80 replies to this topic

#41 Pauline Jones

Pauline Jones

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Asians are creative! Posted Image At the end of any CGI movie, there's a looooong list of Asians names at the end of the movie.

Japan created the Walkman, it revolutionised where people could listen to music! They made music truely portable! A very creative idea if you ask me!

Japan is very good at inventing technological stuff, they have to be creative to be able to do that.

Chinese people are creative by bringing a piece of China to the west by creating China Town!

Also on a more negative note, the Pearl Harbour attack was creative in a way! lol.

Nuking Japan attack was also creative in a way. lol

Seriously, Asians are actually really creative. Look at anime. The stories are extremely creative. The artwork not as much as we would like to think. I am sorry, but anime has been using the same basic style for so long now. I know there has been a few anime went off that track, but I would like to see another style beside over-sized eyes with almost no nose. When I watch an anime I would have to look at it for a few seconds before I figure out which anime I am watching. At least with a american cartoon, it may not be as pretty, at least you know right off the bat which cartoon it is. Now anime vs. cartoons is another discussion.
But anywho I disagree. Asians are extremely creative

#42 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Of course. Creativity is not a genetic or biological thing. It's all about culture and the environment.

600 years ago, Asians were the most creative. In the past 300 years, Whites have been the most creative.

In the 21st century, it looks like the Asians and Whites will look each other in the eye face to face :)

After all...an Asian did invent gunpowder

#43 markinmedialand

markinmedialand

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

silly question. creativity is not really race-based. then we get into a quagmire of debate about what rules govern creativity, and we all argue then I'll miss my lunch break and go the rest of the day starving and blame everyone for my churning stomach like a lunatic.

anime, culinary arts, music, street art, fashion - there's tons us asians have to be proud about. and who cares who started it all, everything is a remix.

in the words of charles darwin, "it's not where you take it from, it's what you do to make friggin's ten times more awesome. oh, yes, and evolution is real."

#44 JonnyJonh

JonnyJonh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Thats bs, all human beings have the capacity to be creative. Now having the medium to bring it to the world on a global scale, u need some assistance with that. Everywhere across the world, human beings have shown the ability to bring ideas into the world. Don't forget that today's world is an evolutionary process of everything that came before from the creativity of people who have contributed to the science, arts, and culture of human civilization. The problem is that people tend to bunch everything as Western these days which means classifying everything as European or Western European to say the least. Yet, its ironic even in Western eyes, they acknowledge the accomplishments of other societies and how it contributed to the birth of Western European power. I read somewhere that European intellects even know more about Chinese innovation and technology and its roots then even most Chinese people know about their own history.

I heard or read that 60 or 70 percent of what we use today was invented in China. dont forget that Europeans use to call Chinese product as "Fine China". Kind of like the way Asian women are running to department stores to pick up a Louis Voutton bag or people waiting in line for the latest IPhone. Why do you think the natives in the America's are called "Indians". European sailors were looking for Asia. Asia had the goods. Before the rise of western economic power, China and India were the richest countries in the world. China was the most advanced nation before the rise of Western nations and the China was the first to have the capacity to industrialize first. Obviously, the British did instead and hence, the world we live in.

In recent times, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and Germany have the most technological patents in the previous thirty to fifty years outside of the U.S. Isn't it any wonder why these countries are some of the wealthiest also. To receive a patent, u have to innovate which mean create something that is your own. Isn't that considered creative. The U.S. has so many advantages on why they are able to not only push technology but the arts and culture as well into the world. For one thing, the U.S. has alliances acrosses the globe. The U.S. is one of the leaders in technological innovation. Silicon Valley pretty much is the software maker of the world. Yet, people need to realize that 40 percent of the engineers in Silicon Valley are Asians and growing. MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, Ivy League Universities are filled with Asian students. Affirmative Action actually goes against Asians in these schools. Obviously, these are just things related to Science and Education. There's also the arts and sports.

