AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Barbara Yung Mei Ling (翁美玲)

barbara yung yung mei ling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#1 kpl818

kpl818

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:19 PM

Just seen legend of the condor heroes again since my childhood, I was 5 years old then so doesn't really count. But leant just now that Barbara Yung or Yung Mei Ling had committed suicide at the age of 26. I just can't get over it. I just loved her in the condor heroes! It's said that it was out of lovesickness. Tragedy! :crying:
All I can do now is watch some of her other tv series to comfort myself a little bit. :down

i was afraid some people would not know her since her appearences in tvb series is quite a while ago.

Some facts:
English name: Barbara Yung

Mandarin name: Weng Mei Ling

Cantonese name: Yung Mei Ling

Date of birth: May 7, 1959

Date of death: May 14, 1985

Birthplace: Hong Kong

Began Career in: 1983

School: Cambridge University in England
Rosary Hill School in Hong Kong

Height: 5'2"

Favorite colors: white and purple

Other Facts:
-(1982)was in Miss HK Pageant (coming in 9th place)
-father died early
(from: http://www.geocities...ess/bybio.html)

She starred in: Legend of the condor heroes, legend of the unknowns, the foundation, the sandwichman, the fearless duo, united we stand, the adventures of Chor Lau Heung, the rough ride, the battle field.

After one of her best roles in Legend of the condor heroes, TVB wanted to make her a big star so, mostly she starred with one or more of the five tigers (Miu Kiu Wai, Felix Wong, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, Ken Tong).

Her nickname was Wong Yung, which is the name of her character in Legend of the condor heroes.

See this site: http://www.yungmeiling.com/
and: http://www.rumela.co..._1/barbara_yung
Also: http://www.geocities...ramiuallaccess/

dreamsnwishes, go to google and type  Barbara Yung in image like i did.. why did she commit suicide newayz> ne1 noe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already mentioned earlier (post 3), but it is believed that her boyfriend wanted to break up with her was the reason. She was dating Ken Tong.

Edited by Zyphere, 27 November 2005 - 06:05 PM.

#2 magus1986

magus1986

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:27 PM

I was kind of in the same situation as you. I was really young when The Legend of Condor Hero aired in Hong Kong as well but I saw reruns of it later. And when I came to the U.S, my parents brought the series. She was really great in that series. I heard from my parents that it was really big news and a real tragedy when news came out that she committed suicide. I think it was because someone broke up with her? It's a shame because she was a great actress.

#3 kpl818

kpl818

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

I was kind of in the same situation as you. I was really young when The Legend of Condor Hero aired in Hong Kong as well but I saw reruns of it later. And when I came to the U.S, my parents brought the series. She was really great in that series. I heard from my parents that it was really big news and a real tragedy when news came out that she committed suicide. I think it was because someone broke up with her? It's a shame because she was a great actress.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Magus 1986,

I kind of recognised your id picture in some other posts as being Barbara Yungs father in the condor heroes. Wong Lo Teh, am I right?

What I understand is that her (boy)friend backthen had the intension to break up with her. And I believe it was Ken Tong.

Maybe some pictures for people who can't remember her by name. How can I upload pictures from my harddisk?

Edited by kpl818, 07 January 2005 - 01:52 PM.

#4 getafix

getafix

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

it is tragic, that it had to end up that way.

#5 ShivahN

ShivahN

imafatface!

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:03 AM

dreamsnwishes, go to google and type Barbara Yung in image like i did.. why did she commit suicide newayz> ne1 noe?

#6 precious9i6

precious9i6

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:52 AM

I was also very young when i first watched Legend of the Condor heroes. I really enjoyed watching her in that series and i also feel that its really tragic that shes no longer here. She was soo pretty and will always be rememebered.

#7 honey_bunny

honey_bunny

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

She's one of my fav actress since I've watched her in the TVB series when I was little. It's quite tragic for someone so talented and pretty to die for a guy who's not worth it.

