AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Actual History of Wong Fei Hung

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 jadedreams27

jadedreams27

TVB fanatic #1

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:56 AM

Ok I was just searching over the web and found some info about the Real Wong Fei Hung. I thought it was interesting and thought you guys might like to know.

Copied and pasted some interesting facts from Canadian Hung Kuen Association.

"The real Wong Fei Hung was born in 1850 in Gwan Dong, Lam Hoi province, Sai Chu County, Luk Huern Yan village in China.

He was born into a legendary family (Wong Tai his grandfather and Wong Kay Ying his father).

Young Wong Fei Hung began his training at age five and by the age of thirteen was already a very accomplished martial artist....

Wong Fei Hung is credited with formalizing the Hung style and developing the style's most famous set "Fu Hok Sheung Ying Kuen" Tiger/Crane Fist Set. Wong Fei Hung was also famous for his Tiger Tail Kick and Shadowless Kick. It is believed Wong invented the "Mo Ying Gerk" or Shadowless Kick, but in fact he learnt it from a famous Martial Artist named Song Ton Fai. Master Song wanted to learn Wong's Tid Sin Kuen (Iron Wire Set) so they traded skills.

During Wong's lifetime he had married four times...... later Wong was to marry for the fourth time to Mok Gwai Lan who did outlive him.

In 1924 there was a strike against the government by all the businessess, Canton City fell and Wong's home and herbal shop were burned to the ground. Wong lost everything, all his belongings and money.

After all this Wong took ill and passed away in his home at the age of 83 in 1933. "

***Read the whole thing here:
http://www.fuhok.com...n-to-legend.htm

His personal life

"word had spread that Wong Fei Hung was bad luck to wed and no women wanted any part of him. Even Wong himself resigned himself to stop remarrying.

Later in an unfortunate altercation Wong's son Hawn Sum was shot and killed by gangsters. This caused Wong to withhold his Martial knowledge from his other sons in order to protect them.

Many years later Wong Fei Hung's school was performing a Lion Dance....During Wong's performance he accidentally kicked off his shoe which flew into the crowd. The shoe struck a young woman as she watched the performance. She was very angry despite many attempts by Wong to apologize. The woman's name was Mok Kwai Lin and she was in town with her family for the celebration.
Wong Fei Hung could not get this beautiful young woman off his mind, feeling very bad for injuring her with his shoe. When she left, Wong sought her out wanting to make it up to her. But had no luck finding her......Wong told the aunt of his feelings for Mok Kwai Lin so the aunt brought Mok Kwai Lin to meet with Master Wong. They spent much time together and eventually they wed. Mok Kwai Lin long outlived Wong Fei Hung, dispelling the myth that Wong was the kiss of death to any woman that married him. "

***Read the whole thing about his personal life here:
http://www.fuhok.com...rsonal-life.htm

***another site with his biography:
http://www.sgwutan.c...=article&sid=27

This site said that Wong Fei Hung met Mok Kwai Lin when she was only 16 yrs old in 1903, while he is around 53-56 years old (he was born around 1847-1850 conflicts from those two sites) !

#2 kooltotoro

kooltotoro

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:33 AM

Thanks jadedreams27 for the story of Wong Fei Hung. Wah in actual fact Mok Kwai Lan so much younger than WFH!

#3 sirenDagger

sirenDagger

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:47 AM

thanks for the info. yeah, i also remember reading about mok kwai lan, and that she was a skilled martial artist herself. she specializes in "mok jia quan."

#4 BabiLNC

BabiLNC

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:27 AM

WoW... call me slow.. buh i neva really thought he was a real person. till a good friend of mine informed me.. Thanx for the info.. ima gonna read up more about him..

#5 Lililasoh1

Lililasoh1

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

So now I've learned something about Wong Fei Hung, good good. =) No pics of him?

#6 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:40 AM

very interesting, i've always wondered how real Wong Fei Hung was, i mean i always knew he was real, but he seems like more of a folk hero...an exagerated character.

#7 Philip87

Philip87

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:07 AM

That was very interesting facts, since I've always wondered where he got his Shadowless kick that was so powerful? :)

#8 Cupes

Cupes

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:34 PM

Did you know that Wong Fei Hung stopped teaching his sons martial arts after his eldest son was killed by gangsters. Lam Sai Wing (or the pig butcher guy) actually inherited all the martial arts skills and his adopted nephew Lam Cho is now the grandmaster of the Hung Kuen style of martial arts (he's 94 years old)?