There are many prominant Asians in Science, Arts, and Entertainment.

One of Americans favorite passtimes is Rock n Roll music. Rock n Roll music actually evolved from Jazz. Jazz is the original Rock n Roll and its actually an African American Art. Why do you think there are so many prominent African American leaders and organizations. They are there to preserve, protect, and educate what should be credited to African Americans. If not, it will get chunked down to American and thus, European or Western Europeans gets the credit.

Western Intellects understand more about Chinese innovation and history is because they are educated. China still has millions of people living in rural China, thus still many peasants. When you have 1.3 billion people, that's a lot of people to feed, build homes for, create jobs for, etc, but it also means a massive amount of human labor and a potential market as consumers for goods and services.

How is it that Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, been able to redevelope itself to become big economic zones in the world. What took Western Europeans three centuries to achieve, took these Asian regions just a few decades to achieve. There has to be some ingenuity to achieve something so fast. Although, 3 centuries ago things were much slower then it is in the 20th century and so on so we shouldn't try to compare Asian growth to Western European growth. It would be unfair to the latter. The growth of Taiwan is called "The Taiwan Miracle". Taiwan was able to transform itself into a first world nation in a matter of 3 decades. For a nation of 20 million, they own some of the largest currency reserve and U.S. debt then most nations in this world.

But then again who knows, maybe Asian people are just smarter ;)
  • Coralie likes this

#45 xanzee

xanzee

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Clever technique to catch people's attention huh...but very rude to say...Asian is not creative.. I don't want to cast on anyone's ability... but it seems you are a narrowed mind person. I like Asian Fashion, Korean dresses and Japanese Style apparels but it doesn't mean...I hate Western Style. Instead, I appreciate them for making names in their own way and for having great design as well. 
<a href="http://www.coco-fash...ashion.com/</a>
<a href="http://asianfashioni...hionist.com</a>

#46 Andika Adisucipta

Andika Adisucipta

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

I hear many non-Asians say "Asians may be book-smart but they are not creative." Do you agree/disagree with that?

Let see....the Japanese and Korean make really awesome gadget/IT stuff, but if u wanna see which company first produce cars, TVs, camera, computers, etc are mostly from Europe/USA....YES, the Japanese/Korean company then try to make their own:

Henry Ford -> 1st mass cars producer
Apple -> 1st mass computer producer
Xerox -> 1st commercial mass printer producer
Camera? not KODAK, but it was "Mitchell company" that first commercially produce cameras
CMIIW

Chinese? they invent a lot of stuff BACK in the day....but now, they are just pretty much following other company's system...pretty much like Japanese and Korean back in late 60s or 70s

#47 Alekei Firebird

Alekei Firebird

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

The notion that Asians are not creative is an extremely racist idea, an idea that is commonly used by racists to justify the holding back of Asia as a second-class region despite its burgeoning economic and political power.

Technology does not exist in a vacuum, and only simpletons believe that it does.

The Industrial Revolution began in Britain. All other Western nations stole and copied Britain technology. Do France and Germany and Russia get a pass on their dependency on British innovation because they have some kind of perceived racial brotherhood?

Why is Germany allowed to copy Britain, but not Japan? Is there some kind of race-based system of access to technological patents?

The worst thing is when Asians themselves start to believe in the idea that they are somehow racially inhibited from becoming leaders and influential figures, and that their rightful place is among the supporting cast for White people.
  • Goldencarp likes this

#48 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

The notion that Asians are not creative is an extremely racist idea, an idea that is commonly used by racists to justify the holding back of Asia as a second-class region despite its burgeoning economic and political power.

Technology does not exist in a vacuum, and only simpletons believe that it does.

The Industrial Revolution began in Britain. All other Western nations stole and copied Britain technology. Do France and Germany and Russia get a pass on their dependency on British innovation because they have some kind of perceived racial brotherhood?

Why is Germany allowed to copy Britain, but not Japan? Is there some kind of race-based system of access to technological patents?

