced dramas. three, familiarness, including the regulars. their dramas are what i grew up watching so in a sense, its what i'm used to. i will abandon watching TVB if they lose the qualities that essentially made them a household favorite for many.

i want to continue watching them so i hope TVB do the right things to enourage and motivate the current talent they have onboard(scriptwriters, production crew, artists that can act.) but i know as an entertainment company, they also need to create stars that have wide appeal, reality is production values aside, viewers associate faces before they watch TVB's drama, now there's not many famous faces so lack of interest. TVB can groom and scout better future starlets, aside from retaining the more experienced ones they have, if they want to promote newer actresses, they should really consider the following artists in the future(judged on marketable ability, not acting as the first three are still fairly new) : Aimee Chan, Christine Kuo, Oceane Zhu, Angel Chiang, Charmaine Li(kind of a dark horse but she stood out in Silver Chambers) TVB should groom their performing potential, because they have that quality to be idols to a wide audience.

Edited by Azentia, 24 March 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#15 tamaya

tamaya

Asian Fanatic

• AF supporter
  • 4981 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

I watch tvb series for Steven Ma; he is why I first got interested in tvb and its series. To me the recent highly rated series are mostly a miss than a hit for me, so for sure if and when Steven leaves tvb I will stop watching tvb series.

#16 Krubs

Krubs

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

i grew up watching tvb! i can't just 'abandon' them but of course, i do watch korean, jap, taiwanese dramas as well :)

#17 lingling88

lingling88

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

Main reason is the cast. I have a tendency to watch the dramas if certain actor/actress are cast in the drama.

Another reason (and is more applicable for dramas which have series) is whether it's worth following. If series 1 is good, I have a tendency to follow through for the next series.

Lastly, I watch them to learn Cantonese.

#18 miss scarlett

miss scarlett

chinked-out

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2404 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:00 AM

I still watch TVB because I blindly believe that they still come up with potentially good dramas, so I'd watch anything that draws my interest lol

#19 JazngBieberTVB

JazngBieberTVB

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:33 AM

Cause I grow up watching them and of course my idols are from TVB.
And I only watch TVB, that's all!
Plus I learn canto from them. ^_^

Edited by Jaz Ng, 22 May 2011 - 04:35 AM.

#20 devil_racer

devil_racer

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well I have this attachment towards
TVB series as I have been growing up watching
them.

Though it do seemed that they are
deteriorating in terms of quality,but tthere are still
a handful of worthy and good TVB series to look out for too~!
Alongside that,being able to watch my fav actors and actresses
and talk about their progress in acting.

Edited by devil_racer, 22 May 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#21 dreyz

dreyz

♥ 理想有代價 ♥

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Cos the dramas produced are at least 100 times better than what is showing on my local TV, and their actors & actresses look better!

#22 hkenso

hkenso

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

reminds me of the good time when i was a kid in HK having dinner w/ family and watch TVB @ the same time around the table...

plus, HK drama's way more interesting than what we normally see on tv here in the u.s.

#23 Zoey Lam

Zoey Lam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

Because i like to hear Cantonese.

Edited by ♥ daydreamgirl, 25 September 2011 - 02:18 PM.
double post

#24 HK Music Notebook

HK Music Notebook

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Because I grew up watching TVB. Just like how I still listen to Hong Kong music when everyone else is turning to Kpop. I also continue to because I like hearing them speak Cantonese. :)

#25 Michelle:)

Michelle:)

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

Whyyy do I watch TVB dramas? Only because I've grown up watching them all my life; it helped me learn and understand Cantonese...without it, my Cantonese would be horrible! Oh and they're also enjoyable to watch as well :thumbsup

#26 spech

spech

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:21 AM

To be honest, I stopped watching for almost a year (went to the Korean ones), but recently came back to TVB dramas because I had heard some good things about No Regrets and Gun Metal Grey. I really enjoyed both series and it was nice to get back to my "roots".

#27 woaini1314

woaini1314

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

I only watch TVB because it's in cantonese. I don't watch every series only the ones which have a good storylines and good actors or actresses. However in the last years the quality of the dramas have dropped. NOt only the story is bad and unfunny but the main problem are the actors. TVB only promotes certain people who don't always have the best acting and watching them makes me want to turn off my TV. I really hate their favoring system and hope that they finally start to promote people who are really talented. Besides Hong Kong needs another channel competing with TVB. Having no competition they don't see the need to improve.

#28 KevoPiggy

KevoPiggy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

I watched tvb when i was little with my family. So i guess is kinda like a daily thing. Been with tvb since they came out with tapes which nowadays everyone uses CD'S or online to watch them

#29 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

I watched tvb when i was little with my family. So i guess is kinda like a daily thing. Been with tvb since they came out with tapes which nowadays everyone uses CD'S or online to watch them

Haha...same here! I'm probably one of the few people who still have video tapes of old TVB series and variety shows (like from the 70s, 80s, and 90s)....

