AF needs funding again

Photo
- - - - -

'The Voice 4': Becky Lee Sings With Smoke Coming Out; Benjamin Yuen Told "Go Back to Acting"

hogn kong the voice 4 fred cheng benjamin yuen stanley cheung

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 foreverleila

foreverleila

Super Poster

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36892 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

'The Voice 4': Becky Lee Sings With Smoke Coming Out; Benjamin Yuen Told "Go Back to Acting"
Sunday June 23, 2013 Hong Kong
Source: Oriental Daily
Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

TVB's The Voice 4 celebrity version recorded its second episode last night. New contestants included Becky Lee and Aaryn Cheung; Oscar Leung, Fred Cheng, Stanley Cheung and Benjamin Yuen were back for round two. Becky performed the musical song Think of Me. Her singing skills startled everyone, even veteran singer Sally Yeh modestly expressed she isn't qualified to judge her. During Becky's performance, the stage released smoke to accompany her singing. Eric Woo immediately bashed TVB: "Save the smoke! The temperature can really impact the singing!"

After episode one, Fred Cheng came into the second round with the highest score. In this episode, he dedicated the English song Angels to his late grandfather. He said in tears: "When my grandfather passed away, I wasn't able to see him for the last time." Eric Woo instantly invited him to be a guest performer at his concert: "If I was the boss of TVB, I would definitely start a business and make you a singer." Oscar didn't have the singing skills, and was on the verge of getting eliminated. He later expressed he knows he has a problem with his rhythm and does not mind the criticisms.

Benjamin Yuen performed the Mandarin song How Many Small Loves Can Return (有多少愛可以重來), which got the lowest score of the night. The judges including Eric Kwok, Eric Woo and Sally Yeh encouraged Benjamin to just go back to acting. Eric Kwok said: "Last episode, I told you to be an actor, don't be a singer. This episode, I'm telling you don't waste your time. Your singing sounds like you're going through execution. Go back to acting!" Eric Woo thought Benjamin's voice sounds better when he's reading his lines, but he lacks the mediant key in his singing. Sally said his voice is wasted like a lullaby. Eric Woo joked: "Sally Yeh couldn't sleep last night, she called him and listened to his singing, then she went right to sleep."

Benjamin later wrote on Weibo: "I spent the last few years on studying acting, and in exchange I get: 'You go back to acting, don't sing.' Does it ache hearing this? Yes! It's really aching me, but I am grateful for every comment made by each judge because the truth is the most valuable."

"Ka Ming" Stanley Cheung was also eliminated. Eric Woo said his singing is systemless. All he does is sing loudly, like he's shouting.

#2 Kim4ever

Kim4ever

✰★ 咸濕婆 ★✰

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Who is Eric Woo? Is that a typo? I thought that dude in the white hair ( 3rd pic ) is Eric Moo (巫啟賢)Posted Image

#3 Bafflequeen

Bafflequeen

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone know where to watch voice 4? This is probably the most interesting season compare to the previous ones.

#4 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

have no idea becky can sing well! this is what the program right to be! to find hidden talents within tvb kelefes who never got chance to get big roles or found by record companies!

also surprised that stanley cheung can't sing well. i thought he's always been a singer

Edited by selliesellie, 24 June 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#5 MashiroKun

MashiroKun

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3108 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Benjamin Yuen performed the Mandarin song How Many Small Loves Can Return (有多少愛可以重來), which got the lowest score of the night. The judges including Eric Kwok, Eric Woo and Sally Yeh encouraged Benjamin to just go back to acting. Eric Kwok said: "Last episode, I told you to be an actor, don't be a singer. This episode, I'm telling you don't waste your time. Your singing sounds like you're going through execution. Go back to acting!"

hah! Eric Kwok is it? What kind of sh*t judge are you? Even if someone doesn't sing according to your standard, must you put him down like that by saying "Your singing sounds like you're going through execution."? A suicidal way to one's self esteem honestly. Hope Benjamin can stay strong, don't bother listening to this sh*t judge's comment. Eric Kwok is the one who should to stop talking. Wasting time? At least Ben tried to pursue his dreams. I don't think that's call wasting time at all, In fact it's a good experience for Ben to know where his pros and cons are at so he can seek improvement in the coming future. When one doesn't do anything then that's called wasting time. sh*t judge really is sh*t judge.

