AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Do boys really mature later compared to girls?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 s2Wennie

s2Wennie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Biologically it's obvious that girls mature faster. We hit puberty much earlier than boys and finish growing at an earlier age.
What I am asking is if a female's mentality matures before men does or is it just a social thing.

For instance, girls are expected to be well-mannered and polite at a much earlier age while boys are encouraged to play in the mud and be rowdy (or whatever it is expected to nowadays).
When you think about "gender appropriate behavior" you think of girls nursing dolls, house or having tea parties and what not and then you think of boys fighting, play fighting with action figures and such.
And as boys enter the adolescent years, their mothers are more likely to do the home chores for them (laundry, ironing etc.) whereas females are more expected to know how to do such things.

It's not to say that all guys end up maturing later than girls. I've noticed that older brothers end up being more mature than younger brothers at the same age. I'm not sure if it follows true for females since it seems like a social expectation for any female to mature at a faster rate.

So what I am pondering about is that females don't literally mature faster than males but it happens due to social expectations and other external factors e.g not having a father/mother

#2 Grayson

Grayson

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

Biologically it's obvious that girls mature faster. We hit puberty much earlier than boys and finish growing at an earlier age.
What I am asking is if a female's mentality matures before men does or is it just a social thing.

For instance, girls are expected to be well-mannered and polite at a much earlier age while boys are encouraged to play in the mud and be rowdy (or whatever it is expected to nowadays).
When you think about "gender appropriate behavior" you think of girls nursing dolls, house or having tea parties and what not and then you think of boys fighting, play fighting with action figures and such.
And as boys enter the adolescent years, their mothers are more likely to do the home chores for them (laundry, ironing etc.) whereas females are more expected to know how to do such things.

It's not to say that all guys end up maturing later than girls. I've noticed that older brothers end up being more mature than younger brothers at the same age. I'm not sure if it follows true for females since it seems like a social expectation for any female to mature at a faster rate.

So what I am pondering about is that females don't literally mature faster than males but it happens due to social expectations and other external factors e.g not having a father/mother

A BIG FAT YES! Girls do mature faster than boy, and it has nothing to do with "gender appropriate behavior" dude where are you from Asia? I have no brothers, but I do have nephews and they are all treated the same basically, they have to do chores just like the girls and no pandering or waiting on hands or knees, they have to pull their own weight along side their sisters, that is the way their parents has raised them. They do not want stunt their growth by them being MOMMA"S BOYS! Their parents want them to be well rounded young men, entering out in the world they can fend for themselves in whatever situation. Mothers prevent sons from maturing, by hovering and not instilling the thing they should do to develop, it takes a lot longer. " A young girl of 16-17 can function as an adult, a boy of the same age cannot."

I do not know how to do such things, not saying my parents did not teach me its just that, there are other who can do it better.
Second part to your question. Not having parent around only propell someone to grow up much faster, because he/she has to defend for themselves, lean about society and its social structure.

#3 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

<br />

Mothers prevent sons from maturing, by hovering and not instilling the thing they should do to develop, it takes a lot longer.  

and that would be ... because if it means being a b*tch, that's not a good thing. I know moms can be strict, and they often want what they think is "best" for their kids, but in my experience, and from what I've heard from some other people ... they're not always right, and not always good at it. It depends how you try to raise your kids ... and if a woman wasn't raised properly herself, then it affects how she would raise her kids. That's what I think of my mom ... compared to so many other mothers I've heard of. Not saying they're all perfect, I don't think so, but at least show some love and compassion for your sons and daughters when you should.