#8 devil

devil

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:12 AM

Reporter: Yueng Lan

Hong Kong TVB actress Yung Mei Ling was discovered dead at her home yesterday. Upon her arrival at the hospital, she was pronounced dead by doctor.

Yung Mei Ling, aged 26, TVB actress.

In the morning 9:00 am yesterday (May 14, 1985), Yung Mei Ling was discovered lying dead in her home located at Broadcast Road, Kowloon. At that moment, the living room was reeked of gas. In the first investigation, she was died from poisoning by gas. And believing that she was committing suicide due to love problems.

According to the news from Hong Kong. The first person discovered Yung Mei Ling, was her boy friend, Chow Sai Lung. (Chow Sai Lung was Anita Mui's boyfriend, but separated. It was rumored that he was a close friend of Yung Mei Ling at that moment.)

According to the description of Mr. Chow, aged 22, she has phoned him on the night of May 13, 1985. She cried and told him about her love problem with Kent Tong during the conversation.

After hanging up the phone, Mr. Chow thought that there was some problems and then he went to her house. However, he couldn't enter her house. Mr. Chow thought that nobody was at home, so he went back home. (Pinky's remark: if he could, my lovely angel could be still alive.)

In the morning of May 14, 1985, he went to her house again. He knocked on the door but no one replied. He decided to climb and open the window. And he discovered Yung Mei Ling sprawled on the floor. And he smelt it reeking of gas.

He then rushed to find the security guard and called the police for help. With the cooperation of security guard, they opened the door.

Unfortunately, after her arrival at the hospital, the doctors pronounced her dead.

At that moment, Yung Mei Ling was a leading actress of a new TV serial (The Feud That Was). Her boyfriend, Kent Tong, also was a leading actor in this TV serial.

During Yung Mei Ling's accident occurred, Kent Tong did not know anything about it. After receiving the calls from TVB, he rushed to hospital After that, he came back home. He refused to answer any questions from the reporters.

According to the colleagues of Yung Mei Ling in the new TV serial. she behaved normally during the few days before the incident. There was no hint that she will commit suicide.

TVB said that the leading actress that Yung Mei Ling in the new TV series will be replaced by someone else. (Maggie Cheung)

Other that, Yung Mei Ling lived alone in Hong Kong. Her mother and uncle were now living in Britain. The related department were trying to contact her family and relatives in Britain.

At that moment, the TV serial "The Rough Ride" was broadcasted at TVB, Hong Kong. In this TV series, she acted as a strong policewoman. And also, she was often a host in the woman show "Women Today" often.

Yung Mei Ling graduated from textile design faculty at Art College, UK. After graduating, she came back Hong Kong and joined Miss Hong Kong 1982.

Her famous TV series was "The Legend of Condor Heroes", she acted as Wong Yung. After that, she get that nick name of "Cute Wong Yung" or "Wong Yung".

Her TV serials included "The Sister Thirteen", "The Legend of Condor Heroes", "The Foundation", "The Sandwich Man", "The Fearless Duo", "United We Stand", "The Adventure of Chor Lau Heung", "The Rough Ride" and "The Battles Field".

News: Police found some letters at Yung Mei Ling' home. It was believed to be her last letters.

CREDIT GOES TO PINKY AND SALLY CHAN

#9 RoseCrystal

RoseCrystal

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:59 AM

yes i love that serie. loch. she was awesome it hehe. I don't think any actress these days can compare to her.

#10 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

oh my god..she commit suicide??? :shock she was sooo talented actresses...it's true that no1 can be compared to her...her acting skill is perfect....how could she commit suicide becuz of breaking up?? that'a a tragedy. :down

too bad...she looked soo cute, especially her smile....

#11 330d

330d

Catch you if you Spam

• Forum Crew
  • 18516 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

I was 8-9yr when I watched condor heros, I also watched all her series. I like her very much, her innocent and cute outlook till today I still remember it. It was a very stupid choice from her to commit suicide. Ken isn't worth about it... just my opinion
I remember how my brother (15yr) react when we heard about her suicide. He has write : Yong Mee Ling See Liw! on his bag and use it for years everyday.