#9 XxMoOmOoxX

XxMoOmOoxX

~_~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

...i never knew dat wong fei hung was an actual person...i dought tvb made him up...lol...because i always so so meni dif versions of his story...interestin...yay...i learned sumthin new 2day :D

#10 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:32 AM

Thanks jadedreams27 for the story of Wong Fei Hung.
haha and i dunt think in history they are that crasie in kung ku..>_<

#11 itssorlui

itssorlui

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:45 AM

wow..interesting topic..but i remember when i was younger watching wong fei hung..there was this lady named aunt 13 (13 yee) .. who is she to him?

#12 psyduck03

psyduck03

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:01 AM

i think 13 aunt was a fictional character that moviemakers added onto the story throughout the years.. but in story, 13 aunt was the "god-sister" of wong fei hong's mom.. so they're not really related by blood but he still calls her 13 aunt as respect..

#13 unkn0wn

unkn0wn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:25 AM

interesting, and all this time i thought he never had any kids nor married.

#14 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:52 AM

thanx for the info... its very interesting... as a kid u grow up watching the wong fei hung movies... and its good to know some real facts about the hero...

#15 lingling888

lingling888

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 06:03 AM

thanks for the information!
its nice to know a bit of info about wong fei hong!
didnt know that mok kwai lan is way younger than wong fei hong!

#16 yoshii

yoshii

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. I initially told Wong Fei Hong is just a legend.

#17 pumpkin

pumpkin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:01 AM

yeah thanks too i never knew any of this stuff cause theres not much info on wong fei hung out there....wow four wives....thats kinda hard to believe cause in the movies they always portray him as so emotionless towards women

#18 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:02 PM

Wow never knew that Wong Fei Hung was an actual guy. I always thought it was a character that was made up for films and series. Thanks for the info on him.

#19 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:45 PM

Interesting that it is said that WFH traded one of his skills for the shadowless kick.

Thanks for the info

#20 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

Wong Fei Hung movies / story have been around for quite some years.
In the past, Internet was not as it is today so history are slow to reach the rest of the people in the world.

#21 tse_yu

tse_yu

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:31 AM

whoa...im slow....ive always thought that wong fei hung was made up... thanks for the info!

#22 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3992 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 10:05 AM

here is more info:
http://en.wikipedia....i/Wong_Fei_Hung

Wong Fei Hung
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Wong Fei Hung (黃飛鴻 huang2 fei1 hong2) (1847 - 1924) was a healer, martial artist and revolutionary who became a Chinese folk hero. He is often described as the "Chinese Robin Hood".

As a healer and medical doctor, he practised and taught acupuncture and other Chinese medicine at his 'Po Chi Lam' (寶芝林) clinic in Guangzhou (Canton city), where he was known for compassion and a policy of treating any patient.

As a martial artist, he helped invent a system/branch of Tiger-Crane form kung fu and "Ten Special Fists" boxing that still is used to this day. Fei Hung is associated with a kung fu move called "No Shadow Kick (佛山無影腳)". He has been mistakenly said to be one of the Ten Tigers of Canton - the top ten kung fu masters in Guangdong (Canton) around the end of the Qing dynasty. In fact, his father Wong Kei Ying was one of the Ten Tigers, and Fei Hung was often called "the Tiger after the 10 Tigers of Canton". It is this nickname which led to the error.

Wong died in Canton a few months after a riot burned his clinic to the ground. His wife and two of his prominent students(林世榮,鄧世瓊) moved to Hong Kong, where they continued teaching Wong's martial art. Wong became a legendary hero, and many Hong Kong movies are based on his story. Both Jackie Chan (in Drunken Master and Drunken Master II, as a trouble-making youth) and Jet Li (as an adult opposed to European influence on China in the Once Upon a Time in China series and in the comic take on Wong Fei-hung in Wong Fei-hung chi tit gai dau neung gung) played Wong Fei Hung.

From the late 1940's into the 1960's, there was a Wong Fei Hung movie series (shown in Hong Kong only) consisting of more than 100 movies. It is claimed to be the longest movie series ever, and Wong Fei Hung to be the most-portrayed character in movie history. The star at that time was Kwan Tak Hing who gained his nickname "Master Wong" through this movie series. The character of Wong Fei Hong also appeared as a child in the movie Iron Monkey alongside his father (played by Donnie Yen).