The worst thing is when Asians themselves start to believe in the idea that they are somehow racially inhibited from becoming leaders and influential figures, and that their rightful place is among the supporting cast for White people.

IMO, we will see the most prominent and consistent Asian creativity from China (including Hong Kong/Taiwan), South Korea and Singapore.

#49 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

The problem is that people tend to bunch everything as Western these days which means classifying everything as European or Western European to say the least.

I'm sure most people think America and not always Europe, since that's where "many" of the "top, leading" companies come from

#50 Arnold Schwarzenasian

Arnold Schwarzenasian

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Let's be honest. White people use it as an excuse.

The general assumption is that Asian people are book-smart, the trade off is that, supposedly, Asian people are not creative. This assumption is laughable.

White people need to own 'creativity' for themselves, they do not want to say that Asian people are creative, if they do then that means that they concede, they accept that when it comes to book-smarts and creativity we have them beat.

It is dehumanisation.

#51 MadameMary

MadameMary

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I don't think they meant creative.
The saying is ''Someone may be bookwise but they aren't streetsmart.''

Which i'd say is correct.
To be streetsmart you have to be very social and on the average i found people from china,japan and korea to have difficulties being socially open.

But they are among the most creative people on earth i'd say

#52 OldOldBoy

OldOldBoy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

The Communist Party of China is the most creative factor in the world. Can you not see that under its rule a country with the largest population in the world has succeeded in providing food and shelter to the people living there. Isn't it the most remarkable achievement ever scored in the history?
In 2012, the election of President of the United States of America has been overshadowed by and has given way to the 18th Congress of Communist Party of China, which will determine the leaders of the world in the 21st century.

#53 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes and no. To be streetsmart it's not just about being social .... it's about growing up in a tough background where you have to compete to retain the basics or to get some form of materialistic advantage. People who come from comfortable background often lack that edge.

Bec among the Asians I have met ... I'd say SOME HKgers and China-Chinese while they can be very sheep-like followers in their values and beliefs .... are also among the toughest survivors I have met, who can adapt anywhere. Sometimes bec of the lack of scruples and conscience which will impede people who are 'softer'. or come from cushier backgrounds.

No, they're not creative per se (the way we think of new ways of creating or in Arts), but they are very quick about analysing situations and then about getting around any system, or laws-rules without anyone being any wiser. Or leeching off the right systems. I'd say that's creativity in its own way ... re-inventing coping and adaptation skills.

Go to China where even the rich live on edge all the time bec having backed some important influential figures (and thus thinking they have it made getting business-contract favors riding on his coat-tails) ... another one will come in and the whole game of keeping up and schmoozing starts again.
Repeat that pattern of sucking up and networking constantly ... I have heard that's the way it's played.

Apply the Western concept of 'streetwise' ... and you'd die standing, without knowing why and how.

Living on the treadmill all the time like that .... I'd say they are BRED to be streetwise. They have to bite first all the time, take advantage of any situation, or defend and protect .... or end up being bitten and left in the dust.

A dance friend (someone who's superquick on the uptake - be it with barbs, teasing or retorts .... she thinks very fast on her feet) .... told me if she didn't guard her bowl of rice in China as a child, it would be taken from right under her nose by another child. So having grown up thus - she's quipped to think fast. Not necessarily 'creatively' .... but her mind and mouth definitely spins quickly even after 20 or so years in Canada.

ie they find and navigate the ins and outs, and hone in on the weakness of ANY system pretty easily ... and are survivalist tough. I've heard they can even create 'refugee-status' like papers to gain entry into Western countries after having studied all the conditions and loopholes.