Unlike some, who are way too strict or mean all the time ... and that's why some sons or daughters rebel. You have to be fair and even lenient at times, and not just try to control all the time, or they resent you. Some moms have been very loving, and that's why their sons and daughters love them back so much. Not saying you have to spoil your kids, but don't be too cold and strict. Even if you spoil them once in a while, they would love it. I was never spoiled, and in a way, it helped me to "grow up better", but the lack of feeling any love in it has REALLY SUCKED, in my experience. In a way, it's made me stronger, tougher and more independant ... but it lacks warmth and compassion. I'm really just a result of how people have treated me all my life

Fortunately, I matured more on my own, many of the skills and values I've learned without my mom doing so ... from my experiences with other people, doing things on my own and reflecting. Unlike her, who a bit too often shows (me) no common sense at times, when I want to do something, at least half or more the time I figure it on my own, or at least try to. Sometimes I learn from people, and sometimes I don't need to. If I need help, I would ask for it. I DON'T need someone who puts their 2 cents into EVERY DAMN LITTLE THING I DO

If you teach someone something, you don't neccessarily have to treat them like a child ... and that's what she does, and I DON'T like it. When I say like a child, I mean in an insulting manner ... and I don't like that

You know those parents who yell at their kids everytime they "make a mistake" (or so she feels)? that's not always right. My mom simply doesn't know or want to be nice. It's just the way she is and I think she's a cold person. She might "mean well" but I don't like how she does it. I resent her for it

Do parents out there really want their sons and daughters to hate them for it? I don't think so ... so listen to what I say

I grew up in this day and age, up to modern times, and she didn't. Parents need to understand that ... your sons and daughters are growing up in an era you didn't, and you have to adapt to how things have changed. Whether it's knowing how to use a computer, about media, youth culture, what's in the news, etc. If you want to even begin to understand them, you have to keep with all this. Not just us, but the world around you

<br />

A young girl of 16-17 can function as an adult, a boy of the same age cannot.

some girls are more mature, and some are not. As an example, my older sister might be successful with her career, but outside it, I think she's a bit immature.

<br />

<br /><br />I do not know how to do such things, not saying my parents did not teach me its just that, there are other who can do it better. <br />Second part to your question. Not having parent around only propell someone to grow up much faster, because he/she has to defend for themselves, lean about society and its social structure.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

in a way, true. hey, I didn't have to depend too much on my parents to grow up ... to know all I know, and do or have the confidence to do, whatever I do, whether I'm new to it or experienced

I thought to myself I want greater things in life, to live a more successful and enjoyable life than they did, and that there's much more to the world than they ever experienced
  • Grayson and jandari like this

#4 s2Wennie

s2Wennie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Girls do mature faster than boy

So what exactly makes a female brain mature faster than a male's brain?

#5 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Generally... girls do mature more faster than boys but that is not absolute. There are some boys that mature pretty early too. The reason why girls generally mature faster than boys is because of their social environment. Girls tend to take on responsibilities at an early age while also engaging in alot dialogue with their peers. Boys on the other hand are still engaged in a more physical interaction such as sports and games on a competitive level which limits the amount of development in social skills. So its not exactly genetically fixed that girls mature faster than boys, its more from how the social environment around them influences on the way they behave.

Edited by SomeAsianDude, 13 January 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#6 behappyman 2.0

behappyman 2.0

Asian Fanatic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1766 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

some girls are more mature, and some are not. As an example, my older sister might be successful with her career, but outside it, I think she's a bit immature.

This is very true, and this is very much my belief. I've learned that women are very good at settling down, building their careers, settling into a home, doing all their chores, settling with a partner, having and raising kids etc. All the stuff they need to do to survive, women are good at it, and generally probably, not definitely better at all of this than men. That's because it's expected of them, in a way, as the OP mentioned. But outside of this, I NEVER see in evidence of their general behaviour socially, that women mature faster or are more mature than men. So socially no, and mentally and emotionally, no.

I just see men seeming to act more personable and mature, in all areas of social, professional, and societal life, than women. There's a theory that women are driven more by the ego - "myself, possibly also my family and NOT the outside". But men are driven by the super-ego - "myself, the community, my family, my business, my friends, you name it". That's a super-ego - "I am my community, my business, my family and my friends, not just myself".

