Best japanese film, movie?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Rixon

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

Any great titles for a Japanese directed and made in japan movie? I am searching for modern wave films , more like Art Cinema , or not Hollywood style stuff. And have not find anything from japan.

Movies Online | Watch Movies

#2 jaimiered

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

I haven't seen any Japanese movie, but I just watched Mr. Brain is a very good series.

#3 Stipetrov_Volzy

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

You might want to consider this Japanese film called "Departures". It's more like an arts cinema movie, like you mentioned, not hollywood style..It's good and has won the best foreign language film at the 2009 Oscars.

Brief description of the movie:

Departures (おくりびと Okuribito) is a 2008 Japanese film by Yōjirō Takita. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film at the 81st Oscars in 2009. In Japan, it has earned $61,010,217, as of April 12, 2009.

Another movie you can consider is "Nobody Knows". It's about the survival life story of 4 orphaned and abandoned children.

#4 ScrewDriver

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

If you want artistic and non-Hollywood type of movies check out movies by Akira Kurosawa. Some of his films are epic, and a number of them had Hollywood remakes.

If you got a strong stomach for some disturbing behavior or graphic scenes (body mutilations), check Takeshi Miike's Audition.

I agree with Stipetrov_Volzy on his recommendation of Departures.

#5 ELash

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

My favorite Japanese art film is After Life from 1998. It made me think a lot and was also touching.

Synopsis from IMDb: After people die, they spend a week with counselors, also dead, who help them pick one memory, the only memory they can take to eternity. They describe the memory to the staff who work with a crew to film it and screen it at week's end; eternity follows. 22 dead arrive that week, assigned to three counselors and a trainee. One old man cannot find a memory, so he watches videotape of his life. Others pick their memory quickly, and the film crew gets right to work. The trainee, 18-year-old Shiori, helps a teenage girl choose a memory other than Disneyland. The youthful staff have a secret and feelings, too, which play out, especially Shiori's affection for her mentor, Mochizuki.

#6 l3ertum

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

These are certainly a lot of numbers to consider and as I mentioned above, each model presents a different proportion. Nonetheless, what these stats tell us is that generally speaking

#7 霞澄(Kasumi)

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:09 AM

Battle Royale FTW...One Of The Sickest Japanese Movie.

#8 Sea Goddess

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:01 AM

Anything by Akira Kurosawa would be good. My sentimental favorite would be Rashomon, but 7 Samurai is a close second.

I'm not sure what you meant by modern wave cinema but you might want to check Departures and One Million Yen Girl.

#9 YuukiLA~

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Best ROMANCE:
KOIZORA

mika x hirox♥

#10 Khrisnassassin

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Great Teacher Onizuka absolutely......
its touching,inspirational and more and more agin...its complex

#11 Tokyokirei

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Crows Zero by far. Yeah, it's a very guyish movie but the acting is amazing, the plot is awesome, and some of the actors are pretty hot, lol, especially Oguri Shun as Genji <3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users