Even the 'Boat People of the 70s - having grown up in the horrors of camps globally, or survived the boat-trip conditions ... learnt mistrust and experienced dog-eat-dog situations daily, seen rape in the face ... they may not be 'creative' per se in inventions ... but they would be definitely street-wisened enough with adaptational survival skills (which in itself requires creativity).
  • MichaelD likes this

#54 Azentia

Azentia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1108 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

Asians as a whole have alot of contribution in creative sectors in the past and in current societies. Many Asians are employed as engineers all over the world. I believe Asians are very creative. Even the art within asian culture is quite complex, such embroidery, paintings, calligraphy, potter-ware. Asian movies, animation, storytelling are also very unique, original, and sentimental. There is also alot of influence that spread from Asian culture in designs, ideas, food, and creations.

The Lion King, for example, mirrors an older Japanese animation called Sambo the Lion. In alot of today's Western self help books, alot borrow influence from Eastern philosophy and culture. Buddhism, Zen, Tao, Art of War, even ancient Asian philosophy provide very inspiring and reflective personal strategies to address personal confliction.

The traditional asian cultures are creative and diligent because their minds work beyond self interest, it comes from a duty to the people and pride in the overall finished work.

Edited by Azentia, 29 March 2013 - 06:26 AM.

• aznkenny and DreamWeaver1337 like this

#55 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Massive industrial espoinage and theft of intellectual property and technology doesn't help.

#56 Azentia

Azentia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1108 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

^Oh so the West has never taken ideas and technology from the East and other countries as well? There are two sides to every coin, the intellectual "property of the West" is also a byproduct of its engineers, which will also comprise of a good percentage of those from Asian ancestry, background. People should acknowledge our contributions to technological change/engineering in this country as well(we are not saying other groups didn't, but we are specifically honoring our side because this is an ASIAN forum.) In fact, Asian countries are big suppliers in intellectual, creative, and technological ideas/products, to other countries that use what we made/contributed on a daily basis. Learning and creativity is a lifetime hobby, this is noted in Asian cultures, it helps them achieve success in many sectors and have economic roles.

Instead of pandering into racist notions against Asians, you can do more for our social and intellectual activism, instead of telling Asians they should not have any pride or morale in what their cultures have achieved.

What is massive industrial espionage? The word "paranoia" applies here. Are you talking about China and its manufacturing? Why don't you be specific so it can addressed?

Edited by Azentia, 02 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#57 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

^Oh so the West has never taken ideas and technology from the East and other countries as well? There are two sides to every coin, the intellectual "property of the West" is also a byproduct of its engineers, which will also comprise of a good percentage of those from Asian ancestry, background. People should acknowledge our contributions to technological change/engineering in this country as well(we are not saying other groups didn't, but we are specifically honoring our side because this is an ASIAN forum.) In fact, Asian countries are big suppliers in intellectual, creative, and technological ideas/products, to other countries that use what we made/contributed on a daily basis. Learning and creativity is a lifetime hobby, this is noted in Asian cultures, it helps them achieve success in many sectors and have economic roles.

No, my friend, of course the West has taken ideas and technology from the East...just as vice versa...

Gunpowder, paper, printing, compass, and so much more....

Instead of pandering into racist notions against Asians, you can do more for our social and intellectual activism, instead of telling Asians they should not have any pride or morale in what their cultures have achieved.

As long as it's not at the expense of other Asians groups.

What is massive industrial espionage?

Look it up.

Edited by DreamWeaver1337, 02 November 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#58 BioTech

BioTech

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

All races and ethnicities are capable of creativity, but culture and environment affects it.
  • The Watcher and forevabrainless92 like this

#59 forevabrainless92

forevabrainless92

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Just wondering if anyone else has mentioned this...

Since a lot of Western Social Networking apps are blocked in China then does it mean that the Chinese have restorted to 'copying' and 'mimicking' western apps?

Like Google (Chinese equivalent being Baidu) Facebook (Weibo a combo of Twitter and Facebook) and other apps?

I mean I love all these chinese programs but weren't the West the first to pioneer such technologies?

Just putting another point out...

???