No one has any rights to determine other people's dreams. This phrase is for you Mr Eric Kwok.

Edited by SkullisNerd, 24 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

• Mnatalie likes this

#6 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4718 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

^I actually don't have a problem with the harsh cricitism from the 2 Erics -- honestly, this is a singing contest, not a silly talent competition! The judges are professional music people, so of course they are going to give direct feedback on the artists' performances and which areas they need to improve as well as letting them know whether they are a good fit for pursuing a music career -- what's wrong with that? Personally, I would actually be ticked off if the judges didn't speak the truth and instead 'sugar-coated' their criticisms for fear of hurting people's feelings (which is what some of the judges from the previous seasons of The Voice did).

As far as I'm concerned -- if an artist can't take harsh criticism (especially in an area that they aren't good at in the first place), then perhaps they shouldn't be in show business....

These types of competitions shouldn't be about trying to be 'PC' or 'nice' -- the judging should be fair and honest with no bias whatsoever attached to it....I am curious to see whether this year's judges will be able to achieve this...

#7 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

^have to agree that the judges does sound too harsh except sally yeh. don't even know who that eric woo is. benjamin indeed seems hurt by their overly harsh comments maybe the judges can tone down a little

#8 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4718 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Does anyone know where to watch voice 4? This is probably the most interesting season compare to the previous ones.

It hasn't started airing yet -- they're just recording the first 2 episodes right now. However, according to TVB's latest release, the show will start airing on July 7th and will continue every Sunday night until the finale episode (episode 10, which will supposedly be a live broadcast).

#9 MashiroKun

MashiroKun

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3108 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

^I actually don't have a problem with the harsh cricitism from the 2 Erics -- honestly, this is a singing contest, not a silly talent competition! The judges are professional music people, so of course they are going to give direct feedback on the artists' performances and which areas they need to improve as well as letting them know whether they are a good fit for pursuing a music career -- what's wrong with that? Personally, I would actually be ticked off if the judges didn't speak the truth and instead 'sugar-coated' their criticisms for fear of hurting people's feelings (which is what some of the judges from the previous seasons of The Voice did).

As far as I'm concerned -- if an artist can't take harsh criticism (especially in an area that they aren't good at in the first place), then perhaps they shouldn't be in show business....

hi llwy2, from the article, I personally don't have any problems with the other Eric, which is Eric Woo's comments because what he said was understandable. His remark was appropriate and fair to such competition. Harsh but not at the too harsh level which Eric Kwok should learn from him.

So yup, don't have problem with this eric. But the other one, which is Eric Kwok. sorry, I know he may be a well known whatever judge but the way he comment is way too wrong, He did not comment directly on Benjamin's singing skills like what Eric Woo was mentioning, but he just use harsh phrases such as "stop wasting your time" Therefore, I don't think he's doing his job as a judge. In fact, the way he comment about it, it made it sound like he's against Benjamin in person. Not very good or appropriate comment from a judge if you ask me. The other judges gave Benjamin better reviews. Even though they criticize, but at least they also pin point Ben's mistake which Eric Kwok failed to do so according to his statement. "Your singing sounds like you're going through execution" this comment is extremely unacceptable and inhuman. No one in humanity has any rights to refer someone's voice as something so insulting.

Edited by SkullisNerd, 24 June 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#10 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4718 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

^Hmmm….though I can see where you're coming from in that Eric Kwok's tone was a little different and he probably could have used a better choice of words… there’s also a possibility that the Media twisted his words too. In any case, I would have to wait until the show airs and hear the comments for myself before passing judgment (that is, if his comments make it into the final cut)…

To me, the part I found more disturbing was some of the judges admitting that they gave ‘sympathy points’ to some of the contestants because they’re a fan of those artists’ TV series…I’m hoping that didn’t actually happen (again, will have to wait until the show airs to really find out) because if it did, then obviously that’s a huge problem….
  • MashiroKun likes this

#11 MashiroKun

MashiroKun

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3108 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

^Hmmm….though I can see where you're coming from in that Eric Kwok's tone was a little different and he probably could have used a better choice of words… there’s also a possibility that the Media twisted his words too. In any case, I would have to wait until the show airs and hear the comments for myself before passing judgment (that is, if his comments make it into the final cut)…

