AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

'The Voice 4' Harsh Judges, Carat Cheung Cries from Elimination; Fred Cheng's Singing Highest Score

hong kong the voice 4 eric kwok sally yeh

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 foreverleila

foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36966 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

'The Voice 4' Harsh Judges, Carat Cheung Cries from Elimination; Fred Cheng's Singing Highest Score
Saturday June 22, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: The Sun, Mingpao (images)
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Last night TVB artists Carat Cheung, Mandy Wong, Oscar Leung, Fred Cheng, Ronald Law and Benjamin Yuen participated in the recording of the celebrity edition singing contest The Voice 4's first episode. The judges were Sally Yeh, Eric Woo, Dominic Chow and Eric Kwok. However, Mandy and Carat's performances were criticized badly by the judges, how pitiful!

Mandy performed Kary Ng's Love is the Most Powerful (愛是最大權利), but unfortunately she got off tune and didn't perform too well. She received the lowest score of the night. The judges were quite harsh on her as well, Eric Woo said: "Your voice is dry and narrow!" Eric Kwok said: "You said yourself that in singing, one must have clear pronunciations. You're also an actress, I took off a lot of points!" Mandy explained this is her first time performing the song, but the judges continued to criticize that she didn't prepare well and seem to have slacked a little! She also chose the wrong song.

Carat performed Joey Yung's Gorgeous Encounter (華麗邂逅). Her singing skills were only average, she got off tune and she knew her performance wasn't good. When she finished performing the song, she started crying. Eric Kwok criticized: "I gave you a really low score. I wrote this song, it's difficult to sing. You sang the song like you went to a world of fear." When Carat learned she was one of the lowest scoring contestants and that she's eliminated from the contest, she cried again. Mandy was also eliminated, but she still told her fans not to feel disappointed on Weibo. Carat's fans raised their signboards to show their support.

As for Oscar Leung, whom was rumored to have been one of the three TVB chosen ones, performed Danny Chan's Wait (等), but despite demonstrating his confidence before the contest, his performance was off tune and he sang the wrong key. Although he admitted himself that he "broke the key", Eric Woo still did not give him any face and criticized him harshly: "Danny Chan is very significant to me. He's outstanding. Your beat was a total mess, you ruined the song!" However, Dominic Chow refuted: "Enough, you bashed [him] for too long. He is a young man, still has a future to look forward to. You said he ruined the song, I say you are speaking nonsense." Oscar ends up in third and advances to the second round.

Fred Encouraged to be a Singer

On the other hand, there are several contestants with great singing skills, such as Fred Cheng, whom had participated in the 2001 TVB International Chinese New Talent Singing Championship before, performed Eason Chan's Modern Song (時代曲) exceptionally well. Eric Woo gave him a score of 80. Eric Kwok encouraged him to become a singer instead. Ultimately, Fred enters round 2 with the highest score. After working in TVB for 10 years, Fred is still playing minor or supporting roles. He smiled and said his opportunity finally came; he hopes he'll get to develop in both singing and acting in the future.

"Ka Ming" Stanley Cheung's performance was criticized by Dominic Chow that he had stiff stage manners; Ronald Law was said to have an old school singing style, similar to Wan Kwong, but he ends in second place.

Episode 2 Oscar Eliminated; Benjamin "Not Singer Material"

Episode 2 recording took place today (6/23), Oscar didn't perform any better and got criticized by the judges that he deserved the low scores. However, his 'momentum' wasn't as strong as Benjamin Yuen, who got heavily criticized by Dominic and Eric Kwok. They did not hesitate to tell Benjamin honestly that he just isn't "singer material". Oscar and Stanley Cheung had the lowest scores again and were eliminated.

When asked whether the judges were being too harsh on the contestants? Sally Yeh smiled: "Nope, but we will tell them what they need to improve on because the contestants are all artists from the industry. The expectations are higher."
  • cindylee likes this

#2 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

LOL what did ya expect? They aren't singers to begin with! Well with the exception of Fred Cheng, not surprised he came top.Posted Image

#3 uptowngirl

uptowngirl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

The should also judge the current crop of so called artists now that would interesting.

#4 Lunablue

Lunablue

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Carat Cheung, did she have to cry? I can't help but to see her as putting on a show here..not to mention she comes across a little fake to me.

I have noticed Fred Cheung in TVB dramas, he is such a cute decent guy, acting is not bad but never got the opportunity to shine in his cameo roles...I hope he does get some notice from TVB after this. He sings good and have the cutie looks. Just needs more screentime on TV, more promotion and publicity.