#60 Azentia

Azentia

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1108 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

^Cyworld is a South Korean based social network that was started in 1999 and around long before Myspace and Facebook. They started out with the concept of listing people from the same hometown and school.

Yahoo also predated Google. Its co-founder was Jerry Yang.

Edited by Azentia, 28 November 2012 - 02:57 AM.

• DreamWeaver1337 likes this

#61 forevabrainless92

forevabrainless92

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

^^OK yeah just that is evidence that Asians are no less creative than westerners. I think it just the exposure that western companies have over Eastern companies that gives them the advantage. I've never used Cyworld but I hear it is the biggest portal in SK

#62 Trambeline

Trambeline

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

It really depends on the person what they consider as "creative". I think that many Asians that I know of are artistic and innonative in the arts especially. I myself am fascinated with how much details one can produce an artwork. It is rather not fair indeed to categorize the racial distinction of those who are "creative" and who are not. I believe it really depends on the ability and talents of the person that one should base the creative skills from.

#63 DreamWeaver1337

DreamWeaver1337

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I read that many Asians are conformist and collective-minded....that is almost opposite of the Western mindset....

But there are exceptions =)

#64 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I agree and disagree.

In general people from the old worlds are not as creative as people in the new world mainly b/c living conditions are harsh so one is taught to value security and conformity to make life less hard. So not only Asian but if you look at Europeans in Europe or Middle Easteners, you would also see less creativity.

Creative in terms of the arts, I disagree since many Asians are superb artists. But art tend to be a creative way of expressing oneself without taking risks as compared to dangerious sports or other risk taking behaviors.

#65 nomad 822

nomad 822

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

Creative in terms of the arts, I disagree since many Asians are superb artists. But art tend to be a creative way of expressing oneself without taking risks as compared to dangerious sports or other risk taking behaviors.

I would also say that more Westerners challenge themselves in ways many true-blooded mentality Asian don't. It is also this recklessness and attitude that can indirectly spawn more creativity, in other ways. Part of creativity is risk-taking. Asians tend to be more cautious.

ie in Extreme Sports ... to the point people can die while doing what they loved best.
To me as an Asian ... I just find it selfish. Sure, they died challenging themselves in sometimes foll-hardy conditions ... but what about the remaining parents, spouse and kids they leave behind?

#66 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

there are people who take foolish risks and there are those who take risks that created greatness. If they fail, they would be considered foolish. If the succeed, we have a genus. Think Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Steve Jobs. Think of most the the great innovations that revolutionized the world today. Steve Jobs is half-syrian (half white) raised by white adopted parents. So while genetics contributes to intelligence , it's the person's upbringing and education that contribute to creativity and innovation. Anyone, Asian or white can be smart but naught would have been possibile with taking huge risks.

When one makes such a statement comparing Asian to white for creativity, it's very faulty since it's trying to attribute creativity to genes rather than upbringing (nature vs. nurture)
  • MichaelD likes this

#67 Iurima

Iurima

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

This is a topic that stops me in my tracks constantly. As a logical person, I have come to the conclusion that there are indeed differences between the races in various intellectual capacities. Many may think this suits me as a person because my ethnicity posts world class IQ scores, but I remind them that things aren't so simple. As a logical person, I can't ignore that stereotypes have many grounds in reality. Europeans have their talents, obviously, and they are different from ours in many ways. In any case, I tend to shy away from any component of racial supremacy. Even though I believe there are differences between us and Africans, us and Europeans, Europeans and Africans, etc. etc. I'd say we take these with measure. Are asians less creative? I'd have to say yes, we are. There isn't much more to say there, and quite frankly I don't really care on a personal level about what group tends to be more one thing on average than not. In the end, culture seems to be king.

#68 Anime_X

Anime_X

Coke Addict, mmm Coca Cola

• Forum Crew
  • 3280 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

I guess everybody is creative, some more so then others... Asians are creative, but then again same can be said for other races too... Some races might be more creative in some areas but then again Asians might be more creative in other areas. Overall, all races are creative, asians too....

