AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

Court rules employers can fire employees who are 'too attractive'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 sChiZoO14

sChiZoO14

►DMJ♥CSY◄

• News Crew
  • 37358 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

The Iowa Supreme Court has ruled that employers in the state can legally fire workers for being too attractive.

The legal precedent came after a court unanimously agreed that a dentist did not violate the Civil Rights Act by terminating an assistant whom his wife considered a threat to their marriage.

Emirates 24/7 reports that dentist James Knight testified that he had told Melissa Nelson on several occasions that her clothing was too tight, revealing and "distracting".

However both parties claim that Nelson never flirted with Knight, and Nelson sued for wrongful dismissal arguing that she would not have been fired as a man.

In 2009 the pair began exchanging texts, which were initially work-related but became more suggestive, culminating in Knight asking Nelson how often she had an orgasm.

When Knight's wife found out about the texts she demanded he fire Nelson, calling her a "big threat to our marriage".

The seven justices, all male, argued that the basic question presented by the case was "whether an employee who has not engaged in flirtatious conduct may be lawfully terminated simply because the boss views the employee as an irresistible attraction".

The court then ruled that bosses can fire workers they find too attractive and that such actions do not consitute unlawful discrimination.

dS

#2 mi.ny.veg

mi.ny.veg

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

The seven justices, all male, argued that the basic question presented by the case was "whether an employee who has not engaged in flirtatious conduct may be lawfully terminated simply because the boss views the employee as an irresistible attraction".

The court then ruled that bosses can fire workers they find too attractive and that such actions do not consitute unlawful discrimination.

WTF? I know common sense and the law don't go hand in hand, but isn't this just too much? This is basically discrimination on a whole new level.

Imagine some racist manager wants to fire someone of color and said that person is simply "too attractive and its a distraction". This is just messed up.

#3 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6931 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

What the hell

Discrimination towards pretty people

What the hell is this

They are giving the bosses a free hand on what they are able to do

#4 fefe 鸽子

fefe 鸽子

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

When Knight's wife found out about the texts she demanded he fire Nelson, calling her a "big threat to our marriage".

sounds pretty sexist to me.
and now i'm kind of pissed

#5 MadHatter

MadHatter

~Between Mind and Heart~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13467 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

yes, why don't you keep all the workplace full of fugly misrable fat people with no motivation at all but to work like zombies.

I vote for turtle necks, high waist slacks, suspenders, potato sack dresses, birds nest hair and unshaven faces.

why don't all the pretty people in IOWA move over to where I am, I am sure that I....er....i mean WE will appreciate you fine people just the way you are :D

#6 xxMiya

xxMiya

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4710 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:11 AM

do not consitute unlawful discrimination.

Posted Image

#7 BlackSky

BlackSky

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

In 2009 the pair began exchanging texts, which were initially work-related but became more suggestive, culminating in Knight asking Nelson how often she had an orgasm.

dS

She was scared her husband couldn't keep it in his pants so she got the assistant fired. Granted he can tell her to wear more appropriate clothing but he was involved when he was sending suggestive texts to her.
If anyone was a threat to the marriage it was the husband himself Posted Image

#8 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

b*llsh*t! Discrimination cases do pop up in rare circumstances. So much free time on their hands, so instead of firing the "attractive" why won't they fire the morons that are incapable of doing their jobs?! Maybe if they stop ogling and more work.........Posted Image

#9 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

It was an all male court go figure~~~~ And she was not crazy hot at all,,,,,, the dr just wanted to bang her so he fired her it was total bullsheet !

#10 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

^ Is that what you would do? Can't get into a girl's pants, so you get her fired instead. Posted Image

#11 Linnh

Linnh

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1783 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

That's why I don't want to be pretty, then at least I can keep my work.

ok I'm kidding.

#12 HeTieShou

HeTieShou

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1934 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

This is sooo ridiculous!! But then again, I am reading a lot of about interviewing and all lately and it makes me a bit sad that they also would hire you for the most part if they like you or not. Sad but true... You need to have chemistry with them... Therefore, I guess we all should not be shocked if we are hired or not based on our appearance..

#13 A-Hayl

A-Hayl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

An all male jury... what in the hell this earth come to?

#14 MichaelD

MichaelD

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

^ Is that what you would do? Can't get into a girl's pants, so you get her fired instead. Posted Image

Me fuckkkkkk no way I like to pay my bills and not get fired ! Plus where I work its 95 % men ;)