#5 UniversalSR

UniversalSR

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Fred has been touted as a rising TVB star in the past, it just funny how come he is still struggling as of yet

He deserves this and he should win this probably

Anyway, the voice 4 contestants are all sucky, no offense to the artistes involved, it seems that many of them arent singer material

#6 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

when did this air? where to watch?

#7 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4731 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

^It hasn't started airing yet...it probably will start airing in the next week or so, since the last episode is supposed to be a live broadcast so can't start too late.

I would love to see Fred win this too, since it's long overdue....but it's hard to say because more contestants will be added later on, including Edwin Siu and Vincent Wong, who as we all know, were singers turned actors, so they definitely have an advantage.

#8 ~ ♥ Malec ~

~ ♥ Malec ~

..::♥ Cutie ♥::..

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12563 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

^ they werent tat successful of singer so maybe it wont be their advantage as the judges also know and give them higher requirements.

Anyway it would be interesting to wait and see if there is some unexpected winners. Personally, I like the format of HK the voice than the other running the voice in the world. Waiting for it to be aired.

#9 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4731 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

^I guess we'll have to see what happens.

By the way....latest info is that this will start airing on July 7th.

#10 soul_less

soul_less

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

What were any of them expecting, they're gonna be on TV, if the judges dont act professional, they will get the heat for being unprofessional, anyone can see who can sing well and who cannot. Just be honest and give them guidance of what can be improved and how. If they cant take the heat from the judges and eventually the public, why be in the public eye and bother to participate?

#11 uptowngirl

uptowngirl

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

Who do you want on this stage? I'm interested of what they would say to Linda, fala, myolie, Ron, Kenneth, Tavia . if they were signing up for this...but I doubt they'll go on, now that they are established. Even IMO, no offence, some can't sing but they have a strong fan base.

#12 Edceeezyy

Edceeezyy

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

It's rare for actors to become a singer successfully, you either can sing or you can't. It's a different and more of a difficult talent than acting. Especially in HK I don't get why some with no musical background at all should even be singing, it's crucial for the judges to be harsh no matter how nice the contestant is. Just because one has a huge fanbase and is considered a good actor doesn't automatially make them a good singer.

I'm curious to see who the rest of the contestants are, someone earlier mentioned Edwin. He was once considered a huge pop idol ten years ago, he can sing. It would be interesting if Linda participates, I'm really curious to see what the judges have to say about her.

#13 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

Who do you want on this stage? I'm interested of what they would say to Linda, fala, myolie, Ron, Kenneth, Tavia . if they were signing up for this...but I doubt they'll go on, now that they are established. Even IMO, no offence, some can't sing but they have a strong fan base.

the voice 4 is open to every artiste in tvb to find new singing talent among tvb artistes not those who tvb already help release albums and already established! audition is by volunteer for those who think they can sing. will be very helpful for people like fred cheng and becky lee although not so for benjamin yuen and stanley cheung

sad that mandy didn't perform well enough and was eliminated early. she did ok last time during a duet with oscar and oscar also did well that time. maybe they pick wrong choice of songs for their voice range in this competition

so far mandy, carat, benjamin, stanley all got harsh criticism and eliminated. oscar also got bashed but fortunately not lowest and still survive. heard that becky lee is among the top too besides fred who has highest marks

curious to see if edwin and Vincent really will enter. honest remark although i like them i don't think they need this anymore since they were already singers with albums and are getting bigger roles in tvb series

wonder why nancy don't join. she can dance and sing well. maybe too busy filming

Edited by selliesellie, 24 June 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#14 mchu17

mchu17

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2921 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

it's too bad the people like Kate or Linda won't go through this...heck, even many of the so call singers in HK should go through this because a lot of them aren't singers compared to even 90's standards. Interested to see this because most of them are artists we're familiar with but I also liked the previous The Voice because it was truly good to watch and see new talent!

#15 daydreamgirls

daydreamgirls

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Forum Masters
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

TVB meed to change their English name. It shouldn't be called the voice cause it is totally different program to other country's The Voice. I find other country's the voice is much better than TVB version.

#16 ~ ♥ Malec ~

~ ♥ Malec ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12563 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

^ if i rmb rite, the name The Voice of HK was registered separately with The Voice with the different format so they can keep the name while the format of The Voice doesnt set up in HK. Nothing with the contestants, speaking about the format alone, there was rumour that The Voice 4 would turn the same to other The Voice but glad that no. I like the format of current HK the Voice.

#17 GQKeVyn

GQKeVyn

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

They should rename it to "The Voice: TVB Ke Le Fe's". Let's face it, a bunch of the contestants from previous seasons end up as KLF's and this season is filled with KLF's that TVB wants to promote.