To me, the part I found more disturbing was some of the judges admitting that they gave ‘sympathy points’ to some of the contestants because they’re a fan of those artists’ TV series…I’m hoping that didn’t actually happen (again, will have to wait until the show airs to really find out) because if it did, then obviously that’s a huge problem….

that's true, sometimes tabloids like this do twist people's words to make the news sound more entertaining. Hopefully when this programme airs, it isn't like what Eric Kwok mention. If he did mention those insightful phrases, I will say, he don't deserve to be a singing contest's judge because his choice of words are too harsh and improper. No one on earth deserves such comment. Posted Image

and is it true the judges actually gave sympathy points just because they like some of the artistes? that's like playing bias card. omg! where did you get that source? o_O. I hope that's not true because it will make the whole show turn out to be nothing but only unfairness.

But it's strange how they already spoil the first two episodes outcome when the show has yet to air ... It's like since the outcome was revealed already, there will not be much point to watch.

Edited by SkullisNerd, 24 June 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#12 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4718 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

and is it true the judges actually gave sympathy points just because they like some of the artistes? that's like playing bias card. omg! where did you get that source? o_O. I hope that's not true because it will make the whole show turn out to be nothing but only unfairness.

It was in one of the articles that came out either yesterday or day before (can’t remember which source it was – I think it was on.cc (Oriental Daily) but don’t quote me on that, since I read from so many sources that sometimes it’s hard to remember which is which…lol). Supposedly, one of the judges was quoted as saying that he likes watching Mandy Wong and Oscar Leung’s series, so he did cut them a little slack in terms of the scoring for their performances (not sure if he said this during the show or in an interview afterwards)…if this is true, then I would definitely question his impartiality as a judge (again, not sure if it's true or not, but that's what was 'reported')...

#13 Moonshade

Moonshade

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

This sounds as fake and staged as the voice of China.

#14 JoeyMan

JoeyMan

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

I saw the show live on my tvpad. All the really harsh comments never appear on the show so TVB pretty much cut all the strong negative comments for their artists. FYI is not Eric Woo should be Eric Moo. Eric posses a powerful voice, he was very successful in HK around 1994 but sort of faded as CD sell drop. His still popular in Taiwan but sing mostly Mandarin song only now. He have been judges for many Asian singers contest shows so he know what his doing. Plus he sing & speak Cantonese too so picking him as judge was one thing TVB did right.

#15 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

^the harsh comments were edited out by tvb so that only good comments left. they said it was to make the show a positive show and not a show for negativity

#16 llwy12

llwy12

AF Translator

• Global Ministers
  • 4718 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

^the harsh comments were edited out by tvb so that only good comments left. they said it was to make the show a positive show and not a show for negativity

What a bunch of bullcrap! If TVB wants to make it a "positive" show, then tell the judges not to say anything "negative"....why let them make the criticisms they are supposed to make and then edit them out? By doing that, TVB is essentially telling the judges: "I disagree with what you say and here's my way of showing it!" To me, it's a sign of disrespect!!

#17 The Yen Man

The Yen Man

faq.asianfanatics.net

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I saw the show live on my tvpad. All the really harsh comments never appear on the show so TVB pretty much cut all the strong negative comments for their artists. FYI is not Eric Woo should be Eric Moo. Eric posses a powerful voice, he was very successful in HK around 1994 but sort of faded as CD sell drop. His still popular in Taiwan but sing mostly Mandarin song only now. He have been judges for many Asian singers contest shows so he know what his doing. Plus he sing & speak Cantonese too so picking him as judge was one thing TVB did right.

Had to look up who Eric Moo was, I totally remember him from the 90's JSG's when I watched it as a kid. I didn't know that is his English name. The guy can definitely sing. I think Andy Lau wrote or produced that one song that he won a JSG Top 10 Song award for, can't remember exactly. I think I still have a CD with that song somewhere lol.

#18 selliesellie

selliesellie

Asian Fanatic

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

didn't know eric moo was a prominent singer in the past!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hogn kong, the voice 4, fred cheng, benjamin yuen, stanley cheung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users