Some Pics from series of her:
Posted Image

#12 athlon

athlon

Selfish elite

• uber-newbie
  • 3783 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:13 PM

Her database on http://hkadb.net/ind...a_Yung_Mei-Ling

#13 ~ Miss Dior ~

~ Miss Dior ~

~Simply JaDore ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:38 PM

I dont remeber watching Legend of condors hero's - but I remember her from Adventures of Chor Lau Hourng with Michael Mui - that was when I started to like her. It was a shame because that was the last series I watched of hers.

#14 AnotherEdward

AnotherEdward

tired

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1141 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:53 PM

i had such a huge crush on her and i was so young back then. she had the most amazing eyes ever. she was such a huge and rising star. it was such a tragic waste.

#15 jeh

jeh

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

Agree, such a waste. She was so cute and talented. I loved her in Chor Lau Heung. Michael Miu and her make a good couple. And also Condor Hero. She was so mischievous in there. If only she didn't commit suicide, her future was so bright. She would've gone pretty far in her career.

#16 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:25 PM

I like her so much. I watched Legend of condor hero when I was very young but really admire her work with Felix Wong. She's the best Wong Yung. She's talented and versatile. Can play both soft-spoken, tragic lady like in the foundation or energetic Wong Yung. She's cute and very suitable for ancient costume!

I was so sad back then to know that she committed suicide. I knew love problem is her reason but just know that Kent Tong was her bf back then. Well, yeah, he wasn't worth for. That's why Kent tong's career went down hill?

#17 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:20 AM

Who's Barbara Yung? Got any pictures of her?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.yungmeiling.com/
heres a site that has here pics on the main page..

I like her so much. I watched Legend of condor hero when I was very young but really admire her work with Felix Wong. She's the best Wong Yung. She's talented and versatile. Can play both soft-spoken, tragic lady like in the foundation or energetic Wong Yung. She's cute and very suitable for ancient costume!

I was so sad back then to know that she committed suicide. I knew love problem is her reason but just know that Kent Tong was her bf back then. Well, yeah, he wasn't worth for. That's why Kent tong's career went down hill?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just can't believe he left her! Well , what comes around , goes around.. I wouldn't be surprised that his recent girl or wife leaves he's sorry ass .. was he a playa back in the days? Well I think that suicide is not the a source to solve a broken relationship. I would rather listen to depressing songs and drown my sorrows. Better yet.. go out with friends and find another lover! He was not worth dying for. Did he have any regrets leaving her at all?

#18 hakunamatata

hakunamatata

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:04 AM

i love her too.. she is cute .
she commited suicide because of her boyfriend tong chun yip. i think he had another girlfriend.

#19 rep_ABC

rep_ABC

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:25 AM

sad that she committed suicide. i feel bad for ken tong too. he'll probably feel guilty for the rest of his life. and people probably look at him weird to this day.

#20 jtbbe

jtbbe

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:26 AM

here are some websites to her boyfriend at the time according to what i read from above. i can't believe she kill herself over this guy! i can't imagine how big she would still be today if she just didn't die. so sad. i can't believe she only acted for about 2 yrs and legendoch was her first series..she was just a natural born actress.

http://www.lovehkfil...le/tong_ken.htm
http://www.kent-tong.com/index.html (this show a`pic of her and him)

#21 2002 X5

2002 X5

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10102 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

here are some websites to her boyfriend at the time according to what i read from above.  i can't believe she kill herself over this guy!  i can't imagine how big she would still be today if she just didn't die. so sad.  i can't believe she only acted for about 2 yrs and legendoch was her first series..she was just a natural born actress.

http://www.lovehkfil...le/tong_ken.htm
http://www.kent-tong.com/index.html (this show a`pic of her and him)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same feelings here. I was like for this guy?!! She was a good actress. No guy is worth that much for me to kill myself over. I'm watching her old series again. I'm searching for one she did that was a modern series. Anyone know the name?