Am I the only one who noticed that Sally Yeh (the only one on that panel of judges that can truly sing) was the only one that didn't get quoted for being highly critical?

#18 ~Akane~

~Akane~

Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6116 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have heard Vincent Wong sing and its not bad - hope he gets to enter this contest and be even more recognized as his acting recently is also very good too. Edwin is also a good candidate. Really support Fred too.

#19 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

^but vincent and edwin already promoted by tvb now and already signed wih record company before, better give chance for those kelefes with singing skills who never got signed or never got big roles in tvb! winning this might mean signing with eeg or neway star just like the past winners

#20 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4731 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

the voice 4 is open to every artiste in tvb to find new singing talent among tvb artistes not those who tvb already help release albums and already established! audition is by volunteer for those who think they can sing.

Actually, not necessarily....unlike the contestants of the previous 3 seasons of The Voice, most of those participating in this year's version were 'handpicked' by TVB execs and didn't have to go through auditions....so it's not entirely true that it's open to every artist to participate or that they participate if they're interested.

Given these circumstances, it's impossible that any of the currently 'popular' actors/actresses turned singers (i.e. Kate, Linda, Fala, etc.) are going to participate because TVB isn't going to let them make fools out of themselves (since the criticism will definitely be harsh, since majority of them can't sing) -- after all, those artists DO have an image to maintain....

Am I the only one who noticed that Sally Yeh (the only one on that panel of judges that can truly sing) was the only one that didn't get quoted for being highly critical?

Not surprised, since Sally has never been a harsh person when it comes to her speech -- she's known for being nice. And while she may be the only true 'singer' in the group (popularity-wise), the other 3 judges are well-known and respected behind-the-scenes music people (producers, writers, composers, music teachers, etc.) -- just like with previous years, I've always weighed the behind-the-scenes music people's comments more than the singers because to me, they are more qualified to speak on the subject (though of course, there are always exceptions....)

Don't get me wrong though -- I love Sally and she has always been one of my favorite singers from the 80s/90s...all I'm saying is that even though she's not as highly critical as the others (which again, I don't find surprising since it fits in with her personality), doesn't mean that she or the others will / won't be good judges.

Overall though, I will have to watch the show for myself before judging too much....but I will say that after following The Voice since the first season, the only season that I truly 'enjoyed' and felt the judging was truly 'fair' for the most part was season 3....curious to see how this 4th season 'celebrity edition' turns out....

#21 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

^well i can see why the established fadans who are horrible singers like linda, kate, fala won't join but don't think tvb handpicked all the contestants because a few days of open auditions to any artistes in tvb were held. some young kelefes such as candy chang have tried their luck but failed.

#22 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4731 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

^well i can see why the established fadans who are horrible singers like linda, kate, fala won't join but don't think tvb handpicked all the contestants because a few days of open auditions to any artistes in tvb were held. some young kelefes such as candy chang have tried their luck but failed.

No, I don't feel they handpicked 'all' the contestants (which is why I said "most" in my post) -- but the fact of the matter is that they DID handpick quite a few though (i.e. Edwin and Oscar for example) and unfortunately, that just doesn't sit will with me. By 'handpicking' contestants to participate -- doesn't matter if it's a few or most of them -- they're already giving me the feeling that this competition is 'rigged' to some extent....and it definitely takes away the credibility of the competition overall (makes it feel like TVB is putting on this 'show' just for ratings and this whole singing thing is actually acting).

TVB's defense is that certain artists couldn't find time in their schedule to audition, so that's why they were able to advance without going through that process....honestly though -- if that's the case, then those artists shouldn't even participate if they're so busy....why should they be given preferential treatment when it should be a fair playing field for everyone?

#23 ~ ♥ Malec ~

~ ♥ Malec ~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12563 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

^but vincent and edwin already promoted by tvb now and already signed wih record company before, better give chance for those kelefes with singing skills who never got signed or never got big roles in tvb! winning this might mean signing with eeg or neway star just like the past winners

I dont recall of any winner with Neway. Cherry Ho dun sign with anything. Mag with EEG. Hurbert Hu still in Txb and so does Jay Fung and Sheldon Lo. Alfred Hui went away of Star or not, I dont rmb. Who signed with Neway?

However recently tabloids that EEG and Txb turn bad because EEG wanna grab Txb's ppl to be their managed artists, so maybe the winner wont sign with EEG.

I wonder if some released albums such as Cilla Kung or Loretta Chow or Jack Wu will take part in or not. Let them do so. Glad that this version doesnt let the "established" ppl join, it can hurt much to listen to some of them. Better never give them chance to sing themesongs, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hong kong, the voice 4, eric kwok, sally yeh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users