So in terms of settling down and maturing in their life, their home, their relationship, their motherhood, their family and career, women mature faster as they are expected to. But in terms of maturing in general behaviour in society and socially, men seem to mature faster than women. So taking all of this into account, I believe that women and men mature at the same rate B).

#7 ★cinnamon_coffee

★cinnamon_coffee

我相信

• Forum Seniors
  • 1406 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

their mothers are more likely to do the home chores for them (laundry, ironing etc.) whereas females are more expected to know how to do such things.

Exactly but I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy going on here - females always complain that they have to do all the chores while their husbands lazy around but whose fault is it, huh?!! Weren't their mothers treating them as if they were made of glass and ordering their daughters around instead?? :noclue So they complain on the situation but they raise up the same kind of men later on and their female partners will complain about them in the future, too. That way the cycle just doesn't seem to stop.
But something is changing since I can see more and more men on a walk or shopping with their children instead of women these days, as well as more boys who are like 5 but they already are sent by parents to do the shopping alone and that's how it should be, children should be taught to do the chores equally as early as possible.

#8 Shun Takashi

Shun Takashi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

^ if you dont want for your partner to complain then just do the chores and be a good girl.

#9 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

This is very true, and this is very much my belief. I've learned that women are very good at settling down, building their careers, settling into a home, doing all their chores, settling with a partner, having and raising kids etc. All the stuff they need to do to survive, women are good at it, and generally probably, not definitely better at all of this than men. That's because it's expected of them, in a way, as the OP mentioned. But outside of this, I NEVER see in evidence of their general behaviour socially, that women mature faster or are more mature than men. So socially no, and mentally and emotionally, no.

I just see men seeming to act more personable and mature, in all areas of social, professional, and societal life, than women. There's a theory that women are driven more by the ego - "myself, possibly also my family and NOT the outside". But men are driven by the super-ego - "myself, the community, my family, my business, my friends, you name it". That's a super-ego - "I am my community, my business, my family and my friends, not just myself".

So in terms of settling down and maturing in their life, their home, their relationship, their motherhood, their family and career, women mature faster as they are expected to. But in terms of maturing in general behaviour in society and socially, men seem to mature faster than women. So taking all of this into account, I believe that women and men mature at the same rate B).

actually, I guess she's quite social. it's just that when she comes here to visit now and then, she seems a little immature (at least to me). she doesn't even say hi (to me) when she comes here, nor do I expect her to, because we never got along as kids. So we just try to avoid each other about what you said ... over here, I'm not exactly sure how true it is, but maybe over there, there might be some truth to it. over time, I find myself taking a bit more interest in business and community

But something is changing since I can see more and more men on a walk or shopping with their children instead of women these days, as well as more boys who are like 5 but they already are sent by parents to do the shopping alone and that's how it should be, children should be taught to do the chores equally as early as possible.

at 5 years old??? are you serious??? sometimes I see men with their kids out there, like when they shop. I know about one person who has her daughter, about 7 or 8 years old, doing "all the chores". she has no son, not that I know of

#10 hello melody/kitty

hello melody/kitty

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

Yes I do think so, people always thought my older brother was always younger than me, I don't know whether to take that as a good point or not!!! Boys likes to be playful as always and takes up responsiblities later, girls are more aware of surrondings and know how to take things as it comes along.

#11 behappyman 2.0

behappyman 2.0

Asian Fanatic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1766 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Yes I do think so, people always thought my older brother was always younger than me, I don't know whether to take that as a good point or not!!! Boys likes to be playful as always and takes up responsiblities later, girls are more aware of surrondings and know how to take things as it comes along.

Girls also get their way quicker than guys. Men only know so much about women and women only know so much about men. Both have their immature points and mature points. A girl screaming at the top of her lungs, drunk OUT OF HER FACE, arguing with guys and what not, at 2.00am at night, with a dress the LENGTH OF A BELT, outside of nightclubs, isn't mature, it's record-breaking immature. Women getting pregnant at 17 with 5 different baby-fathers isn't mature, it's immature like a 3 year old. But I see how some men and women develop and settle down and succeed quick also. That's why I think men and women mature at the same rate.

