AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Something that is really hard to study for...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 XDshirley

XDshirley

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

So my whole life, i have been failing in history because remembering years and peoples name is something i always found boring and impossible. High School ended and i thought that would be the end of me learning about historical stuff. In uni, i have a subject which is about the history of business, any tips on how to remember this type of stuff?

Thank you :)

#2 packofllamas

packofllamas

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-newbie
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'm no history expert...I'm a science major :P

But I've been doing well in my history core classes at Uni because of two reasons: (1) studying smartly and (2) acknowledge history is not just dates and facts but an important dialogue that has lessons to teach from the past. There will be memorization but it's easier to know the flow of events and thinking and then insert the names and dates.

So I'm currently a senior at Uni and here's how I study:
i) Go to lec, write down whatever prof is saying...ON PAPER. and USE MULTICOLOR PENS. I like this one http://ecx.images-am...L500_AA300_.jpg

ii) After lec that day or tomorrow, read the book once but superficially. Or you can do this before lec if you're super asian. Either way, if it correlates with lec, it will be easier to read. Highlight if you want or mark it. this is the 2nd exposure to materials and should start to sink in. AND MAKE A TIMELINE IF THERE ARE A LOT OF DATES!!!

iii) A day or two later after, I would TYPE ALL MY WRITTEN LECTURE NOTES and bold + highlight important parts. This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT b/c this is 3rd EXPOSURE to my materials and now you are forced to organize all that notes you wrote in lec in red/blue/black/green ink. Your material starts to go into long-term memory. Then read the book again if you have time.

iv) this is an extra precaution step that is sort of unnecessary---but for parts you don't know well, I would write it on a piece of paper. Not too many notes but just basic big ideas. Rewrite teh timeline too. And if you REALLY DON'T KNOW IT YET.....then go back to the book and re-read it.

If after those 4 steps you can't nail history.....then you're doing one or more of those steps wrong. Repeated exposure to materials over time puts the info in long term memory.

oh yeah and about (2) that's just to make yourself to stop hating on rote facts/dates
Why?

Think of it like this....."Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"
History, as boring as it is, offers many hidden insights and lessons to learn from that may or may not be useful in your future profession. What if you went to politics or eventually landed a political position of leadership? History is very useful there to refer back to for precedents and outcomes. If you go into law, it certainly can't hurt.

I don't think history has a direct impact on most people lives but it really does influence the flow of events and the way people think in today's society.

And last but not least: "Friends don't let friends invade Russia in the winter" --something Hitler could have found useful had he known his history (Napoleon did that and failed miserably....and then Hitler did that too)

#3 Yevgeniya

Yevgeniya

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

Same with the person above. I'm a science major. History is like my..lol worst subject, I don't know my history; I just know it for the sake of passing the class. I usually pay attention in class (all of them), take good notes, box in important information when the teachers/professors make emphasis on them. Believe me, if you take good notes, it will help you learn/understand the materials so much better, and it will cut down your study time by a ton. By good notes it doesn't mean writing it "neatly", yes neat but also nice [quality] notes..simple, to the point, write what's needed especially important info. If you don't like to read (like me) taking extremely good notes is the only way to save you...at least it saved me. Now I'm done with my history classes, all chemistry, physics and math now- my heaven :D

#4 SassyViet

SassyViet

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

repetion is the key to remembering things. You do a first read to get the general outline of the subject matter then do a second read and highlights the important things. If there are study questions it helps to do them to understand what the testers want you to know. nmemonics really helped me, the more silly and outrageous it is the easier to remember. I even went as far as writing things on pieces of paper and taped them to the wall or the ceiling so I can see them lying on my bed.

#5 BMPP

BMPP

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have never taken a history course in University, but there have been courses in which there were a lot of people, names and dates to remember. I remembered it by making up a silly story in my head that connected everyone, and tell it to your friends. That way it sticks and we tend to remember things better if we learn it in a fun way.

#6 Pressed4time

Pressed4time

faq.asianfanatics.net

• AF-n00b
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

It is the best way to remember dates & people as BMPP said. Just make a silly stories in your mind & try to relate that year or people with something you have in your mind or discuss that with your friends in funny way. Very rarely people forgot about fun waht they have made with their friends. So by doing this at the time of paper you will remember about that question which you have share with your friend in past. So this is what I do to remember the things.

I hope this reply would help you!!! Best of Luck.....