#69 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

So while genetics contributes to intelligence , it's the person's upbringing and education that contribute to creativity and innovation. Anyone, Asian or white can be smart but naught would have been possibile with taking huge risks.

It could be true for some people but not everyone. You think education and how parents raise their kids ... simply makes for creativity alone? You think it's that simple?

I mean some kids could become really talented (for example: in music, like maybe playing the piano, or the guitar ... like Sungha) but did that mean they became "creative?" Not neccessarily. Talented yes ... creative, not always. As far as I know ... Sungha, for example, did not create his own songs. He simply leanred how to do them off a guitar

You think everyone's creativity SIMPLY attributes to what they learned and did in school? Or simply how their parents raised them? Yes I went to school (an education after high school) to learn how to do graphic design ... and yes as a kid I played with Lego. I believe those two things did help a little towards my ability to be creative ... but not always the creativity itself

What the education did for me was help me learn how to use the software ... back in co-op I sat around with Photoshop ... not really knowing all the tools and stuff ... and they didn't really teach me anything (the people in the office ... they just had me sit there and "try to learn it on my own" ... and I'm actually glad they did ... what it lead to was self exploring). Because of this experience ... I was free to play around and try the software and with pictures any way I wanted, and it didn't matter whether I saved something or scrapped it. It was just simply being able to explore it and see what I could do in the beginning ... and that started a path for me. So yes ... in a way "it was through education ... in a sort of way ... but not really taught that much in school. When I was in school (the education I took after high school) to do graphic design ... we had projects to do ... but no one was to tell us what to do, just a general idea of what it had to
be. But the creativity itself had to come from us

example: a movie poster, or a collage. That's just the general idea ... but the actual creativity has to come from yourself

and yes ... there is a difference between a graphic designer and an actual artist. Anyone can learn how to use software but not everyone is a real artist

Anyway ... fact is education does not always teach people how to be creative ... but it can help teach them to learn how to use the tools or software needed to do it

REAL CREATIVITY COMES FROM EXPLORING ... and that's what I did ever since I was very young ... when I was a kid I would go EXPLORING collecting insects in a jar ... I would play with Lego and learn how to build things from abstract ... I had some weird ideas and built some weird things with them and back then I didn't even know what creative was ... but at least I was learning something ... I was learning to be abstract ... and abstract is creativity itself, or part of creativity. Just like when I sat there in co-op and learned to use Photoshop on my own in the beginning ... I didn't know everything but I was EXPLORING

and that's where creativity comes from ... EXPLORING

and for me and many artists out there ... creativity is a hobby and / or a lifestyle, or more like an expression
of it ... not just an education. To say creativity is nothing more than education OR simply based off education and how your parents raised you (who in some cases had nothing to do with creativity at all) ... is an insult

Why? Because creativity is so much more complex than that ... or it could of came from a different place, a different source. Some people became creative later in life without the need to learn it in school OR WITHOUT the help of their parents OR not even genetically related to creativity at all, or perhaps not very much IF at all

More than anything ... creativity comes from exploring ... whether those ideas are external or from within ... and you may get ideas from the outside world sometimes but it's your own sense of self expression that makes the real art. It doesn't matter whether they come from dreams, or some ideas from outside, or even your own imagination ... let it flow, put it together

I guess that's what I did for Lego back when I was young. Lego teaches you to explore and what to do with the pieces ... especially back when I was young. Back then we didn't have all these Lego castle sets and all that ... Lego that was made for certain themes ... we didn't have that back then, or not half as much of it. Even if we did ... I never used them

Everything I did and made from Lego was abstract ... pure abstract. No matter the shape and size, and you couldn't be too picky about the color ... most pieces I had were just red, yellow or black ... and some wheels

When one makes such a statement comparing Asian to white for creativity, it's very faulty since it's trying to attribute creativity to genes rather than upbringing (nature vs. nurture)