#30 livia208

livia208

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

I actually agree with u how u said the series Rosy Business " it's not really impressive." I too watched it after it won the tvb best series awards and man i was disappointed. actually thinking back now... even though Rosy Business wasn't really a good series, all the other series aired the same year wasn't that great either and probably even worst.. so its like picking the best out of the worst ? idk

thinking back to your question why do you still watch tvb series ... will for one is cause i have fav. stars i like and i like to keep supporting them by watching all their series. 2. i have watch tvb series ever since i was small . it aired on tv.. my mom would rent tapes. slowly when i found out i could watch online i just kinda got crazy addicted to a point i watch all the series aired in that year... and also its kinda thanks to watching tvb series that my cantoness is this good . and my reading and writing skill haven't faded cause of tvb series .... another reason is cause i dont like reading sub tittles and cantoness i understandful so i watch it more. other series for example koren series i would need eng sub and i get lazy reading it.the words go by to fast some times and late at night when i watch i am tired just wanna listen dont wanna read the words ..
.. lastly i think it just cause im a boreding so called in chinese mo liu person. even when the storyline is so predictable. i like to watch it to kill time. watch tvb series or other asian series has become my hobby .. which is a bad thing cause people say i am addicted . i dont work hard , study hard, i am lazy and all day all i do is sit in front on computer watch series . and what people say it true.. thats all i do at home if i dont go out

Edited by livia208, 25 September 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#31 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Grew up watching it, so it became a habit or a tradition :P Yes the series sucks nowadays but I haven't got anything better to watch :loool: I have skipped loads this year and only pick ones that have my fav artistes or the ones that sounds interesting :harhar

#32 jerebtvb

jerebtvb

Forum Obssesser

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10123 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

I think I have lost all hope in Hong Kong and Chinese entertainment. Especially TVB.
Look at TVB's television dramas and Cantopop, and compare it to KPOP.
KPop has amazing, talented girl groups like Girls' Generation, 2NE1 and Kara, as well as boybands like SHINee and B2ST. Kpop is also becoming global, with an increasing number of non-Asian fans. This comes down to the high quality of Korean music and music videos as well as the beauty of the idols and how they are trained for years before debut unlike Chinese singers. Korean music is a lot higher quality than Hong Kong dramas and music, and I completely love Girls' Generation. Has anyone heard that Girls' Generation is going to debut in the US soon with their new album "The Boys" produced by Michael Jackson's very own producer Teddy Riley?
Even world-class musicians and music producers praise the level of talent and quality in Kpop.
But look at TVB. TVB is already very local, with fans mainly just Hong Kong fans, and a small percentage of Chinese, Taiwanese, Singaporean, Malaysian and Vietnamese fans. However, it still has the potential to shrink in its local popularity.
Compare this to Kpop. Korean music is now going global. Look at the high quality fashion and styles of the stars even. Even the way they look is extremely managed.
TVB is a fail.

I should think you should not copy your comments in three topics simultaneously...And believe me, you are not in a heart way to be a forum user. :thumbdown

#33 jadul80

jadul80

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

I should think you should not copy your comments in three topics simultaneously...And believe me, you are not in a heart way to be a forum user. :thumbdown

Indeed, hat-trick to post same comment in HKG entertainment :shock
Better to ignore it, super duper KOR die-hard fans :harhar

#34 TVB_TaRo

TVB_TaRo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

Lately TVB series really had went down hill. It always have the same storyline and stuff and it wasn't as great as TVB use to be anymore. I would get annoy with it and such. I really enjoy watching Korean Dramas and they are much better than TVB. Korean drama produce more romance and TVB produce more family. American shows are more detailed and more about the plot of the story. TVB dramas are a great way to sit around the TV and watch with your family. Its such a great family bonding moment.

Yes I enjoy Korean drama more and haven't been watching any TVB. But no matter what I always find myself back to TVB. Because I grew up watching TVB. And TVB is like a family to me; TVB has a place in my heart and it will always be there. Even though TVB hasn't doing well. I always believe that TVB will shine again xP

Basically TVB is my childhood and without TVB my Chinese will be really really poor. My Chinese is already really bad..can't read nor write and can't even understand phases. But watching TVB help me understand more and I actually have been learning and improving my Cantonese. Although those really strong phases I still don't understand. I can actually read couple of the characters now =)

Oh and you can actually learn some life lessons ;) Lol

Edited by TVB_TaRo, 12 December 2011 - 06:47 AM.

#35 Caramelapples

Caramelapples

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

I actually think series of lower ratings are better than the highly hyped series with very high ratings. They have better storylines, I feel, and the actors are usually better. It's a pity though, because I think they deserve more viewers. Hence, I don't watch many current TVB series anymore, and if I do watch a TVB series, it's usually an older production, eg. Reaching Out (which I just finished rewatching), from the early 2000s, or the 80s/90s.

The only reason I would watch a new series from TVB would have to be the cast. If there's somebody I like in there, then there's a high chance I'd watch it.

#36 Guest_Mikuo_*

Guest_Mikuo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

I don't. Kpop is way better. YoonA is so beautiful.

ur in the wrong 'section if that's what you said.

#37 jerebtvb

jerebtvb

Forum Obssesser

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10123 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

I don't. Kpop is way better. YoonA is so beautiful.

You should learn some respects and be courteous. No comparison and it's out of scope. Please discuss in Korean section rather than here!!! :thumbdown

#38 ArtificialSweetener

ArtificialSweetener

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

You should learn some respects and be courteous. No comparison and it's out of scope. Please discuss in Korean section rather than here!!! :thumbdown

:thumbsup
Spoiler

As a kid, I would have watched anything that my family watched (kind of unavoidable), but nowadays I tend to watch for the cast first, plot second. Preferrably, both aspects of a series would be balanced, but that hardly ever happens with TVB anymore. I've pretty much stopped trying to watch a bit of everything to look for a good plot after 2008 and I died a little inside when trying to watch the crap that was put out last year. Grace Under Fire appeared to have a good plot at the beginning, but as it wore on the story grew progressively worse, and there was hardly anybody in that cast that could have kept me watching to the finale. I would at least try to continue a bad series if I liked the actors.

#39 sweet-sweet

sweet-sweet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I watched TVB since I was young, I stopped watching TVB when I learned about Korean dramas and taiwanese ones , but now I returned to TVB since they are more realistic

#40 AsianPrideYEAH

AsianPrideYEAH

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I watch TVB dramas because they are relatively fast-paced, even if they have terrible bugs, and bad sets. I usually watch Mainland Dramas, but some of DRAG for so long.