There is a monument for Wong Fei Hung in Fushan(佛山), China, as well as a recognisable Chinese classical ensemble tune, called "Under the General's Orders" (將軍令), that is widely known as his theme song (as popularised in Once Upon a Time in China series).

in a special family treeset it shows that a tvb/hkmovie celeb is actually the direct studentdescendant of wong fei hung.
Leung Ka something...

I believe the tree was like this:

shoalin->hung hei koon->....->Wong Kei Ying (WFH's father)->Wong Fei Hung->Lam Sai Wing->Leung something

#23 mystical

mystical

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

haha cool...taht was some piece of news...din know mok gwai lan was actually his 4th wife and he met her when he's so old...haha

#24 boom-boom

boom-boom

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

wows! thanks for the info. hehe.. i apologise for my ignorance...but i never really knew wong fei hung was a real person. the only time i had ever heard of him was when i watched those jet li films. so it turns out he's actually a historical figure. hehehehe

so was mok gwai lan actually only 16 when she married wong fei hung?

and in the series, didn't they meet at an early age? i guess tvb doesn't realy follow the real story huh?

#25 h2go

h2go

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 08:22 AM

No offense but wong fei hung doesn't look like a fighter too me I thought he would look more cut up.

#26 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:49 AM

I would rate this show fairly only.

#27 dettol

dettol

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

:crying: i'm dissappointed. i like aunt 13 a lot. she's only a fictional character? this fact is making me felt so sad. When i sees this series, i dislike mok kwai lan cause i felt she's fake. Now u all are telling me that kwai lan are real and aunt 13 fake? :crying:

i like sammul a lot, but in this show, :wacko: he perform really poor. bosco really look too young to play a mature character, especially at the end. i had a hard time seeing him acting mature and grown up.

:crying: i'm still sad at the fact that aunt 13 is not real. :wave:

and, oh god! wong fei hung married 4 times? anybody got any idea who is the 4 wives?

#28 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the info. I too did't realise Wong Fi Hung is a real person and thought all stories about him are made up. However after reading the information here, I have a different thinking. OK he is a real man

#29 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:59 PM

A lot of the characters portrayed in kung fu movies are actually real people. For example Hung hei Goon (Red Dragon) and Fong sai Yuk were legends from China's history. Of course in the movies their accomplisments were greatly exagerrated. Even the character that Bruce Lee and Jet Li played in Fist of Fury was a real life person. Jet Li is currently filming a movie about the master of Chan Jun (the main character from Fist of Fury). Its ironic that he played as the disciple and now hes going to play as the master.

#30 ~ Miss Dior ~

~ Miss Dior ~

~Simply JaDore ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

Very interesting - I wonder why all the Wong Fei Hung series & movies have 13 Aunt in it - but there is no info above on her...

#31 edkitt

edkitt

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the updates on Wong fei hung. I didn't know that much of his love life but more on his martial arts. because i watch most of his movie(starring Jet Li off course). anyway didn't know he actually has 4 weds(impressive) for a man like him(so patriotic like in those movies)

#32 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:46 PM

do you belive. I have collect all this movies, I like Jet Li and the story of the movie. The director is very good too. the actions are great. you can't see anymore in such movie na. Now Jet Li is very expensive for a movie ma

#33 leelee

leelee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:21 PM

i never thought it was real. well i thought it was real but legend sumtimes turn into myths. i wonder where his grandkids are. hehe

#34 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

cool, i always thought he was prolly just some guy with knowledge of martial arts but thru the years the stories have been exagerated(sp?) and grown into myths too..

#35 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

wow.......i like wong fei hong....he is like my idol in martial arts hahaha
=D

#36 hoinam

hoinam

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the info.i didnt really no that but it;s good to read stuff on old ancient people in china.especailly wong fei hong.thanks

#37 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:30 AM

wong fei hung was cool and nice when he was portrayed by Jet Li, others didnt really made WFH look good after Jet Li

#38 Dailookboi

Dailookboi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:53 PM

wahhh thanx for the information on that site!! but hmm still not sure if its the complete whole story.. but all i no is that the film that jet lee stared in was ermm was lies. well knew that from the start. i learnt some things about what i like to do aswell which is lion dance Thanxs for the info

#39 Obi wan Kenobi

Obi wan Kenobi

May The Force Be With You

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

sum good info.........i've always liked wong fei hung film/tv series and its good to read more info on him.

#40 swt8a8ykiss3s

swt8a8ykiss3s

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:32 AM

wow interesting.. my mom told me that he was a real person. but he was just a doctor and didnt noe martial arts. but i guess he does. well i really dunno. but interesting info. thanx for sharing.