#12 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

Just remembering back to school, males tend to mature slower then females. Some guys mature faster then girls but girls still mature at a faster rate.

#13 ★cinnamon_coffee

★cinnamon_coffee

我相信

• Forum Seniors
  • 1406 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

at 5 years old??? are you serious??? sometimes I see men with their kids out there, like when they shop. I know about one person who has her daughter, about 7 or 8 years old, doing "all the chores". she has no son, not that I know of

Yeah, I often see some little kids in the district round-the-corner shops with a piece of paper on which they have the list of things to buy, running around searching for them with a basket, lol. But it's ok cause the kids are taught that they also have to do the house chores and be the part of family life and it instills the sense of responsibility in them, I think.

^ if you dont want for your partner to complain then just do the chores and be a good girl.

:lmao::whistle

Edited by ★cinnamon_coffee, 20 January 2011 - 10:20 AM.

#14 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

girls awake at like 3 a.m or after talking on the phone with their bfs is not mature

#15 redding

redding

whats wrong? CONFUSED?!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

i think both genders have their own way of maturing like girls form of maturing is to not act stupid and whatever, sit still, portray good manners, that sort of thing.

#16 jandari

jandari

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

That's a myth. They mature slower in young childhood, as far as development ... up until puberty or so, and then it evens out. Emotional maturity is really more individual than it is divided by sex. People's different personalities, experiences and life circumstances make their emotional maturity even more so than age or sex.
Here's an article on ABC's 20/20 by Elizabeth Vargas... :blink:

The Truth Behind Women's Brains
20/20's Elizabeth Vargas Looks at the Chemical Changes That Occur Through Life That Change How Men and Women Think

Girls' Brains More Advanced at Puberty
To further illustrate how a teen's changing brain chemistry often molds their behavior, Dr. Brizendine invited ABC's 20/20 to listen as she spoke to students at the Marin School outside San Francisco. Girls, she explained, mature faster than boys, and girls' brains are as much as two years ahead during puberty.

In fact, neuro-imaging shows that, early on, the typical teen girl has a stronger connection between the areas of the brain that control impulse -- the amygdala -- and judgment -- the prefrontal cortex.

It may not be until late adolescence or their early 20s that boys' brains catch up to their girl peers.

"To know that they're smarter than us by two years -- it's a gap, it really is," said John Bessolo, one of the students in Dr. Brizendine's high school group. "They are the superior beings of the brain."

But when it comes to sex, boys take the lead -- or least their brains do.
Dr. Brizendine explains that the male amygdala, which also controls sexual thought, is twice as large as that of females. Fueled by testosterone, it triggers the typical teenage male brain to think about sex every 52 seconds, compared to a few times a day for teen girls.

"When I hang out with my guy friends, it's really odd to think that every, like, whatever seconds, they're thinking about sex," said high school student Sara Johnson. "And that you can't stop them from thinking about that."

Are Girls Really More Emotional?
When it comes to emotions, Dr. Brizedine says girls have their own area that's twice as large as boys' -- the hippocampus, which is the seat of emotional memory. The female brain uses many centers in both hemispheres that activate in response to faces, voices and expressions. Men, however, use only one side of their brain.

Dr. Brizendine asked the teens to come up with questions they always wanted to ask the opposite sex. Teen girls, she explained, physically receive pleasure through the simple act of gossiping.

John posed the first question to the girls: "Why do you go to the bathroom in groups?"

"Girls are close to each other, and we like to do things together," responded Kelly Ericson, another member of the class. "It's more, 'I have to go pee. Oh, you have to go pee too? Let's go together.'"

Dr. Brizendine had a scientific explanation for this increased camaraderie in girls.

