AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

City Telecom looks to courts over television licence delay

hong kong cti atv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

City Telecom looks to courts over television licence delay
A judicial review is an option, says chairman Ricky Wong, with firm still waiting for decision on new free-to-air TV licences after 1,000 days

Written by Amy Nip

Article originally published November 8th, 2012

Source: South China Morning Post

Posted Image

City Telecom may try to seek a judicial review if the government refuses to make a decision on new free-to-air television licences, chairman Ricky Wong Wai-kay said yesterday.

"A judicial review is definitely something a commercial entity would consider," he said, adding that it was "only one of the options to be considered".

Wong's comment came after lawmakers flooded the secretary for commerce and economic development, Greg So Kam-leung, with another round of questions over the licences, with no results.

So, speaking in the Legislative Council, reiterated that the Executive Council was still considering the applications, and that the government would make a decision for the good of the broadcasting industry.

Wong, who applied for a licence in 2009, has lost his patience after waiting for more than 1,000 days.

"I will have to face my shareholders," he said. "The issue will not be silenced."

City Telecom has invested more than HK$300 million and hired 700 staff and 200 artists. It also sold its telecommunications assets, including Hong Kong Broadband Network, for HK$5 billion in May to focus on building a TV empire.

"If our attempt fails, no one will dare to put money into creative industries," Wong said. Only the announcement of a timetable detailing the licence approval process would dampen worries, he said.

Worries of a different kind beset existing free-to-air operators, and ATV launched a bid for a judicial review to stop new licences. While the court accepted that new market entrants could have a significant and unfair competitive advantage over the existing licensees, it dismissed the review, saying there was no arguable case as the government had not made a final decision.

Eric Cheung Tat-ming, an assistant professor of law at the University of Hong Kong, said a judicial review could be launched if the applicant established that the government had spent "more time than appropriate" in making a decision on the licences. There was no need to wait until a decision had been made.

"The court will not judge the merits of the decision but the legality of it. It will see if the government took relevant factors into consideration, or whether it considered irrelevant factors in the process," he said.

Political concerns would be an irrelevant factor that the government should not consider. If an applicant could prove that the government had refused to give out new licences to maintain a tight grip on the number of TV stations and thus bigger control over expression of opinion, it would be a legal basis for a court fight, Cheung said.

Other licence applicants include Fantastic Television, a subsidiary of i-Cable Communications, and HK Television Entertainment, set up under PCCW Interactive Media Holdings.

#2 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6931 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

If they loses, they may wait longer

But if they win, TVB has lots of competition to fight against and that will make TV nicer to watch for sure

#3 maresca

maresca

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

This is bad for the image of hk as one of the best place to make an investment.
I am not a hk-er, and all this time I thought that hk government is the most efficient (and transparent) in asia.
But this case really changed my mind.. hk government is not better than the other asian countries.

#4 uptowngirl

uptowngirl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I know eh? Just go to court cause I doubt the govt is gonna approve anytime soon, they've been sitting there eating donuts all day

#5 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4688 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

The annoying part is that the government continues to give the same vague answer every time they are asked about it...I mean, come on already....it's been 3 years for goodness sake! If they don't want to issue the licenses, then just say so..this way, the 3 companies know where they stand and can take the next step they need to take....right now, the 3 companies are pretty much just being strung along, which definitely makes the government come across as highly incompetent and inefficient!

#6 malmal

malmal

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

If licence given to cti,atv will definately wind up.tvb's revenue will be affected by cti based advertisings.

#7 lazzieboi

lazzieboi

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I know eh? Just go to court cause I doubt the govt is gonna approve anytime soon, they've been sitting there eating donuts all day

the govt of hk sitting there eatting chicken all day..

#8 花媽

花媽

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

if you understand canto this is a pretty good video on the whole free-license thing
by rthk:

#9 sport

sport

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5407 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

If licence given to cti,atv will definately wind up.tvb's revenue will be affected by cti based advertisings.

BS! TVB makes Billions of dollars per year with their low paying salaries! One more tv station won't affect them that much! They are monopolizing 95% of ads with ATV acquiring only 5%!

Edited by sport, 15 November 2012 - 03:52 AM.