My parents "weren't that creative" ... so I would have to say no, genes don't have very much to do with it

really ... exploring is the answer

Edited by GOLDENCARP, 14 January 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#70 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

This is a topic that stops me in my tracks constantly. As a logical person, I have come to the conclusion that there are indeed differences between the races in various intellectual capacities. Many may think this suits me as a person because my ethnicity posts world class IQ scores, but I remind them that things aren't so simple. As a logical person, I can't ignore that stereotypes have many grounds in reality. Europeans have their talents, obviously, and they are different from ours in many ways. In any case, I tend to shy away from any component of racial supremacy. Even though I believe there are differences between us and Africans, us and Europeans, Europeans and Africans, etc. etc. I'd say we take these with measure. Are asians less creative? I'd have to say yes, we are. There isn't much more to say there, and quite frankly I don't really care on a personal level about what group tends to be more one thing on average than not. In the end, culture seems to be king.

I disagree and believe you are incorrect, just stereotyping. I wouldn't say Asians are less creative ... just in different ways sometimes. Obviously Western and Asian cultures are different ...
so will be the ideas that come out of those cultures as well. Like for example, in Asian culture you wouldn't really expect to see all this Indie rock music stuff ... it's just not part of their culture,
or not very much ... not that I know of anyway.

If you look in Western culture they really have a thing for more violence, and all this aggressive, sexual and high upbeat stuff. Asians are more known for intellect and education ... or that's the
stereotype anyway. The only creative stuff Asians are "usually most known for are anime and Asian music ... especially Kpop and Jpop" ... and maybe stuff like Godzilla, Nintendo or the Power
Rangers ... yes that stuff exists but it's also a stereotype

It doesn't take much to think you'll probably never see "an Asian version of the Terminator ... or maybe the Predator, or Star Wars ... or 14, Prison Break or maybe even Friends, or Harry
Potter" ... stuff like that ... you'll probably never seen Asian versions of that stuff, or anything like it

I once had the idea that they should do something like an Asian version of the Terminator or The Never Ending Story ... but so far it has not been taken up ... and it doesn't surprise me.
Asians just don't think like that ... or they have no interest in it ... and heck, in Asia they probably don't even know that stuff. They may, or may not, have heard of the Terminator ... but
obviously no one has done an Asian version of the Terminator. It would be really cool though ... or I hope ... I just wonder who would play the Terminator lol

But they sure do alot of damn Kung Fu movies lol ... yeah I know it's a stereotype

Or how about an Asian version of Donny Darko? lol ... and let's not even get started with Batman or Superman. I'm serious

But just to name a few "famous" Asian creative directors or producers ... they include Shiguru Miyamoto from Nintendo (who helped produces famous franchises like Super Mario, Zelda and
Donkey Kong), Akira Toriyama who helped produce Dragon Ball and the Dragon Quest series (game series), Tomonobu Itagaki who was the director behind the Ninja Gaiden series
on XBOX (at least for part 1 and 2)andHideo Kojima, thecreative director who helped produce the Metal Gear Solid series

and I know all these guys are Japanese ... and there's so many more people / Asians out there that can take credit for being creative out there ... but these are just a few examples

Oh and does anyone remember the dance group Poreotix on ABDC / America's Best Dance Crew ... I know most people may be familiar with Quest Crew and Jabbawockeez ... but just
wondering if anyone remembered them, or knows about them (Poreotix) ... oh yeah and So Real Cru and Kaba Modern. Oh yeah and Instant Noodles, yeah them too

I also liked the girls from We Are Heroes ... they were awesome

btw check out my pal Petey Lee's videos at www.youtube.com/user/PoeticMurder

I thought it was pretty cool ... check it out. I have to say, he can rap ... the rap itself was pretty good

#71 bachl

bachl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Aryan are more populate sure that why.

Edited by bachl, 14 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#72 Iurima

Iurima

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Goldencarp I 100% agree with you and beleive we are underestimated. But it doesn't change much. You can find a couple black scientists but it doesn't make them not the least intelligent race by far on average.