#22 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

i agree! Barbara Yung is the best actor ever! i felt sad when my mom told me she already died when i was like 6 and watched the legend of condor heros. she and felix are a great match. it would have been great if felix and barbara went out lol they're great together, but thats ok. im trying to dl all her series but they are old so i dont know where to find em lol. with great respects=)

#23 cowtown

cowtown

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:25 AM

Barbara Yung....the most charming actress that ever appeared on-screen. She definetely captured my imagination when I watched her as Wong Yung in LOCH. My addiction to TVB series started with her and I too was absolutely devasted when I found out that she had already passed away...and so tragically too. I still remember having an empty feeling the whole day, and I just kept watching LOCH and her other series over and over again. It occured to me that these tapes were all I had and how I wish to see her smile again.

Barbara Yung....20 years, and still missing you...

#24 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:30 AM

Barbara Yung....the most charming actress that ever appeared on-screen.  She definetely captured my imagination when I watched her as Wong Yung in LOCH.  My addiction to TVB series started with her and I too was absolutely devasted when I found out that she had already passed away...and so tragically too.  I still remember having an empty feeling the whole day, and I just kept watching LOCH and her other series over and over again.  It occured to me that these tapes were all I had and how I wish to see her smile again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi I really the music on the homepage of Yung Meiling at www.yungmeiling .com .
Does anybody know how I can get it.
Thanks

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:32 AM

Barbara Yung....the most charming actress that ever appeared on-screen.  She definetely captured my imagination when I watched her as Wong Yung in LOCH.  My addiction to TVB series started with her and I too was absolutely devasted when I found out that she had already passed away...and so tragically too.  I still remember having an empty feeling the whole day, and I just kept watching LOCH and her other series over and over again.  It occured to me that these tapes were all I had and how I wish to see her smile again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi I really the music on the homepage of Yung Meiling at www.yungmeiling .com .
Does anybody know how I can get it.
Thanks

#26 ~ Miss Dior ~

~ Miss Dior ~

~Simply JaDore ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

i love her too.. she is cute .
she commited suicide because of her boyfriend tong chun yip. i think he had another girlfriend.

yup thats what i heard too he was like cheating on her or something.... i dont know what she saw in him anyway!!!

#27 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:51 PM

:crying: if only she chose michal mui or felix wong... i wish she didn't commit sucide. i love her series..

#28 hlac

hlac

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

Yung Mei Ling. she is so cute looking, she's kind of tiny but a really sweet girl. Love her acting, she's great, she was so good in Legend of the Condor, her character was best. It's sad that she commited suicide so long ago.

#29 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

Her acting is not very good, but she looked so cute and lovely that everyone loves her.

#30 jingabel

jingabel

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

I heard that she was really smart. She only needed to rehearse once on her role and she would get it right away. The first time I saw her was in, of course, the Condor Heroes and she looked really talented. She seemed to have a cunning mind. It's sad that she had to give her life up that way. Afterall, that Ken Tong guy didn't look much like a faithful person. Maybe back in those days, he thought that he was a pretty boy and didn't want to settle just yet. I wonder if he still feels bad for her death. BTW, is he still around?

#31 Bingcute

Bingcute

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:53 PM

I like her she is very cute and tallent

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bingcute, 19 September 2005 - 05:54 PM.

#32 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:38 PM

Just seen legend of the condor heroes again since my childhood, I was 5 years old then so doesn't really count. But leant just now that Barbara Yung or Yung Mei Ling had committed suicide at the age of 26. I just can't get over it. I just loved her in the condor heroes! It's said that it was out of lovesickness. Tragedy!  :crying:
All I can do now is watch some of her other tv series to comfort myself a little bit.  :down

i was afraid some people would not know her since her appearences in tvb series is quite a while ago.