"Actually, there is a hormone that gets released when girls are, sort of more intimate with each other -- in terms of talking and fixing each other's hair and doing stuff. That's called oxytocin. It's a hormone that's released in the brain that's kind of a "feel good" hormone."

The hormone oxytocin gives a surge of pleasure, the same rush a drug addict gets from taking cocaine or heroin.

Science: Feeling the Gender Gap Firsthand
The Science of the Battle of the Sexes
20/20 News

Edited by alexann, 25 January 2011 - 05:16 PM.

• behappyman 2.0 and ★cinnamon_coffee like this

#17 ★cinnamon_coffee

★cinnamon_coffee

我相信

• Forum Seniors
  • 1406 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

Dr. Brizendine explains that the male amygdala, which also controls sexual thought, is twice as large as that of females. Fueled by testosterone, it triggers the typical teenage male brain to think about sex every 52 seconds, compared to a few times a day for teen girls.

LOL, what a difference! :loool:
But yeah, teenage girls cause the older ones think a whole lot more often about it :athlon

Anyways, thanks for that article, very interesting one~!

#18 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

<br />That's a myth. They mature slower in young childhood, as far as development ... up until puberty or so, and then it evens out. <b>Emotional maturity is really more individual than it is divided by sex</b>. <i>People's different personalities, experiences and life circumstances make their emotional maturity even more so than age or sex.</i><br />

I agree

<br />

Dr. Brizendine explains that the male amygdala, which also controls sexual thought, is twice as large as that of females. Fueled by testosterone, it triggers the typical teenage male brain to think about sex every 52 seconds, compared to a few times a day for teen girls. <br /><br />

b*llsh*t. We don't think about sex every 52 seconds or minute, whatever

I'm tired of females thinking we think about sex that much, and all the horny guys who imply this idea. it's all a stereotype

yeah I get horny sometimes but I don't think of sex like every minute. YES, it's possible for guys to go for hours, days, or longer without thinking about sex. In most cases, it all depends what you're doing and what's around you. The activities, lifestyle and people.
If it's non sexual, likely not

it's like saying all guys cheat on their girl. that's not true

Teen girls, she explained, physically receive pleasure through the simple act of gossiping.

how??? maybe "excited" but physically pleasured??? weird. Someone give a SENSIBLE answer

Edited by Goldencarp, 25 January 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#19 behappyman 2.0

behappyman 2.0

Asian Fanatic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1766 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I agree

<br />

b*llsh*t. We don't think about sex every 52 seconds or minute, whatever

I'm tired of females thinking we think about sex that much, and all the horny guys who imply this idea. it's all a stereotype

yeah I get horny sometimes but I don't think of sex like every minute. YES, it's possible for guys to go for hours, days, or longer without thinking about sex. In most cases, it all depends what you're doing and what's around you. The activities, lifestyle and people.
If it's non sexual, likely not

it's like saying all guys cheat on their girl. that's not true

how??? maybe "excited" but physically pleasured??? weird. Someone give a SENSIBLE answer

Co-sign B).

#20 manxie

manxie

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:11 AM

kind agree with it. but parents play an important part here.. i see some kids (boys) get mature in thinking earlier then girls too. it really depend on how they are being nurture

#21 peaceprince

peaceprince

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

Ususally, yes, but I guess my sis is the exception to the rule. She is just as immature as me.
But oh well, maturity is overrated, being mature is much more fun.

But all other girls I know are usually much more mature than me, or other guys with who I hang ou ~

#22 mailam

mailam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yes for sure, girls matures faster than boys overall. Boys will be boys a loong time.

#23 huinee

huinee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

From experiences, I would have to say that yes girls do mature faster than guys.

#24 K.W. Chan

K.W. Chan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

Men tend to be less ambitious early in life compared to their female counterparts.

But when that gap is filled, men and women are equally mature and forward thinking.

#25 deedee1

deedee1

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes they do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users