#73 SomeAsianDude

SomeAsianDude

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1617 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Human intelligence is not defined by race, which makes the rest of your post irrelevant.
  • MichaelD likes this

#74 guypar

guypar

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

How can you explain that a poor country like Vietnam produce more winners than India and China at international maths olympiads

and despite the lack of education, produce people like ngo bao chau (2010 maths field medal), trinh xuan tuan (famous astrophysicist), philip roesler (a surgeon who is also the present (2013) vice german chancellor), etc... ??

I have many vietnamese friends who are brilliant in sciences, not only at high schools, engineer schools and famous Universities, but also in professional career, in Europe and in the US.

In some forums about IQ, people write that only NE asians have very high IQ (japaneses, chineses, koreans), while SE Asia (Thailand, Laos, Kampuchea, Filipin, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam) has lower IQ around 90-95. You forget that Vietnameses don't have the same ethnicity than other SE Asia who are Melanesian, Australoid, ...with some mixture. Actually, Vietnameses come from the East part of China in a long past.

#75 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

What's your point? That's not being creative. They may be smart, but what does your example have to do with them being creative???
  • jandari likes this

#76 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Check out the Chinese Deviants group on DeviantArt
  • Alter Ego likes this

#77 The Watcher

The Watcher

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

All races and ethnicities are capable of creativity, but culture and environment affects it.

As it does with academic endevours

#78 Ktko

Ktko

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

These non-Asians who say Asians aren't creative feel inferior and are trying to put Asians down because they're getting their ass whoop in the academic and intellectual department. I grew up in one of the worst cities in America with an inadequate and underfunded education system when my family immigrated here when I was 3 from China. I was surrounded by dumb*ss morons who want to be thugs and gangasters that constantly trying to bring me down. When I went to college, I had to bust my ass to make up for the bad education that I received and I thought I would escape all these idiocy, but to my surprise I was wrong. These idiots were still around me but in different form and appearance.

The truth is, the majority of the people who grew up with an American education system are inadequate when compare to those of other countries and this is especially apparent in the math and science department. America as a whole is NOT a creative nation and has to import creative intellects from other countries such as China and other Asian countries, Russia, and Europe through the H-1B visa (genius visa). The visa allows anyone who is considered a genius to immigrate to the United States. This provides the geniuses oppurtunites that they don't otherwise have in their respective countries and in exchange their creative intelligence are leeched by Americans to spark new innovation in technology and science.

Edited by Ktko, 20 February 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#79 Goldencarp

Goldencarp

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3294 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Is that supposed to discourage me from being creative??? Hell no!!! I like to be creative because it's something I can enjoy and possibly more

Edited by Wong Che Loong, 05 September 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#80 cyverse

cyverse

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

I was watching a talk show where a few Chinese hosts were interviewing some American music executives. They were discussing the difference between Asian and American stars. One of the American executives said something like, "in Asia, you were taught to just do your best. Work hard and give it your all. But in America, you are told to shine like a star, act like a star, be a star." I forgot his exact words, but it was pretty clear. Next I saw a Chinese and American group perform, and I could clearly see the difference. The Chinese group did their thing, but then it got repetitive. They were repeating the same moves over and over. But when the American group performed, their individuality shone through. Each person did their own thing, sometimes ad lib. You could see each person has his/her own personality shine through.

In Asia, I heard many students were taught rote memorization. They were tested on how much they could memorize facts. But in the West, there's less emphasis on rote memorization and more on critical thinking. People are sometimes expected to improvise.

I also heard about so-called "K-pop schools" in China and other places where they teach you how to be a k-pop idol. I'm sitting here thinking, why is it that people want to copy each other? Why not just be you? How many Lee Taemin's or Kim Jung Hyunh's do we need produce by mass production?

Edited by cyverse, 30 August 2013 - 10:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users