Some facts:
English name: Barbara Yung

Mandarin name: Weng Mei Ling

Cantonese name: Yung Mei Ling

Date of birth: May 7, 1959

Date of death: May 14, 1985

Birthplace: Hong Kong

Began Career in: 1983

School: Cambridge University in England
Rosary Hill School in Hong Kong

Height: 5'2"

Favorite colors: white and purple

Other Facts:
-(1982)was in Miss HK Pageant (coming in 9th place)
-father died early
(from: http://www.geocities.com/barbaramiuallaccess/bybio.html)

She starred in: Legend of the condor heroes, legend of the unknowns, the foundation, the sandwichman, the fearless duo, united we stand, the adventures of Chor Lau Heung, the rough ride, the battle field.

After one of her best roles in Legend of the condor heroes, TVB wanted to make her a big star so, mostly she starred with one or more of the five tigers (Miu Kiu Wai, Felix Wong, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, Ken Tong).

Her nickname was Wong Yung, which is the name of her character in Legend of the condor heroes.

See this site: http://www.yungmeiling.com/
and: http://www.rumela.com/gallery_1/barbara_yung
Also: http://www.geocities.com/barbaramiuallaccess/
Already mentioned earlier (post 3), but it is believed that her boyfriend wanted to break up with her was the reason. She was dating Ken Tong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mom said she committed suicide due to "hong zhen yip"

#33 Guest_old timer_*

Guest_old timer_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:19 PM

My mom said she committed suicide due to "hong zhen yip"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea 'tang zhen ye' in chinese...

In fact i think there was a rumour that the 3rd party of the 2 (yung and tong) is a lady call 'wu junru'.... but dunno whether is sandra ng or not (i don't think so though).. read below somewhere mentioned towards the end of the news..
http://www.miuyungforever.com/Barbara%20Memory/ArtMB23.jpg

report taken while surfing from site http://www.miuyungforever.com/Barbara%20Memory/ArtMB23.jpg

#34 edisonraylam

edisonraylam

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4226 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:49 AM

That's so sad that Barbara committed suicide. She was on the up and up in her career. It's too bad that her love life brought her down. I read somewhere that the guy she liked quit show biz because of it and disappeared from the limelight.

#35 Guests

• Guests
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

how come she committed suicide?

is it because that guy doesn't like her?

#36 dragonfly69uk

dragonfly69uk

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

yes barbara yung how can she be like that,it just a shame i liked her to bits
she was a good actress pretty and cute, cool and funky ,everything is so rosy fo rher future
but i felt so sorry for her, if she still alive now , she will be very famous indeed.

#37 matchboxs2k

matchboxs2k

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:39 AM

I think she was great for her time. Its too bad she ended her life so early. We miss her so much

#38 jiminez_richardo

jiminez_richardo

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:39 PM

The legend of the condor heroes is a classic and one of my favorite series because of this actress.

she is cute and talented. she is the best "wong yung".

#39 Guest_T_*

Guest_T_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:37 PM

hi, i was just trying my luck with the web to see if i could still find anything on barbara (why she committed suicide and news, bios etc) since i was barely 7 when i saw the legend of the condor heroes. i admired her very much then (probably because i was 7 when i saw it, so i thought she was pretty much like the character she was in) i just saw the re-run of the show and buoy was i impressed by her acting skills. she portrayed the character so well and brought so much life to the character that its a pity she had to end her life this way. i cant imagine the extent of her fame if she had lived to see this age, she probably would have gone west too (as i understood, she spoke perfect english) she would have been a brilliant actress. what a shame really that one so young had to leave the world so early. yes she is greatly missed.

#40 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:00 PM

i liked her the best out of the 80's actresses, when i was younger. yes she commited suicide over her bf. heard from my older cousin and some old magazines, that her bf was far sum, and the third person was sandra ng, mm gwan yue. back then she was not attractive, a little chubby, even my cousin could't believe barabara bf could cheat on her with that woman??! yeah she would be great if she still lived, we will still remember her as yong yee :lol?: